User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 25 Jul 2006, 22:21   #1
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Buying an external hard-drive

I'm running out of space on my laptop. So I'm going to buy an external hard drive. I don't have Firewire, to my eternal sadness, so unless there's a cheap PCMCIA card around then I'll be using USB2

Rough requirements:

Price < £150
150 - 350 GB space
Decent speed (i.e. reading and writing to it)
Quiet

I'm currently edging towards the Maxtor One Touch III 300GB Combo USB2

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx...000,4294960320

Basically: is there anything better around than this that suits my requirements? Are Dabs the right people to get it from, with price and service as relevant factors?
Unread 25 Jul 2006, 23:21   #2
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Buying an external hard-drive

This + this.

Enclosure: 28.58
Drive: 56.26
Delivery: 10.00

Total: 96.59

Why those?

A seperate enclosure gives you the freedom to upgrade whenever you want, and select whatever drive you want right now.

The Western Digital WDxx00KS* Caviar SE16 range of harddrives are pretty much the best desktop drives money can buy at the moment. They are quick, quiet, and have a 3 year warrenty. Seagate offer 5 on some of their drives but while they are in no way bad drives, their current models are both noisier and slower than Wester Digital's, so there's no real point.

Finally, you're getting a much nicer and better built external unit and a better drive for less money. The only downside is you're getting 50GB less storage space, but if you really need it you can get the WD3200KS which is 320GB for about £20 more than the 250GB model, which brings it to a similar price to the Maxtor unit you pointed out while still looking and performing better.

So long as you're happy to screw a few clips on to a harddrive, you get a much better deal buying seperately.

* xx denotes drive capacity.

Last edited by meglamaniac; 25 Jul 2006 at 23:28.
meglamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jul 2006, 06:10   #3
-TPM-

-TPM- is on a distinguished road

Buying just the enclosure is also a great option if you've got a couple of old HD's kicking around doing nothing. You'll probably find IDE enclosurse even cheaper than the one Meg. listed. I know I got mine for ~12 pounds each.

Another option that might be good (depending on your setup) is a NAS drive. It'll cost you a bit more, but if you've got a couple of computers that you want to access the date it'll work great.
Unread 6 Sep 2006, 12:01   #4
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

I've gone for the combo Megla suggested.

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 23:54   #5
robban1

robban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these parts

i have had segates hd around for ages cos they hardly ever cracked but latly samsung hd kinda rocks, they are silent and not getting hot,kinda cheap too

my external 200 gb samsung costed around 120 euro and works like a charm and got a cool blue lamp that flash the it works hehe
robban1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Sep 2006, 20:22   #6
newt
Banned

newt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud of

Just thought I'd say thanks for the info in this thread! Sorted me out on my next computer-related purchases. Seems meglamaniac is better than JC at computer advice
newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Sep 2006, 20:45   #7
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I never claimed to be any good
Unread 30 Sep 2006, 23:30   #8
gazza_dj
Resident Nutter.

gazza_dj can only hope to improve

http : // www . ebuyer . com/UK/product/116314/rb/22114251664

(remove spaces as i cant post links!) i got one of these today, absolute bargain! only thing i can fault is ebuyer use a shitty courier, city link. so, if you do get something from there, ask them to use parcel force!
Unread 1 Oct 2006, 15:58   #9
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

Ask them to use parcel force?

Do you live in a different world to everyone else ?
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Oct 2006, 11:18   #10
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

City link do suck. I've baught from ebuyer before and City Link and the ones that ended up pissing it up and getting me my order late.

I prefer Parcel Force or UPS for delivery.

Unread 2 Oct 2006, 12:18   #11
gazza_dj
Resident Nutter.

gazza_dj can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyne
Ask them to use parcel force?

Do you live in a different world to everyone else ?
*looks around* nope pretty sure i live in the same world to everyone else. maybe it is you who is living in a different world shyne?

if you have ever had something 'delivered' by city link, then you would try and use a different courier as well. city link usually deliver late, and they also expect you to stay in all day, as the will not give you a rough time at which they will deliver. they will attempt to deliver twice, and if they cant deliver it, they expect you to go to thier depot to pick it up. i wouldnt mind so much if the depot was quite local, but its a 50+ mile round trip! thats a long way for a student who has to use public transport.
Unread 2 Oct 2006, 12:44   #12
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

citylink have been flawless for me, as opposed to parcelforce which have screwed up frequently.
I guess it just comes down to the local delivery office's quality. Ours seems to be quite good for citylink and abysmal for royal mail
UPS i refuse to touch with a bargepole after the last time i ordered stuff from the states (thinkgeek.com). They turned up at the door and demanded the import taxes, as i expected - but then added a brokerage fee on top of it for themselves which effectively doubled the cost.
Unread 2 Oct 2006, 14:08   #13
Marv
Jazz Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
citylink have been flawless for me, as opposed to parcelforce which have screwed up frequently.
I guess it just comes down to the local delivery office's quality. Ours seems to be quite good for citylink and abysmal for royal mail
UPS i refuse to touch with a bargepole after the last time i ordered stuff from the states (thinkgeek.com). They turned up at the door and demanded the import taxes, as i expected - but then added a brokerage fee on top of it for themselves which effectively doubled the cost.
UPS just slid somewhat down my estimation pole :s

Unread 2 Oct 2006, 19:26   #14
Pilgrim
Bline

Pilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these parts

dabs.com has some good ones
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote