User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 22 Dec 2005, 19:05   #1
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

mazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriend
PA on mobile devices

A minor question.

More mobile devices are coming with fully compliant HTML browsers and this brings up a certain problem wiith possible exception issues.

Each mobile telphone company has a very limited number of APN's which traffic is routed through to the internet via. Each of these have a single public IP address.

How is this likely to affect people playing form thie mobile phones/PDA's etc?

For example, my provider have 4 APN's which are fully load balanced which means if more than 1 person is using thier mobile to connect to PA then the same IP will be doing the connecting fairly regularly for each device. The question I think that is most pertenant is, will people have to apply for exceptions if they are friends on the same network, in the same alliance, in the same galaxy and so on? If not, how does one police something like this?

<@JBG> by the way is mazzelaar a community account that everyone in 1up logs into when they're feeling angry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGood
mazzelaar has always reminded me of a hungry hungry hippo. Except instead of eating marbles he just bites the heads off new AD posters
mazzelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Dec 2005, 03:23   #2
Timeline
Dreamer in Pit of Hell

Timeline is just really niceTimeline is just really niceTimeline is just really niceTimeline is just really nice
Re: PA on mobile devices

the real question should be can we get pa to work on mobile phones...
i know of at least one 'version' of old pa that allows it...
and i think many players would be intersted in it

random n00b - r3 & 4
MoE - round 12
Rock - round 13, 14, 15, 16
Pragmatik - round 16
ToF - round 16
Subh - round 17
Pa Team - rounds 16, 17, 18, 19
awol ever since
Timeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Dec 2005, 09:10   #3
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

mazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic
the real question should be can we get pa to work on mobile phones...
i know of at least one 'version' of old pa that allows it...
and i think many players would be intersted in it
Thats what I'm saying. It already does on an increasing number of mobile phones. A lot of the later nokia's, SPV's and Samsungs now come with fully compliant HTML browsers. I have been playing PA on my mobile phone for two rounds now.

<@JBG> by the way is mazzelaar a community account that everyone in 1up logs into when they're feeling angry?

Quote:
mazzelaar has always reminded me of a hungry hungry hippo. Except instead of eating marbles he just bites the heads off new AD posters
Unread 23 Dec 2005, 09:38   #4
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

i don't suppose the phones have any form of identifier that can be asked for, like a mac address type thing?
Unread 23 Dec 2005, 09:59   #5
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

even if it did it would be lost in the NAT routing processes. kinda like how aol dialup users all seem to come from the same IP

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Dec 2005, 10:08   #6
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorsdown
even if it did it would be lost in the NAT routing processes. kinda like how aol dialup users all seem to come from the same IP
true i guess. dunno if they work by nat, or some form of webcaching or what. evil things, mobile phones
Unread 23 Dec 2005, 10:28   #7
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

its not a new problem - its the same as the problem of aol, norwegian military etc.

Basically Ip based evidence is becojming less and less useful - while in some cases it can still be used at the rate things are going we will have so many exemptions from IP based systems that the mthods will be ineffective.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Dec 2005, 17:41   #8
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts

IP is only an initial indicator that something may be fishy, a mere starting point for the MH team, my guess is that they then look at activity, ie repeated launches from the same "set" of planets on the same target, or perhaps roid/ship farming.

Then arrive at a conclusion as to whether the 2 (or more) planets are in fact owned by a single player.

For most of this round my Son has played from my home, now he has his own Broadband connexion he plays from his, not once has he or I been sent a mail msg or anything else to suggest we are being investigated.

I wouldnt worry about using a mobile device, as clearly if your activity is genuine then there will not be an issue.
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Dec 2005, 23:32   #9
Doorsdown

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
true i guess. dunno if they work by nat, or some form of webcaching or what. evil things, mobile phones
the nat allows thousands of users to work off of 1 public ip address when on the inside of there network they have a private one. So each person having there one IP only happens at SOME universitys like mine where we do not nat any where and cable/dsl providers truely none of those even need it to operate. Take the dial up. It takes a small pool of address and rotates them to users as needed

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Unread 23 Dec 2005, 23:34   #10
Doorsdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
its not a new problem - its the same as the problem of aol, norwegian military etc.

Basically Ip based evidence is becojming less and less useful - while in some cases it can still be used at the rate things are going we will have so many exemptions from IP based systems that the mthods will be ineffective.
IP bases evidence is not enough there is the DHCP issue where more than 1 person can have an IP or the nat'ing issue where people have share a address at the same time

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Unread 23 Dec 2005, 23:41   #11
mist
Jolt's best friend

Quote:
the nat allows thousands of users to work off of 1 public ip address when on the inside of there network they have a private one.
i know what a nat is, i was asking if it was a nat, or whether they used a proxying system, in which case whether there was an identifier of the origonal request maker in there, like you can get from some 'normal' web proxies.
Unread 24 Dec 2005, 00:54   #12
Doorsdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
i know what a nat is, i was asking if it was a nat, or whether they used a proxying system, in which case whether there was an identifier of the origonal request maker in there, like you can get from some 'normal' web proxies.
no as it is not a proxy as you are thinking of it only unque identifer stop on the interal side of the nat so the public only sees the wan port of the nat device

so no

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Unread 24 Dec 2005, 21:14   #13
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

Quote:
no as it is not a proxy as you are thinking of it only unque identifer stop on the interal side of the nat so the public only sees the wan port of the nat device

so no
The originators MAC address is contained in the packet headers though isn't it?

Quote:
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 07:22   #14
coffee-
Beoyotch

coffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nice

The original mac address should not be sent in the packet sent to any host outside of the NAT, the only things hosts outside of the NAT should know are the NATs IP/mac address.
Check under "Privacy, Security, and Debugging Considerations" in RFC 1631 - The IP Network Address Translator (NAT)
coffee- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2005, 08:08   #15
Doorsdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzelaar
The originators MAC address is contained in the packet headers though isn't it?
no

the mac of the NAT device is sent when it comes back to the device it sends it off to the right machine. so you have no trace or way of telling machines apart behind a NAT other than maybe the broswers request ie if ones linux/mac/windows but thats it

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Unread 27 Dec 2005, 01:48   #16
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

You should never reveal your MAC address !
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote