User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 2 Jan 2006, 22:00   #1
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Jennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet society
Calling all philosophers...

...in particular those who know about science and theology.

A discussion I was involved in on another forum has moved away from the stuff I know about, and into unfamiliar territory. I was dragged into it by someone who wanted me to argue the case of science against a load of religious nutjobs. I was able to correct their science, but now they've started arguing about philosophy, and I have a feeling that they are disagreeing over something that none of them know anything about either. I think I could bullshit either side into submission, but that's not my style, and in particular if the scientists are actually wrong, I'd like them to know about it.

The argument is about ID (Intelligent Design).

The pro-ID camp claim that science is a philosophy, and ID is a philosophy, and they are both based on certain a priori assumptions. They say that it is not justified for the science crew to say that their assumptions are more valid than the ID camp's assumptions, and therefore ID should be taught in schools.

The science crew claim that while science has a philosophy associated with it, and and underlying 'scientific method', science is not just philosophy plus experimental data.

Now, I know I obviously know what science is and understand the scientific method, but I know very little (actually, I think nothing) about philosophy.

So, if anyone would be willing to answer the following questions in very simple terms for me, I would be most grateful.

What actually is philosophy? What are its underlying principles? How does it actually work? What can it tell you about, and what can't it tell you about? Apart from having an underlying philsophy of how the whole scientific method thing works, can science in any way be considered equivalent to, or a branch of, philosophy?

Thanks peeps
“In spite of the roaring of the young lions at the Union, and the screaming of the rabbits in the home of the vivisect, in spite of Keble College, and the tramways, and the sporting prints, Oxford still remains the most beautiful thing in England, and nowhere else are life and art so exquisitely blended, so perfectly made one.”
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 22:10   #2
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Calling all philosophers...

Just shoot the pro-ID people.
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 22:27   #3
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The only real assumption you have to make, other than the axioms of logic and mathematics which can really be taken as a given as they're part of the language, is Occam's Razor, which is something fairly trivial to assume - especially as it's popped up many times in theology, was created by a theologian and was originally made to prove something about god. Everything else is just window dressing.

What exact kind of ID are they talking about? The faux-science one (with an unspecified entity) or the god one? Bear in mind that there is a significant amount of evidence against both, and there is no true irreducable complexity. In addition, if it's the former, it assumes some science and can be argued against fairly simply from the point that it increases complexity not decreases it.

And so on, and so forth. I must say that this is an innovative and new approach!

[edit]

http://meninhats.com/comics/20040825.gif

[edit2]

WRT what you actually asked, see the above comic strip.

Last edited by MrL_JaKiri; 2 Jan 2006 at 22:36.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 22:35   #4
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Jennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet society

What they're actually arguing about doesn't seem to bother them at the moment. The only part I'm concerned with is clearing up the issue of whether or not science and philosophy are the same/equivalent on any level.
“In spite of the roaring of the young lions at the Union, and the screaming of the rabbits in the home of the vivisect, in spite of Keble College, and the tramways, and the sporting prints, Oxford still remains the most beautiful thing in England, and nowhere else are life and art so exquisitely blended, so perfectly made one.”
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 22:36   #5
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer
What they're actually arguing about doesn't seem to bother them at the moment. The only part I'm concerned with is clearing up the issue of whether or not science and philosophy are the same/equivalent on any level.
Science has a philosophy. It is not philosophy. Religion has a philosphy, pretty much everything has an underlying philosophy. It's metaphysics (note: not actually related to physics)
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 22:37   #6
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Philosophy is a horribly poorly defined word. You can find yourselves arguing about entirely different things and not realising it. One of the key questions of philosophy is "what is philosophy?" Rather than define what subject philosophy concerns it's more sensible to indicate which questions philosophy is in response to. Philosophy is a response to questions concerning ultimacy. Questions about causality and about possible first causes. Any response to questions in this area are philosophical. Philosophy is a response to abstract questions. Those things which we recognise but cannot pin down and those whose inner workings are not open to empirical exploration. What is good, beautiful, right or true. Why do things happen. These types of questions are philosophical and any answer to them is philosophical as well. Even the assertion that nothing is good, beautiful, right or true, that there are no first causes and philosophy is meaningless junk is a philosophical assertion itself.

What is out there and in me, what can we know about it, what ways of describing it exist and what should we do about it? That extended question covers the five main disciplines of western philosophy (metaphysics, epistemology, logic and aesthetics and finally ethics). Science could be considered to be a systematic response to an epistemological question about the nature of the universe, namely that there is something out there and we can discover what there is by observation and experimentation. ID can be considered to be an unsystematic response to an epistemological question about the nature of the universe, namely that there is something out there and we should make random unrefutable assumptions about it.
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 22:45   #7
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

But you would not consider the scientific method to be a form of philosophy?
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 22:46   #8
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
The scientific method is the philosophy of science, it's a stupid debate that means very little.
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 22:52   #9
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I would consider the analysis of the scientific method to be part of philosophy but no I would not consider the scientific method itself to be a form of philosophy. If you're going to say that it is a form of philosophy then you'd be redefining what philosophy means so it pretty much includes everything and the fact that it's then a form of philosophy is utterly irrelevant.
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 22:53   #10
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Maybe I should have made that a bit clearer - would you consider carrying out scientific studies in accordance with the scientific method to be an act of philosophizing?
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 22:54   #11
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
I would consider the analysis of the scientific method to be part of philosophy but no I would not consider the scientific method itself to be a form of philosophy. If you're going to say that it is a form of philosophy then you'd be redefining what philosophy means so it pretty much includes everything and the fact that it's then a form of philosophy is utterly irrelevant.
I see, that is much clearer. Ta.
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 00:00   #12
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Are we talking philosophy or ideology here?
Boogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 02:39   #13
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
What actually is philosophy?
Theres probably no real answer to this question, because there are many different activities and subjects which go under the title of 'philosophy'. The sort of thing you'll find in a modern British university philosophy department is significantly different from what you'll find in the writings of (eg) Dostoyevsky or Nietzsche, and this is again different from the stuff that passes for philosophy in contemporary French universities, ancient China, or popular culture ("what is the meaning of life?")

This isnt to say that any of these things are necessarily valid or invalid, but I think it's important to realise that they are quite different. Its not just that they are different ways of looking at the same subject - theyre often (imo) independent subjects. Its largely just a historical accident that they all share the same name.

In the Western tradition going back to Greece, 'philosophy' was essentially a catch-all term used to label anything which involved the pursuit of knowledge. This is why most figures who would now be considered scientists (eg Newton, Bacon, Gallileo) classified themselves as natural philosophers. So in this sense of the term, it would be correct to view 'scientific' investigation as an aspect of philosophy. But the meaning of words can change over time, and this is not how most people use the term today. In modern academia, 'philosophy' generally names a highly specialised discipline with its own peculiar history, figures and problems, and it would be incorrect to include science under this*. But in (eg) popular culture, 'philosophy' tends to mean something more vague - perhaps one's basic approach towards life or something. And here it probably wouldnt be entirely nonsense to say that respect for science was part of ones individual 'philosophy of life'.

So yeah, the answer to the question really depends on what you mean by 'philosophy'.

* Although having said that, the precise relationship between academic philosophy and science is often disputed. The most common views seem to be 1) philosophy as completely independent of science, dealing with purely philosophical problems using philosophical methods (this is how much of traditional pre-Kantian philosophy would now be read), 2) philosophy as a 'critique' of science, and/or providing the foundations on which science can build (Kant and the logical positivists would be the most famous examples of this sort of thing), 3) philosophy as being mostly worthless, with the few areas worthy of study really just being branches of science in disguise (this is a fairly recent notion, with Quine being largely responsible; "philosophy of science is philosophy enough").

Quote:
Maybe I should have made that a bit clearer - would you consider carrying out scientific studies in accordance with the scientific method to be an act of philosophizing?
No, but I think that distingushing between (modern) science and (academic) philosophy can be quite difficult, especially in controversial fields where fundamental assumptions and methodology are routinely debated. Firstly, a lot of disciplines which are thought of as science today have traditionally been part of philosophy (most recently psychology and logic, but even physics and the rest of natural science if you want to go far enough back), so delimiting the field of 'scientific studies' is problematic. For instance, If you look at modern interdisciplinary studies of the mind, it can sometimes be hard to seperate the philosophy from the science. A discipline like cognitive science sits right at the boundary between science and philosophy just as logic did 100 years ago, and its probably misleading to class it as being either one or the other.

