User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 10 Sep 2005, 21:18   #1
Sebos

Sebos is a jewel in the roughSebos is a jewel in the roughSebos is a jewel in the rough
Come back

I read the forums from time to time and come accross all sorts of posts claiming that the old days of pa were better and such like but i wonder could the people who were arround in the 'old days' of pa still compete?

Ok so not everyone left and there are still many people playing from when it started but those that left i ask you could you come back and compete as you once did? Sure things have changed but if you were truly great surly you could come back and still be as good.

Dryph

ps. i have not played since round one, infact i am somewhat of a n00b still i think it would be interesting if the old guard came back for just one more round.
Sebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 21:44   #2
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Come back

Yes, I'd say that if you were good back in the 'old days'™, you should still be good now. If you were great, you should still be great. Planetarion remains a game of skill, no matter what.

The problem comes when you apply descriptions such as 'good' and 'great' to individual players. Great players achieve high ranks round upon round; good players may only do it once.
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 21:46   #3
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

some old players do return (and often with great success), but the game has developed over the years since it started. Activity is still a key part, but alliances are now much more important to many people than galaxies. All Research/Constructions are now Researches (and free) - constructions have changed completely in nature. Asteroids don't have to be scanned for; just initated. Alliances are limited to 100 players each, and there's no "tags" any more. There's no more PDS, but there are "Covert Ops" and "Engineering" instead. All sorts of thing in the game have changed - I'm sure you'll find combat more simple, for example.
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 22:01   #4
Sebos

Sebos is a jewel in the roughSebos is a jewel in the roughSebos is a jewel in the rough

The fact remains as stated by furball that if players were great then they should still be great. A great allaince surly is not one that has more members than the next but has more skill, commitment and of course its own share of great players. If the players that were great then came back then surly would the allainces not follow. Old friends from rounds past from the same gals would join the same allainces and make buddy packs. A lot may have changed but there is still betas ect for the returning players to regain thier feel for the game. Prehaps who knows some of the old long forgotten tactics some of which will be now over looked could provide an upper hand who knows.

This would also put all allainces old on the same battle ground allowing them to compete with the new and once and for all proving that they are indeed better than the new generation of pa players.
Sebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2005, 16:20   #5
Tesla
Custom User Title

Tesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to all

yawn. Planetarion isn't exactly rocket science. I played r1 to r9,5 (more or less), however I quit when it became pax. I am however certain that I would do well if I could be assed to play, and maybe one day I will. And yes I would drag several oldies back if I returned as I don't feel like joining sum newbass alliance and starting over from scratch
Unread 11 Sep 2005, 23:02   #6
Willzzz
Legion Idle Master

Willzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud of

Maybe a lot of old allies will return. You never know with this game. That way many old players may return as well. You will just have to keep playing and hope for the best
Willzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2005, 01:57   #7
CryWolf
Muad'Dib

CryWolf is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla
yawn. Planetarion isn't exactly rocket science.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaw..... now I feel mislead.. :-/

"Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
CryWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2005, 02:59   #8
I am Idler
This is bat country

I am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

VtS comeback ftw
Unread 14 Sep 2005, 10:08   #9
Tesla
Custom User Title

Tesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryWolf
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaw..... now I feel mislead.. :-/
newbwolf
Unread 15 Sep 2005, 16:45   #10
CryWolf
Muad'Dib

Quote:
newbwolf

naaah.. idlewolf =) heh.. you still stuck out in that rainy hole we call home? or you out studying / working some place?

"Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
Unread 15 Sep 2005, 17:01   #11
Willzzz
Legion Idle Master

Willzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Idler
VtS comeback ftw

Now that brought a smile to my face.

Played: Round 1-13. PA Team: Round 13-17. The Return: Round 18-19. PA Team: Round 20. Return.. Again: Round 21-37 Retired: Round 38 Returned: Round 39-45 Retired: Round 45 Returned: Round: 56

p3nguin Founder
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 00:23   #12
Hiall

Hiall is a splendid one to beholdHiall is a splendid one to beholdHiall is a splendid one to beholdHiall is a splendid one to beholdHiall is a splendid one to beholdHiall is a splendid one to behold

Hmm old days? Game would have to be free then :P
Hiall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 00:56   #13
CryWolf
Muad'Dib

the first thing which comes to mind when someone says the old days.. is setting the alarm for 5,5 hour intervals so that one wouldnt get squashed from in cluster rnd 2 =)

Unread 16 Sep 2005, 01:28   #14
Cayl

Cayl has a spectacular aura aboutCayl has a spectacular aura about

Round 11.
1up.

'nuff said
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 09:32   #15
Mooseh
ROFFLE

Mooseh can only hope to improve

We/They won't come back to play "that space game", mainly because these people were the people who had poor sleep patterns/nothing better to do back in round 1, which was like 6 years ago (correct me if I'm wrong). People change a lot in 6 years, most people mature slightly (with the possible exception of Dead_Meat ). I know I for one couldn't be arsed getting up in the middle of the night to kick off my first batch of asteroids or texting 30 people at 2am to tell them they were getting attacked.

I got bored after rounds 3/4 essentially, as did most of the "oldies", going from the sheer scale of those rounds to the minute universe that you get due to P2P made the game a lot different.

Of course, what i've just said could be bollocks.... Let's reform TPE!
Mooseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 15:25   #16
Tesla
Custom User Title

Quote:
naaah.. idlewolf =) heh.. you still stuck out in that rainy hole we call home? or you out studying / working some place?
I'm studying.. Not that far from home though. To give you a hint as to where: "They educate a lot of teachers there".. Shud shed light on the location
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 17:22   #17
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
I'm studying.. Not that far from home though. To give you a hint as to where: "They educate a lot of teachers there".. Shud shed light on the location
University?
(though some would argue most people there can't teach)
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 22:48   #18
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
OMG VOLDA OMG
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 23:11   #19
Tesla
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
OMG VOLDA OMG
word.
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 23:17   #20
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

All the old players suck now.

True story.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2005, 23:40   #21
Appocomaster
PA Team

Organisation counts as much or more compared to earlier rounds - 1up is classed as a group of "old players" and, due to organisation, generally do pretty well
Unread 18 Sep 2005, 00:08   #22
CryWolf
Muad'Dib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
Organisation counts as much or more compared to earlier rounds - 1up is classed as a group of "old players" and, due to organisation, generally do pretty well

afaik organisation has always been the main contributor to success.. and dedication to the cause..

which is basically why I for one wont start playing again, I know I wont have the dedication which is needed to play this game yet again.. and I honestly dont see the point in playing, when not playing at top speed.. =)

Tesla --> You studying to be unemployed? heh.. don't tell me you're gonna be a teacher? ;-)

Unread 18 Sep 2005, 00:22   #23
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese
All the old players suck now.

True story.
Atleast your easy to fool.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2005, 09:06   #24
Willzzz
Legion Idle Master

Quote:

I second that. Your probably more idle then myself. And as far as the comment about 'old players cant play end of' i am tempted to challenge that comment cochease.

Played: Round 1-13. PA Team: Round 13-17. The Return: Round 18-19. PA Team: Round 20. Return.. Again: Round 21-37 Retired: Round 38 Returned: Round 39-45 Retired: Round 45 Returned: Round: 56

p3nguin Founder
Unread 18 Sep 2005, 09:27   #25
BlueDemon

BlueDemon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
yawn. Planetarion isn't exactly rocket science. I played r1 to r9,5 (more or less), however I quit when it became pax. I am however certain that I would do well if I could be assed to play, and maybe one day I will. And yes I would drag several oldies back if I returned as I don't feel like joining sum newbass alliance and starting over from scratch
Consider yourself "assed"

Personally, i don't think you old players, who haven't hung with the game, can do as well.

There, the guantlet has been throwed down, any old takers?
BlueDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2005, 09:32   #26
Willzzz
Legion Idle Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDemon
Consider yourself "assed"

Personally, i don't think you old players, who haven't hung with the game, can do as well.

There, the guantlet has been throwed down, any old takers?

Well as i said above i am tempted to take up the challenge. I know Planeration has evolved the last time i was here idling. And i guess i wouldnt say i was a brilliant player, mostly becuase i was an idle git which i will admit. But i still think i can give it one last try and perhaps prove your statement is not correct

p3nguin Founder
Unread 18 Sep 2005, 09:36   #27
BlueDemon

I will gladly retract my statement publicly, if I'm proven wrong
Unread 18 Sep 2005, 16:04   #28
Tesla
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDemon
I will gladly retract my statement publicly, if I'm proven wrong
Shameless "taunt to play" advertisement if I ever saw one.
Unread 18 Sep 2005, 16:05   #29
Tesla
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willzzz
Well as i said above i am tempted to take up the challenge. I know Planeration has evolved the last time i was here idling. And i guess i wouldnt say i was a brilliant player, mostly becuase i was an idle git which i will admit. But i still think i can give it one last try and perhaps prove your statement is not correct
I remember your playing abilities well. And I am also sure you would do well if u tried

Crywolf: I am indeed studying to become a teacher
Unread 18 Sep 2005, 16:34   #30
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

in this thread we read shameful admissions of tesla's wish to follow in forest's footsteps.

oh won't someone please think of the children
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2005, 16:44   #31
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future

you just think of yourself again selfish jernub !

[Ascendancy] - While you were trying, we were sleeping

jupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2005, 17:18   #32
Tesla
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ryzekiel_
in this thread we read shameful admissions of tesla's wish to follow in forest's footsteps.

oh won't someone please think of the children
Curious as to how you think I want to follow in Forests footsteps ? I didn't declare war in this thread... :s
Also I don't let people photograph my penis :-(
Unread 18 Sep 2005, 20:31   #33
Willzzz
Legion Idle Master

Quote:
I remember your playing abilities well. And I am also sure you would do well if u tried

Crywolf: I am indeed studying to become a teacher

You wasnt to bad yourself

p3nguin Founder
Unread 19 Sep 2005, 09:18   #34
BlueDemon

Quote:
Shameless "taunt to play" advertisement if I ever saw one.
Hey, it was worth a try, right hehe

Seriously, I would enjoy seeing the old players come back and give it a good shot, As Appoc stated before, some of the old players are already back and doing well
Unread 19 Sep 2005, 16:40   #35
Sention

Sention is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Curious as to how you think I want to follow in Forests footsteps ? I didn't declare war in this thread... :s
I remember the photograph... Think I was in RB at the time.

Im never opening another irc link again.
Sention is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Sep 2005, 23:23   #36
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
honey, forest is a teacher.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Sep 2005, 00:43   #37
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I played r1- pax. then idled a few round, b4 I started playing again this round.

Isnt rocket science to do ok.

Top 40 ish atm, but ok considering various factors.

U need activity and connections, connections is something the old vets still have, the activity might vary ofc.

hehe

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Sep 2005, 06:48   #38
titus
GAH

titus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
some old players do return (and often with great success), but the game has developed over the years since it started. Activity is still a key part, but alliances are now much more important to many people than galaxies. All Research/Constructions are now Researches (and free) - constructions have changed completely in nature. Asteroids don't have to be scanned for; just initated. Alliances are limited to 100 players each, and there's no "tags" any more. There's no more PDS, but there are "Covert Ops" and "Engineering" instead. All sorts of thing in the game have changed - I'm sure you'll find combat more simple, for example.
So you mean there is challenge to get "into" these new things?

Ok, I'll play next round of PA and lets see how things have changed since r7

$SIG{CHLD} = 'IGNORE';

core dumped
titus is offline   Reply With Quote