User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 1 Nov 2002, 14:17   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Video out over Coax ?

In my computer I have a GeForce2 (7400 TI from the very top of my head (64 mb)) with a TV out. Now, I've never used this TV out because I couldn't be arsed to find out how to use it.

But, since my mom and dad have been bugging me lately of finding out how to connect it to a TV, so they can watch all those "kewl" movies I have on CD, I have to find a way of doing this.

I'm not VERY interrested in dragging my computer downstairs and working my way through all those cables behind the VCR just to have my parents watch a single movie, thus I need a more practical solution.
What I was thinking is connecting the card to a coax cable (the ones used for TV signal transmission) and giving the other TV's the oportunity to catch the signal. We have these cables throughout the entire house (having 4 rooms with TV's) and making an extra connection is not that much work.

Does anyone happen to know how to get this done?
Unread 1 Nov 2002, 14:42   #2
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
you cannt stick an AV signal down an RF line
Unread 1 Nov 2002, 14:55   #3
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by BesigedB
you cannt stick an AV signal down an RF line
Isn't there certain "equipment" to do so?

(Haven't heard of the abbreviations "AV" or "RF" before, but I guess you mean scart and coax with that...)
Unread 1 Nov 2002, 15:11   #4
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

A bit of googling showed me an AV to RF modulator (sadly in the UK, but I'll find a Dutch one)...
Now I only need to convert my Audio signal and Video signal to Scart... (which I haven't found through googling yet)
Unread 1 Nov 2002, 15:49   #5
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
A bit of googling showed me an AV to RF modulator (sadly in the UK, but I'll find a Dutch one)...
Now I only need to convert my Audio signal and Video signal to Scart... (which I haven't found through googling yet)
Most geforce cards and the like have an S-Video port on the back (Sort of like a mouse / keyboard port with less holes) - and normally you get an AV adaptor to process the video.

What you need is an SVideo - Scart lead, and from the scart end you need audio fly leads which would need connecting to the sound card on your computer. Chances are you'd need to convert from two male phono-type jacks to phono sockets - with a mini- headphone jack at the other end to connect it to your PC.
Unread 1 Nov 2002, 18:38   #6
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
pcworld sell them i believe, as do most electronics shops

i spent a few days or so trying to do the same sorta thing but gave up in the end :/
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Nov 2002, 19:02   #7
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarak

pcworld sell them i believe, as do most electronics shops

i spent a few days or so trying to do the same sorta thing but gave up in the end :/
Well, I mentioned this at work today and one colleague told me it was quite hard to find the modulator in the Netherlands (in shops that is). He needed one for his satelite TV thingy to split the signal to other TV's.
Cables should be a piece of cake tho.
Unread 1 Nov 2002, 19:29   #8
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
I thought most new cards came with video out now which lets you connect your video card directly to your tv? no?

- Q
sh@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Nov 2002, 19:33   #9
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:

(Haven't heard of the abbreviations "AV" or "RF" before, but I guess you mean scart and coax with that...)
well, coax yes. scart is the 21-pin adaptor standard that carries rgb/av/audio etc [depending on the equipment]

AV is the correct term for the yellow* composite video cable

* its just the same as any other cable just labeled yellow
Unread 1 Nov 2002, 19:47   #10
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

I believe I have both connections on my card:

A yellow, tullip-shaped (yes the flower) connector, and something that remotely looks like a PS2 connector (but quite isn't).
I have the basic cables for it:

Composite -> Svideo
Composite -> Composite
Svideo -> Svideo
and a cable I THINK came with the card, but can't quite figure out what it is

(This last cable could be from something completely different.... my room is a mess and I don't really remember what belongs where)
Unread 1 Nov 2002, 20:01   #11
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
thats an rj-11 phone cable surely?

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Nov 2002, 20:04   #12
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
PS2ish one is S-Video.
Yellow is normally RCA (aka Composite), but they are round. Never heard of a tulip shaped one.

RF modulators are notoriously good at destroying picture quality, since getting the colour and vsync signals in line is apparently a tricky thing to do.

If you can put up with it, just get a very long svideo lead and run it from the card to the TV in question. You will also need a long line out to phono cable to provide audio (assuming your TV has s-video and audio inputs).
Don't use the RCA (if thats what the odd socket is) - it degrades badly over long cables and the colour tends to go out of sync with the luminace.

Unread 1 Nov 2002, 21:18   #13
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
get a cheap video with a s-video in, stick it next to the computer. Run RF cable from video->tv. le voilá

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote