User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 4 Apr 2003, 23:39   #1
Matrim
fascinated by bridges!

Matrim is an unknown quantity at this point
When I learned not to trust the Internet

I couldn't have been more than 14 back then. Just gotten the fantastically exciting Internet installed in our humble home.

And so in my youth, I followed my friends and other contemporaries out into the world of IRC.

I remember, we had a channel for our school on EFnet. And there was also a channel for this other school that we didn't like much, they were jerks.

Anyway, what we tried to do was to do a 'takeover' on their channel, and they tried to do a takeover on our channel. This was a situation that lasted a while. Sometime along, this other school got help from an 'older boy'. He had his own bot up and running, and that was like way up there. I remember his IRC handle to this day: 'Mushroom'

I arrived pretty early in this 'war', and wasn't quite aware of what was going on. Anyway, I was good friends with all the regulars in my school's channel, and was granted the 'op' out of good will.

After not long, I sit around in the channel, awed by the Internet, and this here fellow 'Mushroom' comes along.

He says something like this "bla bla bla." "Bla, bla, bla." "Can I have op :)"

I think: gee, what a cute smile. And so I grant him the op. At first, nothing happens. I leave the channel and go back to the probably stupid things I did when I was 14 in real life.

When I come back sometime later, there is only one op in the channel. It was 'Mushroom'. I confessed to my friends that it was I who was the evil betrayer of light and honour, and they became cross with me, and I cried [I added this right now for the drama effect].

After I had wiped my tears, I realized: even if people on the Internet smile and seem like nice guys and offer you nice things, they have bad intentions and want to fool you in some manner or another.

Ever since that day, I've become more and more weary of what horrors the Internet can bring, but that incident was the big trigger.

Weird how such a petty thing could stick in my memory so clearly for so long.

Okay, that was my story, hope you learned something.

Matrim
Unread 4 Apr 2003, 23:43   #2
poshphil
Little Bitch

poshphil is an unknown quantity at this point
Bless.

We once took over MSN's pitwalk channel back in the day. I just went in with the nick of one of the ops in there and said it didnt seem to be hosting me right, and could they do it for me. 30 seconds later me and my mates were in charge of the channel and locked it. Of course it unlocked when we left but still.

Looking back though it was pretty silly.

Soon after that you had to register to join the channels though

We liked to think it was because of us. I doubt it was though.
Unread 4 Apr 2003, 23:44   #3
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Will you touch the roll of mint in my pocket? :)
Unread 4 Apr 2003, 23:48   #4
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
No-one's betrayed you in real life yet, Matrim?
Unread 4 Apr 2003, 23:49   #5
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
at the time he was wearing a :e_chick: costume
Unread 4 Apr 2003, 23:51   #6
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by poshphil
Bless.

We once took over MSN's pitwalk channel back in the day. I just went in with the nick of one of the ops in there and said it didnt seem to be hosting me right, and could they do it for me. 30 seconds later me and my mates were in charge of the channel and locked it. Of course it unlocked when we left but still.

Looking back though it was pretty silly.

Soon after that you had to register to join the channels though

We liked to think it was because of us. I doubt it was though.
!!!

I used to op in Pitwalk you little monkey you. I obviously wasnt there of course at the time

Vaio
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Apr 2003, 23:53   #7
poshphil
Little Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaio
!!!

I used to op in Pitwalk you little monkey you. I obviously wasnt there of course at the time

Vaio
depends how long ago it was. And i didnt call myself poshphil.
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 00:05   #8
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
The internett is
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 00:06   #9
poshphil
Little Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaio
!!!

Vaio

oooh i just remembered, I pretended to be Foxy_Lady.

hehe
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 00:35   #10
Matrim
fascinated by bridges!

Matrim is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by queball
No-one's betrayed you in real life yet, Matrim?
Nothing that bad anyway.

I hope that I won't have a similar experience in real life and turn all cynical and untrusting.

Matrim
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 11:42   #11
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by poshphil
oooh i just remembered, I pretended to be Foxy_Lady.

hehe
/giggle

Vaio
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Apr 2003, 13:55   #12
Chrism
Governor General

Chrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the rough
What the hell is 'Pitwalk' when it's at home?