User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions

Unread 14 Oct 2004, 20:23   #1
Stroyer

Stroyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Alliances, how do you communicate

I see the alliance-pages have lost a lot of functions since the last time I played PA. Therefore I just wonder: do the big alliances use their own pages rather than the PA alliance pages now?
Stroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2004, 20:27   #2
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Alliances, how do you communicate

big alliances have always used private tools

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2004, 20:34   #3
Stroyer

k. What's best for small alliances?
I mean, if I have the skills to make my own alliance-website with login etc, what would be best for the members to use?
Unread 14 Oct 2004, 20:38   #4
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all

It would probably be best for you to join a medium sized alliance, see what they do, and then after the round, start your own alliance with your own tools, similar to what the alliance you were in uses.
Unread 14 Oct 2004, 21:47   #5
AzureWrath
Evil has returned

AzureWrath is an unknown quantity at this point

..and if you do make a webby for your alliance, make sure it has some useful info, not just a forum. A member logs in, it shows them their rank in the alliance, defense totals and so forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyButcher
LCH is too far away, now they are the same roid amout as 1up
AzureWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2004, 22:06   #6
Fyodor
Behe

Fyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant future

the most important thing for communication is irc. whether you use a private server or netgamers channels is up to you. once your alliance becomes strong enough, youll probably want a private server, as NG is not very secure. Then again, ive been in quite a few private servers that have been comprimised to. Either way. Irc communication is way more important then a website.
Unread 14 Oct 2004, 22:36   #7
jvg
legion pe0n

jvg is an unknown quantity at this point

women loves priv irc server will score for you !
point system and forum u cant get around these days:P

<Azuth> I've done alot of Crazy things for PA
<Azuth> Telling a nekkid girl I can't stay over anyway as I have to go home and save my gal is right up there with spraining my foot with my bare hands to up my activity
jvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2004, 23:30   #8
AzureWrath
Evil has returned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyodor
the most important thing for communication is irc. whether you use a private server or netgamers channels is up to you. once your alliance becomes strong enough, youll probably want a private server, as NG is not very secure. Then again, ive been in quite a few private servers that have been comprimised to. Either way. Irc communication is way more important then a website.
who says NG isnt secure? tell that to 1up

Quote:
Unread 14 Oct 2004, 23:51   #9
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all

and ND
Unread 15 Oct 2004, 00:01   #10
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

we do it the hardcore old-skool way, innit.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Oct 2004, 00:23   #11
AzureWrath
Evil has returned

main drawback with priv servers is people dossing your server i do believe

Quote:
Unread 15 Oct 2004, 00:39   #12
Fyodor
Behe

Fyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureWrath
who says NG isnt secure? tell that to 1up
Who is 1up?
Unread 15 Oct 2004, 06:09   #13
Veil05
NE

Veil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Who is 1up?
Fur..Ecli..Erm.. Im not sure :\
Unread 15 Oct 2004, 06:26   #14
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

thats bollocks,

unless you have a good techie, Netgamers is alot more secure then having a private server, you just need to make sure you set all the settings right, i.e have your private channels +inrst and your public +nt and the channsls with invisible mode on (Netgamers website help file is good thing to read)

For a small/new alliance unless your lucky enough to be "blessed" with a decent techie stay with NG until you find one who can give you a good level of security, don't just think "We need a private IRC to be '1337' ."

Anyway this post here is a good thing to read before starting any alliance, written by various people before r11

edit- and yes, 1up is a good example of why you dont need a private IRC to do well

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Oct 2004, 07:35   #15
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

The advice to join an alliance first sound very good :-) Don't start an alliance if you havent played serious before.

BTW What is IRC ? :gollum:
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Oct 2004, 08:09   #16
Veil05
NE

Veil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy
The advice to join an alliance first sound very good :-) Don't start an alliance if you havent played serious before.

BTW What is IRC ? :gollum:
Interactive Relay Chat, its the program for big boys.
Unread 15 Oct 2004, 09:06   #17
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of

Quote:
once your alliance becomes strong enough, youll probably want a private server, as NG is not very secure.
This is bullshit. See Stiflers post alongside this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veil05
Interactive Relay Chat
Internet Relay Chat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureWrath
main drawback with priv servers is people dossing your server i do believe
That, as well as the fact that most people don't have the first clue what they're doing. You'll be surprised how many so-called techies will run the first IRC services they find (Anope) in it's default configuration (wide-open to people after intel).
Unread 15 Oct 2004, 09:39   #18
Veil05
NE

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtothez
Internet Relay Chat.
I said internet, i just spelt it wrong
Unread 15 Oct 2004, 14:22   #19
Stroyer

Well, I have been in alliances before, but at that time the PA-alliance pages were mutch better.
We are just a group of friends who use to meet at daytime, and we all have each others MSNM (so that should be a good replacement for an IRC-channel).

But that's not the point. I just wondered what was best: PA or own webpage.
Thank you for all the ansvers!
Unread 15 Oct 2004, 19:28   #20
Shaithess

Shaithess is an unknown quantity at this point

If you end up growing at all, IRC is definitely the best. I use IRC for PA and chatting to random people (ND, I love 'em all ), and MSN for chatting to my mates...

With IRC you can have multiple people on at once in one room and it's easy to see who's saying what. If you have a DC who needs to make several calls, they can just notice the whole room and then those with the right ships can pm him back...

With MSN your overall co-ordination will be a LOT weaker
Shaithess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2004, 05:00   #21
Lei~
~Gon

Lei~ is on a distinguished road

stroyer if you need help you know where to find m
Lei~ is offline   Reply With Quote