User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 14 Feb 2005, 20:30   #1
JBOY
Retired

JBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to all
Hardware Knowledgeable people help!

Howdy,
It's been a year or two since I was majorly into keeping an eye on tech specs and the like an I've kinda fallen behind.
I have received a wonderful task.

I do a little work on the side as a marketing trainee, the firm I work for requires a new computer system, currently using several old 233's and even an acorn (hiss).

The accounting department comprises of 22 individuals with varying degrees within the heirarchy 3 main levels and a junior lot.

So, before I start looking around at various bits and peices.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look at.
Requirements:
22 terminals, networked, sharing a 5mb line (so possibly a server aswell)
Hardware capable of handling complex calculations and upwards of 10k client files and accounts.
Minimal graphics requirements, no games for this lot.
Future proofing to a reasonable extent, hardware may be upgraded in the future.

Suggestions on RAM/networking cards/ processors and mobo's would be super smashing great.

Software: Easiest networking software from point of view of the plebs using it.

Suggestions on OS's (Linux might not be well received from the windows 98 lot.

Any body can help at all in giving me some pointers or stuff to look at would be ace.
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 20:36   #2
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Hardware Knowledgeable people help!

if you want something that'll work, look into a Dell bulk order, as those tend to be very solid.

a lot easier than building 22 pc's, and it comes with network card, xp , etc.

get a 24 port switch, that sorts the networking.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 20:52   #3
JBOY
Retired

JBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to all

Wheres the fun in that?

having looked at the dell order stuff, I'm actually pretty certain of going with that for the majority of the machines, however, and this is just for personal fun, I've also comprised the following....

Case Coolermaster Wave Master - Silver (No PSU) (CA-037-CM) 84.95

PSU Enermax Noisetaker 485W EG495AX-VE(G) SFMA ATX2.0 PSU 55.95

CPU AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Winchester 90nm (Socket 939) - Retail (CP-101-AM) 179.95

MoBo Abit AV8 3RD Eye (Socket 939) Motherboard (MB-053-AB) 68.5

RAM Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200XL Platinum TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2 (MY-049-CS) 149.95

GPU Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 Pro 256MB DDR3 VIVO TV-Out/DVI (PCI-Express) - OEM (GX-085-SP) 184.95

Sound Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS 7.1 THX Sound Card - OEM (SC-023-CL) 44.90

HDD 1 Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Plus 200GB ST3200822AS SATA 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-016-SE) 71.50

HDD 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Plus 200GB ST3200822AS SATA 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-016-SE) 71.50

Optical 1 Plextor PX-716A Dual Layer 16x4x DVD±RW ReWriter - Retail (CD-024-PL) 72.80

Floppy OcUK Value Floppy Drive - Silver (CD-001-AP) 6.50

Monitor LG L1980U 19" LCD Monitor (MO-025-LG) 325.00

Peripherals Logitech diNovo Media Desktop - Retail (KB-018-LG) 133.00

SATA cable Akasa Serial ATA 45cm Silver Data Cable (CB-053-GE) * 2 7.00

PCIe power cable Akasa PCI Express 6 Pin to 4 Pin Power cable adaptor for PCI-E Graphics Cards (CB-018-AK) 2.95

Fan 1 Akasa AK-182-L2B 80mm Ultra Quiet Fan - 3 pin (FG-023-AK) 4.95

Fan 2 Akasa AK-182-L2B 80mm Ultra Quiet Fan - 3 pin (FG-023-AK) 4.95

Fan 3 Akasa AK-182-L2B 80mm Ultra Quiet Fan - 3 pin (FG-023-AK) 6.95

OS Microsoft Windows XP Professional - OEM (OS-002-MS) 78.60

Not too sure about the graphics card, not really essential for accounting stuff and the occasional powerpoint presentation, same with the sound card.....

*edit, also with floppy's growing steadily more redundant, possible inclusion of some usb key/ smart card stuff.....
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 23:33   #4
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

just have an open USB port on the front of the machine for USB sticks and such.

As for the video card, kinda overkill to use PCI-E for machines that are prolly gonna get thrown out in 3~4 years after seeing no serious gaming whatsoever, just get a normal PCI mobo for a nice price and slap on what you need in PCI equipment and the cheapest gfx card you can find.

In 4 or 5 years, trash em all and get a new set...

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 23:54   #5
JBOY
Retired

the above, as the main workstation, with 21 desktops of minimum spec from Dell, with wifi netowrking, comes to just under £8k.

kinda hard to sell an 8k expenditure with the line, an we'll just scrap it all in about 4 years....
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 00:09   #6
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOY
the above, as the main workstation, with 21 desktops of minimum spec from Dell, with wifi netowrking, comes to just under £8k.

kinda hard to sell an 8k expenditure with the line, an we'll just scrap it all in about 4 years....
ditch wifi unless you really can't

its unnecessary and over-expensive.

a cheaper option might be a bulk order from mesh or somewhere similar.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 02:42   #7
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Buy HP machines, cheap and RELIABLE.

For your own machine, the spec looks ok although I would go for dual opterons.

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote