User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Closed Thread
Unread 1 Apr 2004, 15:32   #1
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Covert ops have been nerfed too much

Now that it is possible to be immune to covert ops, they should at least do some realistic damage. Blowing up ships and roids is fine early on, but they are based on the number of agents/stealth used, which is fixed all round, causing cov-op damage to be fixed. Spending 30k res to blowup 1 roid of someone who has 180 has much more effect than spending the same amount on someone who has 1800. Same with spending 25k resources to blowup a couple of fighters, when the target is likely to own several thousand of them. Damage should be based on a percentage of what the target owns (i.e. killing 0.5% of their roids for x agents), rather than a fixed price all round which doesnt take in account target growth. You aren't expected to attack a top 100 planet at PT1000 with the ships you could afford at PT100, so why should cov-ops have the same relative cost?

I thought covert ops were meant to be an alternate strategy to damage the enemy, not an expensive way to add extra entries to someones priv news page while causing them little or no inconvienience. Top 10 planets now can set security on 2nd or 3rd priority and only risk losing 2-3 roids or 10-15 ships per day, while pulling in far far more from attacks that its unnoticable.
Unread 1 Apr 2004, 16:10   #2
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Covert ops have been nerfed too much

i kinda agree to this, eventhough i ain't a cov-op planet and will probably get pissed sooner or later at some cov-op dude... But its indeed rather pointless to do ops on big planets, though there is also a thing of being fair. As the top planets can do anything against the small ones, and having to powerfull ops can ruin a round for someone within a few ticks. (if you for example could destroy 50 of someones roids in 1 go when he has 1000, thats quite costy ).

There should be some way to have a get a damage calc which starts on 100% and gets lowered by a certain figure depending on the difference in value/score of both the planets and the agents sent to carry out a mission
Unread 1 Apr 2004, 17:09   #3
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

i was under the impression that resource theft was the "best" covert op, and tends to scale with the game - at least that's what i'd gather from the amount of whining about it last round?

-mist
Unread 1 Apr 2004, 17:46   #4
[Racer]
Allianceless ex Ely Hc

[Racer] is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
i was under the impression that resource theft was the "best" covert op, and tends to scale with the game - at least that's what i'd gather from the amount of whining about it last round?

-mist

Max cap pr agent is 7.5K res each.
So no scaling there.
Unread 1 Apr 2004, 18:11   #5
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

they seemed to cause plenty of complaining last round.

i remember the "someone was closed for 2 weeks, that's so unfair - they didn't get cov opped in all that time". now you're telling me that cov-ops with the same effecitveness arn't good enough? pull the other one

-mist
Unread 1 Apr 2004, 18:29   #6
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of

They don't have the same effectiveness though. Resource stealing has been double-nerfed by allowing immunity to them as well as a cap of 7500 res per agent. Yes, last round they were too powerful because immunity was impossible. Now not only is it very easy to be immune (in the later game alot of top planets wont need mining as a high priority to allow them to hit smaller targets, not to mention research is no longer needed). If you look at the numbers that is basically allowing no more than 30 agents through per day, giving a max resource capture of 225,000. Thats like, half a ticks income from a 3000 roid planet, even assuming the cov-ops are spaced out enough to not always fail.

The game coders have followed their usual drill. Seen a overly powerful feature in the game that people overused, and killed it down to barely annoying if not totally useless.
Unread 1 Apr 2004, 19:17   #7
Desse
Pr0nstar

Desse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud of

Ressource stealing was modified during speed rounds. Apparently the same modifications are in place for r 10.5

Ascendancy - While you were trying, we were sleeping

(@Karmulian) i deffo got roided looking at my planets
Unread 1 Apr 2004, 20:34   #8
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope they tweak it back a little next round.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Unread 2 Apr 2004, 05:45   #9
Ripur

Ripur is an unknown quantity at this point

i think the 'destroy structure' op is ment to be the thorn in large players' sides. I can scan anyone in the top 10 and they all have 1 of each ship factory. If by chance an op strikes one of those down, you get a large play that is in a sense defenceless inpart for 8 to 12 ticks. Course that is assuming anyone attacks him, but the top players never seem to be in any trouble past tick 500 or so.
So yea, if they can afford 100% immunity, take away op limitaions so they can feel the burn if they don't watch themselves. might make this game intersting again.
Unread 3 Apr 2004, 11:26   #10
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute

cov ops suck \o/

Retired
Unread 4 Apr 2004, 18:38   #11
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

i only use cov ops if someone really pisses me off (so far this round only one person). i believe it gives you a lot of points though doesnt it if you're successful against bigger players?
Unread 6 Apr 2004, 07:47   #12
LordBrem

LordBrem is an unknown quantity at this point

Big people can not attack small people.

Those small people should not be able to actually hurt big people who they are immune to, should they?

When the bash limit is removed, by all means strengthen cov ops. I mean, they take no skill whatsoever to use.
Unread 10 Apr 2004, 20:04   #13
Ripur

Ripur is an unknown quantity at this point

neither does bashing
Unread 16 Apr 2004, 14:17   #14
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

cov op suck. It is lame. thank you for toning it down. Since you can't be gay and Cov Op allday, go spend time with your girlfriend. I am sure she will appreciate it.
Unread 16 Apr 2004, 22:01   #15
Karmulian
Get Stuffed

Karmulian is on a distinguished road

covert ops are being redone as part of the new game
i highly agree that they don't do realistic damage atm..
the maximum ships you can blow up if i remmember is 32.. which just isn't practical

we will however be placing limits on usage of the new stronger cov ops
Closed Thread