User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 24 Jun 2003, 18:47   #1
Freakozoid
Anon.

Freakozoid is an unknown quantity at this point
Personal Statements.

Right I know some of you have done them.

Got any tips?

I want to do History and possibly Philosophy but I have no idea why and can't think what can have inspired me to make this choice =/

I guess I'm just going to have to bull**** and just write a fancy statement which sounds and looks good.
Freakozoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2003, 18:54   #2
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
In ireland we have a completely impersonal system for applying to college. However as your average philosophy professor manages to make the word gimp look like a compliment and has a veritable penchant for big words use phrases like "a veritable pechant". Excessive use of however, conversely, comparatively, contradictorily, concordantly, symptomatically, systemically and paradigmatically (this is actually the best word ever) is also highly recommended. Learn a few random quotes from philosophers like rousseau, psychologists like freud, and political theorists like Marx. (Nobody in the real world thinks they're correct anymore but in the world of academia "correct" is an illusion used to describe a general feeling).
Unread 24 Jun 2003, 19:00   #3
Freakozoid
Anon.

yes fair enough.

I have intended to stick in as many sophistimicated words as possible.

But, in what possible way could I use paradigmatically in my personal statement??
Unread 24 Jun 2003, 19:03   #4
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Freakozoid
yes fair enough.

I have intended to stick in as many sophistimicated words as possible.

But, in what possible way could I use paradigmatically in my personal statement??

Doesn't matter, nobody has a ****ing clue what it means and nobody ever will. Just use it just before one of sartre's more unintelligible quotes.
Unread 24 Jun 2003, 19:06   #5
Freakozoid
Anon.

Oh yes thats a point.

I may need to start reading about Philosophy rather than labouring through Sophie's ****ing World.
Unread 24 Jun 2003, 19:10   #6
JonnyBGood
Banned

I can sum it up in one sentence, "if nobody understands nobody can disagree".
Unread 24 Jun 2003, 19:15   #7
GavGull
Here Today

GavGull is an unknown quantity at this point
use sophisticated diction, yes; use a thesaurus, no.
GavGull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2003, 19:29   #8
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about
KaneED told me about this

i don't know if it will have what you need specifically though, but it has history and philosophy there
Unread 24 Jun 2003, 19:36   #9
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
I only had to give a personal statement when my Scuba dive partner had a heart attack underwater and died.

Please don't remind me of that.

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2003, 19:40   #10
Freakozoid
Anon.

I'm sorry.

And I didn't.
Unread 24 Jun 2003, 22:49   #11
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend
Lie without it being to obvious you're lying.

You know the normal shiet
"I'm a motivated person, who is really interested ..., I am greatly looking forward etc etc."

Make them think you actually really want to join thier two-bit University, and you're an excited, motivated, hard working well balanced human being.

Oh, and make up some fictious activities you participate in outside school both academic and non-adademic. (Trolling on a Internet forums is not the shrewdesh activity to state).

Maybe you should try and imagine what one of those top students would put. And assimilate his or her persona.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2003, 22:56   #12
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
If I had to write another personal statement, I'd make mine as unusual as possible (without being silly).

So instead of the usual corporate "I work hard every day and I love team work" bull****, I'd write something which is going to grab their attention (remembering they'll probably get the admin girl from the department to read 5000 of these, so get noticed).

My first draft of my undergrad personal statement was a "I have a dream" part-pastiche, part-self-glorification rant. I then edited it into some dull **** which means it probably read like a hell of a lot of others.

Now when I'm applying for something I generally just give them an outline of why I'm interested in the subject and/or job. It generally works.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote