User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 6 Dec 2002, 14:00   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Maths: How to calculate ray-sphere collision/intersection

How can I determine if a ray goes through a sphere?
Information one has is the direction and start position of the ray, and the position and radius of the sphere.

TY
Unread 6 Dec 2002, 14:54   #2
[GAP]Obiwan

[GAP]Obiwan is an unknown quantity at this point
Do your own bloody homework!!!
[ICE]DC
[Deus]
[Tok'ra]
[Ostraka]
www.tit.aresexy.com
[GAP]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Dec 2002, 16:18   #3
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Dec 2002, 16:19   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by [GAP]Obiwan
Do your own bloody homework!!!
He's developing a 3D engine - this is not homework.

Unread 6 Dec 2002, 16:54   #5
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
He's developing a 3D engine - this is not homework.

yeh.... consider it "hobby".

Anyway, I've done the nescesary googling but I don't seem to be able to find the calculations.
This is about the best thing I could find but doesn't give any information on the calculation (kinda stuck on part 2).

BTW, queball, your link made my computer crash..... twice =/
Unread 6 Dec 2002, 17:12   #6
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I don't think this is what you're looking for but it does have calcs for doing plane-sphere collision that might apply with some shiny pictures.
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Dec 2002, 17:15   #7
Blind Guy

lsrogpefehgr9eut30tu
dzfgudhveo8gh
EO*fe9grg9pgorhg'45ihrgvnd\9y(Y3e9rhofhht\g9
\erg@IGFheitu3)(UT(GF40y5YT0\P9EVJLI ODZHFE9gu4wp9tH ef0u
4P9U6T)uGTE
UT(WT
acIDHGERYHThefjndcm
d0gie[0tiorjgojskmflkmnskfjbm, [aasorg
ior
Unread 6 Dec 2002, 17:19   #8
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Blind Guy
poor attempt at humour
There's always got to be one... well ok, in this place, more like 5 or 6.

Unread 6 Dec 2002, 17:22   #9
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Let the google queen have a go

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~gfx/Cour.../lecture03.ppt

[edit]even better link http://www.cmlab.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~js...ta/faq_rt.html Search terms: Ray spehere intersect. Told you I was the google queen \o/ [/edit]
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Dec 2002, 17:29   #10
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
Let the google queen have a go

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~gfx/Cour.../lecture03.ppt
You, miss, are not only a queen, you are a god!

BTW, pablissimo, the article behind the link you posted SEEMS to have the solution to ellipsoid collision detection (I quickly looked over it and saw it mentioned, not ellipsoid vs ellipsiod tho). I've been looking for that earlier .

I LOVE YOU ALL!!!

(Except Blind Guy then)
Unread 6 Dec 2002, 17:33   #11
Blind Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
There's always got to be one... well ok, in this place, more like 5 or 6.

Maybe the real issue here is your lack of humour.
Unread 6 Dec 2002, 17:51   #12
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Maybe the real issue here is your lack of humour.
I don't want to be a pitnicker, but neither do I see the humor of a set random characters in a thread....

You might want to review your definition of humor.
Unread 6 Dec 2002, 18:03   #13
Blind Guy

It was ROTFLMAO funny when I first posted random characters.

Then it was funny, just not "ha ha" funny.

Now the gimmicky goodness is gone.
Unread 6 Dec 2002, 19:53   #14
Cyp
∞+♪˛

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point
To use some formulas to do with spheres, with ellipsoids, a linear transformation of coordinates should be able to change the whole system so the ellipsoid turns into a sphere, so the formulas can be used.

Although maybe you have all the ellipsoid formulas you need by now, anyway.
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Dec 2002, 20:57   #15
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
It was ROTFLMAO funny when I first posted random characters.

Then it was funny, just not "ha ha" funny.

Now the gimmicky goodness is gone.
Problem is we already had a 'blind person gimmick.' So no new ground has been broken.

The theory is sound tho.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Dec 2002, 22:54   #16
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Learn some bloody math.
Unread 6 Dec 2002, 23:13   #17
Idi

Quote:
Originally posted by W
Learn some bloody math.
it appears, that that is exactly what he is trying to do!
Unread 7 Dec 2002, 14:09   #18
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally posted by W
Learn some bloody math.

Trying....
Be happy I'm not asking for ready made code. That'd require me a whole lot less work, but I want to understand what I'm doing.
Unread 7 Dec 2002, 14:16   #19
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
ok, what I really meant was "take a math course/buy a math book/hire a math tutor". Or even STFW. A place to start might be to look up the parametric functions for various geometric objects, and how you can use them to calculate distance/intersection/angles etc.