User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 23 May 2004, 01:51   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Futurama

Been watching me DVDs.
I have come to the conclusion that my all time favourite quote is "That's no spaceship, that's my ass!"

Unread 23 May 2004, 03:03   #2
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Futurama

but family guy is better :P
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 23 May 2004, 05:43   #3
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

yes

but we should not overlook futurama. its still really good.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2004, 05:57   #4
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
Blasphemy!
Unread 23 May 2004, 13:42   #5
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
I used to prefer Family Guy. I now prefer futurama, it's much better written.

ps.

But you forgot one thing. Rock crushes scissors. But... paper covers rock and scissors cut paper. Kif, we have a conundrum.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2004, 13:47   #6
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

i find both family guy and futurama good, but my fav atm has to be red dwarf
Unread 23 May 2004, 13:48   #7
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

futurama is cool, its written by geeks, for geeks! Futurama > Family guy > (new episodes of) The Simpsons.
Unread 23 May 2004, 14:02   #8
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light

It's a shame fox cancelled it
Unread 23 May 2004, 14:03   #9
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

they cancelled both didn't they?
Unread 23 May 2004, 14:07   #10
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire_lestat
they cancelled both didn't they?
They recomission Family Guy due to the high DVD sales.
Unread 23 May 2004, 14:11   #11
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
I used to prefer Family Guy. I now prefer futurama, it's much better written.
I don't know. Family Guy is a lot more edgy than Futurama, and I appreciate that. Futurama does better jokes, but most of the humour centres around absurdity.

The Simpsons, sadly doesn't even compare to either of them these days. Watching The Simpsons now (new episodes I mean) is like watching a slightly more literate children's TV programme.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2004, 14:11   #12
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

cool, amyone know what uk channel it's showing on?
Unread 23 May 2004, 14:18   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I don't know. Family Guy is a lot more edgy than Futurama, and I appreciate that. Futurama does better jokes, but most of the humour centres around absurdity.
I don't really know what to say. Someone saying that Futurama's humour was based around absurdity, as opposed to Family Guy, was not something I'm prepared for.

I wouldn't put Futurama down as absurdist humour, especially if Family Guy isn't.

South Park is absurdist though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire_lestat
cool, amyone know what uk channel it's showing on?
It hasn't been made yet, so I've no idea.

'The internet' is the best channel, anyway.
Unread 23 May 2004, 15:00   #14
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I wouldn't put Futurama down as absurdist humour, especially if Family Guy isn't.
Family Guy is pretty absurd, but most of it's humour is referential. Futurama mainly stems from "lol look at the aliens" and such. I still love it, don't get me wrong.

Plus, as I say, I'm a fan of controversy. Except Southpark. I just find that tedious.
Unread 23 May 2004, 15:11   #15
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Futurama mainly stems from "lol look at the aliens" and such.
Does it?
Unread 23 May 2004, 15:21   #16
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Does it?
Yes. Yes it does.
Unread 23 May 2004, 15:30   #17
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Yes. Yes it does.
Since when?

Whilst there are running jokes like Morbo, but how is Morbo similar in the absurdity stakes to, say, everything in Family Guy.
Unread 23 May 2004, 15:40   #18
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Since when?

Whilst there are running jokes like Morbo, but how is Morbo similar in the absurdity stakes to, say, everything in Family Guy.
I don't think a discussion on how we can hope to measure absurdity in an objective fashion will be rewarding. I'll rephrase; it seems to me that many of the jokes in Futurama tend to rely on the setting (e.g. aliens, future technology and so forth). Since much of the setting is outlandish, weird, etc I find a lot of the humour absurdist. It probably follows it's own internal logic more closely than Family Guy (I don't know, I've not measured or anything)

Most of Family Guy's funny moments (again, to me) rely much more on skits, spoofs, etc.

Futurama has a lot of quality moments, but is let down by the fact it's very character driven (more so than FG probably) but only Fry, Bender & Professor are capable of being funny (again, to me).
Unread 23 May 2004, 15:47   #19
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

"...so anyway, I gave the cookies to Jan and she thought they were just lovely. But I digress; COWER, PUNY EARTHLINGS! One day my race will rule you all!"

Unread 23 May 2004, 15:52   #20
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I don't think a discussion on how we can hope to measure absurdity in an objective fashion will be rewarding. I'll rephrase; it seems to me that many of the jokes in Futurama tend to rely on the setting (e.g. aliens, future technology and so forth). Since much of the setting is outlandish, weird, etc I find a lot of the humour absurdist. It probably follows it's own internal logic more closely than Family Guy (I don't know, I've not measured or anything)
There is a difference from the rather simplistic 'look! Weird alien!' humour that you suggested was the Primary Funny Vector in Futurama.

I'd say that Futurama has sillier plots, but all the offhand jokes are more sensible (I can't think of anything offhand in Futurama that is as ludicrous as the joke about them ignoring the squid)

Quote:
Futurama has a lot of quality moments, but is let down by the fact it's very character driven (more so than FG probably) but only Fry, Bender & Professor are capable of being funny (again, to me).
Woop woop woop woop woop.

All the characters are good, except maybe the kids. Out of them, they all have the capactiy to be very funny, but it's fairly obvious that most of the humour will revolve around the three you mentioned, because they're the easiest characters to write jokes for; noone outside those three would have made the joke about the serial numbers both being expressable as the sum of 2 cubes, for example, or the 'That doesn't look like an L at all! Unless we count lower case'.

Of course, quite a lot of the humour is suprisingly subtle, which I'd expect you to get but it's hilarity incarnate reading, say, the JTS or IMDB message boards, in which people comment on futurama's rather simplistic humour (Do they even think that lines like 'It's the future, dummy!' are jokes?)
Unread 23 May 2004, 15:55   #21
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
"...so anyway, I gave the cookies to Jan and she thought they were just lovely. But I digress; COWER, PUNY EARTHLINGS! One day my race will rule you all!"

Kittens give morbo gas.
Unread 23 May 2004, 16:14   #22
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

personally, i prefer south park to both of them

theres something highly amusing about kids swearing.
Unread 23 May 2004, 16:18   #23
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
personally, i prefer south park to both of them

GB2Series 1
Unread 23 May 2004, 16:21   #24
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Terrance: Shut your ****ing face uncle ****a
You're a cock sucking ass licking uncle ****a
You're an uncle ****a, yes its true
Nobody ****s uncles quite like you

Phillip: Shut your ****ing face uncle ****a
You're the one that ****ed your uncle, uncle ****a
You dont eat or sleep or mow the lawn,
You just **** your uncle all day long

(farting noises)
Terrance: Hmm!
(farting noises)
(laughing)
(farting noises)
Some Guy: What's going on here?
(farting noises)
People: OOOoooooooooooooh
****er ****er uncle ****a uncle ****a ****a ****a ****a
T & P: Shut your ****ing face uncle ****a (Terrance: uncle ****a)

Terrance: You're a boner biting bastard uncle ****a
Phillip: You're an uncle ****a I must say
Terrance: Well you ****ed your uncle yesterday
Everyone: (laughing)
People: Uncle ****a... thats
Everyone: U-N-C-L-E **** you Uncle
****aaaaaa tonight...

Phillip: Suck my balls!
Unread 23 May 2004, 16:27   #25
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
personally, i prefer south park to both of them.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2004, 17:38   #26
xtothez
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of

Quote:
GB2Series 1
Or series 5 episode 2.
Unread 23 May 2004, 17:39   #27
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtothez
Or series 5 episode 2.
That's not the kids, that's everyone.
Unread 23 May 2004, 20:04   #28
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

I am yet to find a single episode of Futurama funny. I found pretty much every episode of Family Guy funny.

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2004, 20:06   #29
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarina_Joy
I am yet to find a single episode of Futurama funny. I found pretty much every episode of Family Guy funny.
It's toe tappingly tragic.
Unread 23 May 2004, 20:28   #30
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You know, that dance wasn't as safe as they said it was
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2004, 20:31   #31
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Curse my natural showmanship!
Unread 23 May 2004, 21:05   #32
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
I admit the first time I saw Soutpark I found it pretty amusing. Twenty minutes later it ceased to be as funny. Several seasons later I think it's safe to say the show can't really rest on that particular gimmick.

Which is annoying really as the people who make the show seem like pretty cool guys, I'm just not a fan.
Unread 23 May 2004, 21:18   #33
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

i think they seem like tossers tbh.

but its so much more than kids swearing, thats just the filler. The plots etc are still extremely inventive and amusing. The recent ladder to heaven one, and the skiing holiday one in particular i thought were fantastic.
Unread 23 May 2004, 21:25   #34
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
i think they seem like tossers tbh.
The one who was in Bowling for Columbine seemed pretty smart. I was hoping to hate him but his opinions were pretty right on.

I know it's a lot more than just kids swearing, but I'm just not a fan of the show.

Family Guy is all-round superb.

Other animated shows which are under-appreciated are Duckman and Clerks.
Unread 23 May 2004, 21:29   #35
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

The 'kids swearing' motif hasn't really been in the show since South Park: The Movie.
Unread 23 May 2004, 21:32   #36
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
The 'kids swearing' motif hasn't really been in the show since South Park: The Movie.
It does seem alot better nowdays (when I've caught it) since the movie. More satirical and less fart jokes. But still not good enough to overcome my dislike of it unfortunately.
Unread 23 May 2004, 21:35   #37
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

the ladder to heaven was great.

they try to build a ladder to heaven to find kenny (who died properly) because he has tickets to all you can eat candy store or something. The parents think they are doing it out of love and they help them. Lots of pisstake of emotional 'events' ensues. Then some japanese kids start doing it too and the military help them. By this point they get above the clouds. The US think they have got to heaven and then become convinced that heaven holds weapons of mass destruction and try to bomb them, using photos of clouds that apparently have military installations on etc, but theyre just clouds . Then one of the kids finds the candy tokens anyway and they lose interest.

doesnt sound funny when i put it like that, add in the general irreverence to pretty much everything in SP and its genius though.
Unread 23 May 2004, 21:37   #38
Dante Hicks
Clerk

I've seen that episodes. It was OK.
Unread 23 May 2004, 21:43   #39
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

genius i say!

(i guess this is one of those 'matter of opinion' things tho )
Unread 23 May 2004, 21:50   #40
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Probably. I'm pretty tired of over political satire, which is why I'm not a huge fan of Michael Moore.
Unread 23 May 2004, 22:15   #41
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

On the subject of Michael Moore, I'm quite looking forward to seeing Fahrenheit 9/11 when it's released here in the UK. I won't try and deny that a part of that is because, yes, I think GWB is an idiot and I wouldn't mind seeing him taking a beating, but a larger part is that I'm genuinely interested in seeing what Moore has to say in the film.
Unread 23 May 2004, 22:17   #42
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Apparantly, Fahrenheit 9/11 is extremely bad entertainment.

And of course it's designed purely for the US elections, therefore it merely mentions Blair in passing and doesn't mention Spain and Italy at all (well, it says that the only major countries supporting the resolution were the US and the UK).

It's all just 'boo hoo killing people is bad'.
Unread 23 May 2004, 22:19   #43
Dante Hicks
Clerk

My opinion of Michael Moore fluctuates between thinking he is a popular Chomsky/funny Pilger or that's he's a slightly better version of a Zar style troll.

The fact he's better than 99% of his critics means I have some sympathy for him.
Unread 23 May 2004, 22:21   #44
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Quote:
Apparantly, Fahrenheit 9/11 is extremely bad entertainment.
I shall reserve judgement til after I've seen it (can't be worse entertainment than Troy anyway).

Wiggles!
Unread 23 May 2004, 22:21   #45
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Probably. I'm pretty tired of over political satire, which is why I'm not a huge fan of Michael Moore.
I do fancy seein Fahrenheit 9/11 tho.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2004, 22:22   #46
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
The fact he's better than 99% of his critics means I have some sympathy for him.
What do you mean by 'better'?
Unread 23 May 2004, 22:24   #47
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
What do you mean by 'better'?
Less shit.
Unread 23 May 2004, 22:25   #48
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Less shit.
I'd prefer 'not shit' personally.
Unread 23 May 2004, 22:27   #49
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
I'd prefer 'not shit' personally.
Me too, but it's not exactly like there's dozens of leftist / dissident film-makers out there producing films of any popularity.

It's like being stranded in an alternate dimension where the only music on offer is Jungle or Oasis. Now, Oasis have their faults but if they were the only rock band in existence I'd probably find some time for them.
Unread 23 May 2004, 22:29   #50
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Me too, but it's not exactly like there's dozens of leftist / dissident film-makers out there producing films of any popularity.

It's like being stranded in an alternate dimension where the only music on offer is Jungle or Oasis. Now, Oasis have their faults but if they were the only rock band in existence I'd probably find some time for them.
There are plenty of leftist film makers, it's just that they're not quite so massmarket as Michael Moore. Which is a pity really, because they're probably less manipulative with the truth and people.