User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 16 May 2003, 13:28   #1
poshphil
Little Bitch

poshphil is an unknown quantity at this point
Does anyone fancy

writing me two QBasic programs for me?

I need one to work out and print all prime numbers under 1000.

And I need one that uses the Taylor series expansion to calculate exp(x)

You have 10 minutes to do it in btw.
Unread 16 May 2003, 13:30   #2
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice
I have the primes one already done.

Shame it's at home though - I'll rustle up another version now.

Someone else can do the one that actually needs effort.
Unread 16 May 2003, 13:30   #3
Freakozoid
Anon.

Freakozoid is an unknown quantity at this point
ok.

wait ten minutes.
Freakozoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2003, 13:30   #4
poshphil
Little Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by sayonara
I have the primes one already done.

Shame it's at home though - I'll rustle up another version now.

Someone else can do the one that actually needs effort.
Yay!

I'll need the source code though
Unread 16 May 2003, 13:35   #5
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
The taylor expansion's easy.

10 INPUT X
20 LET Q = 1
30 LET T = 0
40 LET E = 0
50 LET P = 1 TO 1000
60 LET T = (X^P)/Q
70 LET E = E + T
80 LET Q = Q*(P+1)
90 NEXT P
100 PRINT E

does it to 1001 iterations

(ofc that's in BBC Basic, don't use QBasic personally)
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2003, 13:37   #6
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
10 PRINT "JIGGLYPUFF"
20 GOTO 10
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2003, 13:41   #7
[GAP]Obiwan

[GAP]Obiwan is an unknown quantity at this point
<usual_reply>
DO YOUR OWN ****ING HOMEWORK
</usual_reply>
[ICE]DC
[Deus]
[Tok'ra]
[Ostraka]
www.tit.aresexy.com
[GAP]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2003, 13:43   #8
Evil Skragg
And you expected Kittens?

Evil Skragg will become famous soon enoughEvil Skragg will become famous soon enough
10 PRINT NODROG HAS CAUGHT "THE GHEY"
20 RUNPROG c:\Docs\mockinglaughter.wav
30 GOTO 10
RUN
Unread 16 May 2003, 13:44   #9
poshphil
Little Bitch

It's not homework, its stuff we're doing in a 3hr practical for physics today, I've already done 3 weeks of it and bored as **** with it, plus its friday afternoon, and the quicker I get it done the quicker i can go home.

Not only this, but the people who are doing the class have no clue. And the keyboards there are crap.
Unread 16 May 2003, 13:45   #10
[GAP]Obiwan

[GAP]Obiwan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by poshphil
It's not homework, its stuff we're doing in a 3hr practical for physics today, I've already done 3 weeks of it and bored as **** with it, plus its friday afternoon, and the quicker I get it done the quicker i can go home.

Not only this, but the people who are doing the class have no clue. And the keyboards there are crap.
i bet you even moan when having sex!
[ICE]DC
[Deus]
[Tok'ra]
[Ostraka]
www.tit.aresexy.com
[GAP]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2003, 14:10   #11
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice
Code:
10 INPUT X
20 LET Q = 1
30 LET T = 0
40 LET E = 0
50 FOR p = 1 TO 1000
60      LET T = (X ^ p) / Q
70      LET E = E + T
80      LET Q = Q * (p + 1)
100 PRINT E
110 NEXT p
qBasic version

It overflows at the moment - I didn't check the maths, just changed it to qB form. Every second I spend doing this increases the risk that someone will discover I have done all my work for the day

[edit - the primes one is giving me hassle 'cos Ican't remember how I did it last time. Apparently qBasic does not get the idea of "if x/n <> int(x/n) then..."]

Last edited by sayonara; 16 May 2003 at 14:26.
sayonara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2003, 15:07   #12
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
[edit - the primes one is giving me hassle 'cos Ican't remember how I did it last time. Apparently qBasic does not get the idea of "if x/n <> int(x/n) then..."]
Use the mod operator, it's % in most languages.

x % n is equivalent to x/n <> int(x/n) I think. Though it could be n % x, can't remember.
Unread 16 May 2003, 15:26   #13
sayonara
Shai Halud

x MOD n in qBasic.