Secondly, modern anglo-american academic 'philosophy' tends to follow something which resembles the classic scientific method. You have some philosophical phenomena which people thinks needs an explanation (eg, the nature of reference, the character of mental states, whatever). So, you'll normally get a person, or group of people, producing a theory which tries to tie together and solve various problems related to this phenomena. This theory will then be attacked by others working in the field, although the key difference between this and science is that the methods of refutation are generally logical, and involve thought experiments and counterfactuals rather than actual real physical experiments.You'll have people pointing out hypothetical cases which the original 'theory' fails to explain, which I suppose is functionally similar to scientists producing experimental data which conflict with established theory*. Then, the people who support the original theory will try to modify it so that it takes the new cases into account, and the literature will normally explode into something resembling Lakatos' "research programs" (or 'normal science'), with various camps of people attacking the theories of others while fleshing out the details of their own.

I dont think that the primary difference between science and academic 'philosophy' is either the domain or methodology, since these things change over time. The most striking way in which they differ, aside from the use of experiments, is that science often enjoys progress and studies things which are generally useful, whereas modern philosophy doesnt (unless you want to call the demolition of bad ideas progress, which in a sense I suppose it is. But in science, bad ideas normally get replaced by better ones). However, it must be taken into account that whenever philosophy actually produces something worth bothering about, it often ends up being classified as science within a century or so. Its difficult to ask whether someone studying 'scentific stuff using the scientific method' is doing philosophy, because you immediately run into the problem of deciding what people like Leibniz, Freud, Aristotle (and maybe even Newton and Descartes) were doing. Things which we call philosophy/science today wont necessarily be classified the same way a few hundred years down the line. Personally I dislike these sort of classifications anyway and think its silly to look on philosophy as being an independent discipline, so meh. The Greeks had the right idea.

* although, science sometimes uses the 'hypothetical thought-experiments' model too. Were the Bohr-Einstein debates a matter of philosophy, or science?

edit: although having said all that, I doubt any of this is the sort of thing the people you mention are talking about. I think that ID supporters tend to use the 'science uses assumptions too!' line as a slightly more sophisticated version of "yeah, but thats just like your opinion!" - ie its more a way of avoiding critical examination of their beliefs than a genuine argument..rule out the entities we dont want in advance).

edit2: there is a subdiscpline within academic philosophy called "Philosophy of Science" which focuses on questions regarding scientific methodology and interpretation, such as how to choose between multiple competiting theories which are all compatible with known evidence (the problem of underdetermination), issues related to reductionism and the existence of crucial experiments, induction-related problems, the effects of 'irrational' factors on the development of scientific theories, and so on. Its here where you'd find questions specifically related to the traditional scientific method (such as 'does it work?' and 'do scientists actually use it?').

Last edited by Nodrog; 4 Jan 2006 at 10:12.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 03:03   #14
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
ID should be taught in schools.
It already is, and is covered by a very shit and boring subject called Religious Studies
_Kila_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 03:11   #15
Charjerk

Charjerk is infamous around these parts

Stephen Jay Gould : Rocks of Ages, Science and Religion in the Fullnes of life

One of the reviews

http://www.kenanmalik.com/reviews/gould_rocks.html
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 03:36   #16
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_Jakiri
The only real assumption you have to make, other than the axioms of logic and mathematics which can really be taken as a given as they're part of the language, is Occam's Razor, which is something fairly trivial to assume
Its trivial to accept Occams Razor's as being a decent heuristic, but this doesnt really shed any light on how to actually go about judging one theory as being 'simpler' (or to 'involve the postuation of fewer entities') than another. Things like 'simplicity' are not entirely objective criteria - they are likely to involve facts of human psychology which are going to be somewhat culture-dependent.

The evolution issue is a good example of why Occam's Razor is problematic. A theory which has the world coming into being (all fossil records intact etc) during a brief period of divine creation will, to a certain type of person, be a lot 'simpler' and involve fewer assumptions than modern evolutionary theory. Indeed, you only need to postulate a single theoretical entity (God), and you have explained the entire history of the world! However this ignores the main problem with Creationism, which is that conflicts with our desire to have a purely naturalistic description of the universe (although 'naturalism', in practice, often just means that we rule out the entities we dont want in advance). Frameworks which necessarily involves entities which are seen as supernatural are simply impossible to take seriously in today's world, and this owes quite a lot to cultural factors. The primary objection to creationism isnt that its demonstrably wrong or in conflict with some basic presuppositions of science such as Occams Razor - it's just impossible for a reasonably educated person in the 21st century to take it seriously, regardless of how 'simple' it is, or how many entities it posulates (I would imagine that most people object to MWI quantum mechanics for similar reasons). Ask a Christian to consider the possibility that the universe was spun by a giant spider, or that the Greek gods actually live on mount Olympus, and he will experience a similar feeling to the one we get when asked to accept Bibilical creation.

The basic facts of underdetermination do mean that we have to use some psychological criteria to choose between competiting theories, but this doesnt imply that its either easy or possible to judge which theory is 'simpler' in practice, unless we import a whole load of other assumptions and commitments which are not purely scientific in the sense you described.

Last edited by Nodrog; 4 Jan 2006 at 09:59.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 11:23   #17
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Its trivial to accept Occams Razor's as being a decent heuristic, but this doesnt really shed any light on how to actually go about judging one theory as being 'simpler' (or to 'involve the postuation of fewer entities') than another. Things like 'simplicity' are not entirely objective criteria - they are likely to involve facts of human psychology which are going to be somewhat culture-dependent.
To use the word "Simpler" is fairly counter-intuitive, because it has many unwanted connotations. Ignoring the comparatively impenitrable "do not multiply entities unnecessarily", an interpretation of Occam's Razor I find useful, especially when dealing with artists rather than scientists is "If it explains more things, it's better". This seems to get the general point across fairly well, although of course there are still significant problems, but they're, to some extent, dealt with by codifying things such as "Must deal with the same area of science" so that you don't get arguments of the "Which is better? Thermodynamics or the Standard model of quantum physics" variety.

Quote:
The evolution issue is a good example of why Occam's Razor is problematic. A theory which has the world coming into being (all fossil records intact etc) during a brief period of divine creation will, to a certain type of person, be a lot 'simpler' and involve fewer assumptions than modern evolutionary theory. Indeed, you only need to postulate a single theoretical entity (God), and you have explained the entire history of the world!
The existance of "God" was, I find it implausable to find otherwise, at some point a perfectly rational explanation of the universe with regards to observed evidence. Not that that kind of thing was really relevent before people like Galileo, as science was, as you said, just a subset of the greater philosophy with argument by argument rather than experiment. However, it's clear we've moved on from this, and if peoples' only problem is the wording of Occam's Razor it's not really significant to create a less interpretative version, although that of course assumes quite a lot about the scientific community's understanding of it when you're dealing at a scale above communication between individuals.

Quote:
However this ignores the main problem with Creationism, which is that conflicts with our desire to have a purely naturalistic description of the universe (although 'naturalism', in practice, often just means that we rule out the entities we dont want in advance).
That's not quite true, especially with evolution. There's a significant amount of evidence against (specifically) intelligent design and (more generally) creationism. It's more than just cultural hokum, although I won't deny that "God" is generally ruled out at the start. The closest I've seen in even vaguely "serious" science is the strong anthropic principle.

But noone cares about that.

Quote:
The basic facts of underdetermination do mean that we have to use some psychological criteria to choose between competiting theories, but this doesnt imply that its either easy or possible to judge which theory is 'simpler' in practice, unless we import a whole load of other assumptions and commitments which are not purely scientific in the sense you described.
In a theoretical situation, where we follow, say, Kuhn for structure, and every theory presented is correct as far as we can measure, this "problem" doesn't matter in the slightest. When your competition is between something which used to predict all observed phenomena and no longer does, and something which does, there's no real room for argument. Of course, that doesn't really help us, as it's a system which requires Occam's Razor or the like to already have been applied, but more generally the scientific philosophy of someone akin to Gould deals with most of these problems in cases where we're not quite so wishy-washy as we are in current quantum theory.
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 13:45   #18
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
The pro-ID camp claim that science is a philosophy, and ID is a philosophy, and they are both based on certain a priori assumptions. They say that it is not justified for the science crew to say that their assumptions are more valid than the ID camp's assumptions, and therefore ID should be taught in schools.
Regardless of whether aspects or the entirity of the two are philosophy or not, Science is taught because it is Science. One of the critical elements of science is that it is constantly subjected to the acid test of reality. In this sense science is a limited form of knowledge - So it is a philosophy, but limited through the core tenets that it must make testable predictions and be falsifiable. Any additional assumptions that are made (unless I am missing anything obvious, please feel free to point it out) are superfluous.

Intelligent Design however is not, it is pure conjecture. In the recent Dover vs Kitzmiller trial in the US, for which the trial transcripts and much analysis can be found here:
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/dove...r_v_dover.html

A particularly interesting bit of note here, is when one of the Expert witnesses for the defence, Prof. William Behe disagrees with the National Academies definition of science and redefines it to be much broader. this section starts about here:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/dove...tml#day11pm294

Behe admits that his definition includes the scientific definition of hypothesis:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/dove...tml#day11pm321

going as far as to admit that under his definition, even things like the Lumiferous Ether and Astrology are scientific theories:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/dove...tml#day11pm327

So this is not about the priori assumptions that are made, but whether ID is in fact science or not, and by the definitions that Behe has given here, and remember he is one of the world experts on ID (being one of the inventors), it just isn't science.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 14:06   #19
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
The evolution issue is a good example of why Occam's Razor is problematic. A theory which has the world coming into being (all fossil records intact etc) during a brief period of divine creation will, to a certain type of person, be a lot 'simpler' and involve fewer assumptions than modern evolutionary theory. Indeed, you only need to postulate a single theoretical entity (God), and you have explained the entire history of the world!
I can only see that as being correct if one wishes to completely ignore that there are an awful lot of characteristics to God, and the fact that God has to be added to everything else (the universe).
Quote:
However this ignores the main problem with Creationism, which is that conflicts with our desire to have a purely naturalistic description of the universe (although 'naturalism', in practice, often just means that we rule out the entities we dont want in advance).
Not really, because Creationism (and I am only referring to the Christian version here) also creates a number of theological problems, since it almost invariably ends up with God being a deciever and trickster, which is in conflict with the description of God in the Bible. All the main forms of Creationism I have seen involve God arbitrarily changing things, or arbitrarily breaking the laws of physics, for example Baumgardner's catastrophic plate tectonics, Humphreys' white hole, Arbitrarily changing radioactive decay rates, properties of hydrogen and things like those, and then rearranging everything so that it looks precisely a certain way.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 16:22   #20
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Edward
Not really, because Creationism (and I am only referring to the Christian version here) also creates a number of theological problems, since it almost invariably ends up with God being a deciever and trickster, which is in conflict with the description of God in the Bible. All the main forms of Creationism I have seen involve God arbitrarily changing things, or arbitrarily breaking the laws of physics, for example Baumgardner's catastrophic plate tectonics, Humphreys' white hole, Arbitrarily changing radioactive decay rates, properties of hydrogen and things like those, and then rearranging everything so that it looks precisely a certain way.
Maybe he's a freemason.
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 16:32   #21
TheBerk
dazed and confused

TheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant future

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable.

Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table.

David Hume could out-consume
Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel,

And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel.

There's nothing Nietzche couldn't teach ya
'Bout the raising of the wrist.
Socrates, himself, was permanently pissed.

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will,
On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill.

Plato, they say, could stick it away--
Half a crate of whisky every day.

Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle.
Hobbes was fond of his dram,

And René Descartes was a drunken fart.
'I drink, therefore I am.'

Yes, Socrates, himself, is particularly missed,
A lovely little thinker,
But a bugger when he's pissed.
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 16:39   #22
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quiet mark.

(sorry in-joke :((((( )
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 17:26   #23
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Maybe he's a freemason.
He's definitely not a rosicrucian.
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 17:37   #24
Charjerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBerk
Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable.

Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table.

David Hume could out-consume
Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel ............

“Innovators and men of genius have almost always been regarded as fools at the beginning (and very often at the end) of their careers.” Dostoyevsky
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 17:54   #25
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm glad that someone is quoting dostoyevsky, we have had a dearth of russian literature here for too long!

I think enough people think that monty python are men of genius anyway though, unless you're talking about Hegel
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 18:01   #26
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charjerk
“Innovators and men of genius have almost always been regarded as fools at the beginning (and very often at the end) of their careers.” Dostoyevsky
I'm pretty sure I can replace you with a bot.
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 18:03   #27
Charjerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
I'm glad that someone is quoting dostoyevsky, we have had a dearth of russian literature here for too long!

I think enough people think that monty python are men of genius anyway though, unless you're talking about Hegel
They are the real men of genius. I love monty pyton. Hegel is good if you want to die early as the science of interconnections requires an imbalanced mixture of genius and madness to understand and contribute.
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 18:03   #28
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

talking of Monty Python I was made to watch the Holy Grail a few nights ago. On the DVD there was a special feature which a brought up subtitles to a Shakesphere play to coincide with the movie.

Is that a joke or was the Holy Grail actually based on a Shakesphere play?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 18:06   #29
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
They are the real men of genius. I love monty pyton. Hegel is good if you want to die early as the science of interconnections requires an imbalanced mixture of genius and madness to understand and contribute.
It's like you read my mind.

It's not something I would advise.
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 18:07   #30
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
talking of Monty Python I was made to watch the Holy Grail a few nights ago. On the DVD there was a special feature which a brought up subtitles to a Shakesphere play to coincide with the movie.

Is that a joke or was the Holy Grail actually based on a Shakesphere play?
I think they just linked them in after the fact for purposes of randomness and amusement.

Also just for the laugh

“One can know a man from his laugh, and if you like a man's laugh before you know anything of him, you may confidently say that he is a good man.” - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 19:07   #31
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Dostoyevsky was a fool!

To me, something which can be proved or disproved is science. If something can be neither proven or disproven, then it is philosophy. God can never be proven or disproven. It/he/she is philosophy.

[b]AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT[b]

Last night I went to a basketball game. At half time there was a band. One of the selections which they played was one of the mainstays of Monty Python. All the people near me looked at each other and almost simultaneously said, "And now for something completely different."

Last edited by dda; 4 Jan 2006 at 19:10. Reason: another thought
dda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 19:34   #32
Charjerk

[quote=dda]Dostoyevsky was a fool!

To me, something which can be proved or disproved is science. If something can be neither proven or disproven, then it is philosophy. God can never be proven or disproven. It/he/she is philosophy.

----------

Friend, I am not going to even try to explain, defend philosophy and refute your ideas. Those who spent all their life writing and thinking philosophy were not fools. Do yourself a favour and please read. If you are able to talk about many things so openly in forums and in other contexts, it is thanks to the people who did their best to reveal the underlying assumptions / logic of human life and behaviour. It is not only thanks to those who gave their life for freedom throughout human history. Freedom is locked behind so many doors, but philosophical knowledge is one of the keys that can set you free.

The problem is not whether God exists or not. What matters is why human beings need to believe in a God, and the modus operandi of religion.
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 19:37   #33
JonnyBGood
Banned

I used to think hell would be an endless will and grace rerun but now I'm leaning towards being stuck for eternity in a room with charjerk.
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 19:46   #34
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I used to think hell would be an endless will and grace rerun but now I'm leaning towards being stuck for eternity in a room with charjerk.
I'm not sure if his long-winded misinterpretations are an argument for or against him being an actual person.
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 20:37   #35
Charjerk

"I never tried to please the rabble. What pleased them, I did not learn; and what I knew was far removed from their understanding" Epicurus
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 20:40   #36
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

are you calling us rabble?

Forsooth sir! I am wounded!
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 20:43   #37
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
"I never tried to please the rabble. What pleased them, I did not learn; and what I knew was far removed from their understanding" Epicurus
IS THERE A SINGLE ORIGINAL THOUGHT FLOATING AROUND INSIDE THAT POXED VESSEL I SHUDDER TO CALL YOUR BRAIN?
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 20:51   #38
Charjerk

[quote=Charjerk]"I never tried to please the rabble. What pleased them, I did not learn; and what I knew was far removed from their understanding" Epicurus[/QUOTe

No I can't call you rabble myself. I just did not want to make any changes in the original quotation. I am called wordy and other things I do not understand. It just best explains my situation I think. I am different, that is clear. If I misinterpret something it has to be explained and if it is right I will apologise for mistake. JonnyBGood, why do not you obey the laws of your nature and hibernate until summer.

I like quotations is all.
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 20:53   #39
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Whoevers idea it was to mix some quotefinding mechanism with babelfish and "see what would happen" you can stop now.
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 20:56   #40
Charjerk

Quote:
Whoevers idea it was to mix some quotefinding mechanism with babelfish and "see what would happen" you can stop now.
What does this mean in English.
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 21:00   #41
JonnyBGood
Banned

You're not wordy, if you were wordy you would have described yourself as excessively verbose. You're a gibbering fool of a half-assed gimmick account. Far too many of your posts are either links to magazine articles or quotations. As Ralph Waldo Emerson said "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." (a quote about why quotations are shit, hurray!)

I didn't get your hibernation remark but at least you seem to have come up with that yourself thank ****ing christ. That said you include the words "the laws of your nature" in there so it's not that good. Maybe a C+. Thanks for trying though, much love in the bum.
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 21:06   #42
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Quote:
What does this mean in English.
I hope squirrels chew through your internet cables.
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 21:06   #43
Charjerk

Quote:
You're not wordy, if you were wordy you would have described yourself as excessively verbose. You're a gibbering fool of a half-assed gimmick account. Far too many of your posts are either links to magazine articles or quotations. As Ralph Waldo Emerson said "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." (a quote about why quotations are shit, hurray!)

I didn't get your hibernation remark but at least you seem to have come up with that yourself thank ****ing christ. That said you include the words "the laws of your nature" in there so it's not that good. Maybe a C+. Thanks for trying though, much love in the bum.
I am free to express any ideas in any format I want. I feel that some people explained things so well that I do not even need to add anything or paraphrase or change in anyway. I am not perfect. And bad english is making things worse. You are those things that I would not even want to understand for you ahve no desire to respect difference. Sod off.
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 21:08   #44
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I am free to express any ideas in any format I want. I feel that some people explained things so well that I do not even need to add anything or paraphrase or change in anyway. I am not perfect. And bad english is making things worse. You are those things that I would not even want to understand for you ahve no desire to respect difference. Sod off.
it's not that you're 'different' it's just that you're 'not very good'.

like emo kids.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 21:10   #45
QazokRouge5
Back from timeout.

QazokRouge5 is a jewel in the roughQazokRouge5 is a jewel in the roughQazokRouge5 is a jewel in the rough

I agree with JBG (for once). Everything has a philosophy, and it is indeed a broadly used term.

Christians have philosophy, refrain from sinning.
Doctors have philosophy, preserve life.
Scientists have philosophy, to learn by the numbers and prove by them.
Serial killers have philosophy, precise, repetitive killing.
Pilots have a philosophy, don't crash.

I could go on and on but you get the idea. Philosophy is merely a set of standards that people attempt to guide themselves by, and as such it should not attempt to define one particular aspect of life.
Quote:
Originally posted by Yahwe
Gay ducks only do it because it impresses their peers.
QazokRouge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 21:11   #46
Charjerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
it's not that you're 'different' it's just that you're 'not very good'.

like emo kids.
Not very good in what. You do not have to agree with my .... ideas, They are me, good or bad.

The important thing is the essence / logic of a message or quotation does not matter who says it. I never shared the logic of stupid British / American empiricism.

Last edited by Charjerk; 4 Jan 2006 at 21:22.
Charjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 21:26   #47
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Actually you're not. I'll ban you if you're really shit. I'm also confused by the other account though.
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 21:37   #48
Charjerk

Quote:
Actually you're not. I'll ban you if you're really shit. I'm also confused by the other account though.
I am not going to suffer this verbal abuse any longer. My writings are not aimed at offending anybody, and my only purpose is to explain myself in different ways. Instead of concentrating on what I am saying/ trying to say / you lot focus on how I am expressing it and the tools I use. Your immorality is amazing. I am not going anywhere does not matter how much you shout and post until you tear apart your own ass. I am just right in everything I am saying. If the cap fits wear it.
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 21:38   #49
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Quote:
I am not going to suffer this verbal abuse any longer. My writings are not aimed at offending anybody, and my only purpose is to explain myself in different ways. Instead of concentrating on what I am saying/ trying to say / you lot focus on how I am expressing it and the tools I use. Your immorality is amazing. I am not going anywhere does not matter how much you shout and post until you tear apart your own ass. I am just right in everything I am saying. If the cap fits wear it.
yeah but, remember:

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 21:43   #50
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
It's not that I'll shout and post it's that I'll ban you. I dislike your dishonesty.