User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 7 Jan 2008, 15:43   #51
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Round 25 MH Announcement

Your point isn't hard to understand at all, it's just stupid.

Why should people too shit to compete on their own be artificially propped up? Why should everyone have to play the game the very specific way you want to play it? You may have noticed that most other mmorpgs try to make their product as open as possible. This is because they want their customers to be able to play any damn way they please, which is fair enough considering they are paying for the priviledge. So, why don't you play your game, let everyone else play theirs and if you really, really want to win make sure you have the best plan and do whatever it takes. If you don't do that then maybe, just maybe, you don't deserve it.
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 15:51   #52
Assassin
PA Ancient

Assassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
Your point isn't hard to understand at all, it's just stupid.

Why should people too shit to compete on their own be artificially propped up? Why should everyone have to play the game the very specific way you want to play it? You may have noticed that most other mmorpgs try to make their product as open as possible. This is because they want their customers to be able to play any damn way they please, which is fair enough considering they are paying for the priviledge. So, why don't you play your game, let everyone else play theirs and if you really, really want to win make sure you have the best plan and do whatever it takes. If you don't do that then maybe, just maybe, you don't deserve it.
Actually his point isnt stupid it is quite justified. You guys for this move still have not answered the question as to how is this rule been removed going to improve the growth of the PA community?

Is this going to stop stagnation in rounds? Of course not. I dont agree with alliance limits at all. I think they should be removed, but of course we are not playing the same game we once were where we had over 40k players playing this game. The reason why you have to play the game in a specific way now is becuase you have no choice. You have a playerbase of less then 2k players. with the support planet rule not in place and of course such a small community of players left there will be a time where we only get 2 alliances battling it out which Willzzz did try to explain. The only reason why people such as yourself would argue this case to me is obvious, becuase you have the influence to attract these people to play one round with idle planets 3 fleeting for nothing.

You might want to play the game how ever you wish to as you have of course payed for the privlage, but with a playerbase as low as it has ever been do you want to make this worse by stagnating the rounds even further by allowing smaller alliances to just die off? No need for alliance rankings soon, as they wont matter. Origonaly of course alliances didnt exist in PA, and soon the playerbase will be that small they wont exist again. It seems to me some players here are putting their own selfish needs before the game.

Ever been attacked by a p3nguin? You get left a bit black and white!

p3nguin Founder
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 16:03   #53
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin
Actually his point isnt stupid it is quite justified. You guys for this move still have not answered the question as to how is this rule been removed going to improve the growth of the PA community?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
I think what Willzzz posts about the alliances asking members to come back to have freeplanets(supportplanets) this round.
Extra planets is growth? Also, never in the history of PA has there been any evidence of alliance size influencing the growth of the game or the level of enjoyment experienced by the players.

Imo it's far more important to make PaTeam realise they have to focus on creating interesting paths/playstyles to victory. The more different playstyles PA can accomodate, the bigger the chance new players will join and stick around. Once they do, alliances will form on their own, don't limit communities fs . Focussing on keeping all those limits "for the good of the game", will just keep the game in it's isolation without ever becoming interesting again.
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 16:08   #54
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

First off, I have no interest now, nor have I ever had, in convincing people to play just to defend me or anyone else. I think it's pretty sad to be honest but I have little interest in dictating to other people how they should play.

Secondly, what evidence do you have to tie the support planet rule, implemented or otherwise, to the declining playerbase? If they are related then the trend would seem to indicate that the more regulations have been introduced the less people have played. Personally I don't think the things are related anyway, PA has simply fallen behind the other browser based games that offer simple gui's to make them more accessible. This coupled with zero advertising means that the player pool simply isn't refreshed as fast as it is depleted.

To reiterate my point in simpler terms, it really isn't the implemation of a complex and unnecessary rule that stops new people from playing. They wouldn't even be aware it existed in the first place. In reality it is a more open and accessible game that will attract people because it can greater accomodate for a wider range of styles, activity levels, etc. That and a simple graphical interface to allow beginers to better visualise and identify with their planet. Like the other games with this feature it could be turned off to accomodate advanced players.

edit: Beaten by Wandows
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 16:13   #55
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willzzz
Why would a player that is dedicated to the game that he/she has played since the beggining want to continue after been destroyed by a bunch of freebie planets 3 fleeting who have never played PA before other then convinced to play this round to help out friends/an alliance to victory? As i Certainly wouldnt want to continue playing if this is the way you would want to attract players back to this game. As i said above how does that benefit and help the community grow if these players have no intention of playing this game more then the one round other then to help friends to victory? They are not playing the game, they are not playing for their pride or intention to win. Instead they are signing up inactive planets and 3 fleeting to benefit somone else. This will therefore drive away the players that have been in this game since the beggining. The players that signup every round hoping for somthing to finally improve. The community of PA. Now me and kargool have rowed quite a bit in the past, but i still class him as a dedicated member of the PA community. As i do a lot of people still around which love this game.
How are they not playing the game? They have a planet, they log in, they make constructions, do research, send out fleets and are part of the community. The only point you could argue against in this list is the last, but if they're not part of the community they don't know where to send the fleets, so they clearly must be. They may not idle in #planetarion, but then plenty of people who "play for real" (I hate this expression) don't either. Are they not part of the community?

(Not to mention the huge number of people that are already playing the game just because their friends are playing it. It's probably the most prevalent reason people still play.)

Quote:
Point is i would rather be roided by another player i know is playing the game to be part of the actual community and playing for the reasons i am, then an inactive idiot brought in just to abuse the alliance limit for one round.
And how exactly would you know the difference?

Quote:
And an alliance would have to actually be able to have 90 members in the first place for them to not be able to 'keep them' as you put it. And that is what i am going on about here. Please understand this statement. Keeping them isnt the problem, gaining players when they will always run to the bigger/winning alliance will cause problems with this rule removed. How hard is that to understand?
People don't always run to the winning alliance. And this is why I'm right:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mz
[W]hat better incentive for a HC to get more people in the game than the fact that his alliance is losing the round because the opponent has more? In this case, supply creates demand. Less places in the few alliances means less people can play in a decent one means less people play. (...) Alliances will want to recruit as many people as they can handle, simply because more people = more score = better chance of winning.
If an alliance is incapable of recruiting people, then they're lacking in a vital aspect of the game. If they can compensate that in another way (higher activity, higher quality members, better politics) then good for them. If not, they apparently don't want to win.

P.S.
Yeah, what Achi said. Also, I'm scanning next round.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 7 Jan 2008 at 16:40.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 16:28   #56
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

This is a rather long thread for such a small change in the rules, but it does have a big impact!

I'd guess this only really started to become a problem when free accounts were improved with ETA restrictions removed. It's far easier to convince a friend who doesn't usually play into creating a free account, it doesn't cost them anything apart from a bit of time. This friend can easily defend with all this fleets out of galaxy and out of alliance and won't be much of a target for the alliance or planet he's defending.

I'll suggest one thing which might help a little bit. Prevent free planets from defending out of galaxy/alliance. Add a restriction so that free planets are limited in who they defend but paid planets can defend anyone.

At least this way if people want to use the tactic of support planets then they'll have to pay for the round, instead of relying on it being free.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 16:36   #57
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper

I'll suggest one thing which might help a little bit. Prevent free planets from defending out of galaxy/alliance. Add a restriction so that free planets are limited in who they defend but paid planets can defend anyone.

At least this way if people want to use the tactic of support planets then they'll have to pay for the round, instead of relying on it being free.
Interesting, and seems to be a nice partial solution
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 16:39   #58
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's the exact same thing as not removing the support planet rule at all.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 16:48   #59
booji
a bucket

booji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
no its not, they can still attack with another alliance to help cover targets, and defend any alliance members in gal
booji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 16:49   #60
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Like I said, exactly the same thing as not removing the support planet rule at all.
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 16:50   #61
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Quote:
It's not meant as a perfect solution to the support planet rule. It just forces people who want to bend the rules as much as possible (which is what the support planet rule prevented) to cough up some cash if they want to participate in such a thing.

If a player or alliance convinces a few friends to join then great, but they'll have to pay for it.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 16:58   #62
Assassin
PA Ancient

Assassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandows
Extra planets is growth? Also, never in the history of PA has there been any evidence of alliance size influencing the growth of the game or the level of enjoyment experienced by the players.

Imo it's far more important to make PaTeam realise they have to focus on creating interesting paths/playstyles to victory. The more different playstyles PA can accomodate, the bigger the chance new players will join and stick around. Once they do, alliances will form on their own, don't limit communities fs . Focussing on keeping all those limits "for the good of the game", will just keep the game in it's isolation without ever becoming interesting again.
Extra planets to come and play for ONE ROUND with maybe only one ship class built for the sole purpose of helping an alliance out of tag does NOT class as community growth. And i think to be honest you can ask any player who once played when the alliances such as xanadu, VtS, Fury, Wolfpack, NoS and even ViruS played within the same rounds can say it was a lot more exicting and much more interesting to play with the wars and pollitics then it is to see the likes of Newdawn and Conspiracy battle it out for first. (those are just 2 examples from last round but my point is more alliances gunning for first place is more fun thats just simple fact) Or of course even when 1up battled it out with Exi for first. I think the point here is, the restructions are there to stop the existing community from running to a bigger alliance. If you cant recuit players into the game from outside the existing playerbase, where would bigger alliances such as Conspiracy, Newdawn, Urwins poach from? Smaller allinces. Therefore it would stagnate the round with just 2-3 alliances battling it out for first instead of maybe 5-6.

Your never going to improve this game with the way its been handled to be honest. And we will never return to the old days, But i would like to see a bit more excitment then the rounds i have saw recently.

p3nguin Founder
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 17:01   #63
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
It's not meant as a perfect solution to the support planet rule. It just forces people who want to bend the rules as much as possible (which is what the support planet rule prevented) to cough up some cash if they want to participate in such a thing.

If a player or alliance convinces a few friends to join then great, but they'll have to pay for it.
Oh right, missed the "only for free planets" part. Sorry.
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 17:33   #64
Recluse

Recluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge
I think people having to pay would have had just a TINY impact on the number going down. This round, I predict, will be fantastically crap. Tempted to sign up just to join in the merryment!
Sorry, I should have said "Partaining to this situation" I have long said that P2P was the first of 2 major mass exudus out of PA. The second was, ofc, when all this stuff (alliance limits, stupid rules) started up. I appologize for not clarifying.

Quote:
Im sorry but what? The reason why the support planet rule was implemented was becuase people were abusing the alliance limit. Getting planets to signup for the sole puprose of just building one ship and overcoming the eta bonus you get in tag. How is that not an unfair advantage?
As I recall, 1 alliance thought of doing this that first round. Therin lies your problem. 1 Alliance had the ingenuity to think of it and implement it, while the rest did not. It is not an unfair advantage, it is a strategy. An unfair advantage is something that can not be done by anyone else. This, however, could have been done by every alliance playing that round (and actually that would have been funny) but they did not. In fact, if all alliances had done it, we probably wouldn't even have HAD the support planet rule.

Quote:
So far i have recieved 2 emails from 2 alliances which usally end in the top 5 (they must have my email still on their listings) Asking all members who were a member of them in the past to return, as a free planet 3 fleeting for xp to help them as the support planet rule has been removed.
Thank you for proving to those reading this discussion that all, not just 1, alliance can utilize this. You've now made my argument even more valid. You have also shown that there will now be more people called back to play.

Quote:
The whole puprose of the alliance limits are there to make it more fun in the long run.
Fun for whom? For you? For me? Or for the newb next door who just joined and has nfi what they are doing? In any other online game I have played, rules were not put in place to create fun, they were designed to create fairness. The creation of fun lies in the players alone. As someone else pointed out, some of the most popular and fun multiplayer games have the most open limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin
2 answers. 1) i never said it would improve the community, I said it would make the current people happier, and it *could* bring back people that left when this was created (and if you read Willzzz post, you'll see that this is what appears might happen). 2) No rule changes, good or bad, will ever cause community growth, that is where advertising, etc comes in. I believe this question could easily be turned on to your side of the argument, with a kicker; How would this rule staying in place improve the growth of the community, when statistics prove that since it's creation the population of the community has dropped continually round after round? Now who's not making sense?

Quote:
Prevent free planets from defending out of galaxy/alliance.
Going along with the other restrictions on free planets, yes, you could say this is a partial solution. The problem still exists tho that you are restricting a players choices in how they play. Also, this is still keeping p2p in effect, which is what most people want gone anyway. Otherwise, it's a partial solution.

Saver of Sad

Supreme Commander of The Spider Colony
Recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 18:51   #65
booji
a bucket

booji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recluse
Going along with the other restrictions on free planets, yes, you could say this is a partial solution. The problem still exists tho that you are restricting a players choices in how they play. Also, this is still keeping p2p in effect, which is what most people want gone anyway. Otherwise, it's a partial solution.
it seems to me that the whole point (from Jolt's view) of having paying and free planets would be to get more ppl paying by imposing restrictions on free planets so this restrictions seems like an obvious extra one
booji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 19:06   #66
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

making free planets only capable of defending in-gal or in-alliance solves the problem of free ( and thus numerous ) support planets for defending, but it wont help against support planets being used as flak, or to draw defence away ahead of a main strike
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 20:49   #67
Recluse

Recluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to all

Exactly, thus why it's only a partial solution. Than you don't have people whining about planets only building def and never roiding, instead you have them whining about the planets only building attacks and roiding. Can't please em, can ya? :P

Saver of Sad

Unread 7 Jan 2008, 21:00   #68
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recluse
Exactly, thus why it's only a partial solution. Than you don't have people whining about planets only building def and never roiding, instead you have them whining about the planets only building attacks and roiding. Can't please em, can ya? :P
sure you can, by leaving the rule in place you can act against both groups

as an aside ( and after reading kargools rant in #alliances that was linked to in #planetarion ) - I would be interested in finding out the names of those in pateam who voted for the rules removal this round.
I've already got a reasonable idea who it might have been, but its nice to have ones suspicions confirmed
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 21:40   #69
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless
Instead of not enforcing the rule, alliance limits should simply have been removed. That would have had almost the same effect as not enforcing the support planet rule (i.e. not enforcing alliance limits).
Completely agree. Doing one without the other is completely nonsensical.
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 21:45   #70
furball

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Explain to me what's so much worse about losing fleet to an ooa defwhore (relative to losing it to a "normal" player) that would drive people away.
That depends on your perception of the alliance limits. If you view them simply as 'tag limits' (i.e. an alliance isn't allowed to have more than X players in its formal PA tag) then the support planet rule shouldn't exist since OOA play is completely legitimate.

However, I've always preferred the view of the alliance limits as exactly that - 'alliance limits'. The alliance rankings are there to show which alliance is the strongest, and the alliance rankings are based on the contents of the tag. With that as a basic principle, it therefore follows that an alliance should not possess strength not contained within the tag. Rules are therefore needed to ensure that alliances do not attempt to evade the limits - hence the existence of the support planet rule.
Unread 7 Jan 2008, 22:49   #71
Recluse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
sure you can, by leaving the rule in place you can act against both groups

as an aside ( and after reading kargools rant in #alliances that was linked to in #planetarion ) - I would be interested in finding out the names of those in pateam who voted for the rules removal this round.
I've already got a reasonable idea who it might have been, but its nice to have ones suspicions confirmed
except that the rule is completely nonsensical and that it's inception was a huge mistake to begin with. And those groups that you satisfy with this will always find something else to whine about (next they'll say that recruiting people after tick 200 is disadvantageous to some, so it should be disallowed) lol.

Saver of Sad

Unread 8 Jan 2008, 00:47   #72
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

What really gets me is the multihunters cowardly attempt at not even trying to put ahead their argument on this thread when they know its so incredibly flawed as it is.

They know its a shit decision, especially after reading all their arguments for it. Which essentially boils down to, that if someone WANTS to play a 140roids 60k viper support planet for an alliance outside tag they should be allowed to.

I'll release the rest of the discussion in #alliances where Fiery gives her reasoning out to the public.

She claims to have made the decision alone, even without consulting with the other multihunters, Appocomaster, Cin and whomever else is in charge of the game.

But hey, as long as you have the power, why not abuse it eh?
Unread 8 Jan 2008, 01:08   #73
Recluse

well, considering that her previous response to my posts were "If you want it, it won't get done, if I want it, it will get done" what do you expect?

It's still a step in the right direction tho :P

Saver of Sad

Unread 8 Jan 2008, 01:23   #74
furball

Quote:
What really gets me is the multihunters cowardly attempt at not even trying to put ahead their argument on this thread when they know its so incredibly flawed as it is.
To be honest, it's patently obvious that no matter what she says, you will attack her as much as you can in a manner bordering on abuse. You have a track record for doing so. There's no reason why anyone should have to tolerate that - whether they're a member of PA Team or not.

Quote:
She claims to have made the decision alone, even without consulting with the other multihunters, Appocomaster, Cin and whomever else is in charge of the game.

But hey, as long as you have the power, why not abuse it eh?
To be fair to Fiery, there's no requirement for her to do any of those things. She is head of the MH Team and as such, all multihunting decisions go through her. You may disagree with her decision but it's hardly as if she's acted outside of her authority.
Unread 8 Jan 2008, 02:16   #75
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
To be honest, it's patently obvious that no matter what she says, you will attack her as much as you can in a manner bordering on abuse. You have a track record for doing so. There's no reason why anyone should have to tolerate that - whether they're a member of PA Team or not.

To be fair to Fiery, there's no requirement for her to do any of those things. She is head of the MH Team and as such, all multihunting decisions go through her. You may disagree with her decision but it's hardly as if she's acted outside of her authority.
When you put it into perspective you may actually find why is so amusingly wrong to do it the way she did. She decided to remove a rule, while after that she had decided to do so, the PA team went and lowered the alliance limits, which enhances the problems with support planets even more. So when these two things happened at the same time (which im pretty sure wouldn't have if someone had been told about the almighty decision the MH did) it actually became a double whammer of an issue.

Now she is well within her rights to do so, I don't disagree on that, but the fact that she did not even consult anyone in any alliances, and just rocked up to this decision, and are now even refusing to tell us if she actually discussed it with anybody just shows how little respect that is in terms of both understanding the finer mechanics of the game, which she clearly shows she doesn't. Someone sane would have actually discussed it with the people it affects before pushing it down over our ears. I've allready counted 10 people that wont play this round because of her decision, and I've had talks with several more that wont pay for the round because of what she has done.

For every action, there is a reaction.

Now if you got a problem with the way I argue my issues, fine, I tend to say whatever I feel like needs to be said, and if I think someone is totally wrong I will say, maybe someone will get insulted by the way I word myself, but at least im being honest about it instead of lying straight into someones face.
Unread 8 Jan 2008, 09:57   #76
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Now she is well within her rights to do so, I don't disagree on that, but the fact that she did not even consult anyone in any alliances, and just rocked up to this decision, and are now even refusing to tell us if she actually discussed it with anybody just shows how little respect that is in terms of both understanding the finer mechanics of the game, which she clearly shows she doesn't. Someone sane would have actually discussed it with the people it affects before pushing it down over our ears. I've allready counted 10 people that wont play this round because of her decision, and I've had talks with several more that wont pay for the round because of what she has done.
She has in fact spoken to people, I know of at least 2 who mentioned it. As for a lack of understanding of the finer mechanics of the game, I could say the same about you (and the other people that argue for the support rule), making it a useless argument.
Unread 8 Jan 2008, 18:31   #77
ArcChas
General (Adjective Army)

ArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud of

My concerns are these:

The support planet rule and the alliance limits are entirely dependant on each other. It really doesn't make any difference whether or not you agree with them.

Reducing the alliance limit to 60 for this round means (or should have meant) that the larger alliances lose 10 players each. (My personal disagreement with this reduction is already on record but let's leave that aside for now).

I'm sure that the intention was that these "homeless" players should now be helping to fill up spaces in the smaller alliances - or forming new alliances of their own. (I doubt that the "rulemakers" actually considered the possibility that many of them may just decide to quit PA altogether).

However, not enforcing the support planet rule allows for a complete reversal of these potential outcomes. Alliances now have the option of not only keeping the 10 players (OOT) but also of recruiting players for whom they had no room previously (possibly players that they had to "lose" due to previous alliance limits) AND to encourage "friends and relatives" to sign up free accounts to add to the OOT support.

The result of this has already started to show itself. 2 players have already withdrawn their (unsolicited) applications to Vengeance, We wouldn't have had room for them anyway - but I wonder what made them change their minds.

So, we'll have two kinds of alliance this round. Those (like Vengeance) who will play by the spirit of the rules and have all their members (including scanners) in tag - and those who are prepared to play by the letter of the rules (and actually ignore the rules that aren't being enforced) who will be able to call upon a much larger number of fleets.

I wonder which type will win?
Knights of the Green Shield R99 | Look Out of The Window R100 | Most of All R102
Hard of Hearing (2:7:1) R103 | The Lateness of Your Application (1:6:6) R104 | Kinnison of Tellus (5:1:2) R105
ArcChas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2008, 22:57   #78
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

First of all, I don't think anybody would have argued to lower the alliance limits had they known that Fiery had all by herself decided to rid herself of the pesky support planet rule. See, when the discussion to lower the limit came up, nobody, not even the PA team knew that the support planet rule was going. So the drop of the limit was actually made without us knowing that the all ruling Fiery had decided to remove the support planet. Which then ofc screwed over the decision to lower the limit entirely. So much for people talking to each other and being communicative I guess, but then again, what do you expect when the MH's have decided they are the arbitrary rulers of the game and the universe.

This only puts the bigger importance of having transperant way of running the game instead of all the shadowy backroom decisions that are being made at the moment.
Unread 9 Jan 2008, 03:06   #79
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery
I will make this short and sweet.

The support planet rule will not be enforced this round
Way to put yourself out of a job.

I didn't realise Planetarion could sink much lower, however it appears I underestimated the people who run the game these days.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2008, 10:01   #80
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcChas
So, we'll have two kinds of alliance this round. Those (like Vengeance) who will play by the spirit of the rules and have all their members (including scanners) in tag - and those who are prepared to play by the letter of the rules (and actually ignore the rules that aren't being enforced) who will be able to call upon a much larger number of fleets.
There is no "spirit of the rules".
Unread 9 Jan 2008, 10:13   #81
Hude
self-entitledly superior

Hude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant future

How many times was the support planet rule actually enforced? I'm giggling at the comments about PA sinking lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
In reality this will be a fairly minor move and you're all being drama queens.
Hude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2008, 13:42   #82
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcChas
Sadly, you're right - and therein lies the whole problem.
No, the problem comes from unprecise rules which try to establish a form of gameplay that contradicts with the implemented game's gameplay.
Unread 10 Jan 2008, 15:16   #83
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

was #alliances consulted with this?
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2008, 16:44   #84
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

No, we wasnt.
Unread 10 Jan 2008, 18:02   #85
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliances Forum Post
The purpose of this forum is for alliances to discuss ideas on how to improve Planetartion and in particular to prevent alliances from destroying planetarion.
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2008, 18:17   #86
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Hey guys, if you want to discuss your super cool, private irc channel and forums why not do it there? 99% of the people here are lucky enough not to have access to the yawnfest, no need to drag them down.
Unread 10 Jan 2008, 20:04   #87
furball

Agreed.
Unread 10 Jan 2008, 20:23   #88
aNgRyDuCk
Hired Thug

aNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge
was #alliances consulted with this?

actually Fiery did discuss it in some detail prior to the first round they decided not to enforce it.... was that pre round 22 maybe (could be wrong on my time line, but I know it was discussed) , not sure I do remember in channel discussion...i
Unread 10 Jan 2008, 20:32   #89
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

I never saw the point in #alliances as what was discussed in there could perfectly well have been discussed in the public.
Unread 10 Jan 2008, 20:59   #90
Pilgrim
Bline

Pilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these parts

well im going to sign up a bunch of planets for myself. Theres no difference between a support planet and a multi. Farming here i come!!!
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2008, 21:07   #91
furball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
well im going to sign up a bunch of planets for myself. Theres no difference between a support planet and a multi. Farming here i come!!!
Of course there is you idiot.
Unread 10 Jan 2008, 21:12   #92
Pilgrim
Bline

Pilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Of course there is you idiot.
wtf is the differnce between a support planet and a multi?

The support planet rule was brought in to make it easier to close people if they had no proof of you multiiing
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2008, 10:00   #93
Mzyxptlk
mz.

No you fool. The support planet rule was brought in because 1up were a bunch of babies with a MH on their side.
Unread 11 Jan 2008, 12:12   #94
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
wtf is the differnce between a support planet and a multi?

The support planet rule was brought in to make it easier to close people if they had no proof of you multiiing
The use of support planet is easy enough to spot, so they should be closed for abusing game rules and mechanics.

Ofc there is a very thin line between support planets and any planets in the game, for example scanners. Since most plays to support something, alliance or their gal. Still using your friends to support your own rank, instead of making them play for real and add competition to the game as a group of players, is simply lame.

If support planets aint closed and dealt with by the MHs I sure do hope the playerbase deals them with hard hand.
Unread 11 Jan 2008, 12:14   #95
Mzyxptlk
mz.

And you are perfectly free to make that happen. It's just not up to the MHs any more.
Unread 11 Jan 2008, 17:47   #96
Recluse

I'd like to see that happen

Saver of Sad

Unread 15 Jan 2008, 10:21   #97
Assassin
PA Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNgRyDuCk
actually Fiery did discuss it in some detail prior to the first round they decided not to enforce it.... was that pre round 22 maybe (could be wrong on my time line, but I know it was discussed) , not sure I do remember in channel discussion...i
Actually that was me who removed the support planet rule when i was last in charge of the MH devision when clusters were brought back into play.

p3nguin Founder
Unread 17 Jan 2008, 16:12   #98
Fiery
PA Team

Fiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud of

Apparently I need to clarify something. Actually, three things.
1) Having more than one account is still against the rules. You are a multi if you have two or more accounts. You will be closed for this.
2) Farming is still against the rules. If you are caught farming, you will be closed.
3) Telling people that it is ok to have two or more accounts or to farm because the support planet rule was removed is encouraging cheating. So, to the people who are telling others that it's ok to multi and farm, this is a reminder/warning.
18.6. Miscellaneous cheating
(a) Attempts to encourage other planets to break the rules will be considered
a breach of this agreement
Fiery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2008, 19:33   #99
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Don't worry Fiery. I am just asking friends to be my def whores this round
Unread 17 Jan 2008, 19:52   #100
Fiery
PA Team

Fiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud of

Thanks, Heartless. That's very reassuring.
Fiery is offline   Reply With Quote