User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 27 Jul 2018, 23:21   #1
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Why having the global landing rate influence XP is a bad idea

Signups open. Stats are final.

I am Genevieve McGenius. I look at the stats for 2.18 seconds and instantly realize that while they look suited for value play, they're actually perfectly tuned for XP play. I keep my discovery a secret, planning to build MCs and XP whore from the start of the round.

I am Steven the Stubborn. I don't think. I don't plan. I see FCs, I build FCs. I see refs, I build refs. Value is the only way to play. XP is for chumps.

Fast forward. It's now tick 500. Genevieve has been building MCs and landing 3 fleets a night like a boss. Her plan is succeeding brilliantly. So brilliantly in fact that even Steven can't help but notice it. Him and the rest of the universe. Defense stops occurring. Landing rates soar. XP gains plummet. Some random well-connected hybrid value/XP planet ends up winning. They didn't notice XP was good any earlier than anyone else, just went with the flow.

What has Genevieve learned? What has the game taught her? This: planning is pointless. Whether your strategy succeeds or not depends more on what everyone else happens to be doing than on your own foresight and planning.

I don't think that's what we want. You don't change the size of the goal halfway through a football game, you don't change the damage Dragoons deal in Star Craft in the middle of a match, and you don't change the rules for how much XP you get for a given landing halfway through the round either.

I appreciate that XP round after XP round isn't the best for the long term health of the game, but the problem is not that big, and even if it were, this is not the way to fix it. When the admins change a formula or rule midround, the player base is up in arms. And rightfully so. So why is this OK?
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote