User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 22 Oct 2002, 17:30   #1
Androme

OS Modification

Would it be illegal if I sold a modified version of XP, even although I own a license?
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 17:33   #2
Dave
Infallible

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Your not even supposed to modify it.....
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 17:41   #3
w2k
all grown up

w2k is an unknown quantity at this point
no one is meant to modify it at all unless your using microsoft service packs and patches etc.
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 18:26   #4
Cocaine

Re: OS Modification

Quote:
Originally posted by Androme
Would it be illegal if I sold a modified version of XP, even although I own a license?
The license only allows you to be a victim of MS not a redistributer or MS coder.
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 18:31   #5
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Re: OS Modification

Quote:
the license only covers the installation onto your computer etc...
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 18:36   #6
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
What have you done this time Androme?
Or what are you planning to do?
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 19:11   #7
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
I'd be interested to see how you plan to modify the original XP media. Anything else would be (aside from the flagrant breaches of just about every part of the license agreement (remember, you don't own a copy of XP, you merely have a license to use it)) simple piracy.
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 21:03   #8
Androme

Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
What have you done this time Androme?
Or what are you planning to do?
Well... ... . ....... ....

I was planning on selling copies of XP with modified parts - such as shortcut to shuting down pc (via DOS) etc. - nothing amazing since I personally don't know C# - but I would have tried to insert these shortcuts as default proggies inside XP when installed - if I couldn't do it myself, then I would ave gotten a friend or 2 to do it

DAMN YOU PEOPLE!!!

btw - it's amazing how many different variations there are with the same answer...
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 21:17   #9
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society
how about making a program that does all that without changing the actual content of windows xp
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 23:13   #10
Androme

Quote:
Originally posted by Flavius
how about making a program that does all that without changing the actual content of windows xp
up yours - every money scheme is > free
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 23:32   #11
Karmulian

when u buy a copy from MS

you buy a license to use the product
not a license to edit the product.. or infact own the product at all.
its just a license to use, not license to the code, or for distribution

i'd go into more detail.. but its that simple..
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 23:34   #12
Karmulian

Quote:

Well... ... . ....... ....

I was planning on selling copies of XP with modified parts - such as shortcut to shuting down pc (via DOS) etc. - nothing amazing since I personally don't know C# - but I would have tried to insert these shortcuts as default proggies inside XP when installed - if I couldn't do it myself, then I would ave gotten a friend or 2 to do it

DAMN YOU PEOPLE!!!

btw - it's amazing how many different variations there are with the same answer...
like also mentioned above
just write a batch file/exe that will insert all the stuff u want into XP

technically you could do what you propose (take pre-edited versions) but you would have to give all money you make to MS.. becuase you would have to buy a license off them to use the product( as above)
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 23:44   #13
Androme

Quote:
Originally posted by Karmulian
my avatar is cool
Quote:
Originally posted by Karmulian
LOOK AT MY AVATAR FFS
j/k - thnx karmu - will do