User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 14 Jun 2004, 17:21   #1
yupster
Dawsons Creek r0x

yupster is an unknown quantity at this point
Anti-bot questions to login page

Any chance we could move the security check (anti-bot question, or whatever you call that page that I get after I put my user/pass) to the same page as the login please. Annoys the hell out of me that there is 2 different pages. Shouldnt be so hard to just have 1!

In advance, thank you

YUPPY - Dedicated gamer since.. hmm.. a long time !

[1up]

Round5 - 16:23
Round11 - 21:1
Round12 - 22:5
yupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 17:59   #2
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of
Re: Anti-bot questions to login page

Im not sure if i understood you right - you want the entry field for username, password and anti-bot question on the same page? So you can fill out all three fields at once?

In that case, here is a pseudo-code script of the dumbest bot in the world:

10 load pa login page
20 check if question is "a printer is something which prints text or objects onto paper, or grass?" and GOTO 10 if it isnt
30 fillout bot-answer "paper" and login fields

mmmh
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 18:00   #3
AzureWrath
Evil has returned

AzureWrath is an unknown quantity at this point

'i agree'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyButcher
LCH is too far away, now they are the same roid amout as 1up
AzureWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 18:01   #4
Damon
TringTring

Damon is an unknown quantity at this point

Would be handy indeed.
I know planeti/\ does it on the same page.

Rnd 3 : 39:23:13 CpV
Rnd 4 : ?:?:? Bluetuba
Rnd 5 : 30:25 VtS
Rnd 6 : 28:9:? VtS
Rnd 7 : 17:6:3 VtS
Rnd 8 : 31:2 Adelante / Fury
Rnd 9 : ?:? Eclipse
Rnd 10 : ?
Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 18:20   #5
yupster
Dawsons Creek r0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramihyn
Im not sure if i understood you right - you want the entry field for username, password and anti-bot question on the same page? So you can fill out all three fields at once?

In that case, here is a pseudo-code script of the dumbest bot in the world:

10 load pa login page
20 check if question is "a printer is something which prints text or objects onto paper, or grass?" and GOTO 10 if it isnt
30 fillout bot-answer "paper" and login fields

mmmh
If a bot actually was able to read the picture, wouldnt it just calc out all the stupid math questions?

I think the entire point of having a picture instead of plain txt is that a bot cant read it..

[1up]

Unread 14 Jun 2004, 18:35   #6
xtothez
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of

The admins are seriously naive if they think no bot could answer these questions with a reasonable success rate. It's just another half-assed attempt at fixing a problem which ends up annoying the users.
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 18:38   #7
yupster
Dawsons Creek r0x

Thats my point. It annoys me. Wouldnt annoy me as much if it was on the same page as login... It takes time, and its incredibly annoying

[1up]

Unread 14 Jun 2004, 18:41   #8
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupster
If a bot actually was able to read the picture, wouldnt it just calc out all the stupid math questions?
It could do that. Thats why AFAIK the ppl who do the questions, prefer the common knowledge questions a lot. As they "assume" that a bot would need to use a maintained database with answers to login.

However, my basic point is that if the page is combined, a bot could load the login page hundreds of times without penalty while it looks for the one question it can answer. Ofc. you could argue that this would be the best bot-detection ever - just look for those which do hundreds of reloads before loging in without error

Quote:
I think the entire point of having a picture instead of plain txt is that a bot cant read it..
The thing is that it is very very simple to detect a single previously known question. If somebody really has no clue about detecting characters in a gfx, they could simply take a long question like the one i mentioned, manually remove all the disturbing lines and then keep loading the login page till they find a question where all dot's of their known question are set in the anti-bot gfx. That would be dead-simple and unless there is a longer question which contains the same text in the beginning, it should have a 0% error rate.

Basically with the current way how the questions are rendered, your suggestion would rip a huge hole into the whole anti-bot security. I guess i have to look if planeti/\ are n00bish enough to do that

ps : if you arent able to program, you can use small free/shareware tools to compare the login gfx question and your stored manually edited one. Tools which tell you how "equal" a gfx is. So it would boil down to 10 minutes of scripting.
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 18:55   #9
yupster
Dawsons Creek r0x

What the other game does or doesnt do, have nothing to do with this.

If it actually would make security worse, the current way might be the best.. However, I dont like it

[1up]

Unread 14 Jun 2004, 20:58   #10
Spaced
[WP]

Spaced is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramihyn
you could argue that this would be the best bot-detection ever - just look for those which do hundreds of reloads before loging in without error
Isn't that why the system blocks the account after a couple of incorrect answers?

Ex [WP] Peon
Ex [NoS] Officer
Ex [Coven] Officer
Ex [=V=] Whore
Ex [Ely] Peon

Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperie de connard d'enculé de ta mère! You see, it's like wiping your arse with silk, I love it.
Spaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 23:18   #11
Ramihyn
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaced
Isn't that why the system blocks the account after a couple of incorrect answers?
That is the whole problem with this suggestion. If you put the login/password and anti-bot question on the same page, a bot/script can see if he likes the question before having to give the username/pwd. So it simply reloads the page to get a different question and how is PA supposed to apply a penalty like "only 10 tries" to a user account if the bot never gives a user/pwd before he knows the answer?

By connection/session/IP tracking?
Unread 15 Jun 2004, 04:37   #12
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

You know, perhaps it would be handy to have the questions on the login page itself, but I must admit, I'm not sure I get as annoyed as some of you about the questions themselves.
Unread 15 Jun 2004, 06:50   #13
thaeter
Got my villain necktie

thaeter is an unknown quantity at this point

it takes all of ****ing 3 seconds to log in, now unless you have mutiple accounts this shouldnt really bother you.
thaeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jun 2004, 10:33   #14
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

The questions are on a different page to the user-name and password, because it allows us to verify them first. When a question is subsequently got wrong we can then add it to the right count. If they were all on the same page then anyone who got a question they couldn't answer would just not fill in their details, meaning that the "10 strikes and you're locked for a tick or two" rule would be pointless. I'm sure that it probably could be done on the same page in some way, but I don't see any particular reason to change it.
Unread 15 Jun 2004, 11:17   #15
yupster
Dawsons Creek r0x

Cause its annoying

[1up]

Unread 15 Jun 2004, 11:24   #16
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

5-10 seconds of your time, or making it 100 times easier to make a bot. difficult decision
Appocomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jun 2004, 14:33   #17
Ramihyn
Emperor

Quote:
What the other game does or doesnt do, have nothing to do with this.
Indeed - however i now looked at the login page of that other game and couldnt believe it. I made some screenshots for my "Completely pointless implementations" collection and highly recommend that "protection" for any cracker/botcoder who needs a quick and easy success.

Hi la ri ous
Unread 15 Jun 2004, 15:28   #18
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

you're all ranting as thought the bot questions achieve something anyway...

-mist
mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jun 2004, 17:37   #19
Quanticles
l337 Beyond Repair

Quanticles is an unknown quantity at this point

Have the picture on the same page... BUT, have the text be harder for the computer to read. ATM it seems like all we have is two random lines. You should be able to change the font, where it actually is written in the image, the color, make the words twist around, distort the words, etc.

ATM it would be so easy just to count the pixels vertically to see what letters you have, any idiot can see that. But if you have *real* images with words w/ different fonts that twist, that would be really had to figure out how to get a bot through.

Writing the code to generate these images is easy....
Quanticles is offline   Reply With Quote