User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 13 Jun 2003, 10:09   #1
sword

sword is infamous around these partssword is infamous around these partssword is infamous around these parts
Sainsburys Riot, Nine Killed

Surrey riot police have fired shots to disperse hundreds of protesting shoppers in Woking, Surrey, witnesses say. At least nine shoppers and two checkout operators were killed.

Security has now been tightened following Sainsburys decision to cancel its planned "2 for 1" promotion which had been due to start today.

The body of a checkout operator lay sprawled in the street with a bullet wound to her chest. Not far away, a motorbike was on fire, sending thick black smoke into the sky. Bricks, stones and AK-47 bullet casings littered the road.

"We just wanted to complain against the manager because he refused to negotiate with us," one angry shopper told Reuters.

"The manager always tries to get rid of anybody who tries to challenge him," said another, adding that the protest over the cancelled promotion had been urged by the consumers association, Which.

After the shooting stopped, young Sainsburys workers gathered in sidestreets in an uneasy standoff with hundreds of shoppers and riot police. They surged forward, many screaming, to remonstrate with police as an ambulance took the body away.

Police fired a warning shot to keep them back.

Officer Chan Sokhom told Reuters three riot police had been injured during the clash. A Red Cross ambulance worker said he had heard at least 16 police had been injured.
sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jun 2003, 10:21   #2
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
I read this twice looking for something funny.

I didn't find anything.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jun 2003, 10:34   #3
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward

I didn't find anything.
And then you cropped up, and we all pi55ed ourselves
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jun 2003, 10:34   #4
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Erm...

I'm going to Woking in half an hour, and was planning on going to that Sainsbury's to buy my food for the weekend. Seriously.

Unread 13 Jun 2003, 10:49   #5
Tzencath

Tzencath is an unknown quantity at this point
lol
Unread 13 Jun 2003, 10:51   #6
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by CrashTester
And then you cropped up, and we all pi55ed ourselves
.?

Unread 13 Jun 2003, 11:02   #7
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I didn't find anything.
Ditto. Unf.

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jun 2003, 11:04   #8
sword

sword is infamous around these partssword is infamous around these partssword is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mong
Ditto. Unf.

M.
Did you delete my "Planetarion Advice Clinic" thread on PD yesterday?
Unread 13 Jun 2003, 11:56   #9
poshphil
Little Bitch

poshphil is an unknown quantity at this point
I know someone from Woking. I shall be going there in the summer.

Is this supposed to be like a dudley earthquake thing? If so it didn't make much sense and it most definately was teh unfunny.
Unread 13 Jun 2003, 11:58   #10
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by sword
Did you delete my "Planetarion Advice Clinic" thread on PD yesterday?
If he did then fair dues to him for being able to delete threads on PD without being a mod there heh.
Unread 13 Jun 2003, 12:15   #11
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
If he did then fair dues to him for being able to delete threads on PD without being a mod there heh.
Exactly.

Although I did read it in the deleted threads bin. I was wryly amused actually. It was much funnier that THIS THREAD!

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jun 2003, 13:15   #12
sword

Quote:
Originally posted by Mong
Exactly.

Although I did read it in the deleted threads bin. I was wryly amused actually. It was much funnier that THIS THREAD!

M.
Well there you go Mong, delete this thread and give me back my Planetarion Advice Clinic thread, then we can see how it goes?
Unread 13 Jun 2003, 13:16   #13
Radical Edward

Quote:
delete this thread
sounds like a plan

sword: catch teh funneh again, please

Unread 13 Jun 2003, 13:21   #14
sword

Quote:

sword: catch teh funneh again, please
Maybe I'm getting too old for this

Here is the original news article upon which my thread is based, maybe people will find it funnier :eek:

PHNOM PENH (Reuters) - Cambodian police have opened fire to disperse more than 1,000 protesting garment workers in a riot in which one person was killed and several injured, days before a regional security summit in the capital.

A Red Cross ambulance worker on Friday said he had heard at least 16 police had been injured, while a human rights worker said he had seen two wounded civilians.

Security has been tightened in the run-up to the arrival of foreign ministers of more than 20 countries, including the United States, at an Asia-Pacific security meeting on June 18.

Political tensions are also high in the troubled Southeast Asian nation, which holds a general election on July 27. Historically, Cambodian polls have been preceded by civil unrest.

Opposition leader Sam Rainsy has built up a strong political following among the deeply impoverished country`s 200,000 mostly female garment workers who regularly stage protests over pay and working conditions.

Police fired volleys of shots in the air to disperse protesters.

A body lay sprawled in the street with a bullet wound in his chest. His work card, lying on his chest, identified him as Yoeum Ry of the Terratex Knitting and Garment Factory.

One by-stander said protesters had attacked the steel doors of the Terratex clothing factory, which had been dented and daubed with large red letters saying "No Gap" -- a reference to the U.S. clothing brand -- before police moved in.

Not far away, a burning motorbike sent thick black smoke into the sky. Bricks, stones and AK-47 bullet casings littered the road.

"We just wanted to complain against the manager because he refused to negotiate with us," one woman worker said.

STANDOFF

She did not give the name of her factory but there are about 10 garment factories in the area in the south of the city, most of them foreign-owned and employing about 1,000 workers.

"The manager always tries to get rid of anybody who tries to challenge them," said another, adding that the protest over pay had been urged by union representatives.

Cambodia`s 220 garment factories produced some $1.1 billion in exports in 2001, about 77 percent of the country`s total. Most of the clothes go to the United States, to be sold by big name brands such as Nike, Adidas and Gap.

After the shooting stopped, young workers gathered in sidestreets in an uneasy standoff with hundreds of green-helmeted riot police. Around 20 screaming women surged forward to remonstrate with officers as an ambulance took the body away.

Police fired a warning shot to keep them back.

Human rights groups have accused some factories of exploitation of workers but the International Labour Organisation last year reported "encouraging signs of improvement" in conditions.

The violence is an embarrassment for Prime Minister Hun Sen as he prepares to roll out the red carpet at next week`s summit to show his country is finally putting its violent past behind it.

In a statement issued on Friday before the trouble, Human Rights Watch criticised the government, saying it was using nationalist anti-Thai riots in January as an excuse to clamp down on any form of protest in the run-up to elections.

Nobody from the Interior Ministry was immediately available for comment.
Unread 13 Jun 2003, 13:24   #15
Radical Edward

still not funny, though it does make an interesting political point.

Unread 13 Jun 2003, 16:07   #16
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
Sword is always funny
Have a
Unread 13 Jun 2003, 18:17   #17
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
I used to live in Addlestone, near Woking.

Interrrresting!
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jun 2003, 19:54   #18
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:

Signature's too long, shorten please.

Now that's funny.