User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 12 Dec 2007, 00:14   #1
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Polyphasic sleep or Uberman sleep

As I want the facts and nothing but the facts to show you here's a link to the wikipedia article. There's also something on kur5hin. We've had threads on this before, I know. I remember queball once tried this but failed to stop oversleeping. But I want to start another one for possible updates. Has anyone you know ever succeeded in this?

I find it appealing. The only problem I see is that I'm unsure if I can find a way to sneak off for a 45 minutes nap at work. I could ask but I doubt my employer would look favourably on that. However, I could probably manage a 15 minute nap someplace.

Last edited by Hebdomad; 12 Dec 2007 at 00:33.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2007, 00:31   #2
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Polyphasis sleep or Uberman sleep

There's also some interesting polyphasic blogs in the comments section of the kuro5hin article.
Unread 12 Dec 2007, 12:51   #3
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Claim it as a religion?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2007, 14:13   #4
Bbud2
Banned

Bbud2 is just really niceBbud2 is just really niceBbud2 is just really niceBbud2 is just really niceBbud2 is just really nice

[quote=All Systems Go]Claim it as a religion?[/QUOTE
i got my vacinne , religion free , if you make it a ok to do drug to have 2 or 3 wife , allow suicide instead of shrinking , we get a special day evry week ,randomly placed . am donw whit a 45 min nap , whit a masage chair and something fo the leg .
Bbud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2007, 14:57   #5
Sharur
..yet opinionated

Sharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant futureSharur has a brilliant future

Yeah we can't forget the leg.
Sharur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2007, 17:20   #6
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

back on topic, I personally don't believe there is a distinct advantage to using that sleep pattern.

They need to update the expression a little to read, only 3 things are certain in life, Death, Taxes & Sleep.

You can shift these periods around all you like, but eventually, one way or the other the body will make up for the lost time (eithier as a mega-sleep.. or simply death (permanant sleep)).
Unread 12 Dec 2007, 19:07   #7
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

The theory seems to hypothesise that a lot of sleep is either redundant or compressible.
Unread 12 Dec 2007, 19:13   #8
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Polyphasis sleep or Uberman sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebdomad
The theory seems to hypothesise that a lot of sleep is either redundant or compressible.
Thatcher got by on four hours sleep a night.

I think the theory needs a little work.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Dec 2007, 05:19   #9
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In every case I read about they consistantly reported that skipping even 1 sleep cycle resulted in a crash & burn. That to me suggests their body doesn't consider these lost periods of sleep redundant, rather they are living from paycheck to paycheck (in the context of sleep that is).
Unread 14 Dec 2007, 21:00   #10
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
This is probably true, but not in the way they might mean it. Most of the redundant time involved in sleep is the act of going to sleep, which (especially if you've got things on your mind) can take a huge chunk of your day.

While you can probably adjust your lifestyle to avoid dead periods like this, escaping sleep debt more fundamentally seems like a different proposition. But it might vary from person to person - something I read recently suggested a genetic component in how your body reaction to tiredness. So maybe some people can function on vastly reduced hours, but that doesn't mean everyone can.

It is definitely possible to avoid a small amount of sleep debt, perhaps not through will-power alone but I've certainly had reasonable periods where even counting the binge-sleeps, I was still down on the overall amount of sleep needed. While I can generally report this as something to be avoided, it's worth noting that the most damaging factor is the quality of the sleep you do manage to get.

Either way, the effects are unpredictable, and I would only recommend it if you're in a position where you can take a day off with little or no notice. Oh, and ensure you're somewhere you can control the ambient temperature, your body's thermostatic controls don't always work well without sleep.

I'm personally curious to see how people change their diets to meet new sleep patterns. The act of eating seems closely linked to sleep - and there's been times when (after various sleeping remedies have failed) that I only managed to get to sleep by eating a large block of cheese.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2007, 23:26   #11
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Thank you. I've never really appreciated sentences that have ended in the phrase a large block of cheese before now. It seems like a laudable cause to take up.

Generally, when I have no reason to awake at a certain time I can and often do sleep for 12 hours. But when I awake I mostly still feel awful. I was once told - and this was by someone who wouldn't wear green because it was unlucky apparently, so: caution - that the body needs 8 hours of sleep and if you go over the body enters into the next sleep cycle. Therefore if you sleep for 12 hours you still need 4 more hours to complete the cycle. I have no idea if this is true though.

I'm interested in the claim that our ancestors had a vastly different sleep pattern. It seems likely because I'm sure our current sleep pattern results from the the standardised 9-5. I also read that the Chinese until quite recently had plenty of daytime naps, but only stopped because Westernised business culture looks down upon this. I'm unsure if this vindicates polyphasic sleep patterns but I'm sure culture dominates our current sleep pattern.
Unread 15 Dec 2007, 07:13   #12
djbass
mmm.. pills

Quote:
Generally, when I have no reason to awake at a certain time I can and often do sleep for 12 hours. But when I awake I mostly still feel awful. I was once told - and this was by someone who wouldn't wear green because it was unlucky apparently, so: caution - that the body needs 8 hours of sleep and if you go over the body enters into the next sleep cycle. Therefore if you sleep for 12 hours you still need 4 more hours to complete the cycle. I have no idea if this is true though.
Well that would fall into the category of oversleeping. It is generally suggested that anywhere between 7-9 hours is the ideal length of time.

Sleeping for extended periods would effect certain brain chemistry and other body processes that rely on being in sync with the circadian rhythms in the body.

Quote:
I'm interested in the claim that our ancestors had a vastly different sleep pattern. It seems likely because I'm sure our current sleep pattern results from the the standardised 9-5. I also read that the Chinese until quite recently had plenty of daytime naps, but only stopped because Westernised business culture looks down upon this. I'm unsure if this vindicates polyphasic sleep patterns but I'm sure culture dominates our current sleep pattern.
I have no doubt that sleeping patterns may have differed slightly between ages and various cultures. I doubt though that it resulted in less sleep than current patterns, just a shuffle of the schedule slightly. If anything its plausable that we may have used biphasic sleeping as it still includes much of same cycles as monophasic sleeping but with a slightly less rigid structure.

The real facts are that we still don't understand absolutely everything about the sleeping process and exactly what the real effects are on the various body processes. The more we learn about that system the more we realise how many other complex systems are tied to our sleeping cycle. This is especially the case for very subtle changes in the body during sleep that have a very large effect on related systems.

More recent studies have focused on the temperature related effects of body and sleep. If nothing else there are strong links to suggest that these sleeping periods are important in venting excess heat from the body. This includes the yawning reflex which is now suggested to be a method of cooling the brain by drawing air into the back of the throat where heat can passively exchange through the membranous skin in that region and the cranial area.
Unread 15 Dec 2007, 12:46   #13
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Heard about it, read about it, tried it, didn't work for me. Maybe someone else will have more success but I just got more ****ed up.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Dec 2007, 00:03   #14
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Thank you. I've never really appreciated sentences that have ended in the phrase a large block of cheese before now. It seems like a laudable cause to take up.

Different situations require different sleep patterns, although there was a study of a guy who live in a cave for a while and didn't see any daylight or have a watch and he still maintained his normal sleeping patterns i.e. sleeping in the night and waking during the day. This implies that there is some kind of genetic 'clock' which means we sleep in the evening.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Dec 2007, 00:25   #15
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

As far as I know our internal clock is set to about 25 hours a day, which would explain why, for me at least, it seems harder to sleep earlier than usual than to do so later than usual.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote