User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions

Unread 14 Dec 2005, 11:32   #1
Zo0f
Sir peon to you

Zo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of light
#1 = best alliance?

For the first time I can remember (which might not mean much, ive been drinking a lot lately) we have a round that is running very close right up until the round ends with more than 2 alliances fighting for victory. Which brings me to the point, will the alliance that is 1st when the ticks stop be the best alliance or just the one who happened to be on the lucky end of the usual up and down cycle of fluid politics?

(edit: Just to make it blatently obvious, this is in no way a dig at NewDawn. More so the switching of ranks between Exi and Angels.)

"The only easy day was yesterday."
Zo0f is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 11:35   #2
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: #1 = best alliance?

It will be the alliance who made the best out of the 4 man race. Thus end up the better alliance of the round.
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 11:42   #3
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It will be the alliance that played the best round. Unquestionably. Anything beyond that you need to specify what you mean by best, best military, best HC, best members, best political understanding, best looking HC in a pink ballerina's dress? If you mean a summation of all those then in what quantities should they have relevance? Or perhaps you mean which alliance if a new round started right now would be most likely to win? You need more qualifiers in your question.
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 11:44   #4
Goatsemaster
Just like science!

Goatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zo0f
For the first time I can remember (which might not mean much, ive been drinking a lot lately) we have a round that is running very close right up until the round ends with more than 2 alliances fighting for victory. Which brings me to the point, will the alliance that is 1st when the ticks stop be the best alliance or just the one who happened to be on the lucky end of the usual up and down cycle of fluid politics?

(edit: Just to make it blatently obvious, this is in no way a dig at NewDawn. More so the switching of ranks between Exi and Angels.)
The answer is easily yes, because there is no other way to decide which alliance is best. By definition, the alliance that wins, is best. That said, they may not be the most deserving of victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
One who knows when he can fight, and when he cannot fight, will be victorious;
Getting into a wrong fight is a bad excuse for losing.

There's another good Sun Tzu quote somewhere about only fighting wars you've won before-hand. Obviously that would get a bit boring in PA, but the general principle applies.
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 11:56   #5
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
It will be the alliance that played the best round. Unquestionably. Anything beyond that you need to specify what you mean by best, best military, best HC, best members, best political understanding, best looking HC in a pink ballerina's dress? If you mean a summation of all those then in what quantities should they have relevance? Or perhaps you mean which alliance if a new round started right now would be most likely to win? You need more qualifiers in your question.
I agree completely. The winner is the alliance that played the best round, regardless of how that happened or whether we like/dislike the used tactics.

If Rumad would play, his alliance would certainly win the "best looking HC in a pink ballerina dress". 2nd would be Zhil ...

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 11:59   #6
hook
I'm who you want me to be

hook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of light

'Best' is a little too vague for me. But if your criterium is how they played the round, then yeah, the #1 alliance IS the best alliance.
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 12:07   #7
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldoran
I agree completely. The winner is the alliance that played the best round, regardless of how that happened or whether we like/dislike the used tactics.

If Rumad would play, his alliance would certainly win the "best looking HC in a pink ballerina dress". 2nd would be Zhil ...
Actually, Zhil is the best looking out of a ballerina dress... <3<3

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 12:19   #8
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I would actually say no #1 doesn't mean your the best. The reason I say that is that success in PA does require a huge slice of luck which is something that can negate any advantages a better alliance has over you.

The best alliance in my book is the alliance with the best members, the best commanders, the greater tactical awareness, the best political savyness and such like and while obviously the #1 alliance will need to be strong in all these areas it doesn't need to be the best in them to win, they just need the run of the green. However this isn't a bad thing, its the very thing that makes sport interesting and what also makes PA interesting because anything can happen. It also certainly doesn't mean that the alliance whom is #1 doesn't deserve to win as they do, while they may or may not be the best they have taken hold when the opportunity presented itself and have used the slice of good luck they have received to take the win and thats just smart playing and makes anyone deserve to win
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 12:30   #9
Zo0f
Sir peon to you

Zo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of light

To me it comes down to how you want to measure 'best'. It is so easy to use the #1 alliance at round end, because to measure 'best' in its entirety is far too complex and thus difficult for most people to do.

However back to the topic: What makes the question valid in my opinion is that it is not just the #1 alliance that effects the ranks come end of round. In a round with the combination of fluid politics and such a close density of alliances at the top it is not entirely up to the said alliances at which point they peak and fall. Therefore it is a possability that an external and non controlled factor (outside the main contenders) could decide who peaks at the specific time the round ends. Luck is not a factor I would personally list when defining the 'best' alliance.

"The only easy day was yesterday."
Zo0f is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 12:41   #10
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

mazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriend

In my opinion there is no 'best', only winners. Every single round is an entirely different playing field with different external factors. The only way to measure the best alliance would be to only have two allinaces in the game fighting it out with each other, anything other than that is tainted because of allies, naps, random incoming, politics and so on.

Whoever wins this round deserves to be labelled as winners because they dealt better with anyone the obstacles in front of them but calling anyone the best alliance of this round, or any other round for that matter, is wrong and anyone doing so doesn't have a clue.

<@JBG> by the way is mazzelaar a community account that everyone in 1up logs into when they're feeling angry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGood
mazzelaar has always reminded me of a hungry hungry hippo. Except instead of eating marbles he just bites the heads off new AD posters
mazzelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 12:50   #11
Gala

Gala is an unknown quantity at this point

WTFwhere did Concordium and C7R go??
Round 2 Krom of Sumeria 24:15:4
Round 4 Galadrieth of The Chronic 178:11:3

blerp
Gala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 12:53   #12
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
I would actually say no #1 doesn't mean your the best. The reason I say that is that success in PA does require a huge slice of luck which is something that can negate any advantages a better alliance has over you.
What the **** would you know about winning?
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 12:55   #13
Stoom
Bragpack™

Stoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzelaar
In my opinion there is no 'best', only winners. Every single round is an entirely different playing field with different external factors. The only way to measure the best alliance would be to only have two allinaces in the game fighting it out with each other, anything other than that is tainted because of allies, naps, random incoming, politics and so on.

Whoever wins this round deserves to be labelled as winners because they dealt better with anyone the obstacles in front of them but calling anyone the best alliance of this round, or any other round for that matter, is wrong and anyone doing so doesn't have a clue.
Think you've said it all.
Stoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 13:02   #14
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
best looking HC in a pink ballerina's dress?
That award is already won by Sethy
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 13:06   #15
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

eXilition have the best military, and ND played the politics better than any other alliance so far this round. Thats all you can say safely, really. You can compare alliances when it comes down to specific fields of play, but you can't compare an alliance overall and say it is better than another one. What criteria would you take in mind? Community? Military? Politics? Member motivation, activity? Command activity, leadership? And the list goes on. mazzelaar summed it up quite nicely.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 13:11   #16
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
Why the **** would it matter? I believe Wakey is pretty in touch with the game and alliances.

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 13:12   #17
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

[]LCH[] are the best rebuilding alliance, peforming unexpectedly well, even to us.

Great congratz to our members !
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 13:16   #18
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
You don't have to have won at PA to understand that luck plays as much of a part in winning as skill/quality. Anyone who's competed at anything will understand that its not always the best that come out on top. I have for example won titles at both Football and Tennis but should I have won them all? While for some of them its a yes as i've been the better player or on the better team there's also times when i'm the weaker player or on the weaker team but i've had some lucky net cords or the team snatched a lucky goal. And vise versa I've lost to weaker players/teams myself, its simply the nature of competition that a large part of success is getting lucky and it doesn't matter if its an online game, or a rl sport as long as its free thinking humans against free thinking humans you need luck to be on your side

And it doesn't matter if your come 1st or come 21st that still comes into play. All the way through the rankings there are examples of alliances whom score higher in all the areas where you could quantify quality are below those whom are weaker in these same area
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 13:27   #19
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

was about to make a similar post then saw this one, which pretty much summed up what I wanted to say

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 13:31   #20
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
You don't have to have won at PA to understand that luck plays as much of a part in winning as skill/quality. Anyone who's competed at anything will understand that its not always the best that come out on top. I have for example won titles at both Football and Tennis but should I have won them all? While for some of them its a yes as i've been the better player or on the better team there's also times when i'm the weaker player or on the weaker team but i've had some lucky net cords or the team snatched a lucky goal. And vise versa I've lost to weaker players/teams myself, its simply the nature of competition that a large part of success is getting lucky and it doesn't matter if its an online game, or a rl sport as long as its free thinking humans against free thinking humans you need luck to be on your side
Nah dude, PA's like a football league more than a football match, the longevity, the consistent competition with all comers et cetera. It also doesn't really have the same luck factor that a game has where you can say that the wind was insanely strong, or the ball had a lucky bounce on the grass or something. The only external factor that's comparable is the game going down probably. Things like inactive members or shit planning are your (general your) fault. To go slightly off-topic this reminds me of a discussion I had with someone recently concerning chaos theory. They were under the mistaken impression that chaos theory is basically a synonym for randomness. This it most certainly is not. It appears to be chaos but in fact it is reducible to a set number of initial circumstances and a set number of axioms. Politics in planetarion is more about the law of unintended consequences than "luck". The nature of competition is that the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must (credit due to Thucydides here).

This post has been in honour of jesterina. Remember kids, dead girls don't say no.
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 13:48   #21
ReligFree

ReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Arfy
Actually, Zhil is the best looking out of a ballerina dress... <3<3
!!! News Flash: 1up member arrested on rape charge! !!!111

In my opinion the best alliance is at the end of the day the alliance that finishes number one. They have played the political climate well and had the military prowess to back up any enemies they have made. The best alliance of the round is the number 1 alliance. fact
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 14:15   #22
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Nah dude, PA's like a football league more than a football match, the longevity, the consistent competition with all comers et cetera. It also doesn't really have the same luck factor that a game has where you can say that the wind was insanely strong, or the ball had a lucky bounce on the grass or something. The only external factor that's comparable is the game going down probably. Things like inactive members or shit planning are your (general your) fault. To go slightly off-topic this reminds me of a discussion I had with someone recently concerning chaos theory. They were under the mistaken impression that chaos theory is basically a synonym for randomness. This it most certainly is not. It appears to be chaos but in fact it is reducible to a set number of initial circumstances and a set number of axioms. Politics in planetarion is more about the law of unintended consequences than "luck". The nature of competition is that the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must (credit due to Thucydides here).

This post has been in honour of jesterina. Remember kids, dead girls don't say no.
Football leagues arent always won by the best team though. A lucky win can set a team on a run as that lucky break has positive effects and an unlucky loss can set a team on a downwards spiral.

Look at the premiership last season, Arsenal looked unstoppable at the start of the season but the loss to Man Utd hit them and they struggled somewhat. And Wigan this season were not top6 quality but they were on a run and stayed their for much of the season. They have however lost a couple of games and seem to be slipping a bit.

And its the same with PA, theres all these luck factors inluding but not limited to galaxy placement, attacks that are launched at you ect ect. Ofc like a football league something over such a long period isnt going to see someone who should be near the bottom end up winning as it does even out somewhat BUT it can and does change a groups ranking by few places.
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 14:33   #23
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Football leagues arent always won by the best team though. A lucky win can set a team on a run as that lucky break has positive effects and an unlucky loss can set a team on a downwards spiral.
No ****ing way. Football leagues are nearly always won by the best team. If you can go on a shit run after losing one game that indicates a lack of mental fortitude.

Quote:
Look at the premiership last season, Arsenal looked unstoppable at the start of the season but the loss to Man Utd hit them and they struggled somewhat. And Wigan this season were not top6 quality but they were on a run and stayed their for much of the season. They have however lost a couple of games and seem to be slipping a bit.
Arsenal played shit teams and won comfortably. They couldn't beat well organised teams as easily. They also just plain weren't as good as chelsea and had nowhere near the same squad-depth. It's just that shit fascination with rapidly changing outlooks that means writers have to spout off a new article about why the team currently doing well is currently doing well. Wigan are an excellent example, they played a whole load of dreadful teams and won by the odd goal. They have played some good sides now and they've lost the most recent games. Down in the middle it's random crap but at the top it's always the best team winning.

Quote:
And its the same with PA, theres all these luck factors inluding but not limited to galaxy placement, attacks that are launched at you ect ect. Ofc like a football league something over such a long period isnt going to see someone who should be near the bottom end up winning as it does even out somewhat BUT it can and does change a groups ranking by few places.
You get attacked when you're a good target, or your alliance is a good target, or your galaxy is a good target. With buddy-packs and the question of galaxy organisation (something you are responsible for) blaming inactive galaxies is a little silly. You're also talking about the placement of ~80 planets throughout the universe which, considering the total number of galaxies, is something very likely to balance out, or extraordinarily closely, for alliances. You also have the question of how you use any "luck" that comes your way, people can deflect targetting away from their alliance if they're perceived as less of a threat (hello ND!) This is a skill in itself.

At least you appear to have backed down from your rather bizzare earlier statement of
Quote:
The reason I say that is that success in PA does require a huge slice of luck which is something that can negate any advantages a better alliance has over you.
I think we can all acknowledge that success in PA does not require a huge slice of luck.
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 14:43   #24
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

If the #1 alliance at the end of the round is not the best, then whats the point in alliance rankings?
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 14:45   #25
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy
[]LCH[] are the best rebuilding alliance, peforming unexpectedly well, even to us.

napping every mother and her dog, and jumping on the exi bandwagon...any player could see you where gonna do well:>
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 14:45   #26
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Success in PA is partly dependant on a number of factors wich you can not control, though. Thus, saying that the "best alliance is the one that wins", is, in my opinion, not a valid statement. There are so many ways that an alliance can be better than another. Also, comparing alliance performance in different rounds is hardly easy, because the climate differ so much.

One can say that "alliance A" beat "alliance B" in x and y round, and hence they played better in those rounds. Does that make "alliance A" a better alliance than "alliance B"? My opinion is that it does not. If this thread is about the coming winner if this round, I'd say whoever wins this round deserves it, as all the alliances that are still in the race for it, have put down enormous amounts of work, and done very well the entire round. A couple of other alliances have done very well over a long time, as well.

And to JBG, and wakey. Can you say with certainty that 90's Turin, for instance, were better than Chelsea are now? Achievement is hardly the only way to measure how good anyone is.

Unread 14 Dec 2005, 14:45   #27
qebab
The Original Carebear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neferti
If the #1 alliance at the end of the round is not the best, then whats the point in alliance rankings?
To determine a winning alliance of that specific round.

Unread 14 Dec 2005, 14:51   #28
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by qebab
And to JBG, and wakey. Can you say with certainty that 90's Turin, for instance, were better than Chelsea are now? Achievement is hardly the only way to measure how good anyone is.
Not to quote myself too much but...

What we're talking about here is something entirely different.
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 14:57   #29
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neferti
The best? No.

But it is the alliance that played the round the best. Let's be honnest here, if ND wins then overall they've played the best round of all alliances, nobody can deny that fact.

But does it mean ND is the best alliance? Let's not kid ourselves, we both know e.g. Exilition is by far better when it comes to military power.

Any sane person can look at the development in the round, the circumstances each alliance had to play in, the political sitation, many more factors which an alliance cannot controle ... I think most pple can judge an alliance based on that rather then on their final rank only.

But again I repeat, the alliance that wins has played the best round, has been able to deal best with the circumstances, has been able to use the opportunities the most etc.

FA Gaming community

Unread 14 Dec 2005, 14:59   #30
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

The beginning of the game does involve luck
But that hardly determines the round
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 15:09   #31
TehVader
NewDawn pe0n

TehVader is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Unread 14 Dec 2005, 16:02   #32
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

the best alliances at PA will be and should only be defined by their success.
if you don't win, you LOSE.

i wholeheartedly second all posts made by jbg & jester till this post.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 16:07   #33
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

mazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ryzekiel_

i wholeheartedly second all posts made by jester till this post.
In that case:

What the **** would you know about winning - you've only ever managed half a round haven't you?

You're worse than FatRat

<@JBG> by the way is mazzelaar a community account that everyone in 1up logs into when they're feeling angry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGood
mazzelaar has always reminded me of a hungry hungry hippo. Except instead of eating marbles he just bites the heads off new AD posters

Last edited by mazzelaar; 14 Dec 2005 at 16:07. Reason: speeling
mazzelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 16:15   #34
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
I so strongly disagree with such statements ...

The world would be a sad bunch if you apply this kinda thinking on other things.

FA Gaming community

Unread 14 Dec 2005, 16:28   #35
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Seen films where kids go insane trying to be the best so I would disagree coz then what would be the point in f-crew and co?
I dont think they see themselves as losers and I dont look at them as losers.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 16:33   #36
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah02
Seen films where kids go insane trying to be the best so I would disagree coz then what would be the point in f-crew and co?
I dont think they see themselves as losers and I dont look at them as losers.
F-crew have a lot going on outside the immediate planetarion politico-military paradigm.

Sorry but I've always wanted to say that
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 16:34   #37
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
In that case:

What the **** would you know about winning - you've only ever managed half a round haven't you?

You're worse than FatRat
jer was top100 before he hit puberty (and before you were even in that shit alliance no one liked). </circle jerk>
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 17:18   #38
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldoran
I so strongly disagree with such statements ...

The world would be a sad bunch if you apply this kinda thinking on other things.
"honour" & other such subjective issues aren't being questioned here, this is simply the objective truth/question of how to define "best" at the game. if it's not by winning, what way is it?

don't get me wrong, when it comes to respect or such there are many more variables thrown in the pot ofcourse.

(ps i was cool post-puberty too.)

noah: the point in f-crew is that they are farms for winners early rnd and in a more respectable level - a place to learn to grow and hopefully eventually grow out of being a loser.
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 17:30   #39
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Best alliance in terms of ability is entirely subjective and there can only be opinions and not 'facts'. People say military should be the sole yardstick - I can see why, it is the most important one. But to rely on military alone is foolish; an alliance of such ability of Xanadu only won one round when on military alone, probably should have won more. Successful alliances make the most of their ability by using politics and having sufficient military to back it up; if they don't have the military they are doomed to fail. One excellent example is 1up having the military clout to compel planets to sign personal NAPs.

The only barometer we have for alliance performance is ranking. It is a judgement of who made the best of their situation. And when there is no mega blocking, every alliance needs a bit of luck to win planetarion. Elysium is the case in point - did they deserve to win? Of course they did, they outsmarted their opposition with what at the time was a legitimate strategy. That's all that matters - I doubt they give a hoot that everyone says Eclipse was better than them, because they won.
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 17:39   #40
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy

You guys had virtually no serious incoming. Wow. like a boxer with no fights saying he was the best. AND your in 4th.
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 18:18   #41
jerome

"rebuilding" being the key word there.
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 18:37   #42
Seth Mace
Down Boy - WOOF!

Seth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of light

It's interesting seeing which people are saying what atm, some are clearly preparing for a final rank other then #1 ;D

Im with the "#1 = best alliance of that round", lot anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar
That award is already won by Sethy
Pfff, clothes are for loosers;P
R5: [HR] - [DuH] Triad with [BD] & [UV]
R6: [HR] - [HyB] Alliance with [BD]
R7, R8, R9, R9.5: Nos Wing [HR]
R10: [HR]
R10.5: [HR] - [FYTFO] Alliance with ]LCH[
R11, R12, R13, R15, R16, R17: [HR]
Seth Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 19:25   #43
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

My alliance is always the best.

Fury was the best.
Eclipse was the best.
Now 1up is the best for this generation.

It is useless to argue against me on this

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 19:27   #44
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
Elysium is the case in point - did they deserve to win? Of course they did, they outsmarted their opposition with what at the time was a legitimate strategy. That's all that matters - I doubt they give a hoot that everyone says Eclipse was better than them, because they won.
Eclipse was by far better than Elysium. They only came ahead in score due to recruiting all the hostiles - any idiot can do that. My cat can do that. History will always remember Eclipse as the true winners.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 19:34   #45
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Not every alliance aims to end number 1, and so an alliance which has greatly exceeded all expectations can have 'the best round'. However, this thread isn't about which alliance has had the best round - it's about which is the best alliance.

And that award is shared between ND and eX - ND politically and eX militarily. The two areas (politics and military) are inseparable, so I'm not even going to bother.
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 20:30   #46
MegaNova
m33p

MegaNova is a jewel in the roughMegaNova is a jewel in the roughMegaNova is a jewel in the roughMegaNova is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by qebab
Success in PA is partly dependant on a number of factors wich you can not control, though. Thus, saying that the "best alliance is the one that wins", is, in my opinion, not a valid statement. There are so many ways that an alliance can be better than another. Also, comparing alliance performance in different rounds is hardly easy, because the climate differ so much.
In 1250 ticks ppl can have "factors you cant control" as you call it. But saying one alliance won a round becouse it had more "factors you cant control" that came out more positive then the other competing alliances, is just BS.

I think that the alliance who ended 1st in todays PA is the best alliance this round.
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 20:40   #47
aNgRyDuCk
Hired Thug

aNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet society

to be the man, you gotta beat the man... with that said, the winner of any round, that round, was the best alliance, and analysing it further is pointless.

If a team wins the super bowl, regardless if they had the best win-loss record... they were the best when it counted....you don't say they suck but the won the super bowl... as if they truly sucked, they wouldn't be the world champs
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 20:43   #48
Fyodor
Behe

Fyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zh|l
Eclipse was by far better than Elysium. They only came ahead in score due to recruiting all the hostiles - any idiot can do that. My cat can do that. History will always remember Eclipse as the true winners.

Agreed. Eclipse did most of the damage to Fang in pax. (that we didnt do to ourselves)
Eclipse: Never liked em, always respected em. The best dynasty of their generation.
Ely: Never liked em, never respected them. Punked out the "win" in pax.
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 21:01   #49
fbd

fbd will become famous soon enoughfbd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
My alliance is always the best.

Fury was the best.
Eclipse was the best.
Now 1up is the best for this generation.

It is useless to argue against me on this
I've learnt that it's not worth bothering
fbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 21:15   #50
alch
Retired

alch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud of

Quote:
Wrong and true. Eclipse were the best alliance (in several aspects) in this round, and did a lot of damage to FAnG as behemoth stated, elysium werent the best and somehow felt the nessecery of recruiting their opponents to finish higher than eclipse. They were surely not the best but they did win this round, and Planetarion has some kind of habit to remember only the #1 alliance.

On several aspect, eclipsed finished the round with respect from most of the players, and most of all from their ennemies (me being one of them) and also knowing they were the best. Elysium actually finished higher in the ranks and lost all respect but won a #1 ranking that will always be remember in history book.

Whats higher in value? that is the question.
Win at all cost? or lose with respect?