Which returns an integer - huzzah!
Unread 16 May 2003, 15:27   #14
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Hmm, really has been a while since I've done 'all that jazz'.
Unread 16 May 2003, 16:03   #15
poshphil
Little Bitch

yay thanks for the help, we managed to copy off the lecturer guy though
Unread 16 May 2003, 16:05   #16
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Post his version of the e^x one, I want to see if it's superior.
Unread 16 May 2003, 16:11   #17
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Does anyone fancy

Quote:
Originally posted by poshphil

I need one to work out and print all prime numbers under 1000.
PRINT "2 3 5 7 11 13 17 19 23 29 31 37 41 43 47"
PRINT "53 59 61 67 71 73 79 83 89 97 101 103 107 109 113"
PRINT "127 131 137 139 149 151 157 163 167 173 179 181 191 193 197"
PRINT "199 211 223 227 229 233 239 241 251 257 263 269 271 277 281"
PRINT "283 293 307 311 313 317 331 337 347 349 353 359 367 373 379"
PRINT "383 389 397 401 409 419 421 431 433 439 443 449 457 461 463"
PRINT "467 479 487 491 499 503 509 521 523 541 547 557 563 569 571"
PRINT "577 587 593 599 601 607 613 617 619 631 641 643 647 653 659"
PRINT "661 673 677 683 691 701 709 719 727 733 739 743 751 757 761"
PRINT "769 773 787 797 809 811 821 823 827 829 839 853 857 859 863"
PRINT "877 881 883 887 907 911 919 929 937 941 947 953 967 971 977"
PRINT "983 991 997"
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2003, 16:21   #18
sayonara
Shai Halud

Re: Re: Does anyone fancy

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
sayonara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2003, 17:27   #19
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
The taylor expansion's easy.

10 INPUT X
20 LET Q = 1
30 LET T = 0
40 LET E = 0
50 LET P = 1 TO 1000
60 LET T = (X^P)/Q
70 LET E = E + T
80 LET Q = Q*(P+1)
90 NEXT P
100 PRINT E

does it to 1001 iterations

(ofc that's in BBC Basic, don't use QBasic personally)
While I was walking in town, I realised that this is wrong

10 INPUT X
20 LET Q = 1
30 LET T = 0
40 LET E = 1
50 FOR P = 1 TO 1000
60 LET T = (X^P)/Q
70 LET E = E + T
80 LET Q = Q*(P+1)
90 NEXT P
100 PRINT E

Is the correct QBasic one.

(Let E = 1, not 0)
Unread 16 May 2003, 18:07   #20
sayonara
Shai Halud

Quote:
While I was walking in town, I realised that this is wrong
(Let E = 1, not 0)
That would explain the overflow. Like I said, I didn't check the maths
Unread 16 May 2003, 18:10   #21
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Isn't "LET" redundant in QBasic?

a = 1 should be the same as LET a = 1, etc.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2003, 18:11   #22
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
That would explain the overflow. Like I said, I didn't check the maths
That's more likely to be the result of working out the factorial of 1000.
Unread 16 May 2003, 18:25   #23
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Well, I meant 100 when I originally posted it.

The explaning line was an edit, so I claim 'error carried through'

[edit]

Perhaps 50 would be better. Or 20.
Unread 16 May 2003, 18:26   #24
queball
Ball

Quote:
Well, I meant 100 when I originally posted it.

The explaning line was an edit, so I claim 'error carried through'
9332621544394415268169923885626670049071596826438162146859296389521759999322991560894146397615651828 6253697920827223758251185210916864000000000000000000000000 is still pretty big
Unread 16 May 2003, 18:27   #25
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Yeah, but if you want e^x to loads of dp...

[edit]

And he didn't say it actually had to work, just that the program was valid.
Unread 16 May 2003, 18:38   #26
Deathjam
Banned

Deathjam is an unknown quantity at this point
yea i now got qbasic on xp

Deathjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2003, 19:14   #27
poshphil
Little Bitch

Quote:
Post his version of the e^x one, I want to see if it's superior.
It's in the physics computer lab. Thats far too far away.

Sorry
Unread 16 May 2003, 22:08   #28
sayonara
Shai Halud

Quote:
Like I said, I didn't work out the maths.
Unread 16 May 2003, 23:00   #29
Tobe
Checkout Boy

Tobe is an unknown quantity at this point
there should be ****ing buttons for this kind of stuff on they keyboard
Unread 17 May 2003, 00:14   #30
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Code:
const limit=1000
dim b(limit)
a=2:t=1
do while a<=sqr(limit)
for d=0 to limit step a:b(d)=b(d)+1:next d
print a
do while b(a)>0:a=a+1:loop
loop
do while a<=limit
if b(a)=0 then print a
a=a+1
loop
Has the nice side effect of resulting in an array b() of how many prime factors every number lower than the limit has.