User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Roleplaying

Unread 12 May 2004, 03:03   #1
dragonsjem
Darkling's WIFE

dragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to all
Sharks of the Spanish Main

The year is 1637. The place: the high seas. The Spanish have a strong trade monopoly in the Caribbean and the other naval powers want their share. The English, the French, the Dutch have been commissioning sailors to act as pirates to lessen the burdon of welth of the Spanish.

The Spanish sailors duty is protect the gold and goods heading to Spain. The English and Dutch want to make sure that doesn't happen. Win a fight come home a hero. Lose the fight, face the consequences as a pirate. A seemly difficult occupation embraced by many for fame and welth and love of their country.

Ports of refuge lie among the many islands. Most ports belonging to the Spanish. Port Royal and Tortuga the strongholds of the English and Dutch. Ports of safety, ports of supplies, ports of support, and ports from which to attack the ship that goes off course.

The purpose of the thread is the attack the opposing sides (English and Dutch are allies of convience) and defend their mother country and basically come out ahead in gold and strongest ship....or be the last one standing as may happen. The outcomes of battles will be determined on RPing ability and smart thinking and a few stats (Yes i had to give in to figure out outcome of battles). There will be time for treasure hording, exploring, and wenching. The number of ships will be determined by those interested and then will be paired up by your choice (I know people weren't all happy before.)

Post interest and side: Spanish navy (semi-rouge), English pirates, Dutch pirates

As partners you will decide what type of ship you wish to use (fast, average, slow but better built) and the amount of supplies and weapons you chose.

Ship choices:
Fast and maneuverable but smaller with weaker hulls: "Fishing Rark", "Tartan", "Dutch Hoy" <--move about 50 miles an hour in good wind

Average speed, average strength: "Bilander", "Snow", "Galliot", "Brigatine" <--moves about 40 miles an hour

Slower and harder to manuverable but more durable and can carry more: "Brig", "Herring Buss", "French Shallop" <--moves about 30 miles an hour

Pictures of these ships can be found here: http://www.piratesinfo.com/detail/d...p?article_id=48
http://www.piratesinfo.com/detail/de...?article_id=48

Weapons:

Cannons: there should be 3 types of cannons; 9 inch guns, standard 5 inch guns and the small swivel 3 inch guns<--decreases speed 1 mile an hour per biggest, 1 per 2 med., and 1 per 3 small cannons

Cannonballs: decrease a ships speed by 1 miles per hour per 10 cannonballs.
Powder: 1 mph per 3 barrels: 1 barrel can work 5 big guns for one fight, 10 med for one fight and 20 small guns for one fight..

Supplies:
Fresh water for a week: decrease speed by 2 miles per hour
Fruit to prevent scurvy for a week: .1/2 mile per hour
Food supplies for a week: 1 miles per hour

[Additional: Treasure chests (full): 2 miles per hour each
There could be more stats much we want to keep it less complicated.

Go here for more information on the ports, parts of the ships and other infomation on pirates: http://www.piratesinfo.com/detail/detail.php

Once partners are chosen decide who is captain and who is first mate and chose and stock your ship.

* tiger uses the ultimate way in, trough the water pipes
* Shadowhawk idly points out that this is #rpgal, the pipes are probably blocked from all the bs that you come up with.

Last edited by dragonsjem; 12 May 2004 at 03:10.
dragonsjem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 May 2004, 03:18   #2
Spritely Zombie
Gokan Re... Um... undead?

Spritely Zombie will become famous soon enoughSpritely Zombie will become famous soon enough
Re: Sharks of the Spanish Main

Captain of a fast or average militarily disciplined privateer. Or else first mate of an average or heavy true dark and dirty pirate ship. English either way.
Spritely Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 May 2004, 03:23   #3
dragonsjem
Darkling's WIFE

dragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to all

You will be piravateers more than pirates but when i comes down to it, there isn't much difference or else Spanish naval.

* Shadowhawk idly points out that this is #rpgal, the pipes are probably blocked from all the bs that you come up with.
Unread 12 May 2004, 03:24   #4
Spritely Zombie
Gokan Re... Um... undead?

Spritely Zombie will become famous soon enoughSpritely Zombie will become famous soon enough

Tis the flavour of the thing... ... ... ... Arr!
Spritely Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 May 2004, 10:33   #5
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

ooc/ may i kindly note that if you're using 3 different types of cannons, wouldn't you also have 3 different types of cannonballs? It seems obvious that big 9 inch cannonballs are a lot heavier then 3 inch cannonballs /ooc

oh and, dutch, on a Dutch hoy, even tough that's not what i was originally planning to use

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 May 2004, 12:19   #6
Walrus
Paster of Muppets

Walrus is infamous around these partsWalrus is infamous around these parts

I'm almost tempted to join, just so I can be a member of the Spanish navy in makeup (well, semi-rouge anyway)
Unread 12 May 2004, 16:07   #7
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold

English for me... and I'll take the "BRIG" style of vessel (which really is not that big funnily enough).

"One hour of thinking is better than 70 years of divine service."
- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 May 2004, 16:50   #8
Heiro
'Mael'

Heiro is on a distinguished road

English, Small, manouverable and quick.

Also gives us more mph with guns
Unread 12 May 2004, 17:54   #9
Fishbone

Fishbone will become famous soon enoughFishbone will become famous soon enough

I'll take Spanish with a Galliot...
Fishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 May 2004, 20:25   #10
Zorro
Awaiting RP Revival

Zorro is on a distinguished road

spanish, brigantine

--Mark Twain

Last edited by Zorro; 14 May 2004 at 04:19.
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 2004, 21:40   #11
Disrupter
Sniping pigeons

Disrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to all

The purpose of this thread (at least in my understanding) is to FIGHT the spanish as either Dutch or English. Dont all hop for spanish cause they start good.

BTW i will be you co-DM for this thread so please be seated, and keep your hands, feet, tusks, and all other body parts inside the vehcal while it is in motion. Thankyou and enjoy the ride.
Unread 14 May 2004, 04:21   #12
Zorro
Awaiting RP Revival

it looks like the current count is 4 english 3 spanish, so its balanced so far....if everyone plays

--Mark Twain
Unread 14 May 2004, 10:03   #13
flapjack
crashed computer

well, i count 3 english, 3 spanish and 1 dutch :P

Unread 14 May 2004, 13:15   #14
Zappa Tenderlea
Grote Boze Rocker

Zappa Tenderlea is infamous around these partsZappa Tenderlea is infamous around these parts

And A Scotsman!

I have but one wish: to see you all rot in hell before I trade this life for eternity

The truth can't hurt you, it's just like the dark, it scares you wittless, but in time you see things clear and stark
Zappa Tenderlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 May 2004, 17:10   #15
Zorro
Awaiting RP Revival

technicalities............ :/

--Mark Twain
Unread 18 May 2004, 05:22   #16
dragonsjem
Darkling's WIFE

okay enough with the neurotic stats nit picking :P. We have enough people although it's still open if others wish to join.

English: Spritely Zombie, Hewitt, Heiro, Bakan, Zappa
Dutch: flapjack
Spanish: Walrus, Zorro, Fishbone

As there isn't a large amout of people partnering up is up to you. You may all be captains. However any futher joiners will have to become firstmate to the above RPers.

Go ahead and load your ships once you decide on whether or not your want a partner. Also create your pirate chars. Name, Appearance, Area of fighting expertise if any, History (have fun). Feel free to make your own pirate symbol flag too.

Last edited by dragonsjem; 19 May 2004 at 17:09.
Unread 18 May 2004, 06:41   #17
Zorro
Awaiting RP Revival

Name: Diego De La Vega ooc/ hey, its better than "eduardo martinez" /ooc
History: Diego, with his nobility, was quickly named as a Commodore of a Spanish merchant fleet that brought gold back from the New World. On one trip home his fleet was attacked by English Sea Dogs. Using cunning tactics to fend them off, his crew nicknamed him "The Fox", or "Zorro". Watching his 2nd in command, and best friend, Agustin Nunez, die at the hand of a pirate during the battle, Zorro vowed to rid the world of their scourge once and for all. Using a brigantine from his family's fleet, the Rebelde, he obtained authority from the King to hang the enemies of Spain. His brigantine flies the flag of Spain, as well as his own flag, bearing the insignia of a fox.

CARGO (Initial Speed 40mph)
6 Medium Cannon (I presume that these would also have a longer range?)
4 Medium Cannon -2mph
50 Cannonballs -5mph
3 barrels of gunpowder -1mph
2 week water -4
2 week food -2
2 week fruit -1

Speed: 26mph

*His ship having recently arrived in Havana, Zorro looks out from bow of his ship at the beauty of the Carribean. His men were all spending their money at the local tavern, having just completed the restocking process. The month it took to cross the Atlantic to get here had just filled the crew with so much anticipation, and now they were finally here. Zorro goes over the checklist in preparation to sail.*

--Mark Twain

Last edited by Zorro; 21 May 2004 at 04:44.
Unread 18 May 2004, 20:16   #18
Zappa Tenderlea
Grote Boze Rocker

Zappa Tenderlea is infamous around these partsZappa Tenderlea is infamous around these parts

ok then, I'm not joining, fine...

I have but one wish: to see you all rot in hell before I trade this life for eternity

The truth can't hurt you, it's just like the dark, it scares you wittless, but in time you see things clear and stark
Unread 19 May 2004, 04:19   #19
dragonsjem
Darkling's WIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappa Tenderlea
And A Scotsman!
Was that an interest post???? I thought it was a joke. If you are interested I'll add you to the list of captains.

Unread 19 May 2004, 10:10   #20
Zappa Tenderlea
Grote Boze Rocker

tsss... you should know better than to think I'd joke about stuff.... I'm deadserious all the time!

*cough*

neways, remember that interestthread you made all those months ago? wasn't I in there, being interested?

Unread 19 May 2004, 15:03   #21
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsjem
Slower and harder to manuverable but more durable and can carry more: "Brig", "Herring Buss", "French Shallop" <--moves about 30 miles an hour
By "can carry more" do you mean these ship types can hold a certain amount of gear without speed penalty?

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 19 May 2004, 17:07   #22
dragonsjem
Darkling's WIFE

I know you did Zappa, but so did others who haven't posted now. But i've added you to the list of captains.

Hewitt, I meant more men mostly. Although I think I forgot to add something I meant to:
All ships get cannons to begin with without penalty:
small ships: 2 large cannons or the equivalent.
medium ships: 3 large cannons or the equivalent
large ships: 4 large cannons or the equivalent

Unread 19 May 2004, 19:46   #23
Fishbone

Fishbone will become famous soon enoughFishbone will become famous soon enough

Galliot = 40mph
3 large cannons (no penalty)
1 large cannon extra = -1 mph
4 medium cannon extra = -2 mph
3 barrels of gunpowder = -1 mph
20 cannonballs = -2 mph

Fresh water for 5 weeks = -10 mph
Fruit for 4 weeks = -2 mph
Food for 5 weeks = -5 mph
Treasure Chest = -2 mph

Total speed: 15 mph

I'll do history later.
Fishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2004, 17:55   #24
dragonsjem
Darkling's WIFE

Just want to remind people that this thread is taking place around the Carribean and various island ports for both the pirates and the Spanish navy. Also, you will be able to take on more supplies as needed with the penalties ofc as well as weapons and such.

Unread 20 May 2004, 19:08   #25
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

The RAVEN

Ship Class: Brig (Large)

Armament
10x 9-inch cannon (-6 mph)

Powder room
3 Barrels of powder (-1 mph)
20 Cannonballs (-2 mph)

Galley
2 weeks water (-4 mph)
2 weeks fruit (-1 mph)
2 weeks food (-2 mph)

TOP SPEED - 14 mph

char later

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 20 May 2004, 20:59   #26
flapjack
crashed computer

name: Flapjack

ship:
ship name: <as of yet, undetermined>
ship class: Dutch hoy
arnaments: 6 9-inch cannons -4 mph

supplies:
30 9-inch cannonballs -3 mph
3 barrels of gunpowder -1 mph
2 weeks water -4 mph
2 weeks fruit -1 mph
2 weeks food -2 mph

top speed -- 35 mph

I believe that makes me by far the fastest ship around.

ooc/ I'd still like to complain about the constant weight of cannonballs, food and water. Since a small ship would have less crew to feed and small guns use small cannonballs and thus much lighter cannonballs, if this were to change, I'd probably load out with light cannons because that's more like this ship./ooc

Unread 21 May 2004, 04:47   #27
Zorro
Awaiting RP Revival

ooc/ ok i edited my post to included all the gory stats. yo ho ho and a bottle of rum! /ooc

--Mark Twain
Unread 27 May 2004, 20:23   #28
Zorro
Awaiting RP Revival

People, post your characters (history, etc) so the thread can start plz!

*Zorro goes to the tavern to get his men off their lazy butts and ready to sail*

--Mark Twain
Unread 27 May 2004, 20:58   #29
Disrupter
Sniping pigeons

Disrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to all

Here here Zorro! Get off your butts and RP yee hooligans! Or ill make u walk the plank etc.
Unread 27 May 2004, 22:33   #30
dragonsjem
Darkling's WIFE

well...least make your characters so we can start the thread

*Takes the plank away from her co-DM* Now now don't threaten the RPers with walking the plank when keel-hauling is so much more fun.

Unread 27 May 2004, 22:58   #31
flapjack
crashed computer

Hey, I already have the basis of my character... And most of his history btw, just haven't finished it yet. Will do tomorrow

Unread 1 Jun 2004, 04:55   #32
Zorro
Awaiting RP Revival

/me stands at the helm of his ship and hears an odd sound........he looks up and sees an airplane. apparently he has been waiting for his ship to leave the port for quite some time.........

--Mark Twain
Unread 2 Jun 2004, 03:21   #33
Disrupter
Sniping pigeons

disrupter adjusts the spyglass for zorro and points out the fact that the plane has just broken the earth's gravitational pull, indicating a space vehical of sorts, and by the looks of it, a shuttle.
Unread 2 Jun 2004, 05:01   #34
Zorro
Awaiting RP Revival

*Zorro borrows a specialized spyglass from the astronauts, who land/crash their spacecraft into the water next to his ship and watches people walk around on the moon as it rises. Obviously there have been advances in the telescope industry since he started waiting*

--Mark Twain
Unread 2 Jun 2004, 20:40   #35
Disrupter
Sniping pigeons

disrupter adjusts zorros view and points him up from the anthill to the sky. The they both watch as the sun glows very brightly and fades.
Unread 3 Jun 2004, 03:39   #36
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

*Watches from nearby as Zorro goes blind from looking directly at the sun through a hi-powered telescope.*

*Points and laughs.*

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 3 Jun 2004, 05:37   #37
Zorro
Awaiting RP Revival

*Now blind in one eye, Zorro buys an eye patch from the dollar store in port and returns to his ship. He aims a cannon at Hewitt and demands that he pay a ransom for his life. He names as his price.....Australia!*

--Mark Twain
Unread 3 Jun 2004, 19:27   #38
Nomani
Lurker

Nomani is an unknown quantity at this point

[ooc] might i give this one a try dj? just stick me with whatever side you think could use another body if so [/ooc]
Nomani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2004, 20:30   #39
Disrupter
Sniping pigeons

disrupter finaly figured out why pirates have eyepatches. The sun. It is all clear to him now. Disrupter take a cannon and starts firing at the infernal star.
Unread 7 Jun 2004, 21:50   #40
Zorro
Awaiting RP Revival

ok seriously people, post your histories

--Mark Twain
Unread 8 Jun 2004, 03:10   #41
Disrupter
Sniping pigeons

yes, POST YOUR CHARACTERS OR WE WILL BE FORCED TO SPAM BY SHEER BOREDOM

*a vein pops on Disrupters forehead, and he collapses*
Unread 8 Jun 2004, 05:29   #42
shadow_spy
The Caffienated One.

shadow_spy is just really niceshadow_spy is just really niceshadow_spy is just really niceshadow_spy is just really niceshadow_spy is just really nice

*While Disrupter is on the ground shadow_spy stares at him and dissappears
shadow_spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jun 2004, 06:38   #43
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro
*Now blind in one eye, Zorro buys an eye patch from the dollar store in port and returns to his ship. He aims a cannon at Hewitt and demands that he pay a ransom for his life. He names as his price.....Australia!*
Pfft... take it.

Just a piece of scoured out dirt anyway.

*Hands over the title deed then moves to Tahiti.*

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 8 Jun 2004, 22:13   #44
Disrupter
Sniping pigeons

some has to fetch serene from where ever she is to save/slag this thread. If it was up to me, i say this is bought done.....