User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 24 May 2003, 20:26   #1
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
PressPlay.com

Now, this whole thing about 'not stealing but buying' music online intrigued me. Enough to go look at actually purchasing some music instead of ripping it off (basically because the Uni doesn't let any file sharing proggies run through the proxy).

So I looked at PressPlay.

These people want $17.95 a month to let me download ten songs in that month which I can burn to CD or 'have converted' to a non-MS file format.

That's about £13.

For TEN ****ING SONGS.

And I don't get a shiny CD or jewel case out of it, things I'll incidentally have to buy if I want 'the effect'.

I CAN BUY A ****ING ALBUM FOR LESS THAN THAT YOU DUMB ****S.

Explain, someone, how this is going to make people buy music legally instead of downloading? Please.
Unread 24 May 2003, 20:30   #2
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Pressplay is not good.

Apple's iTunes is coming to PC, this is nearly good.

If Apple drop the price once they make Windows market penbetration it will be good
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2003, 20:32   #3
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I must admit I still buy music in cd form from shops. Possibly because my connection can only get one song every 20 minutes, but still!
Unread 24 May 2003, 20:33   #4
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
But a lot of these services want me to lease music off them, and keep up a subscription otherwise my license is revoked.

This benefits me in what way?

If I can't have it in mp3 format with no DRM bollocks, it can't be good.

Edit:
Or an enhanced mp3 that doesn't rely on MS software to read it that I have a permanent license for, 'whatever'
Unread 24 May 2003, 20:39   #5
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo
But a lot of these services want me to lease music off them, and keep up a subscription otherwise my license is revoked.

This benefits me in what way?

If I can't have it in mp3 format with no DRM bollocks, it can't be good.

Edit:
Or an enhanced mp3 that doesn't rely on MS software to read it that I have a permanent license for, 'whatever'
See my first post in this thread.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 24 May 2003, 20:42   #6
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle29uk
See my first post in this thread.
It's going to be 'not in the near future' as I recall.

For a start it's US only at the moment, isn't it? So assuming a Windows version appears, it'll be US only for a good time.

Plus it looks like 'it's mp3 with license management' but still proprietary, especially the 'you can play on up to 3 macs' part.
Unread 24 May 2003, 20:57   #7
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Plus it looks like 'it's mp3 with license management' but still proprietary, especially the 'you can play on up to 3 macs' part.
Quote:
iTunes 4
All your music. All in one place.

The songs you buy are automatically saved in your iTunes library, where you can easily manage your entire music collection. Create custom playlists, burn CDs — even transfer songs to your iPods and up to three Macs. It’s your music, and you can listen to it however and wherever you want to.
Yes it has DRM but only to stop you distributing the files round the world. Assuming you have less than 3 computers then you don't have a playback problem (if you have more you should probably be using one as a media server anyway).

You CAN burn it to CD and as the source file (ACC/MPEG 4) is much better quality than OGG/MP3 it's not a bad deal.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 24 May 2003, 21:34   #8
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle29uk
You CAN burn it to CD and as the source file (ACC/MPEG 4) is much better quality than OGG/MP3 it's not a bad deal.
I don't think many people can hear the difference between mp3's at a decent bitrate and CD's, so why bother with MP4?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2003, 21:39   #9
poshphil
Little Bitch

poshphil is an unknown quantity at this point
Because I'm sure some people will be arsey about it.

Anyway there is no point in the copy protection, it's stupidly simple to get around.
Unread 24 May 2003, 21:43   #10
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
ps.

One reason is that you could get 10 tracks of your choice, not, say, 4 you wanted and 11 you didn't on an album.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2003, 23:11   #11
Sally
Yo' Bitch

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
It's going to be 'not in the near future' as I recall.

For a start it's US only at the moment, isn't it? So assuming a Windows version appears, it'll be US only for a good time.

Actually, Apple's Quicktime software lets you convert any of their protected tracks into a normal MP3 file, with no copy protection at all. I think they only added the protection so that the record industry would be happy.

Sally