User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 23 Mar 2005, 00:57   #1
The General8
NOT a yuppie....yet

The General8 is infamous around these partsThe General8 is infamous around these parts
Er, wired modem problem

This has started happening recently and its very anoyying.

my modem cuts out and assigns it self a ip address in such as 194.100.8.100 and the internet connection does not work, yet when something trys to use the internet and keeps retrying to connect it eventully manages to assign itself the right ip to connect to the net of 62.254.***.** or whatever, its very wired, when looking on the connection details 194.100.8.100 is actully NTLs DNS server, yet somtimes it gets applied as the computers proper ip and nothing can connect untill a programme keeps retrying to connect and "forces" the connection to work.

i am using a motherboard with 2 inbuilt lan connecters, one gigabit and one normal, tho i get the same problem with the modem when using usb aswell so i dont think it could be that.

any ideas, or is it NTL being unreliable?

Quote:
Originally posted by an anon neg-repper

all your posts are shit. it's like a more accurate turbonegro song
i post on a internet forum!
The General8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 01:26   #2
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Er, wired modem problem

Do you know if the modem has a built-in router? Has the modem any configuration options at all?
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 05:36   #3
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Er, wired modem problem

I use an NTL cable modem. Recently its connection strength dropped and assigned IPs like 192.168.100.2, which is private address space. A phonecall later an NTL engineer came round and upped the connection strength and it's fine now. It has never assigned an IP like 194.100.8.100 for me.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...ips/badip.html
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 14:38   #4
Minty
Who?

Minty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant future

Adware?

<Bobzy> Minty, you have a line for everything
<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Ice-Lady> minty is a odd boy
<Game> Minty rocks
<Queen> no minty..cos u rock
<HobbieRogue4> Minty, you stone!
Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 15:09   #5
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

i`d have though it just got confused and thought the dns address the isp hands out to the modem was meant to be its own ip address.
utter guess though
Unread 25 Mar 2005, 12:28   #6
The General8
NOT a yuppie....yet

The General8 is infamous around these partsThe General8 is infamous around these parts

Its driving me up the bloody bend now, its refusing to work at all, time to give ntl a ring methinks.....

Quote:
Originally posted by an anon neg-repper

all your posts are shit. it's like a more accurate turbonegro song
i post on a internet forum!
The General8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2005, 13:28   #7
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General8
Its driving me up the bloody bend now, its refusing to work at all, time to give ntl a ring methinks.....
"Up the wall" or "Round the bend"

Please refrain from mixing phrases to suit yourself.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote