User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 21 Nov 2002, 15:47   #1
Vanilla

Vanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura about
Unhappy The fireman strikes may ruin my christmas

I noticed they had a strike on the 18th-24th of december (or there abouts).

Someone said they would be closing the airports on these days, too dangerous to have them open without firemen (it could be false).

I fly back to England on the 22nd december. Now if the airports are closed it will mean i'll have to wait until late on the 24th before flying, the +5 hours means most of my christmas will be gone.

he;lp
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 15:52   #2
Kill
Banned

Kill is infamous around these parts
Re: The fireman strikes may ruin my christmas

Quote:
Originally posted by Vanilla
I noticed they had a strike on the 18th-24th of december (or there abouts).

Someone said they would be closing the airports on these days, too dangerous to have them open without firemen (it could be false).

I fly back to England on the 22nd december. Now if the airports are closed it will mean i'll have to wait until late on the 24th before flying, the +5 hours means most of my christmas will be gone.

he;lp
If there was a serious emergency the fireservice would cover it so no point in closing airports.

Omen Incorporated CEO

Heresy CEO [=H=]
"Born of Heresy"

<milkey> its four am ..
<milkey> youre freaking crazy
<Killmark> 4.20
<Killmark>
<milkey> dont matter
<Killmark> i need roidies!
Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 16:04   #3
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice
Take comfort in the fact that they'll be getting a 16%+ bonus for it......
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 17:50   #4
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
i thought airports provided their OWN fire services.

edit : ps. no airports where closed during the last lot a few days ago.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 18:02   #5
Lord Boredom

Quote:
Originally posted by NEWSBOT3
i thought airports provided their OWN fire services.
indeed
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 18:07   #6
GavGull
Here Today

GavGull is an unknown quantity at this point
Have the government took the red fire engines back yet?
GavGull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 18:09   #7
Woof
Banned

Woof is an unknown quantity at this point
Airports have their own fireservices, which are not affected by the strike.
They are employed by the airport, and as such, are private workers. The strike only covers the public sector workers, who are employed by the goverment.
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 18:34   #8
Cicada
p a r r a c i d a

Cicada is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by GavGull
Have the government took the red fire engines back yet?
the armed forces are refusing to cross the picket lines apparently
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 18:47   #9
seventh
Lai

seventh is an unknown quantity at this point
heh, the government should give em it
theyre like, doing amazing jobs, what theyre paid is ****ing ****
[18:02]<DJ_Bass>When i was just a knee basher i ran outside with a coat hanger above my head thinking it would repel lightning

[18:03]<Ashknight>If it hit you, now that would explain a LOT
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Follow the guy in front
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
<[7th]Seventh> liseh?
<Bloomers> hmmm
<Bloomers> he's okay
<Bloomers> you are fitter tho
seventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 18:50   #10
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by seventh
heh, the government should give em it
theyre like, doing amazing jobs, what theyre paid is ****ing ****
What about teachers?

In London, Tube drivers are payed more.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 18:53   #11
Little Timmy
Winker

Little Timmy will become famous soon enoughLittle Timmy will become famous soon enough
But I think theres another strike planned by airport workers..which includes all security personnel and Fire crews.so effectively without either the airports would be closed.

Yeah so what Im an Original Pr0nstar

some of us have serious jobs
Little Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 18:54   #12
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by seventh
what theyre paid is ****ing ****
No they're not. They are paid relatively well. £8:50 an hour by all accounts, not including other sources of income, etc.

There are people in the public services who are a lot worse off than the Firefighters. If they were truly underpayed, like some people in the public sector are, I'd probably have more sympathy for them. As it is, the demand of 44% is pure greed on their part. Money should be going to the people who are currently paid a pitance.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 23:21   #13
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

the_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud of
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Cicada

err, if the picket lines needed to be crossed there is no way in hell the government would use the army.

besides the big problem isnt lack of modern fireengines. its lack of training to drive/operate them. the government has full access to well over 100 modern appliances which are used for training purposes.

the reason they werent used during the last strike: the army wasnt trained to use them.
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 23:27   #14
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

the_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson

No they're not. They are paid relatively well. £8:50 an hour by all accounts, not including other sources of income, etc.

no. they used to be paid relatively well when they negotiated the last pay settlement in the 70s. then they argeed a pay structure that would tie in wages relative to the average wage of the manual worke - which at the time was 14% above the national avergae wage. today the average wage of a manual worker is below that of the national average wage.

so in actual fact they are being paid ralatively badly.

(ps - you shouldnt include 'other sources of income' since it kind of defeats your point that they are well paid. if they were well paid then they wouldnt need another soure of income (oh sorry i forgot, they are greedy *******s and want to work every hour god sends so they can live in luxury. forget never getting to spend time with their family or being constantly tired from doing two jobs))
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 23:42   #15
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Originally posted by Cicada

heh

The few squaddies I know seem more than happy to cross the picketlines, however, why oh why would we want to entrust expensive equipment such as fire engines to people whos party trick is crushing beer cans on their foreheads?
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 00:51   #16
Ulysses
Impudent

Ulysses is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson

There are people in the public services who are a lot worse off than the Firefighters. If they were truly underpayed, like some people in the public sector are, I'd probably have more sympathy for them. As it is, the demand of 44% is pure greed on their part. Money should be going to the people who are currently paid a pitance.
Incorrect,

The fire fighters are ASKING for a raise to take them to a proposed £8.50 per hour, at present they get as a basic rate around £5.40.

Most of the married fire fighters with families have to claim tax credit top up benefit to make ends meet, those that dont,work a second job on thier days off.

To put this into a real perspective, consider this.

An Electrician can get a pay rate of £13.00 an hour (outside London)
A Plumber can get the same, as can a bricklayer and a plasterer.

All of the above are Tradesmen who have served a recognised 4 year apprenticeship.

A Fire Fighter has to undertake 4 years training to become qualified, and considered fully trained, yet he only gets £5.40 per hour.

I know who I would be happy to pay more to?

How many electricians would risk their lives to save your children, or your mother?
Ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 00:56   #17
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
The government gave themselves a payrise of 41%
The firefighters asked for 40%.
The government offered 11%
The Firefighters went on strike.
The government LOWERED the offer to 4% and said they couldnt afford to offer any more.

Someone in Whitehall is spoiling for a fight , which they will win, but at the cost of peoples lives.

One side sees the short term picture
One side THINKS they see the bigger picture.

Neither side is coming out of this with any credibility.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote