User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 2 May 2004, 14:27   #1
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
gateway drugs!

so im thinking about taking ketamin, obviously objectively this isnt a very good idea, it being very similar in its effects to heroin and highly good and also highly addictive

but i find temptation in this kind of arena (or temptation in almost any) very difficult to deal with, id never think of buying some myself, but a friend has said hed give me a line for free. Right now when im sober im thinking id never do it though, which is a good thing (and also probably good because id never take ketamin while drunk as its highly dangerous). Anyway, someone else pointed out to me that i would take heroin in certain situations also, and probably crack too. Both of these would be if i was even slightly off my head and someone was offering.

anyway, just saying, gateway drugs theory is berlatantly true upon highly impressionable people like myself. even with things people would never have considered using under any circumstances before

anyone ever taken any heroin like stuff themselves? or crack?
Unread 2 May 2004, 14:31   #2
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: gateway drugs!

What is this gateway drugs theory of which you speak?
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2004, 14:35   #3
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The "gateway drugs" theory seems to be partially true on a very basic level, but only because of the stupid attitude towards drugs in the first place.

I mean, lots of people take pot and only pot, and therefore it's not exactly like it's inevitable. But it does seem that lots of people try one drug, and then another, and then another, etc. This partially seems to be because that drugs are taboo / illegal in the first place. Once someone has taken the step into having to associate with potentially undesirable people, it's a lot eaiser to go the whole hog.

There's also the issue that once you realise that 90% of all information about drugs is utter bullshit, it's easier to dismiss any potentially real dangers. Boy who cried wolf basically. If they laid off the "One Ecstacy Tablet Can Kill!" bullshit then people might believe the hype on Heroin or whatever.

Having said all that, I plan to take heroin and ketamine in the future; I see no problem with experimentation. Obviously if you're completley weak-willed then it's probably not the best plan in the world.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2004, 14:35   #4
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

um, taking less dangerous/addictive drugs lead to you wanting to get bigger highs etc so you take more dangerous/addictive ones that you would not have without taking the 'safer' ones.
Unread 2 May 2004, 14:41   #5
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
um, taking less dangerous/addictive drugs lead to you wanting to get bigger highs etc so you take more dangerous/addictive ones that you would not have without taking the 'safer' ones.
Possibly, although I'm not sure if it's a "bigger high" thing. I think people just want to find their drug of choice. Most drugs have particular problems / "gaps" and so people search for the thing for them. Possibly.

I mean, I'd like the confidence of alcohol / coke, the loved up feeling of E, energy of speed, insight of mushrooms all in one, without any of the agression / depression / sleep-depivation and paranoia respectively.
Unread 2 May 2004, 14:44   #6
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The gateway concept doesnt just apply to recreational drugs which are currently classed as illegal, it applies to pretty much everything that can be enjoyable. With certain people, the more you get into something, the more of it you tend to want., as the sensations often get more pleasurable as you become involved more deeply. This is what leads to (for example) people who only started going to the gym to lose a bit of weight turning into hard-core fitness types, or those who only started playing Go as a random pastime ending up devoting upwards of 6 hours a day to it.

It's up to you to set your own level of participation, and to draw the line where you think it needs to be drawn. The gateway 'theory' is useful to explain a social trend, but it doesnt really apply deterministically at an individual level, where progression is completely your choice at every stage.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2004, 14:45   #7
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

the problem is, im getting less and less from E than i used to, havent taken coke that much before.

weed and alchohol tolerances arent really going to go up any more, i hope.

also, i think i probably am weaker mentally when it comes to taking drugs and resisting habit forming than most people. always have been, which is why taking ketamin and heroin in the future might not be such a good idea for me personally. I have no problem with anyone else doing whatever they want though.
Unread 2 May 2004, 14:47   #8
Deciduous

Deciduous is an unknown quantity at this point

So what was the original 'pull' to taking drugs for you all then. I ask because despite being surrounded by people who drink heavily, smoke cigs and weed, do pills and a few folk who are into heroin (who I must admit are not a very good advert for it) I've never been interested in even trying them.
Deciduous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2004, 14:47   #9
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Possibly, although I'm not sure if it's a "bigger high" thing. I think people just want to find their drug of choice. Most drugs have particular problems / "gaps" and so people search for the thing for them. Possibly.

