User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 26 Aug 2004, 02:01   #1
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Pilkara.com now open source

Yes, you heard right. Everyone's favourite PA tools www.pilkara.com have now been made open-source to encourage better third-party development for PA. It is available under the Mozilla Public License 1.1.
Special thanks to kaos for cleaning up all my retarded code, and er for writing most of it too.

Download from:
http://www.pilkara.com/source/Pilkara.tar.bz2 [61483 Byte]
http://www.pilkara.com/source/Pilkara.tar.gz [72510 Byte]
http://www.pilkara.com/source/Pilkara.zip [102411 Byte]

Edit: Those files are just in different archive formats, you don't need to download all three like many have been doing...

Last edited by xtothez; 26 Aug 2004 at 19:07.
xtothez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2004, 02:34   #2
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pilkara.com now open source

\o/
Unread 26 Aug 2004, 07:00   #3
Phant
Meep meep vs. 3.89

Phant is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont know jack about those things, but this sounds like good news

\o/
Unread 26 Aug 2004, 07:29   #4
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

Great move
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2004, 13:28   #5
Lockhead
Cabeza Coder

Lockhead is a jewel in the roughLockhead is a jewel in the roughLockhead is a jewel in the rough

Thanks a lot!

Love ya, kaos

lockhead.net

Quote:
Round 24 Conspiracy HC Comment at my planet
<Germania> 4.9.1
<Germania> hes our top hostile
Lockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2004, 13:48   #6
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

gasp.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2004, 16:57   #7
alch
Retired

alch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud of

great move xto/kaos
Unread 26 Aug 2004, 19:47   #8
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

thanks guys, this is a really big leg up for the smaller alliances, appreciated

oh and congrats on how successful its been

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2004, 21:17   #9
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute

Incidentally, what sort of machine has it been running on? Was that a machine dedicated specifically to it the task? Approximately how large did the database(s) get?
Unread 26 Aug 2004, 21:34   #10
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

on a side note, why are all the tool's source codes being released?!

on another side note... im not complaining

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
Unread 26 Aug 2004, 23:26   #11
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

thx guys

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2004, 23:44   #12
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Arfy
to get developement moving along, or in the case of blazds bcalc cos he aint playing anymore so cba be bothered to do more work on it :|

on another note there is a discussion forum for pilkara setup but cant be posted here cos plan3tia in the url can give it if u contact me on irc

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2004, 23:52   #13
The Real Arfy

well im gonna attempt to create some nifty little things with it, once again thanks, and these are all great for the game and community

Unread 27 Aug 2004, 00:25   #14
kaos
peon

kaos is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Incidentally, what sort of machine has it been running on? Was that a machine dedicated specifically to it the task? Approximately how large did the database(s) get?
its running on a dual 1 ghz p3 with a scsi hdd (which run different other sites, like the entire ely stuff, some personal stuff, some of my development tools [svn, bla ], the ely irc, the ely services, etc) but the server didn't really show much load, so you could run pilkara itself prolly on some 300 mhz box (would take some time to generate the graphs there, but it would still be highly usable, for up to 10-15 mill. hits each month i guess)
the database size itself never grew too much (i think after r8 [the round with prolly the most scans inserted] it was about 1 gig) and some 4-5 gigabyte for the imagedata (they are stored in _flat_ files[see the source *cough* ], for speed reasons ) tho this heavily depends on round length etc
loading and processing the dumps takes about 10 seconds for 7k players on that box

the only think which could get you in "trouble" is the traffic (i had about 15 gigs a month with ~ 1 million hits, with gzip compression enabled, if i would have disabled it, the traffic would have been about 150-200 gigabyte)

hope thats enough figures for now

[edit]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stifler
or in the case of blazds bcalc cos he aint playing anymore so cba be bothered to do more work on it :|
did i note that i don't play anymore either ?
but he is right, my main motivation to hopefully get the development started a bit again (if you wanna contribute, np, i will happily integrate everything i find useful into pilkara. and if someone wanna really push it forward, i have a list of nice to have features which i wanted to implement some time ago, but didn't got to it due to lack of time
Unread 27 Aug 2004, 01:11   #15
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Arfy
We still have some nice in-alliance tools under closed source, including:
EADS (Elysium Arbiter and Defense System)
Custom IRCd
Custom IRC Services (designed for PA/PLT)
Scan parser and viewer integrated with a PA/PLT attack bot built into IRC services
Unread 27 Aug 2004, 01:22   #16
The Real Arfy

ahhh, EADS, i loved that thing

Unread 27 Aug 2004, 01:24   #17
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Thanks kaos, that sounds pretty reasonable.

XtoTheZ: I'm still waiting for iip to go mainstream before I bother making a custom ircd
Unread 27 Aug 2004, 01:28   #18
alch
Retired

alch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud of

yeah EADS was nice idd :P (dont ask me how i saw it)
Unread 27 Aug 2004, 01:35   #19
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

eads was brilliant. shame it's not been shared

-mist
Unread 30 Aug 2004, 20:46   #20
flikman
Idiot

flikman can only hope to improve

The bcalc could really use a 'return time' feature (as I call it) for attackers.

This calculates the total value in resources lost on the destroyed ships, and then assuming that you gain roids, and lose none of them, how long you would need to hold onto the roids to profit.

After this time, you will have replaced the lost ships, and be making 'profit'.

The formula is simple..but im too lazy to modify the calc for myself until r12 starts.

Number of ticks to make profit =

[total value of fleet lost] / (number of roids gained) * 250

Its handy...because if the number is small, ur gonna profit quickly from the attack.

But if u lose tons of ships, the gain of tons of roids might not be worth it for the time taken to make a profit.

how long does it take for the roids u gain to replace the ships u lost gaining them is one sentence to explain it. Of course it can be made to incoporate finance centre/priority bonuses too.

Last edited by flikman; 30 Aug 2004 at 20:53.
flikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 09:03   #21
Blazde
Elysium

Blazde is an unknown quantity at this point

It depends on too many factors, like engineering settings and finance centres, and whether you have the research to mine all the roids you gain. And you have to take other things into account, like how much 'roiding potential' do you lose on subsequent nights, how defence you lose.

Imo, a simple figure would require lots of explanation of exactly what it represented (see the size of your own post for example ), it would be of no use to the players that use more complicated metrics to decide whether an attack is worth it. And it would confuse the people who are already overwhelmed by the amount of figures crammed on the page.

If anyone feels differently and wants to code it, be my guest. Incidentally, if round 12 is just stats changes yet again, I probably will make a final update.
Blazde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2004, 13:24   #22
flikman
Idiot

flikman can only hope to improve

I think I will code it myself, as the bcalc source is available and its only a manipulation of a couple of numbers.

After the start of the round, people tend to have the roid transport capability needed to mine what they gain.

Maybe I'll think about what im trying to represent better, but the idea is just to guage whether the proposed fleet loss is worth it. A few friends of mine seem to base their decisions on this calculation I use as in general terms it is a good way to decide. Finance centers only provide a small gain (none if u didnt build any like me :/ ) and have little effect on the time scales.