User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions

Unread 3 Jun 2005, 16:58   #1
zen
zenguard

zen has a spectacular aura aboutzen has a spectacular aura about
Vive la F-crew

I'd like to know if you are doing a good job training noobs to this game. Can you guys tell any approximations of the number of people being trained and moved to rank-aiming alliances this round?

Training beginners is a good deed for the community - therefore Vive la F-Crew!
r15 Subh Member

"Siinä tapauksessa etenemme täydellä tuuppausvoimalla tuikutusetäisyydelle"
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2005, 17:52   #2
Goatsemaster
Just like science!

Goatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Vive la F-crew

I always figured second-tier alliances like Elysium fostered more third/fourth generation top players than f-crew.
Unread 3 Jun 2005, 19:53   #3
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Its a diffucult question to answer tbh but I will try my best. When people leave an alliance they are rarely that forthcoming especially when they already know where they are going (Many indicate they are denied revealing by their new alliance)

This round we have had 149 people pass through our doors all from a variety of experiances levels. We have ever presents, brand new players, returning players and even some more used to being at the top who want something less hectic and personal and want to help give something more back to the game.

These are only rought estimates as its not something I actually records in the members database (after all just because someone has 5 rounds experiance doesnt mena they need less training than a single round player) but I would say the break down would be something like
Code:
Experianced --------------------------- 10%
Returning Players (Pre PAX) ----------- 20%
New since PAX ------------------------- 40%
Brand New Players  -------------------- 30%
This equates to roughly

Code:
Experianced --------------------------- 15 people
Returning Players (Pre PAX) ----------- 30 "
New since PAX  ------------------------ 60 "
Brand New Players  -------------------- 45 "
The majority of those ive included in new since PAX started last round, and are as such pretty green and the returning players obviously had alot to pick up since they left

Now our turnover rate during the round is at around 34%, a marked improveent over other rounds, i'm not sure really why its been so relativly low but its been of benift to everyone as we havent been losing the players we train as quickly which means they are able to then help pass the info they learn plus they get longer to devekop being being thrown into the tough world of top alliance membership. We actually hope to keep alot of them on next round so they can pass their skills onto the next batch

Now our better membership retention hasnt effected our ability to bring new people in. We havent had to turn anyone away for lack of space reasons. Even with what others would call lax removal of inactives we are able to fidn spaces for anyone who wants one. Theres always enough people who reject any attempt to help them by not putting any effort in to help themselves. If they dont turn up on irc or respond to ingame messages after around a week even we have to give up on them (amazing how many proceed though to complain when you kick them for these reasons)

Now this is where it gets hard to put figures onto things, how many have gone up to a 'better' alliance. If i'm totally honest theres only around 5 of the 52 who have left that I can say for certain went onto better places. The figures for leaving go as follows

Code:
Better'	 ------------------------  9%
Claimed Better but unknown ------ 30%
No reason  ----------------------  7%
Deleted by Game  ---------------- 20%
Kicked  ------------------------- 25%
Other  --------------------------  9%
or in player numbers

Code:
Better'	 ------------------------  5 People
Claimed Better but unknown ------ 18 "
No reason  ----------------------  4 "
Deleted by Game  ---------------- 12 "
Kicked  ------------------------- 15 "
Other  --------------------------  5 "
Of the people whom went to better alliances. They were as follows

Code:
Veneratio ------ 2 people
ToF ------------ 1 "
NoS ------------ 1 "
SiNND ---------- 1 "
Now I know even with the unconfirmed people it doesnt seem alot and as I've said we have done a better job at retaining players this round, thats somewhat reflected in our score being around 200mill better than it was last round, a whopping 130% improvement at the time of writing. Obviously players are feeling able to stay around and prepare for the big alliances longer than in the past

You also have to understand that since start of PAX we have traditionally been looking at a membership wastage around the 70-80% mark. In reality over the last few rounds we have been rebuilding the alliance at the start of each round around experiance core of 20 or so members. While all indications show us that this will be alot less for next round this will be where most of the upwards movements will most likly happen. I'm personally expecting around half the current members either not return to PA next round or move on up the rankings. Certainly I'm budgeting for a membership around the 40-50 member mark at the start of next round. We still have a bunch of pretty green players who have only started playing in the last few weeks whom have indicated they will stay on to continue their 'education' next round, we also have a bunch of players who have had over half a rounds training whom have also stated they would like to stay on whom we will be start building up some of the more advanced skills readying them to take command positions either with us or elsewhere by the rime r15 comes around and we also have a number whom are joing the command team at various levels after impressing us this round.

And finally just to explain some of the other leaving stats. The No Reason is obvious, they left no quit reason and wouldnt respond to enquires as to why. The deleted by the game people are on the whole people who were inactive, because we really try and give people a chance and will persistantly mail them in an attempt to help we often dont get them kicked before the inactivity purge happens. I know 20% seems pretty high and we maybe should be a bit quicker but in the past some of the slowest to get responding turned into some of our best members so we would rather take our time with them. The kicked stat is as it suggests members we kicked, 1 of these being the APA spy/multi and the rest being paid accounts whom had gone inactive. Finally the other were over various issues or disputes, these were
1 - Various disagreement with the HC
2 - Unhappy about losing out on an attack even though jpg were provided and recall notice issued
3 - Unhappy with lack of defence
4 - Didnt have time to commit to an alliance
5 - Broke the rules on claiming attacks (basically didnt claim and proceeded to land on fully claimed planets a tick before everyone else) and didnt take kindly to a tslap on the wrists

The above leaving stats do emit one person. Alot of people do leave F-Crew yet down the line find their way back to us, however none have done it as quickly as Keg. He quit after a disagreement with a fellow member. By the time his 72 hour wait wa sup he was back. Now alot of that was probally due to the mass mailing campaign that was conducted as a Task of the day. Exactly why he came back though when these messages often compared him to "old fat dogs" I dont know but it did.

And my final stat is number of accounts we upgraded. Between the alliance a grand total of 27 unpaid planets were upgraded (not including people whom bought at the start with that person in mind, just credits bought with the intention of handing them out when needed). This could have been around 40 but it was deemed pointless upgrading people in the last few weeks due to it being so close to the end of round. These spare credits will instead go towards more upgraded next round.

Anway hope this answers your questions
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 06:01   #4
zen
zenguard

zen has a spectacular aura aboutzen has a spectacular aura about

aye, it's a good answer
r15 Subh Member

"Siinä tapauksessa etenemme täydellä tuuppausvoimalla tuikutusetäisyydelle"
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2005, 06:25   #5
notsure
[TGV] Wots It

notsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to behold

While many alliances shy away from the title of "Training Alliance" it's nice to see one that not only accepts the title - but fully embrases it.

Well done to F-Crew for the effort they put into helping new players learn the ropes...without the grounding that they receive here, I believe that many would not get the chance to go on to the "bigger & better" things they want to do.

Unread 5 Jun 2005, 02:36   #6
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

Your retention rate is over ~70%. With that being said, although the "training" platform of F-Crew is very impressing and admirable, the very high retention rate might defeat the F-Crew mission of training new players because one way or the other, you will reach the maximum member count, leaving the other new players to end up in serious alliances that they might not be ready for yet.

I was wondering if you allow your members to stay for more that 1 round, etc.

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 15:07   #7
Rocko

Rocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of light

It's ok, if ever F-crew got full, we cud kick keg out for a couple of days untill we found room :P
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 20:36   #8
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

I've been in 3 'active' galaxies this round, including Virall's, and there's been F-Crew in each one of them. All of them have been active, have contributed, and seem to know what theyr'e doing. Several of them I know are new players - so F-Crew must be training them well
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 02:29   #9
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by demiGOD
Your retention rate is over ~70%. With that being said, although the "training" platform of F-Crew is very impressing and admirable, the very high retention rate might defeat the F-Crew mission of training new players because one way or the other, you will reach the maximum member count, leaving the other new players to end up in serious alliances that they might not be ready for yet.

Our retention rate over the round is fairly high but as I said in the post it isnt too much of a problem. We do encourage members to try and see out the round with us so they can help pass what they learnt on to others and unless they have a real reason for leaving most do oblige. This coupled with the fact that most dont want to risk being allianceless for 72hours does mean that most movement happens between rounds rather than during the actual round

Also our kind of alliance does attract a fair few applicants whom despite our best efforts doesnt want to put any effort into helping themselves. As I explained in the original reply this does mean we always have some room for manouver when it comes to making space

Virall: While I would like to take all the credit the "appears" part is vital in your reply. I certainly dont run the alliance alone and without the valuable contribution the other HC and commanders make the alliance wouldnt really function. What often gives the view that I'm doing it singlehandedly is probally my lack of specifc role, while others have their role set in stone mines one thats very flexiable. What exactly my role is is very hard to define, probally the closest thing to a specific role I have would be to say i'm very much a figurehead and overseer. This in itself is a very public role so highlights what I'm doing but when you throw in the fact that I do whats needed so am normally a few other roles makes my activities. Some of the other peoples roles are simply not that public, but no less importat or intensive,
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 15:17   #10
MysticYoshi
Pretty

MysticYoshi is an unknown quantity at this point

F-Crew are pretty (mainly because of me tho), and are a great alliance to be in as they take things seriously but not so seriously that it doesn't become fun anymore.

Perhaps one of the best things is seeing Wakey post/type the longest sentances in the world ever to what was seeminly quite a simple question ;) Or Keg trying to break the world record for least attacks landed in a round, along with going in rival alliances chat rooms and seeing the insults and banter fly between the alliances :P
MysticYoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 16:03   #11
notsure
[TGV] Wots It

notsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to behold

Yes you guys seem to make #[apa] just a little bit more fun...and I know Bodders at least tries to return the favour in #f-crew
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 17:17   #12
Bodders

Bodders has a spectacular aura aboutBodders has a spectacular aura aboutBodders has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsure
Yes you guys seem to make #[apa] just a little bit more fun...and I know Bodders at least tries to return the favour in #f-crew
Well if i knew i was not guaranted to be kick just for going in there i would do alot better
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 00:28   #13
tombcfc
thomus always sober...

tombcfc is an unknown quantity at this point

lol, dont worry bodders i got banned for no reason either, i really should get keg back for that he spends to much in our chan as it is.......well im just too nice (and drunk to remember) so i wont
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 11:31   #14
The_Mad_Keg
Fat *******

The_Mad_Keg is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mad_Keg is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mad_Keg is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mad_Keg is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mad_Keg is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mad_Keg is a splendid one to behold

heh i gotta get my revenge, i get kicked from [apa] more than ive kicked u from #f-crew for end of round quiz however u will be allowed in
<Rocko> so reincarnation is like getting ABSOLUTLEY wankered when u die

[F-Crew] - You known when youve been [FC]ucked
The_Mad_Keg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 2005, 12:14   #15
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by demiGOD
Just realised I never did reply to this bit. Anyway yes we do allow members to stay for more than 1 round. Retaining some of your trainees is actually vital for any alliance with a goal to train others because without these people your core of experiance which you draw on for training will eventually evaporate. Idealy we would like to keep most members for atleast two rounds as this is how many rounds we feel we really need to really train them, one to get them full comfortable with all the skills needed to be a good PA Player and then one round to get them trained in the advanced skills such a DCing which builds on their skills. In fact for many the second year might even be more important than the first because some of them will simply not get the chance to learn these skills in the near future elsewhere. Also by staying on they help the alliance and the game by being able to pass on what they learnt the round before.

Anyway we are hoping for r14 to retain around 40 members, not all of them will have had a full round with us but its enough to build a good core to help bring another batch of players through in r14
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 13 Jun 2005, 14:30   #16
Markie
“The Waterslide Yeti”

Markie can only hope to improve

We have players who told us they would stay but that's always a tricky thing. Not everybody will be able to play next round or might still join another alliance. The best thing is we got a group of members who are really commited to [F-Crew] and they help us in the training as Wakey said earlier. These are also the guys who told us they would stay and most of them even applied for the different position as scanners/cov. oppers/ etc.

The only one who has been a pain in the ass was Keglomaniac so we gave him control over recruitment. To keep him busy with recruits instead of bugging other members and people in #[apa].

Former F-Crew Laziest HC
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jun 2005, 17:42   #17
berzerker
Professional AlcoFrolic

berzerker has a spectacular aura aboutberzerker has a spectacular aura aboutberzerker has a spectacular aura about

its a good job kegs recruiting, his end of round score was amusing. until he kicked me numerous times from irc :/
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 13:55   #18
hylands
The beertender

hylands is on a distinguished road

well well F-crew sitll makes it name true seen as i was one of them for half round 12 and half round 13 . was fun but wakey you know why i left
r14 Veneratio later vengeance
r15-r20Vengeance HC(r19-20)
r21 finally piece and quiet(round off)
r22 rehired at Vengeance as BC
r23 EXI scorp whore
r24 to 27 XVX
r27 to 31 Vengeance HC
r32 till now Tides of Vengeance spirit
hylands is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 15:50   #19
Rocko

Rocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of light

your first post hylands????? and u come to an f-crew thread how nice
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 15:58   #20
hylands
The beertender

hylands is on a distinguished road

well you know i needed soemwhere to post
r14 Veneratio later vengeance
r15-r20Vengeance HC(r19-20)
r21 finally piece and quiet(round off)
r22 rehired at Vengeance as BC
r23 EXI scorp whore
r24 to 27 XVX
r27 to 31 Vengeance HC
r32 till now Tides of Vengeance spirit
hylands is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jun 2005, 18:57   #21
The_Mad_Keg
Fat *******

The_Mad_Keg is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mad_Keg is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mad_Keg is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mad_Keg is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mad_Keg is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mad_Keg is a splendid one to behold

heh leave me alone markie, least i did summin other than run around in shorts scaring children and for that and other pics check the gallery
<Rocko> so reincarnation is like getting ABSOLUTLEY wankered when u die

[F-Crew] - You known when youve been [FC]ucked
The_Mad_Keg is offline   Reply With Quote