I mean, I'd like the confidence of alcohol / coke, the loved up feeling of E, energy of speed, insight of mushrooms all in one, without any of the agression / depression / sleep-depivation and paranoia respectively.
Wouldn't Prozac and sleeping pills cure those side-effects?
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2004, 14:48   #10
Deciduous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
This is what leads to (for example) people who only started going to the gym to lose a bit of weight turning into hard-core fitness types, or those who only started playing Go as a random pastime ending up devoting upwards of 6 hours a day to it.
Your OCD is showing again ;P
Unread 2 May 2004, 14:55   #11
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Nod did you just edit "8" to say "upwards of 6"?
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2004, 14:57   #12
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queball
Nod did you just edit "8" to say "upwards of 6"?
I changed the sentence structure, it didn't read properly.
Unread 2 May 2004, 15:07   #13
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by queball
Wouldn't Prozac and sleeping pills cure those side-effects?
Only by creating a bunch of other ones.
Unread 2 May 2004, 15:19   #14
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

If you think that the drugs will end up owning you (In the sense that you become a junkie*), I would not recomend trying them at all. I will never touch heroine/ketamine, beacause from prior experimenting, I do belive that I have a very short way to complete addiction. (There are a lot of factors playing in that makes me belive this)

If i had felt like i could do it a couple of times and never look back, I would do them with no regrets.

*You don't have to live on the street to be a junkie.
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2004, 15:20   #15
The General8
NOT a yuppie....yet

The General8 is infamous around these partsThe General8 is infamous around these parts

why do you need to take drugs? there are other ways to feel good you know

Quote:
Originally posted by an anon neg-repper

all your posts are shit. it's like a more accurate turbonegro song
i post on a internet forum!
The General8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2004, 15:20   #16
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deciduous
So what was the original 'pull' to taking drugs for you all then.
There's a Calvin and Hobbes strip where Calvin's father says something like :
"On your deathbed, no-one wishes they had spent more time at the office."

Life is for living, and within reason it seems sound enough to try and experience as much of it as possible (well, the enjoyable bits at least). Drugs, travelling, culture, other people, etc are all part of this.
Unread 2 May 2004, 15:21   #17
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General8
why do you need to take drugs?
Very few people "need" to. But why not?

Why do you play computer games? There's other ways to have fun you know!
Unread 2 May 2004, 15:22   #18
Nodrog

And so it begins.
Unread 2 May 2004, 15:23   #19
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
And so it begins.
Unread 2 May 2004, 15:24   #20
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

what dante said, i dont like to feel im missing out on something thats so readily available also. If they didnt exist i wouldnt care, but im glad ive taken all the drugs i have in my life.
Unread 2 May 2004, 15:28   #21
Nodrog

Quote:
Very few people "need" to. But why not?

Why do you play computer games? There's other ways to have fun you know!
This seems pretty silly and nihilistic. I'd like to think that most people who take recreational drugs which are currently classed as illegal (which I will abbreviate to RDCCI for the remainder of this thread) have a better reason for doing so than 'because theres nothing else to do' or 'why not?'.
Unread 2 May 2004, 15:28   #22
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So what was the original 'pull' to taking drugs for you all then. I ask because despite being surrounded by people who drink heavily, smoke cigs and weed, do pills and a few folk who are into heroin (who I must admit are not a very good advert for it) I've never been interested in even trying them.
I'm more or less in the same basket. Given that a large number of these drugs have effects on the respiratory system and I'm an asthmatic who's extremly allergic to smoke it would be very foolish of me to even try.

That said, it would seem to me most cases I have seen have resulted from the person wanting escapism.They want for a brief moment to be in a world outside their own and without consequence. This can be either direct or indirect escapism, but I can think of few examples where this is not the case.
Unread 2 May 2004, 15:33   #23
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General8
why do you need to take drugs?
It's good. So why not?
Unread 2 May 2004, 15:41   #24
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
This seems pretty silly and nihilistic. I'd like to think that most people who take recreational drugs which are currently classed as illegal (which I will abbreviate to RDCCI for the remainder of this thread) have a better reason for doing so than 'because theres nothing else to do' or 'why not?'.
Well, on a very obvious level the reason why people take drugs is because they enjoy the effects for whatever reason. I was presuming he was talking about trying for the first time (which is slightly different).

Also his question relied on "not taking drugs" being the default to which everyone who divert from had to supply justification. Such a question phrased the same way about computer games wouldn't be asked in the same fashion (thus my rhetorical question).
Unread 2 May 2004, 15:42   #25
Snurx
Dirte

It's the whole truth. It makes me feel good. You're correct, however, that it's a way to escape this grey and evil world, but that's one of the main reasons why it's good.
Unread 2 May 2004, 15:45   #26
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snurx
It's the whole truth. It makes me feel good. You're correct, however, that it's a way to escape this grey and evil world, but that's one of the main reasons why it's good.
It's the reason.
Unread 2 May 2004, 15:47   #27
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
It's the reason.
Not really. Taking K or Heroin might be about escapism, but I don't really see how (say) going to a nightclub, taking E while chatting to people, dancing, having fun, etc is about "escaping" anything particularly.
Unread 2 May 2004, 15:47   #28
Snurx
Dirte

Quote:
It's the reason.

