User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 10 Oct 2004, 17:43   #1
The General8
NOT a yuppie....yet

The General8 is infamous around these partsThe General8 is infamous around these parts
Networking through a hub

ok i have windows XP and Windows 98 machines connected up to my hub, and i have my cable modem plugged into the hub as well, now the xp machine (my main one) can connect to the internet fine, but i have no idea how to connect my 98 machine up to use the internet and network with the windows xp machine.

Can somone give me a noobs guide thanks.

PS: i want the 98 machine to be albe to connect to the inernet with all apllications no just IE

Quote:
Originally posted by an anon neg-repper

all your posts are shit. it's like a more accurate turbonegro song
i post on a internet forum!
The General8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Oct 2004, 18:06   #2
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts
Re: Networking through a hub

Are you using a Hub, or a router?? if it's the first, I have no idea how come the windows XP machine if capable of accessing the internet at all. If it's a router, set the win98 machine to use DHCP and it should work just fine

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Oct 2004, 18:31   #3
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light

For this setup (with a hub/switch) your ISP has to give you two different ip's for both computers. Most likely you have to pay for that service.
A router could handle it though.
Unread 10 Oct 2004, 19:10   #4
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Networking through a hub

Hmmm, this sounds tricky, but the important fact is that the xp machine CAN actually connect to the internet.
You should go to TCP/IP network settings on the windows 98 machines and assign them static IPs, like 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.11 for example. Then you should try to enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the XP machine and see how it goes.

You will NOT need to connect to the cable modem by a dial-up connection on the win-98 machines again, it's enough that the XP comp does it.

But that's right, a router could do all that with less complications and far more comfort.
Unread 10 Oct 2004, 19:29   #5
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

Jet, that was what I tought originally. Then I noticed this idiot is using a hub.

Which means that only the windows XP computer can get an IP from his ISP and internet connection sharing is completely impossible.
What he'd need is an extra UTP port (so he has 2, 1 for the modem and 1 for the hub) or a router

I'm still using an ancient gateway computer setup, where a simply linux box has 2 UTP ports, 1 to connect to the modem and 1 to connect to a hub/switch/AP.

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Oct 2004, 22:04   #6
The General8
NOT a yuppie....yet

The General8 is infamous around these partsThe General8 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack
Jet, that was what I tought originally. Then I noticed this idiot is using a hub.

Which means that only the windows XP computer can get an IP from his ISP and internet connection sharing is completely impossible.
What he'd need is an extra UTP port (so he has 2, 1 for the modem and 1 for the hub) or a router

I'm still using an ancient gateway computer setup, where a simply linux box has 2 UTP ports, 1 to connect to the modem and 1 to connect to a hub/switch/AP.
charming

its a 3com isdn modem with a hub(or router not sure witch) built into it, my brother was using it as a hub/router at his office( IE not using the modem part of it) but he said something about me having to trick it into thinking my modem was a pc using a crossover cable or somthing witch just dam confused me o_O

Quote:

Unread 12 Oct 2004, 04:01   #7
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

i am hoping that its not a hub at all

if its not a router at all then only 1 comp will be alowed on line and even then the 2 comps may fight over it making both of them shit. If it isn't a router just buy a 3/4 port router. I it is try this start up sequence. Start will all hard ware off including the computers. Turn the modem on, after it is powerd up turn the router on. After that is up and running turn the comp on. If u have further trouble check the cable to make sure that it is a straigh though and not a cross over/roll over

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Oct 2004, 12:41   #8
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If its a hub then this wont work :

In all probability your ISP will only allow network access via a MAC Address.
Obviously the 'original' computers mac has been registered. However the windows98 machine probably hasnt.

If your 'hub' is infact a router then its possible to tell the router to spoof the 'working' MAC so that the ISP thinks only one pc is connected and that PC is your winxp machine.

Tbh we need the exact name of the product before anyone can really help because it could be one of a number of things.

however it sounds like what ive just said above.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Oct 2004, 13:23   #9
Add

Add will become famous soon enoughAdd will become famous soon enough

chances are if it is a hub it will have an uplink slot - a slot for connecting the hub to a network of other hubs, sounds like you've plugged your cable modem into the uplink, then the XP machine is accessing the internet through that (which does actually work, despite people here saying otherwise), all you need do is run the home networking wizard on the xp machine and tick the box that says i want other computers to connect through this one, then at the end of the process it will ask you if you want to make a disk to setup your other computers, click yes, make the disk and run it on your 98 PC. this should allow you to connect both pc's to the internet at the same time, however the xp machine will always have to be on for the 98 one to connect. this setup is VERY error prone and will more than likely drive you crazy, budget routers now cost under £20 (www.ebuyer.co.uk), and are a worthwhile investment.
Unread 12 Oct 2004, 17:21   #10
The General8
NOT a yuppie....yet

Just looked at the 3com website, there is a very high chance its a router, im at work tho i will make sure when i get home

Quote:

Unread 6 Nov 2004, 02:09   #11
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about

Not sure what i wrote there, and don't care to read it since i were wasted when i wrote it.

If you sure it's a hub that's connected to the machine that's connected to the internet, then i would activate Internet Connection Sharing on the xp machine(as linus told you).

On the pc with win 98, it's important that you atleast have an ip-address between 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.254 and choosen 192.168.0.1 as the default gateway( On Control Panel > Network Connections > local area connection), and you need to have the same dns servers as your internet connection. It's a while since i used win98, but i think it's enough to try the diffenent options on Start > Accessories > Communications if you have problems.

If your other machines are using xp, You just need to choose properties on the dial-up connection you got to internet, and activate Internet Connection Sharing on the advance tab. On the other machines(if they are xp) you'll choose Start-> Accessories > Communications > Network Setup Wizard and choose the dial-up machine as your connection to internet.

If you have problems after that, then on the machine connected to the internet choose: Start > run > cmd and in the command shell and write(You need to be connected to the internet to do this): ipconfig /all and put the address of dns server TCP/IP properties of the Network card that is connected to the hub (most likely it's only called Local Area Connection), and choose the same subnet mask and something like 192.168.0.2 in the ip address (aslong as none of your other pc's got that address.something with 192.168.0.<something between 2-254 should be good enough>, and make sure that the first dns servers ip address in the TCP/IP properties of your Local Area Connection is the same as one of those on the "ipconfig /all" command displays on the machine connected to the internet.

Last edited by Pilatus; 28 Nov 2004 at 05:30.
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote