User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 26 Dec 2002, 17:35   #1
SnaarffiE

SnaarffiE is an unknown quantity at this point
mobo help

i have just got a kt4 ultra mobo. i had a stick of 512 ddr 266 ram. this mobo has a fsb of 333 and the 2 are not compatable. however in the manual it says that the mobo supports 266 ddr ram. how do i lower the fsb o the mobo- n e ideas i cant find it in the manual or the site.
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 18:01   #2
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
if memory serves me correctly the two are unrelated. await a responce from someone who knows
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 18:04   #3
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
they should be compatible?

on my asus the bios auto detects what type of ram is installed and then adjusts the fsb multiplyer accordingly. basically my processor is running at 266 but the memory is at 333.

it SHOULD be able to change the speed but id wait for megla or someone else who knows their stuff to post to double check.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 18:15   #4
SnaarffiE

well it aint doing it its really annoying me cos its newish ram as well and its working ram - just tried it in me old mobo and it runs fine. i cant get to the bios or n e thing cos it jusyt sits and bleeps at me and the errer indicator lights (one o the accesories) says its the ram.
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 18:16   #5
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
A quick google tells me that mobo has a manual BIOS setting for RAM speed. You do have it set to 266 don't you?

Best performance should come from a setup roughly like this
Quote:
SDRAM Frequency 266
SDRAM Cas Latency 2
Bank Interleave 4 Way
Row Precharge Time 2T
RAS Pulse Width 5T
RAS to CAS delay 2T
SDram Burst Length 4 QW
SDRAM 1T Command Enabled
Fast Command Ultra
DDR DQSInput Delay Auto
Fast R-2-R Turnaround Enabled
Disclaimer: I actually know nothing about this mobo and the information in this post is purely the result of a little googling.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 18:17   #6
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by SnaarffiE
well it aint doing it its really annoying me cos its newish ram as well and its working ram - just tried it in me old mobo and it runs fine. i cant get to the bios or n e thing cos it jusyt sits and bleeps at me and the errer indicator lights (one o the accesories) says its the ram.
Push it in harder then and disregard my last post, I'll lay large amounts of money you haven't seated it properly

Remember, if you have to push the clips in place by hand it's not seated correctly. They should snap in themselves when it's pushed in far enough.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 18:28   #7
SnaarffiE

yup i have em in properly and i have tried 2 different slots
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 18:32   #8
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Well that's my ideas exhausted (apart from the possibility of a knackered mobo but I wouldn't presume that yet) so I'll just wait for someone who knows more to come along and help
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 20:22   #9
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Found this on the MSI site for your motherboard:
* When FSB setting 166MHz the memroy only can
running at DDR333 mode.

Nice spelling MSI have.
More importantly, this means you need PC2700 (DDR 333Mhz) RAM to operate with processors running with the FSB at 166Mhz - which may be the problem you're hitting?

I'm not sure about this - I'm not feeling very well and have a bastard of a headache, so I'm not up to much traipsing around google.
Knowing what processor you have would help. AMD processors start using 166Mhz FSBs (ie. 333Mhz when doubled up) at the XP2700 afaik.

Last edited by meglamaniac; 26 Dec 2002 at 20:27.
meglamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 23:32   #10
SnaarffiE

i have a 850 duron
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 23:32   #11
SnaarffiE

i have a 850 duron
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 02:05   #12
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
that would be running a 200Mhz FSB, unless you have options in running the ram speed asyncronously from the FSB you will be stuck @ 200Mhz ram/PC1600 speeds
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 13:55   #13
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Hmmm.
I'm not sure what the hell is going on then. Yes you can run ram asyncronously (eg. I'm running my ram at 333Mhz when my FSB is 266Mhz) but the board should be detecting it and acting accordingly.

Very odd.
Just in case some setting got screwed up in the CMOS reset it (however you do that for that board - normally involves moving a jumper) and try again.
Other than that, without seeing the manual page about what ram the board supports under what conditions, I can't help you much more.

Unread 27 Dec 2002, 17:52   #14
SnaarffiE

it was a faulty board i got it sorted now thanx for the help