User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 28 Nov 2002, 22:44   #1
Vanilla

Vanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura about
Question Buying goods in the USA and bringing them back to the UK

I understand that you have to pay duty on certain good, but my issue is different.

What if you live in the states?

I'm english, but in america for a year. When I come home for xmas I plan on bringing back all the DVD's i've bought so far (around 50 of them) and other misc stuff (USA is heaven for electronics, thanks to rebates .)

Will I have to pay duty on them if I have a US address? I may even bring one of my PC's back.

Can they charge me duty for my stuff if I prove that i'm living in the states?
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 22:51   #2
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of
Just dont declare them? They wont search you main luggage...
MrPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 22:52   #3
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of
I thought you only had to pay duty if you had purchased stuff duty free? surely if you've paid one tax to america you dont need to pay again?

i dont actually have any idea by the way.
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 22:58   #4
Vanilla

Vanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by MrPeach
Just dont declare them? They wont search you main luggage...
It's after you collect your main luggage on the way out you go through customs.

I won't declare any of it
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 22:59   #5
MrPeach

They dont search people with EU passports ever.
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 23:17   #6
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
as long as your not actually lugging it all behind you with 'bought in the US of A' and a big american flag flying from a 'beer' hat im fairly sure youll be ok.

weve brought back a laptop bought in the states and various other electrical stuff. games too.

always go through 'nothing to declare' and you wont be searched.

and btw if you buy certain goods over a certain value you have to declare it and pay customs excise on them regardless if youve paid tax or not in the states.

which incidently annoys the hell out of me...."only $9.99 + Tax"

I CANNOT BE ARSED WORKING OUT TAX EVERYTIME I GOTO BUY SOMETHING AND 9 TIMES OUT OF 10 I FORGET TO ADD IT MEANING I LOOK LIKE AN IMBECILE SEARCHING FOR A FEW LOOSE DIMES AND QUARTERS IN THE BOTTOM OF A JACKET POCKET.

F
S
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 23:21   #7
Vanilla

Quote:
Originally posted by JammyJim
as long as your not actually lugging it all behind you with 'bought in the US of A' and a big american flag flying from a 'beer' hat im fairly sure youll be ok.

weve brought back a laptop bought in the states and various other electrical stuff. games too.

always go through 'nothing to declare' and you wont be searched.

and btw if you buy certain goods over a certain value you have to declare it and pay customs excise on them regardless if youve paid tax or not in the states.

which incidently annoys the hell out of me...."only $9.99 + Tax"
heh i don't pay tax on anything. new Hampshire has no sales tax at al.

I'm just hping to sneak through the nothing to declare bit with a pc and tons of dvd's and other stuff!

Did you ever see anyone gettting searched on your many trips?
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 23:26   #8
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
the only people ive ever ever seen get searched looked like theyd walked over to the desk. and they didnt look british either judging by clothing/ethnicity.

so nope...

i fly into gatwick usually altho ive never seen it at heathrow or manchester either.
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 23:28   #9
JammyJim
Godfather

you might want to split the dvds up btw. place in different cases etc..
Unread 29 Nov 2002, 01:56   #10
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Isnt there a certain limit you can bring back? And then they charge for after?

Dunno tbh, can just remember going through the actual declare stations a few times from America and them saying "Thanks, No problem..." and not doing anything even then.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2002, 02:03   #11
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
No need to import when there's nice people to do it for you.

http://www.play.com

I just bought The Sum Of All Fears (region 1) for £15.99 including delivery and it's not even out here yet fs.

[edit]
Its also the cheapest place I've seen for GBA games, which quite frankly (although they are incredibly cool) are overpriced.

Last edited by meglamaniac; 29 Nov 2002 at 02:09.
meglamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2002, 04:18   #12
Vanilla

Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
No need to import when there's nice people to do it for you.

http://www.play.com

I just bought The Sum Of All Fears (region 1) for £15.99 including delivery and it's not even out here yet fs.

[edit]
Its also the cheapest place I've seen for GBA games, which quite frankly (although they are incredibly cool) are overpriced.
nonon megla, you see i'm already out here, so i want to bring stuff back in to the UK.

Besides, I can get the sum of all fears for $9.99

it's $15 at a place which i have a $5 off coupon code for

ps- My PM box is empty now, in case you want to try and send the PM you tried earlier.
Unread 29 Nov 2002, 05:48   #13
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by MrPeach
They dont search people with EU passports ever.
That conforting to know when sitting on a plane.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2002, 06:21   #14
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
Heh.

I'd personally be more worried about how Europe has a different regional DVD encode than the US does.

Just think, when you go back, and all your dvd's mysteriously dissapear in the night, you'll be conforted to know they won't work in anyone's DVD player but your own (and possibly someone else's)

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2002, 07:50   #15
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
Re: Buying goods in the USA and bringing them back to the UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Vanilla
I understand that you have to pay duty on certain good, but my issue is different.

What if you live in the states?

I'm english, but in america for a year. When I come home for xmas I plan on bringing back all the DVD's i've bought so far (around 50 of them) and other misc stuff (USA is heaven for electronics, thanks to rebates .)

Will I have to pay duty on them if I have a US address? I may even bring one of my PC's back.

Can they charge me duty for my stuff if I prove that i'm living in the states?
PASSPORT

CITIZENSHIP
Unread 30 Nov 2002, 17:57   #16
Taratang
Superluminal Mod(retired)

Taratang is just really niceTaratang is just really niceTaratang is just really niceTaratang is just really nice
nilla looks like a terrist!
Taratang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2002, 16:35   #17
Smugs
Major

Smugs has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally posted by Mirai
Heh.

I'd personally be more worried about how Europe has a different regional DVD encode than the US does.

Just think, when you go back, and all your dvd's mysteriously dissapear in the night, you'll be conforted to know they won't work in anyone's DVD player but your own (and possibly someone else's)

haha but i have DVD Region X for my Xbox which allows me to play any region DVD.

R3 - [None] - 184:10:12
R4 - [FeaR] - 234:25:3 - [MoW]
R5 - [GLX] - XX:XX:8
R6 - [GLX] - 5:13:6 - [MoC]
R7 - [GLX] - 35:XX:13 - [MoC]
R8 - [Flash] - 12:7:1
R9 - [Did Not Play]
R9.5 - [None] -1:10:19 - [MoW]/[MoD]

==Retired Planetarion Veteran==
Smugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2002, 17:01   #18
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
TRY NOT TO LOOK GUILTY.
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2002, 17:44   #19
Barrow|Pony
snadwich fetcher

Barrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Vanilla
heh i don't pay tax on anything. new Hampshire has no sales tax at al.

I'm just hping to sneak through the nothing to declare bit with a pc and tons of dvd's and other stuff!

Did you ever see anyone gettting searched on your many trips?

You live in New Hampshire?

Crazy.

I'm from maine >:)
Unread 1 Dec 2002, 17:47   #20
Vanilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Barrow|Pony
You live in New Hampshire?

Crazy.

I'm from maine >
lol maine sux lol

heh nah You're only around 3 hours drive from me probably*.

You don't happen to be female, blonde, blue eyes, 32DD do you?
Unread 1 Dec 2002, 18:12   #21
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Nilla, the FBI are watching guys like you.