User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 27 May 2005, 19:58   #1
flikman
Idiot

flikman can only hope to improve
[Discuss] XP made proportional

As the XP debate continues, heres a suggestion.

Why not make the XP gained proportional to amount of fleet returning.

if 60% of ur fleet is killed, u only get 40% of the xp you would have gained.
flikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2005, 20:08   #2
barney
Ex-Visionary

barney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the rough
Re: XP made proportional

Quote:
Originally Posted by flikman
As the XP debate continues, heres a suggestion.

Why not make the XP gained proportional to amount of fleet returning.

if 60% of ur fleet is killed, u only get 40% of the xp you would have gained.
im sure ive said that before, might have been in a pm but still imo is a good idea, however maybe not the AMOUNT of fleet returning but the proportortion of fleet returning. i.e you get more XP for 70% of a fleet coming back than you do for 20% coming back regardlees of the value of the actual fleet. think that is what you were suggesting

i get the feeling there is a gaping hole in this idea, but i cant quite put my finger on it, but im sure someone will
r11 NoS (16:9:10)
r12 VsN (22:2:1)
r13 VsN BC (10:10:10) - R.I.P.
r14 xVx Head BC (2:8:3)
barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2005, 20:18   #3
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Something else: These days when the round ends a planet with 20 mill score is damn huge. That's retarded imo, was much more fun when the biggest planets were several hundred millions in score Why not change it so you get more score per ship, roid, etc? I know the use of it is close to 0, but it simply is much 'cooler' to put it that way
Unread 27 May 2005, 20:41   #4
TheRat
Retired

TheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud of

You are clearly not a coder/database designer :P

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired
TheRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2005, 20:57   #5
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

I agree entirely with Nadar, seeing yourself slave away for days to gain a couple of hundred thousand score is..... demoralising.

As for the proportional XP issue, if you'd have asked me at the end of beta, I'd have jumped up and said yes, but after the full round, I am not so sure to be perfectly honest. When you are an underdog, it does give you a chance of landing an attack once in a while. I personally haven't had a successful attack for about 2 weeks now, do your idea and it would be a lot longer than that.
Unread 27 May 2005, 20:59   #6
TheRat
Retired

TheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashar
I agree entirely with Nadar, seeing yourself slave away for days to gain a couple of hundred thousand score is..... demoralising.
Only because you have experienced something else. To new players who didnt see Singu get donated to billions, it doesnt matter if a great score is 20 mill or 1 bill.

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired
TheRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2005, 21:02   #7
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

When I used to do support stuff for PA (many rounds ago, before current support system was devised), the "more ships", "bigger scores" and "more roids" issue was frequently brought up by new people. There was something satisfying about knowing that you'd just smacked someone down by 1 million score, now similar people can smack people down by 20-50k score. It doesn't have the same feel to it.
Unread 27 May 2005, 21:32   #8
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRat
You are clearly not a coder/database designer :P
I suggested this to Kal some rounds ago. He said it was just to raise the multiplier or whatever, but it was fully possible You're right though, I'm not a coder nor a databse designer, don't even have the slighest cluse about it.

Ofc, as you said, it doesn't mean shit to new players, but for those who's been around long enough to see the massive scores planets used to get it's a bit sad when the top planet is around 20 mill at end of round

At least this would bring back a little bit of the 'feeling' of what PA used to be
Unread 27 May 2005, 22:06   #9
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

i smacked someone down 1mill yesterday do i get a cookie?
Unread 27 May 2005, 23:10   #10
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

STOP.TRYING.TO.FIX.WHAT.IS.NOT.BROKEN.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2005, 23:39   #11
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ryzekiel_
STOP.TRYING.TO.FIX.WHAT.IS.NOT.BROKEN.
what jernub said^^
it balances out in the end does it not?
Unread 28 May 2005, 00:44   #12
flikman
Idiot

The idiots saying multiply score by 10 cos it looks cool have really missed the point of this thread, and maybe life itself.
Unread 28 May 2005, 01:08   #13
Nadar
I see you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flikman
The idiots saying multiply score by 10 cos it looks cool have really missed the point of this thread, and maybe life itself.
It's a fact that it looks better. My big penis looks better than your small penis.
Unread 28 May 2005, 01:16   #14
flikman
Idiot

So your score of

10000 compared to mine of 1000

looks better if its 100000 to 10000 ?

Maybe for a week until we realise that the scale is the same and get used to it.

Its like in havoc - ppl still see someone is twice as big even if the gap between them is 100times higher
Unread 28 May 2005, 01:19   #15
Nadar
I see you!

It looks better. I never said there were any use of it, but it simply looks better when the planets gets more score (as in the old days). I know the scale will be exactly the same and all that. But if you played r1 to r9.5 I'm sure you would understand.
Unread 28 May 2005, 02:33   #16
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

wonder if the intentions of this thread are because ziks don't like peons catching up with them?

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2005, 05:15   #17
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

Losing ships in an attack is bad enough already, no need to add more misery.
Between people suiciding their fleets for high XP and zyks bashing small planets for free ships i wonder what's the worst.
Unread 28 May 2005, 08:30   #18
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Less XP when you lose ships is not good idea.
Unread 29 May 2005, 15:42   #19
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
Less XP when you lose ships is not good idea.
It would discourage people from suiciding on Ziks so early in the round - thus making the Ziks more vulnerable for longer as there is less incentive to people to suicide on their stealers.

That was a stange thing about this round - ziks capped enough stuff so early that people werent attacking them as much as they should have, thus the zik 'problem' now.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2005, 15:59   #20
barney
Ex-Visionary

barney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
It would discourage people from suiciding on Ziks so early in the round - thus making the Ziks more vulnerable for longer as there is less incentive to people to suicide on their stealers.

That was a stange thing about this round - ziks capped enough stuff so early that people werent attacking them as much as they should have, thus the zik 'problem' now.
and this is a bad thing???? atm ziks seam to be a little too invulnerable for my liking, maybe more disadvantaged to suiciding on them is warrented
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 12:59   #21
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney
and this is a bad thing???? atm ziks seam to be a little too invulnerable for my liking, maybe more disadvantaged to suiciding on them is warrented
But suiciding on ziks is a good thing for them as they get access to different types of pods. Squishy scared me at the beginning of the round when he got his defenders to RECALL solely so his attackers WOULD land and he would cap their ships.

thus, making XP gain proportional means that less people would suicide on ziks --> ziks take longer to become stronger --> ziks are weaker --> this is a good thing, at least for all the non-ziks .

Having said that, this strange arcane outcome is the only positive i can see from the suggestion.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 17:48   #22
barney
Ex-Visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
But suiciding on ziks is a good thing for them as they get access to different types of pods. Squishy scared me at the beginning of the round when he got his defenders to RECALL solely so his attackers WOULD land and he would cap their ships.

thus, making XP gain proportional means that less people would suicide on ziks --> ziks take longer to become stronger --> ziks are weaker --> this is a good thing, at least for all the non-ziks .

Having said that, this strange arcane outcome is the only positive i can see from the suggestion.
ahh ha no what i was trying to get at in an ass upwards way that encouraging this suicide on ziks ===> stronger ziks ===> nobody can attack them, they are already too strong this round imo without further encouragement to donate shippies to them
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 18:11   #23
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

The XP system is dubious enough without adding anything of this nature to it.

Losing 60% of your fleet is punishment enough; losing out on potential XP because of that as well, is over the top.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2005, 13:40   #24
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

it does however rmake some sense that if u kill all your ships u shoudn't get as much XP - though my idea in the xp thread on development discussions would cover that.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote