User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 3 Jun 2003, 19:31   #1
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place
Maths

Doing a stats past paper and I am stuck so any help would be appreciatd. Question is:

P(A) = 0.6, P(A u B) = 0.9, P(B|A) = 0.4

Evaluate:

a) P(A n B)
b) P(B)
c) P(A'|B)

I have had to teach myself the entire module and have the exam in 2 days but have no idea what the P(A|B) means heh.

Last edited by midge5; 3 Jun 2003 at 21:53.
midge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 19:35   #2
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
not done stats for a couple of years and it's slightly different notation to what we used but doesn't one of them mean 'and' and the other is 'or'

?
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 19:36   #3
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
P(A|B) = P(A given B)
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 19:51   #4
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about
Re: Maths

Quote:
Originally posted by midge5
have the exam in 2 days but have no idea what the P(A|B) means heh.
wow me too!

a) don't know

b) don't know

c) don't know

looks like i'm screwed. oh well i know lines of regression
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 19:57   #5
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
I've got a S1 book here but no I am not going to tell you wot the notations and such mean
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 19:59   #6
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by Androme2
I've got a S1 book here but no I am not going to tell you wot the notations and such mean
yeah i have an OCR S1 book, and it's completely ****e. their explanations confuse me more than help explain it to me. when a teacher tells me it's fine, they need to learn how ot write coherently!
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 20:04   #7
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloomers III
yeah i have an OCR S1 book, and it's completely ****e. their explanations confuse me more than help explain it to me. when a teacher tells me it's fine, they need to learn how ot write coherently!
we do Edexcel and follow sets of books written by Heinemann or some group like that - neway, the books are really good compared to the other crap on the market
----------retired-------
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 20:12   #8
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Maths

Quote:
Doing a stats past paper and I am stuck so any help would be appreciatd. Question is:

P(A) = 0.6, P(A u B) = 0.9, P(A|B) = 0.4

Evaluate:

a) P(A n B)
b) P(B)
P(AuB)=P(A)+P(B)-P(AnB)
0.9=0.6+P(B)-P(AnB)
P(AnB)=P(B)-0.3
P(A|B)=P(AnB)/P(B)
0.4=(P(B)-0.3)/P(B)
P(B)*0.4=P(B)-0.3
P(B)*0.6=0.3
P(B)=0.5
P(AnB)=0.2
there might be a quicker way
Quote:

c) P(A'|B)
=1-P(A|B)
=0.6
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 20:13   #9
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Androme2
we do Edexcel and follow sets of books written by Heinemann or some group like that - neway, the books are really good compared to the other crap on the market
Heinemann Modular Mathematsics for Edexcel AS and A-level!
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 20:16   #10
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Queball you just made me feel even worse
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 20:23   #11
Chrism
Governor General

Chrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the rough
I was going to do Maths for A Level

Having seen what others have had to put up with I'm glad I didn't. Physics was bad enough ffs.
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 20:27   #12
OldKal
Sadistic Hypocrit

OldKal is an unknown quantity at this point
hmmm...at one point i knew all that, i passed my A Level in maths..but that was 3 years ago...

the equations look familiar...
OldKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 20:27   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Mathematics is fantastic.
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 20:42   #14
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Jigglypuff is fantastic.
----------retired-------
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 20:45   #15
laney
Queen of England

laney has a spectacular aura aboutlaney has a spectacular aura aboutlaney has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by Chrism
I was going to do Maths for A Level

Having seen what others have had to put up with I'm glad I didn't. Physics was bad enough ffs.
physics is awful
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 20:52   #16
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by laney
physics is awful
That's a really bad typo of 'great' you've got there.
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 21:00   #17
OldKal
Sadistic Hypocrit

physics is great..i remember a lot more of my physics stuff, but that's as i did some physics in my 1st year of my degree too
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 21:29   #18
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
to be fair, i enjoyed maths + physics at a-level, i just couldnt do either.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 21:30   #19
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend
i'm just about to do my maths GCSE paper 1. then i'm doing A level Maths, Physics, Computing and maybe Electronics at college. looking at that maths stuff makes me question my choices
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 21:35   #20
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: Re: Maths

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
P(AuB)=P(A)+P(B)-P(AnB)
0.9=0.6+P(B)-P(AnB)
P(AnB)=P(B)-0.3
P(A|B)=P(AnB)/P(B)
0.4=(P(B)-0.3)/P(B)
P(B)*0.4=P(B)-0.3
P(B)*0.6=0.3
P(B)=0.5
P(AnB)=0.2
there might be a quicker way

=1-P(A|B)
=0.6
hmm different to what i had :/

P(A n B) = P(B|A).P(A)
= 0.4 X 0.6
=0.24

then
P(A u B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A n B)
0.9 = 0.6 + PB - 0.24
PB = 0.54

c) P(A|B) = P(A n B) / P(B)
= 0.24/0.54 = 4/9

Then P(A'|B) = 1 - P(A|B) = 5/9
midge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 21:37   #21
poshphil
Little Bitch

poshphil is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by NEWSBOT3

Sounds like me.

Except I decided to do Astrophysics at uni, like a fool.
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 22:01   #22
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Re: Re: Re: Maths

Quote:
hmm different to what i had :/

P(A n B) = P(B|A).P(A)
= 0.4 X 0.6
=0.24

then
P(A u B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A n B)
0.9 = 0.6 + PB - 0.24
PB = 0.54

c) P(A|B) = P(A n B) / P(B)
= 0.24/0.54 = 4/9

Then P(A'|B) = 1 - P(A|B) = 5/9
You're right.
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 22:14   #23
Chrism
Governor General

Chrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by NEWSBOT3
Physics was ok, I was just really crap at it.
Unread 4 Jun 2003, 11:22   #24
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
physics is awful
No, physics is great.
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2003, 11:30   #25
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
physics rocked at a level, pity i spent two years in th pub really, but there you go :/
Unread 4 Jun 2003, 11:39   #26
Dr Wakka

Dr Wakka is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
physics is awful
Where would we be without it? Be fun though to skip gravity once in a while.
Unread 4 Jun 2003, 11:44   #27
ELeeming
Cultured

ELeeming is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
God Told Me To Do It
Just Another Victim Of The Ambient Morality
Synchronise Your Dogmas
My site (well, kind of. Actually not at all, but it has my name on it in several places)
Aargh! Killer Bee attack! (\o/) (/o\) (\o/) (/o\)
ELeeming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2003, 19:43   #28
OldKal
Sadistic Hypocrit

Physics and Maths at A level...so i decided to do politics at uni :-D
Unread 4 Jun 2003, 20:09   #29
JamMak
Cynical Optimist

JamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud of
Maths and Physics are
Spanish is teh ghey tho... But thats all finished as of today!

I have 7 more exams, some people have finished, hoh well.

And MEI Maths
JamMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2003, 20:20   #30
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
i did physics and maths at A level... and i was FANTASTIC.

but i just didnt care... hence no homework, and only about 33% attendance... along with a surly attitude

oh bum