User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 28 Jul 2005, 01:52   #1
Freedom
Howling Rain

Freedom will become famous soon enoughFreedom will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Battle Calculators

Would Joror be proud of us all?
Well would you really be proud? The original project was released under the Open source initiative license. This to me means that any changed made to the original code, should also be available to the public. I recently requested a copy of several sources and all of them refused saying it was their code!!!

Let me take an extract from the original Joror calc install.txt...

Quote:
TAKE HEED OF THE FOLLOWING POINTS:
- feel free to edit the code but keep a reference to the original maker,
- respect the open source initiative, respect the PA crew

Is it time we followed what we preached?
I feel that for too long now communities have been taking information but not doing the same back and this is just one good example. Should the main alliances with these calcs bow to pressure, this threads pressure and release the source code of their working versions so that other alliances and people can use this technology? I certainly think so, but what about the rest of you?

Good Examples!
A good example was when pilkara.com released their tools site so that other people could use it. It didn't quite work as the complete code was never released and I believe accidentally, but at least they tried.

Alliance Calcs
Particularly recent bcalcs I’d like to see released properly!
http://bcalc.visionhq.org/

Avoiding Flames...
Someone said to me that any work they do shouldn't have to be released and I said
Quote:
No, but you coded yours from scratch, whereas other persons have used the original code, it is those I expect to share!
and the person then agreed.
Basically I am only applying this to the specific situation of Joror Battle Calc, and when Gnomeking passed his on....

Last edited by Freedom; 28 Jul 2005 at 02:01. Reason: Flames...
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jul 2005, 01:57   #2
Intruder
Jolt took my jap girl :(

Intruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant future
Re: Battle Calculators

good point

|| Absolute || eXilition || FAnG || Insomnia || Seraphim || Silver || Vengeance ||

Channels:

#brasil #Counter-Strike #ChillSpot #cro #dawnofthedead #dragonslair #elurstaheht #Exilition #fang #fnp #g33k #HoneyBunny #insomnia #kon #Mirage #nebula #OuZo #planetarion #pta #rpg #Silver #the_witches #vgn

Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jul 2005, 01:58   #3
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom
Alliance Calcs
Particularly recent bcalcs I’d like to see released properly!
http://bcalc.visionhq.org/
Why Vision's calc in particular?

And most of the alliances leave their calcs out in the open for people to freely use - why would you need to make a copy of something, host it yourself, when it was already publicly available to use without restriction?
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jul 2005, 02:02   #4
Freedom
Howling Rain

Mainly for an alliances fear that the data used in the calc *could* but very unlikely be been tracked and organised to gather profiles....
Unread 28 Jul 2005, 02:06   #5
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Mainly for an alliances fear that the data used in the calc *could* but very unlikely be been tracked and organised to gather profiles....
Well, as a Vision officer for 8 rounds, i *know* that Vision's battlecalc does nothing of the sort. Only the Evil Alliances (tm) like 1up would do something like that .
Unread 28 Jul 2005, 03:30   #6
TheRat
Retired

TheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
Well, as a Vision officer for 8 rounds, i *know* that Vision's battlecalc does nothing of the sort. Only the Evil Alliances (tm) like 1up would do something like that .
Oi, propaganda!

To the original poster; quit being so paranoid, and be glad someone takes the time to maintain them for you.

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired
TheRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jul 2005, 04:11   #7
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

His point is that the one who coded it wished it to be open source, so therefore they SHOULD keep it like that, in respect to the one who made it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jul 2005, 07:35   #8
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

1up is the reason why buses always go in fours on the opposite side whilst none appears on yours.

edit: agreed
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jul 2005, 07:41   #9
Altor

Altor is just really niceAltor is just really niceAltor is just really niceAltor is just really niceAltor is just really nice

I made a forum account especially to reply to this, hope you're happy

I sometimes (I remember once at least) get mails about the bcalc, and I supply a tar of the source code when requested. I guess you didn't mail me/us yet, and ask for it, else you wouldn't mention our bcalc as the one you're really interested in...

On a sidenote, our bcalc is Blazde's bcalc, of which the source (afaik) is/was available freely on the internet for quite some time, with some recent modifications last round for the stealing changes, which can be found on these very forums if you search for them.

On another sidenote, Joror's Bcalc afaik is written in PHP, whereas our/Blazde's bcalc is a cgi script written in C++ from scratch (as a copy of Joror's ofc)

Anyway, as I said, had you mailed us and asked for the source, you would probably have received it...

Greets,
Altor, VsN Techie

*mod* To save you having to look for that bcalc and changes post: http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=184409

Last edited by Altor; 28 Jul 2005 at 07:51.
Altor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jul 2005, 10:36   #10
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Well, Freedom, that wasnt too hard, was it?
Unread 28 Jul 2005, 11:05   #11
xtothez
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of

Unfortunately I let the original Pilkara copy of Blazde's calc get out of date. I've emailed Altor for the source, and will offer it for download via pilkara when reciveved.
Unread 28 Jul 2005, 12:56   #12
SpaceMonkey
Warden
Reactor Champion

SpaceMonkey is a splendid one to beholdSpaceMonkey is a splendid one to beholdSpaceMonkey is a splendid one to beholdSpaceMonkey is a splendid one to beholdSpaceMonkey is a splendid one to beholdSpaceMonkey is a splendid one to beholdSpaceMonkey is a splendid one to behold

I've never had any mails about my bcalc, maybe you should have tried harder Freedom

If anyone gives a monkey's, my calc is a c cgi written from scratch. It bears no relation to Joror's or Blazde's.

http://blern.gotadsl.co.uk/bcalc.html
SpaceMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2005, 08:10   #13
Freedom
Howling Rain

See your all good men realy
Unread 2 Aug 2005, 22:58   #14
flikman
Idiot

flikman can only hope to improve

Quote:
If that were the case they'd release a copy of the source without the spyware.
Unread 3 Aug 2005, 06:25   #15
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by flikman
If that were the case they'd release a copy of the source without the spyware.
Which would mean that "the others" can use it to run on their own private servers. People shouldnt underestimate a decent cloaked backdoor - assuming that "i got the source" means that you understood every line of it is often nonsense.

And a general point - there is no need to put "spyware" into the sourcecode of a battlecalc - you can perfectly do all the spying you want without a single line in the sourcecode of the tool.

The sad thing is that "reverse lookups" to gather information like early warnings about planned attacks is technically easy to do and the PA community is sad enough to drop to those levels
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2005, 07:04   #16
Chaos

Chaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor
I sometimes (I remember once at least) get mails about the bcalc, and I supply a tar of the source code when requested.
That would be me. and I still got it here. I was planing on adding some new features I thought ppl would like. but HR requires to much of my time atm. so it's on hold atm.
R7-R11 : HR HC / NoS Head Techie / NoS WC
R12 : Retired <- GF gives ultimatum. PA or Her.
R13 : HR Peon -> BC -> MC (GC of Winning Gal)
R14 : HR HC
R15 : Retired <- GF dumps me cuz of PA.
R16 : HR Peon
R19 : Omen BC
R20-R30 : Retired
R31 : HR Peon

Someone give me a dictionary.
Cuz I don't seem to know what retired means. =/
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote