User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 9 Jun 2005, 06:59   #1
Hude
self-entitledly superior

Hude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant future
Last tick suicidals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocteau
Why my rank is #16 instead of between #6 or #7 technically?

Can someone tell and explain why my planet crossed a value score loss when #support and Kal guarranteed that the last tick is a normal tick ( normal tick = no score gain/loss based on value at the tick of landing)? I reckon it only happened to me ( or there's also a few?) since a lot of i know suiciders who did the last tick landing jump ranks
First of all, according to PA team it was supposed to be totally random based on user_id and ticking order.

Secondly, I think game engine should be adjusted so that everyone crashing their fleet on the last tick lose value. Trying to gain few ranks by suciding on a bigger planet than yourself is just a lame tactic IMHO. (And there were quite many trying) You can't do that during the round without losing value, why should you be able to do it in the end? Not to forget that people are hitting napped alliances in the end. That kind of actions belong to the havoc, not the round.

I'm not judging anyone here personally and know what happened so spare the details. I pointed out that these kind of actions happen and theres something wrong in it in my opinion.

I understand PA team is correcting the game engine so that final tick works the same way for everyone. What will be the behaviour of it?

[I created a new thread so that the original doesn't get on a side-track]
Hude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jun 2005, 08:30   #2
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Last tick suicidals

Yeah, this random behavior based on arbitrary ordering shit has got to go.

Was fun having shortened return ETA from almost every battle though.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jun 2005, 08:32   #3
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

I'm not sure where the confusion lied here tbh - everyone that asked me I said there was a signifcant chance that it was based on user id and hence suiciding in the last tick was risky.

Rather than correcting the final tick, the logical solution would be to add a quick score recalc into the ticker after all planets have ticked - then all scores will update in the tick and final tick recounts won't be needed.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jun 2005, 08:44   #4
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

This will obviously mean suiciding for xp while not getting losses calculated won't work in future. As it didn't for quite a few people this time. It also means that it's 100% certain that suiciding for XP in the last tick won't work. This time people complained they lost fleet that affected score but shouldn't have, and also that they didn't gain score from fleet gained in the last tick that should have boosted their score.
Maybe if we have an option of selecting user ID next round instead....
Unread 9 Jun 2005, 08:59   #5
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
I'm not sure where the confusion lied here tbh - everyone that asked me I said there was a signifcant chance that it was based on user id and hence suiciding in the last tick was risky.
That's not what you said to me. Incidentally, my steal in pt 1668 didn't register until pt 1669 (expected behavior).
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jun 2005, 09:03   #6
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
That's not what you said to me. Incidentally, my steal in pt 1668 didn't register until pt 1669 (expected behavior).
yes its probably just value and score that needs to be updated as an additional tick step

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 9 Jun 2005, 09:26   #7
Hude
self-entitledly superior

Hude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant futureHude has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
Rather than correcting the final tick, the logical solution would be to add a quick score recalc into the ticker after all planets have ticked - then all scores will update in the tick and final tick recounts won't be needed.
Sounds like an easy and feasible solution. It was kinda annoying to have to wait one extra tick for value updates anyway
Hude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jun 2005, 09:49   #8
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

My fleet suicided yesterday morning (not intentionally), I lost the value straight away, not the tick after.
Unread 9 Jun 2005, 10:08   #9
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

I suicided on last tick because i always thought ship loss/gain and roid loss/gain would only happen the tick after (which i never understood why) so I thought I land last tick I wont loose score and nor would the person I attacked and for me I lost a lot but gained 1m+ score and jumped from 97th to 77th but then again if I had of known that my value/roid loss would have been counted that tick i am sure 90% of the ppl who did suicide wouldnt have bothered suiciding there fleet for a small score gain and making the end of the round less of an event and more of a impatient wait.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jun 2005, 10:19   #10
Synthetic_Sid

Synthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet society

If you land in combat on a planet that ticks BEFORE your planet does then any fleet loss/gains you make will show up THE SAME tick. That has always been the case in PAX (and, I believe, even before that) - and should be pretty obvious if you consider that your planet's value updates when your planet ticks (score is calculated and updated in a seperate action after all planets have had their main tick).

If you wanted to land without losing value you needed to attack a planet that ticks after yours. If you wanted captured ship values to be added you needed to attack a planet that ticks before yours. No fleet losses/gains that you take at your planet show up until the following tick.

This has been the case for as long as I can remember: what seems to have changed this round is that it is slightly harder to predict which planet ticks when.
Unread 9 Jun 2005, 10:49   #11
Cocteau
Cherry Colored Funk

Cocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to all

Thank you to Kal and Sid for informing the community how it works since ages.

But sadly i can bet - more than 98% dont know that, and instead experience how we termed it as 'normal' tick "every attack".

PLUS:

We talked to 2 admins, what will you do if your pods seems thru and hearing this? :

12:18:40 [netgamers] [msg(Kal)] as XP adjusts score the same tick
12:18:54 [netgamers] [msg(Kal)] while the value drop from the fleet lost /shouldn't/ count

<cocteau> lo
<cocteau> u der m8?
<Lunar_Lamp> lo
<cocteau> I have one question
<cocteau> If someone lands on the last tick of the round will the attacker still gain the XP
<Lunar_Lamp> Yes
<cocteau> Will the value loss/gain reflect on the score on that landing tick for both parties
<Lunar_Lamp> no
<cocteau> Ty

Anyway, Im done talking to Kal - here's what he said in the end:

<Kal> all we can do is apologise, we cannot change things

:P
Really need you

-- My Bloody Valentine
Cocteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jun 2005, 11:16   #12
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic_Sid
If you land in combat on a planet that ticks BEFORE your planet does then any fleet loss/gains you make will show up THE SAME tick. That has always been the case in PAX (and, I believe, even before that) - and should be pretty obvious if you consider that your planet's value updates when your planet ticks (score is calculated and updated in a seperate action after all planets have had their main tick).

If you wanted to land without losing value you needed to attack a planet that ticks after yours. If you wanted captured ship values to be added you needed to attack a planet that ticks before yours. No fleet losses/gains that you take at your planet show up until the following tick.

This has been the case for as long as I can remember: what seems to have changed this round is that it is slightly harder to predict which planet ticks when.
The eta bug was due to planets ticking in the wrong order - once it was fixed planets were ticking in the right order.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???