User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 12 May 2003, 13:17   #1
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
overclocking

why in gods name do people bother to overclock a for example 2.2 gigahertz pc ?

I've seen people worrying about choosing between cpu/mobo's as they where worried about if it's overclockable or not

wtf? I run most new games perfectly with a p3 + gforce fs
Unread 12 May 2003, 13:27   #2
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Why do people chip their cars? Or use 'Optimax' petrol?

Same thing.
Unread 12 May 2003, 13:30   #3
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
I am getting old
Unread 12 May 2003, 13:42   #4
[GAP]Obiwan

[GAP]Obiwan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo

Same thing.
to compensate for there small sexual organs?
[ICE]DC
[Deus]
[Tok'ra]
[Ostraka]
www.tit.aresexy.com
[GAP]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 May 2003, 13:48   #5
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
The things that matter to me is music

Hence the fact i have a audigy 2 and logitech 5.1 speakers

Music = good

i rarely play any games as most that come out are pretty much crap, i play things that are "sim" like

best game ever though was transport tycoon deluxe

no-one argue etc
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 May 2003, 13:53   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
No, it's Civ 2.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 May 2003, 14:01   #7
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by [GAP]Obiwan
to compensate for there small sexual organs?
Quite possibly.

I ain't overclocked anything suprisingly, it's a fairly pointless exercise.

It's like watercooling; why?
Unread 12 May 2003, 14:07   #8
Fifth_teletubbie
Commander etc

Fifth_teletubbie is an unknown quantity at this point
it's not the destination, it's the journey.

Some people like tinkering with mechanical stuff just for the sake of it, probably since it is something you can simply apply your problem-solving ability to and then when it's done it's really done.

An escape from the more complex problems of everyday life if you will.

For me, it's cars. For others it appears to be PCs.

Ostraka: It's a Social Club with guns (and K-Y)
Fifth_teletubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 May 2003, 14:16   #9
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Quite possibly.

I ain't overclocked anything suprisingly, it's a fairly pointless exercise.

It's like watercooling; why?
to get components running faster than it is and getting more for your money.

water cooling is for the quietness and ace cooling.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 May 2003, 14:17   #10
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by Luckeh!!!!
to get components running faster than it is and getting more for your money.

water cooling is for the quietness and ace cooling.
The amount of gain on average is 'not significant'. Especially given the effort of doing it, the expense of cooling, buying higher-quality ram, the increased likelihood of instability, higher power consumption.

If you're doing it because you enjoy the challenge, fine. There is very little excuse otherwise.
Unread 12 May 2003, 14:19   #11
poshphil
Little Bitch

poshphil is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Starbucks
The things that matter to me is music

hahhahahaahahaha ha ha hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Unread 12 May 2003, 14:22   #12
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
the increase of performance is quite signifcant IMO.

AXP1700+ @ 200Mhz FSB is a fair gain of performance. CPU price is very cheap, PC3200 TwinMOS is cheap aswell (only because ram prices are cheap right now though)

You'd need a mobo to do 200Mhz FSB (for AMD) though, NF2 rev2 aren't that expensive either.

but OCing is usually reserved for those who are computer hardware enthusiasts.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 May 2003, 14:39   #13
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

So was Brunnel but he didn't win dammit.

No friggin' justice.
Unread 12 May 2003, 16:17   #14
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
If you're doing it because you enjoy the challenge, fine. There is very little excuse otherwise.
Sound production. Water-cooling is very quiet, which is a good thing if you use your PC as a box to watch movies on etc.
Unread 12 May 2003, 16:53   #15
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:

Same thing.

Chipping : Changes the engine management settings so you get a performance boost. == SPEED!!

Optimax : Increases acceleration and is better for the engine.

I regularly used to put optimax in my car because it was noticably faster 0-60 and when overtaking acceleration is 'necessary'.
Even if you want to go down the "its safer to overtake with poewr than it is without"
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 May 2003, 18:29   #16
music lover

Quote:
Originally posted by Starbucks
The things that matter to me is playing games

Music = good - especially game soundtracks

i mainly play any games as most that come out are top notch, i play things that are "sim" like, as i do not have a life and because my PC sound set-up is a bit crap - i wish i had an m-audio audiophile soundcard and a set of behringer truth's - then i would know 'real' sound reproduction!

best game ever though was transport tycoon deluxe - it kinda reminded me of myself, BORING and a bit lacking of knowledge in what i sprout on about.

no-one argue etc

i totally agree with you!
Unread 12 May 2003, 19:22   #17
poshphil
Little Bitch

poshphil is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by music lover
i totally agree with you!
I know where you came from........