Probably, yes.

This can be applied to almost anything most of us western humans do, I think.
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Unread 2 May 2004, 15:47   #29
Deciduous

Quote:
Also his question relied on "not taking drugs" being the default to which everyone who divert from had to supply justification. Such a question phrased the same way about computer games wouldn't be asked in the same fashion (thus my rhetorical question).
I'm not sure that makes sense. Of course everyone starts off in a state of not taking drugs, just as they start off not playing computer games or not being a goth or listening to hiphop.
Unread 2 May 2004, 15:49   #30
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
I'm not sure that makes sense. Of course everyone starts off in a state of not taking drugs, just as they start off not playing computer games or not being a goth or listening to hiphop.
Yes, but it's not something that would normally be asked, is it? "Why do you listen to hip-hop, there's plenty of other music out there!" would be a monumentally stupid question since 90% of the time it'll be answered with "I like it" (or equivalent).
Unread 2 May 2004, 15:52   #31
Deciduous

Quote:
Yes, but it's not something that would normally be asked, is it? "Why do you listen to hip-hop, there's plenty of other music out there!" would be a monumentally stupid questions since 90% of the time it'll be answered with "I like it".
Slightly different I think due to the nature of how you experience it. If I found out that I enjoy throwing myself down flights of stairs, you might not begrudge me the right to enjoy myself, but perhaps question how it came about that I decided to try it in the first place.
Unread 2 May 2004, 15:54   #32
Nodrog

Quote:
Not really. Taking K or Heroin might be about escapism, but I don't really see how (say) going to a nightclub, taking E while chatting to people, dancing, having fun, etc is about "escaping" anything particularly.
How is "I work all week to party on the weekends!" not an escapist form of life?
Unread 2 May 2004, 15:55   #33
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I propose we ban imagination to stop this dangerous "escapism" of which you speak. As such full frontal lobotomies for everyone!
Unread 2 May 2004, 15:55   #34
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Slightly different I think due to the nature of how you experience it. If I found out that I enjoy throwing myself down flights of stairs, you might not begrudge me the right to enjoy myself, but perhaps question how it came about that I decided to try it in the first place.
Maybe. But that's mainly due to the fact it's pretty unique. I find the idea of cutting myself pretty abhorrent, but as I've met quite a few people who do it, it's not something I'd expect them to justify.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idimmu
its the difference between drinking alcohol at a pub

and being an alcoholic
Well, if you mean that some drug use is like being an alcoholic, and others are like drinking in a pub socially then yeah. It seems weird to group it altogether.
Unread 2 May 2004, 15:56   #35
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
How is "I work all week to party on the weekends!" not an escapist form of life?
How is that related to drug taking specifically? Or can people not party without drugs?
Unread 2 May 2004, 15:57   #36
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by idimmu
people that only took an e once shouldnt be allowed to discuss drugs in the same way that people that dont understand sociology and philosophy dont talk about them \o/
If we can have an objective criteria for the latter point then I agree to this.
Unread 2 May 2004, 15:57   #37
djbass
mmm.. pills

Quote:
It's escaping consequence, reality, whatever. Now having not taken E I can only presume it's effects to be hallucinagenic (escapism from reality) and that much like alcohol it detaches you from consequence giving you the confidence to talk to people you would not normally talk to or hit on someone you normally wouldn't or get on the dance floor and shake your booty like a tard etc. See my point?
Unread 2 May 2004, 15:58   #38
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

Going on holiday is escapism.
Unread 2 May 2004, 15:59   #39
Deciduous

Nod did you just edit/delete a post or am I going mental?
Unread 2 May 2004, 16:01   #40
Nodrog

Quote:
It's escaping consequence, reality, whatever. Now having not taken E I can only presume it's effects to be hallucinagenic (escapism from reality) and that much like alcohol it detaches you from consequence giving you the confidence to talk to people you would not normally talk to or hit on someone you normally wouldn't or get on the dance floor and shake your booty like a tard etc. See my point?
This is silly. You cant talk about why 'all' people choose to do something for obvious reasons, and I dont really see why it matters why 'most' people do it unless youre doing some kind of statistical research. What's important is the possibile benefits/risks for yourself personally, not the psychological states of others.
Unread 2 May 2004, 16:02   #41
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
It's escaping consequence, reality, whatever. Now having not taken E I can only presume it's effects to be hallucinagenic (escapism from reality) and that much like alcohol it detaches you from consequence giving you the confidence to talk to people you would not normally talk to or hit on someone you normally wouldn't or get on the dance floor and shake your booty like a tard etc.
Not really, it's not hallucinagenic (at least, not as I've experienced) and I've never done anything I wouldn't normally do. But I'm a control freak so it's slightly different I guess. I dance like a 'tard with or without drugs. I obviously can't speak for other people.

I see what you are saying, but I think it's silly to say that "personality modifying drugs" (like alcohol) are "escapist". If you drink to forget that you hate your life then sure. If you have a few drinks to summon the courage to ask the bird you've had your eye on for weeks to dance then I'd hardly say it's "escapist" - if anything it's exposing you more to life (whatever that might mean).
Unread 2 May 2004, 16:07   #42
Nodrog

I think 'escapism' only makes when applied to lifestyles, not individual actions. Someone who is highly self-aware 6 days a week and does E on the seventh is committing escapism to a far lesser degree than someone who goes through most of their life half asleep but never touches recreational drugs at all. I think a lot of people probably use drugs to supplement an already escapist lifestyle, but this doesnt mean that this is their only purpose, nor does it lessen other benefits that can be derived from them.
Unread 2 May 2004, 16:12   #43
Danae
loved

Danae has a spectacular aura aboutDanae has a spectacular aura aboutDanae has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
so im thinking about taking ketamin
wow, how cool
Danae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2004, 16:13   #44
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

E can be hallucinogenic. MDMA isnt though. thats pretty much an irrelevant distinction for this discussion though.

i dont see what about it is so much 'escapism'. If you are going to say that anything fun is escapism then you should stop referring to this escapism as such a negative thing. You could add computer games, concerts, television, anything, all of them to some degree escapism. But you dont say someone is damaging themselves or 'getting addicted' while they are partaking in such things.

it does seem to me there is also an element of jealousy in those posting anti drug rhetoric. Of course that isnt always true, but those who have not experienced cant really judge.
Unread 2 May 2004, 16:15   #45
Nodrog

Quote:
E can be hallucinogenic. MDMA isnt though. thats pretty much an irrelevant distinction for this discussion though.

i dont see what about it is so much 'escapism'. If you are going to say that anything fun is escapism then you should stop referring to this escapism as such a negative thing. You could add computer games, concerts, television, anything, all of them to some degree escapism. But you dont say someone is damaging themselves or 'getting addicted' while they are partaking in such things.
I'd say that anything taken primarily to dull the mind is escapism. Everything you just mentioned (other than maybe concerts) can certainly be used in this way, depending on the person.
Unread 2 May 2004, 16:16   #46
djbass
mmm.. pills

Quote:
If you have a few drinks to summon the courage to ask the bird you've had your eye on for weeks to dance then I'd hardly say it's "escapist" - if anything it's exposing you more to life (whatever that might mean).
Then think of it in this context. What reason is it that prevents you from hitting on the bird in your normal unaltered state? What is it that you think is going to happen that taking a 'confidence booster' is going to help put that aside? That would indicate to me a fear of something, and you are doing it to escape that fear, to push aside whatever blockade it is that would normal prevent you from doing such an action. Remember I was not analysing the effect but the cause.

Neither was I arguing for or against the subject, just answering the question of why?

If you want an argument against though then I would simply say that such drugs are carcinogenic or that this escapism does not fix the problem rather prolongs it.
Unread 2 May 2004, 16:16   #47
Deciduous

FAO Deepthroat I haven't seen any anti drug posts yet

[edit] i dont post fast enough, obviously
Unread 2 May 2004, 16:21   #48
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

with certain drugs (heroin etc) you wont be doing any of your normal things because you simply wont care.

That is real escapism. Also, id say concerts (or at least the kind i would go to) are escapism, you act completely different in a mosh pit to how you would in real life, for obvious reasons. You feel like youre in a different world, if thats not escapism its hard to imagine what is.
Unread 2 May 2004, 16:27   #49
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

im not labelling it as escapism. I dont think drugs are at all actually. And if you are going to take that line, then its very difficult to label taking drugs as escapism. I fail to see the distinction between going to a fantastic rock concert and going to a dance club and taking Es, both have the same effect for me, one is much cheaper though.
Unread 2 May 2004, 16:28   #50
Deciduous

OK, so we've established going about your everyday activity is a means of escaping your everyday activity.