User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 18 Dec 2002, 23:26   #1
Schleng

Private galaxies

According to Zeus there will be private galaxies once again, wot do ppl feel about this announcement, i for one am happy to see them integrate this back in, but wot is ur opinion?:deer: :frosty: :xmas: :smiley1:
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 23:28   #2
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
As I read it, round 9 will be a warmup for Jolt and a way of keeping the current playerbase happy while round 10 is prepared for a mass publicity campaign and what will be effectively a relaunch of PA. Anyone else see it that way?
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 23:31   #3
janks
Planetarion Lover

janks is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree and am looking forward to play r10, but i will play r9 too and be happy to be able to play with friends
janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 23:32   #4
Grimble
Banned

Grimble is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
As I read it, round 9 will be a warmup for Jolt and a way of keeping the current playerbase happy while round 10 is prepared for a mass publicity campaign and what will be effectively a relaunch of PA. Anyone else see it that way?
1. This would probably be a good way to go about it
2. They've hired Spinner, Zeus and Fudge

it just doesn't add up :smiley1:

edit: I'll probably play round 9, if only to have a shared politics board with some friends to take the piss
Grimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 23:40   #5
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future
anyone else notice they neglected to mention if rd9 is free or p2p

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 23:43   #6
Zeus
True Gamer

Zeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
\o/ someone sees it
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 23:47   #7
Emyn^
A Fresh Prince

Emyn^ is an unknown quantity at this point
i'd prefer a wait then a r10 (as round 9 (or can't we name them something other than rounds and start at 0 (or sth))) with new, "exciting" features. a p2p private galaxy r9 will just loose the few people hanging onto the game, imo by the time they get to r10 there will no longer be an interest.

give us a revised game (r3 revised) with random, 25 galaxies and make it worth the wait, or make round 9 short (e.g. 1 month )

anyway, grats to zeus, spinner etc on joining jolt, lets get back to r4-6 style mmm, the good old days so to speak

#spacehamsters \o/
  • R3 - n/a - 223:22
  • R4 - MI/GI - 121:11
  • R5 - MI - 27:21
  • R6 - Deus - 34:20
  • R7 - ViruS - 14:24
  • R8 - n/a - n/a
Emyn^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 23:50   #8
WST
A Big Pile of Awesome

WST is on a distinguished road
see round 9 as champ manager 2002/3, and round 10 as champ manager 4, a complete revamp, not just an update

good to see private gals back
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 23:51   #9
Emyn^
A Fresh Prince

Emyn^ is an unknown quantity at this point
while im here, get those damn new graphics in

#spacehamsters \o/
  • R3 - n/a - 223:22
  • R4 - MI/GI - 121:11
  • R5 - MI - 27:21
  • R6 - Deus - 34:20
  • R7 - ViruS - 14:24
  • R8 - n/a - n/a
Emyn^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 23:51   #10
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Zeus
\o/ someone sees it
I always do

Congratulations on your new appointment and good luck to all three of you. Ignore the imbeciles knocking you and get back to your baby
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 00:30   #11
-QS-
nub since 2002

-QS- is an unknown quantity at this point
Whatever PA will look like I`m in, cause I`m addicted

Well, I would have loved to see another random round, but when you look on p-board, you`ll see that some decent allies will leave the game, so there might be a new order. Anyways, I think priv gals lead to stagnation which slowly destroys the game. Possibly and hopefully I am wrong.

Pld pa-crew and congratz to your new jobs! Looking for forward to see tons of innovations here in the future, thx 4 saving PA!!!!!!
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 02:01   #12
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about
If r9 would ahve meen random I would have skipped it. With my bad luck it's useless to go random. My gal had rank 550 after 2 weeks, and the gay I exciled to was around rank 500
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 03:03   #13
[Cymru]
Lord of the Sheep

[Cymru] is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with the organised galaxies. Not many people will continue to play this game if each round is just dictated by how many losers end up in their gal.

If it is p2p then imo they set up 15 player gals consisting of two groups of 5 organised people in with 5 randoms or maybe even 20 per gal with 10 randoms, then at least it will integrate some randomness into the game while stopping most of the suspicions of spies and in-gal backstabbing.

If its free however, i think there should be three groups of 5 organised players shuffled into 15 player galaxies.

And for the sake of the game R10 should be free even if it means a shorter round.
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 03:10   #14
r72dk

r72dk is an unknown quantity at this point
my opinion goes here

http://www.jolt.co.uk/paf/showthread...hreadid=155463
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 03:21   #15
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree that private galaxies should be available, but random and private galaxies have to be balanced.
R7 (was it?) saw 15 planet priv gals and 25 planet random gals. That was not enough of a disadvantage.
We need something like;
private gals of 4 planets (1 group of 4 players)
private gals of 6 planets (2 groups of 3 players)
private gals of 8 planets (4 groups of 2 players)
random gals of 10 planets.

Which of those options would you choose? And based purely on strategic considerations? If you can't make up your mind, they are probably well balanced...
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 03:31   #16
Hala
Turtle!

Hala is an unknown quantity at this point
Annoucement seems fine except for one little thing I noticed which might want to be changed (see further down). Would be nice to know about whether its free or p2p, I for one won't be dishing out any money for another round of pa simply because of the player numbers. As for those whinging about it being private, one simple fact about last round, if you did well you had fun, if your gal was crap then you didn't, not surprising to see those who did well last round (who on the whole were lucky enough to end up in l33t galaxies (not all, some did very well with shocking gals, but very few) whinging about it.

Anyway the thing I noticed in the announcement was this:
Quote:
As many of you know, the infamous gaming company Jolt now control the Planetarion game.
I don't think infamous is the right word Perhaps famous...
to quote dictionary.com
in·fa·mous
adj.
1. Having an exceedingly bad reputation; notorious.
2. Causing or deserving infamy; heinous: an infamous deed.

I for one haven't heard anything bad about jolt, and I doubt someone now employed by them would be calling them that unless it was a simple gramatical error (I hope ) so perhaps changing it (removing the in and making it just famous) would be advisable.
R4: n00b planet
R5: 5:1:10 Halaka of the Land of Milk and Honey - UV
R6: 35:15:10 Frozzy of The Honey Jar - WP - Later NoS
R7: 29:18:7 Muffin-Man of The Bakery - NoS
R8: 55:10:7 General Hague of The Alexander - Virus - Officer
R9: Scan planet - Virus - Officer
R9.5: 13:3:9 Mandrake of Duntion Wood - Virus - Officer
Hala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 04:01   #17
yodaa800
Open da mouth!

yodaa800 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by gzambo
yes
[22:47:48] <Metrofx> i was asked if i was gay before in pa
[22:47:51] <Metrofx> i answered yes
yodaa800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 04:17   #18
branko

branko is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by [Cymru]
I agree with the organised galaxies. Not many people will continue to play this game if each round is just dictated by how many losers end up in their gal.

If it is p2p then imo they set up 15 player gals consisting of two groups of 5 organised people in with 5 randoms or maybe even 20 per gal with 10 randoms, then at least it will integrate some randomness into the game while stopping most of the suspicions of spies and in-gal backstabbing.

If its free however, i think there should be three groups of 5 organised players shuffled into 15 player galaxies.

And for the sake of the game R10 should be free even if it means a shorter round.
Mostly it mean nothing how good your galaxy is I was finish in top 20 planet and myself was holding about 65% of roids and score that make my galaxy wary unpopular target,Why?? coz every single BC when looking for a target thay usualy take about target looking on score first (about 100-150 or 200-250 or 300-350 galaxy place) depends of his battlegroups.Then he take a look at galaxy roids-ratio (total) and when he see that in some galaxy one guy is holding almoust ALL of roids and score he say **** this let me see another one galaxy.The best targets is where almoust all ppl in galaxy have about same size-score.Yes I know there are always ppl who can team-up in one target (my usual incoming was about 10-15 mid size ppl or 5-7 BIG guys,Bigger then me,except few situation when half of one big alliance launch on me,also few waves from ketchup and his BG but this was not usual) And guess what I lose 0 roids entire round.Every single BC with a little brain knows that top planets cant be roided in regular attacks.

The private galaxy is just for a ppl who like to siting in the fence and enjoy in his powerblock domination.But when this ppl go in galaxy where thay are on there own uuups one morning all fleets are gone
branko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 04:22   #19
Athila

ah, god dammit, I'm gonna have to find a new ISP somewhere all the flat rate monthly fee ones barred me b/c I was on 24/7... hmmm, don't want to miss r9 :-(
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 04:23   #20
branko

branko is an unknown quantity at this point
one more thing in private galaxy there is account shering like hell.

are someone see account shering in random galaxy?????
branko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 04:31   #21
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Sid suggested mini private galaxies in Round 4 nice to see by Round 9 you've all caught up. Now we just have to wait until Round 11 until the creators realise it may be a good idea
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 04:36   #22
Eol
The Subtle/Profound

Eol is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by gzambo
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 04:38   #23
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Apparently Zeus is recommending that it remains P2P for R9
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 05:54   #24
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
I think private galaxies would be a really bad idea for R9.

They should be looking to broaden their user base at this point. New owners, new host--time to bring some new blood into the game (and lure back some of the tens of thousands who've left).

A free random round would be best. Even a free random mini-round (say, 6 weeks) if that's all they can afford. Next best would be a free private round. Worst would be a p2p private round. A p2p private round caters only to the hard-core players, most of whom frankly would probably play R9 regardless.

Given that this is PA, and they've brought back the old management, I guess we're looking at p2p private for R9.

:reindeer:
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 05:55   #25
r72dk

p2p again ??

now that i was thinking in playign again and see PA filling with ppl...

Lets face it, better have a 100k universe even if 20k are bots, multis and others than 5k which only 1k play actively and 250 keep bothering after 2 months playtime.

no p2p plz..

r72dk
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 13:17   #26
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by r72dk
p2p again ??

now that i was thinking in playign again and see PA filling with ppl...

Lets face it, better have a 100k universe even if 20k are bots, multis and others than 5k which only 1k play actively and 250 keep bothering after 2 months playtime.

no p2p plz..

r72dk
Remember round 9 is a 'holding pattern' for those of us already playing. At a guess I'd say they don't want too many new players until round 10 when everything is ready for a relaunch and the extensive development that's planned will almost certainly (as I see it) include the long lost mythical multi-detection toolkit enabling free players to play (hopefully crippled accounts though) without causing the utter mayhem of mass multis.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 13:31   #27
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Well the way it's looking at the moment I can't see round 9 being very good.

Even less players than round 8 and no alliance wars.
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Funny Film Reviews :: SWOS
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 13:33   #28
Spearhead
Beyond The Sun

Spearhead is an unknown quantity at this point
there will be wars scouse...always will be, its a war game isnt it ?
btw you playing ?

anyway if its p2p i cant be arsed sorry, but i aint p(l)aying...

Last edited by Spearhead; 19 Dec 2002 at 13:41.
Spearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 13:34   #29
DarkAngel
Nothing Is Forever.

DarkAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
i don't see why ppl bitch about paying tbh.
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 13:37   #30
Spearhead
Beyond The Sun

Spearhead is an unknown quantity at this point
well ill state my case :

if we have to pay, most wont join, this means there wont be many players...means not to many targets...means no fun...

its's just the way it is...and Azrael dont call me a bitch or ill smack you on IRC later

Acid
Spearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 13:46   #31
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Hicks
Apparently Zeus is recommending that it remains P2P for R9
Zeus has seemed to favour p2p in some discussions that have been had mainly due to the fact he doesnt see the business sense in Jolt taking a loss on the product immediatly. However the counter argument is that there wont be enough p2p people to actually support a fully p2p round without effectivly putting the final nail in the coffin of PA before jolt have time to make the planned changes. Its really got to the stage that PA needs a free round just to get it some good 'press' just so Jolt have something to work with for their 'relaunch'
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 13:51   #32
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by wakey
<snip>
Rather than repeat myself, see my post in the sticky poll
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 14:01   #33
DarkAngel
Nothing Is Forever.

DarkAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Spearhead
well ill state my case :

if we have to pay, most wont join, this means there wont be many players...means not to many targets...means no fun...

its's just the way it is...and Azrael dont call me a bitch or ill smack you on IRC later

Acid
nothing in life is free.

lo btw
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 14:01   #34
Galaxian

Galaxian is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Zeus has seemed to favour p2p in some discussions that have been had mainly due to the fact he doesnt see the business sense in Jolt taking a loss on the product immediatly. However the counter argument is that there wont be enough p2p people to actually support a fully p2p round without effectivly putting the final nail in the coffin of PA before jolt have time to make the planned changes. Its really got to the stage that PA needs a free round just to get it some good 'press' just so Jolt have something to work with for their 'relaunch'
I agree with this.

A p2p private-gal based round now will effectively kill off whats left of the current community. They will be lucky to get 3k players to sign up for round 9, and of those 3k, 2k will quit when they realise how crap such a small player base is. Not many will come back for round 10.

I know you think its just a 'holding pattern' until round 10 Gayle, but I don't see how killing off most of whats left of the current community helps the new owners promote PA.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 14:06   #35
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by Galaxian
...think its just a 'holding pattern' until round 10 Gayle, but I don't see how killing off most of whats left of the current community helps the new owners promote PA.
See my post in the sticky poll
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 14:37   #36
Whis
never

Whis is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Its really got to the stage that PA needs a free round just to get it some good 'press' just so Jolt have something to work with for their 'relaunch'
Yup, I agree with this also.
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 15:21   #37
r72dk

Quote:
Originally posted by branko
Mostly it mean nothing how good your galaxy is I was finish in top 20 planet and myself was holding about 65% of roids and score that make my galaxy wary unpopular target,Why?? coz every single BC when looking for......

Yes I know there are always ppl who can team-up in one target (my usual incoming was about 10-15 mid size ppl or 5-7 BIG guys,Bigger then me,except few situation when half of one big alliance launch on me,also few waves from ketchup and his BG but this was not usual) And guess what I lose 0 roids entire round

The private galaxy is just for a ppl who like to siting in the fence and enjoy in his powerblock domination.But when this ppl go in galaxy where thay are on there own uuups one morning all fleets are gone
I guess you speak on your person only.
Ever considered the fact that 70% players of this game, or those we aim to start playing the game dont have the possibilities or contacts or defence available you have ?

If you want more examples.... i was given a dying planet at mid round just for having a bit of fun.... i had between 500- 700 init roids and between 1,5 - 2 mil score if that much, i had incomigns for whole week and havent lost a single roid and killed most fleets that didnt recall. How did that happen, because i knew some high scored mates. How many newbies have that possibilities ? 1% if that much......
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 15:26   #38
r72dk

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkAngel
i don't see why ppl bitch about paying tbh.
Because PA is only fun ALL round with over 60k active players.
Remember the change from 180k planets to 40k between r4 and r5?
Maybe you didnt notice in your alliance as i didnt notice when i was in legion, but while i was there me and leff were having fun gathering small alliances toghether, we managed to gather about 6-10 small ones and have close to 100 'casual' players in chans, all because we could. One week after p2p was announced half those were there, two weeks after we´ve quit the idea.
Unread 24 Dec 2002, 17:30   #39
zenopus
Xenoc

Quote:
Originally posted by Athila
ah, god dammit, I'm gonna have to find a new ISP somewhere all the flat rate monthly fee ones barred me b/c I was on 24/7... hmmm, don't want to miss r9 :-(
Just came across this article at Demon.
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 05:08   #40
[Cymru]
Lord of the Sheep

[Cymru] is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by zenopus
Just came across this article at Demon.
I hope you cleaned up afterwards!
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 11:05   #41
Kileman
Commander

Kileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to behold
Having to pay personally is a problem not for the money issue, but for the fact that it drives away potential players, resulting in a smaller and less interesting universe. And there is no way id pay for another random round.
________
Ford germany history

Last edited by Kileman; 24 Feb 2011 at 21:22.
Kileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 11:42   #42
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
I guess you speak on your person only.
Ever considered the fact that 70% players of this game, or those we aim to start playing the game dont have the possibilities or contacts or defence available you have ?

If you want more examples.... i was given a dying planet at mid round just for having a bit of fun.... i had between 500- 700 init roids and between 1,5 - 2 mil score if that much, i had incomigns for whole week and havent lost a single roid and killed most fleets that didnt recall. How did that happen, because i knew some high scored mates. How many newbies have that possibilities ? 1% if that much......
I hereby remove my suggestion to bring this guy in as a beta tester.

Cheaters should have no place in any such position
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 12:32   #43
zenopus
Xenoc

Quote:
... i was given a dying planet at mid round ...
Quote:
Originally posted by Chax
I hereby remove my suggestion to bring this guy in as a beta tester.

Cheaters should have no place in any such position
OTOH, such a move would provide an opportunity to test anti-cheat features...

On a more serious note - such an admittal taints all his posts about wanting a free round. Well partially - any valid arguments he has made still hold ofc. But the integrity of his motives for wanting a free round has been compromised.
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 14:47   #44
Euphoria

private gals are GOOD if you have a lot of close friends/ alliance however for those people who dont have close friends or alliances (people who are new to PA) are going to be buggered cos its going to lead to gangbanging etc.

I donno maybe people will use that damn stargate or whatever it is which the MoW controls or something?!?!?!? never actually seen that thing in action yet! i seen someone use it but thats about it...

Its also going to be unfair on people who end up in a super powerful gal and because he isnt a friend or as experianced as some members it would be very easy for them members of an alliance or group to team up and vote anyone out who they dont aprove of!
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 15:07   #45
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
*sigh*

Frankly i've never liked private galaxies... they were fun when they started, but it ruins the diplomacy of the game. Alliances and friends who inhabit gals can run all the politics out beforehand and it removes the element that drew me into Planetarion to start with... gaining people's trust enough to be GC or have a ministerial position etc...

But i fear diplomacy has gone from Planetarion forever

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 15:12   #46
Jonny

I think its better with random gals then you need skill to keep the gal together.
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 15:43   #47
Neo
Pony

Neo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: *sigh*

Quote:
Originally posted by Mushroom
Frankly i've never liked private galaxies... they were fun when they started, but it ruins the diplomacy of the game. Alliances and friends who inhabit gals can run all the politics out beforehand and it removes the element that drew me into Planetarion to start with... gaining people's trust enough to be GC or have a ministerial position etc...
Couldn't agree more

Look at it another way...
Was the player base success of r4 caused by:

1) Finally being ables to be in your friends galaxy?

or

2) 3 random rounds where 'veterans' and newbies was put in the same boat?
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 18:32   #48
Dibdevlin
N/A

Dibdevlin is an unknown quantity at this point
Having not actively played in a few rounds I will not play any round with Private Galaxies.

No chance of success or having fun.
Dibdevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 19:15   #49
RealJames
Retired at the top

RealJames is infamous around these parts
Personally I'd like to see a return to the R7 system where you could opt to have private or random galaxies, thereby allowing players who want to go out there and share galaxies with new people the ability to do so, and those that want to choose who is in their galaxy the power to do so also.

"That's what the internet's for - slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards, J&SBSB
RealJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 19:25   #50
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by RealJames
Personally I'd like to see a return to the R7 system where you could opt to have private or random galaxies, thereby allowing players who want to go out there and share galaxies with new people the ability to do so, and those that want to choose who is in their galaxy the power to do so also.
That didn't really work though, the people who did choose to go random (and were stuck with the free playing people) were at a disadvantage to the private gals, as there was a VERY bad ratio of experienced players to new players in the random galaxies. It only really works if you have all private gals or all random gals, which is a shame really because that system in theory would have pleased both sides

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote