User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 18 Jul 2005, 22:25   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Which series of Stargate Atlantis is Channel 5 showing on fridays?

The clue to the point of this thread is in the title.
Unread 18 Jul 2005, 22:27   #2
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Which series of Stargate Atlantis is Channel 5 showing on fridays?

The first I'd assume.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jul 2005, 22:27   #3
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

series one.

also, on a sidenote, nice 'tar, but you should make the backround clear. That dude was cool in a 'he made me watch him eat my hand' kind of a way.
Unread 18 Jul 2005, 22:49   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Well I assumed it would be the first, but I downloaded the first episode of the first series (because I missed it on friday) and that matches what the tv guide says, but I also watched episode 2 as it was a two parter, and i can't find a mention of that on 5's tv guide.
For the one they've got lined up for friday, the description doesn't seem to match.

Curse you five!
Unread 18 Jul 2005, 22:52   #5
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv guide
Friday 22nd July
20:00 Stargate Atlantis (Science Fiction Series)
Rising (Part 2 of 2). Series 1, episode 2.
Sci-fi drama series. The crew look for a new fuel source when they come across a settlement where the villagers live in fear of the enemy.
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jul 2005, 22:52   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Update:
Scratch that, I compared the episode names and it just seems that 5 have rewritten the descriptions to be so shit as to make no sense.

Which fits, as 5 itself is often so shit as to make no sense.
Unread 19 Jul 2005, 00:15   #7
berzerker
Professional AlcoFrolic

berzerker has a spectacular aura aboutberzerker has a spectacular aura aboutberzerker has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
Update:
Scratch that, I compared the episode names and it just seems that 5 have rewritten the descriptions to be so shit as to make no sense.

Which fits, as 5 itself is often so shit as to make no sense.
5 aren't that bad... they're showing stargate aren't they
Unread 19 Jul 2005, 10:58   #8
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

5 are shit.
Unread 19 Jul 2005, 11:15   #9
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'd recommend downloading these series if you're on anything better than dial-up, it's worth it.

Or rather, it's worth it to avoid the adverts. Atlantis isn't too good in general...
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2005, 11:29   #10
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

Dunno Dante, its a good mindless 40 minutes for those of us with too much time on our hands.

I do follow the download route myself, simply because I can then watch them at my conveniance instead of when the networks want me to. (I dont own a VCR)
Unread 19 Jul 2005, 11:45   #11
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

One worrying factor about both Stargate series, considering the American tendency to scrap anything that doesn't entertain their masses

Quote:
Season premiere ratings fail to impress

The season premieres of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis failed to attract big numbers on July 15, staying about even with last season's average viewership. But the shows did help make The SCI FI Channel the top-rated cable network for the night among viewers 18 to 49 and viewers 25 to 54.

SG-1 started off the night of premieres with "Avalon, Part 1," introducing new cast members Ben Browder ("Cameron Mitchell") and Beau Bridges ("Hank Landry"). The episode earned a 2.1 average household rating, or approximately 2,610,000 viewers.

This is a 5 percent improvement over the mid-season premiere in January, but down from the 2.4 rating earned by the Season Eight premiere one year ago. Season Eight averaged a 2.1 rating for new episodes.

Stargate Atlantis continued the night of premieres, with "The Siege, Part 3" earning a 2.2 household rating. As with its sister show, this is a slight improvement over the January premiere (which earned a 2.1, or +6 percent), but slightly down from last season's 2.3 average. About 2,783,000 viewers tuned in for the resolution of last March's cliffhanger.

Top-rated Battlestar Galactica finished off the night with its second season premiere, "Scattered." The episode delivered 3,053,000 total viewers, earning a 2.6 household rating. The show was cable's most-watched program that night for men 18 to 49 and men 25 to 54.

SCI FI was also the second-highest rated cable network for the night in other key demographics, including women 18 to 49 and women 25 to 54.

Stargate's season premieres typically draw higher ratings than the season's average. But significant changes for both shows this year may help the audience to grow from the lower-than-expected premieres -- if viewers warm up to new the cast members and stories.

Brand new episodes of all three hit series continue this Friday at 8 p.m. Eastern/Pacific.
Unread 19 Jul 2005, 11:46   #12
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids
Dunno Dante, its a good mindless 40 minutes for those of us with too much time on our hands.
It's OK I guess. It reminds me quite a lot of Voyager as I've said elsewhere - it's not very exciting and none of the characters are particularly endearing. But it just doesn't make the grade against other shows like Battlestar or Lost (or even SG-1).
Unread 19 Jul 2005, 14:27   #13
berzerker
Professional AlcoFrolic

berzerker has a spectacular aura aboutberzerker has a spectacular aura aboutberzerker has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
It's OK I guess. It reminds me quite a lot of Voyager as I've said elsewhere - it's not very exciting and none of the characters are particularly endearing. But it just doesn't make the grade against other shows like Battlestar or Lost (or even SG-1).
Unless its Jeri Ryan in it, it'll never be as good as Voyager.

Quote:
But it just doesn't make the grade against other shows like Battlestar or Lost (or even SG-1)
I started watching the first series of BSG the other day, and it easily out-performs Atlantis and SG-1. I have only watched upto episode 12 of bsg and the story is fantastic with great special effects and superb acting.
Unread 19 Jul 2005, 14:30   #14
mrmao
oh...sexy...

mrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the rough

Well sorry to say but remeber the first season of SG1 being kind of campy too.
Unread 19 Jul 2005, 14:33   #15
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

i dont think that galactica is such a geat show, i never really liked it. i didnt even watch until the end of the first season (and i finish watching / reading almost everything once i started)
Unread 19 Jul 2005, 14:47   #16
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by berzerker
Unless its Jeri Ryan in it, it'll never be as good as Voyager.
It's arguable whether Voyager was better with 7 of 9 in it. Yes Jeri Ryan was fit (although she always reminded me of nazi's) and yes her character was mildly interesting, but they obsessed too much over her and then there were shit stuff to do with her and the doctor, her and Chakotay and so on.
Quote:
I started watching the first series of BSG the other day, and it easily out-performs Atlantis and SG-1. I have only watched upto episode 12 of bsg and the story is fantastic with great special effects and superb acting.
BSG is leaps and bounds above Atlantis although I doubt it's anything to do with the effects (although it does look better). It's more to do with the darkness/grit/realism compared to the shows which are still in the Trek mould. Same reason why Firefly was vastly superior too Atlatnis/Voyager-esque shows.

SG-1 I've not seen all of but from the little I've seen at least some characters who are mildly more interesting / humorous than the rest. Without Richard Dean Anderson I'm not sure the show would be any good.
Unread 19 Jul 2005, 14:57   #17
1-X
overtired

Quote:
Without Richard Dean Anderson I'm not sure the show would be any good.
you'll find that out soon as afaik his role in season 9 is more like 'guest appearances' than regular cast member.
Unread 19 Jul 2005, 14:59   #18
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-X
you'll find that out soon as afaik his role in season 9 is more like 'guest appearances' than regular cast member.
Well 9.01 was pretty rubbish, but I'm keeping an open mind for now.
Unread 19 Jul 2005, 15:07   #19
1-X
overtired

Quote:
Well 9.01 was pretty rubbish, but I'm keeping an open mind for now.
I still liked it, and would always watch it first (when I have that and atlantis together.) Nothing much happened, the flashback scenes for the new guy were tedious and the Merlin story is just silly so maybe it's just the comfort zone of being a long-running series that makes it unmissable even when it's going through a quiet patch.
Unread 19 Jul 2005, 15:26   #20
Rids
The Bad Guy

BSG is... different. Dont get me wrong, I enjoy the show, and I do keep up to date with it, but I'm still not sure about the majority of shit that gos on in there.

First off, we have the terrible 'this has all happened before, and will happen again' cycle, in effect, making the whole thing seem completely ****ing pointless in my opinion.

Then we have the human looking cylons, sorry this just doesnt do it for me. I guess I'm too fond of the old series or something.

and finally, what the **** is up with Baltars visions? Ok, so he is imagining a dead cylon, I can kind of understand that, but all the talk about god, and gods great plan for him is absolute ****ing bullshit in my opinion.

ps, was it just me, or has the chick playing Starbuck changed this series?
Unread 19 Jul 2005, 15:53   #21
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
First off, we have the terrible 'this has all happened before, and will happen again' cycle, in effect, making the whole thing seem completely ****ing pointless in my opinion.
I do normally dislike this style of plot but I'm interested in where they take it. I absolutley hated it when DS9 went "religious" but on B5 it worked OK. It could go wrong though, yeah.
Quote:
Then we have the human looking cylons, sorry this just doesnt do it for me. I guess I'm too fond of the old series or something.
I don't really like how they're not explained. They kind of seem to be a replicant rip off - e.g. no ultrasound or x-ray can detect any difference to a normal human being yet they have super-strength...?
Quote:
and finally, what the **** is up with Baltars visions? Ok, so he is imagining a dead cylon, I can kind of understand that, but all the talk about god, and gods great plan for him is absolute ****ing bullshit in my opinion.
He is supposed to be borderline insane though, although I'm not sure of the mechanics of the communication to him (I didn't see the first few eps). The most silly thing though is almost no-one notices what a loony he is (aside from the alcoholic guy it seems) despite the fact he is randomly babbling to himself/wanking in public half the time.
Unread 19 Jul 2005, 17:58   #22
Rids
The Bad Guy

Quote:
I He is supposed to be borderline insane though, although I'm not sure of the mechanics of the communication to him (I didn't see the first few eps). The most silly thing though is almost no-one notices what a loony he is (aside from the alcoholic guy it seems) despite the fact he is randomly babbling to himself/wanking in public half the time.
She was his 'girlfriend' back on whatever planet he was on. At that point she was definately real, as she had real interaction with other people, including snapping a babys neck for no other reason than to stop it crying. She somehow sheidled him from the nuclear blast, despite the fact it completely levelled his home, at that point, she disapeared.

Yes, the fact that nobody can work out that he is a nut is a bit... strange. Isnt he like Vice President or something now also?
Unread 19 Jul 2005, 21:18   #23
berzerker
Professional AlcoFrolic

Quote:
I do normally dislike this style of plot but I'm interested in where they take it. I absolutley hated it when DS9 went "religious" but on B5 it worked OK. It could go wrong though, yeah.
B5 is by far my favourite sci-fi series. Really good stories and Garibaldi is one cool dude, although Lennier kicks ass equally well. And Talia, while seemingly a stuck-up ice-queenbitch, is probably just a repressed nympho who i'd like to help back to her usual sexual proclivaties

Quote:
Yes, the fact that nobody can work out that he is a nut is a bit... strange. Isnt he like Vice President or something now also?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity; and he has a bit of both. And yes he's vice-president. He got elected to the post in series 1 episode 12 (i know cos i only watched it yesterday) in order to keep that Tom (terrorist dude) from a position of authority.
Unread 20 Jul 2005, 10:39   #24
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

I agree entirely that Stargate compared to BSG is like comparing a composition written for A-level music to Beethoven. It's years ahead.
The main thing for me is that BSG is more believeable. Everyone's using weapons as we know them (none of this energy weapon bullshit) - ie. projectlie weapons and/or nukes, the computers are not all seeing and all knowing (in fact they're not even networked) and are often portrayed as a limiting factor rather than an aid, communication is done by good old fashioned telephone or radio, there are no fancy "long range sensors" that can return photographic images of a planet from half a light year away, in fact it's pretty much implied that it's all done by radar - Galactica has to have it's flight pods extended before it can even use the sensor, and in fact in the series two premier they had to wait until they could pick up the Colonial Fleet transponder before they could verify where they were.

In fact pretty much the only nods to standard sci-fi are the FTL (Faster Than Light) drive ability. Even the non-FTL engine tech seems pretty much grounded in science. The raptor fighters use some sort of fuel/nuclear assisted hybrid system, and it's been implied that Galactica's engines use similar technology (in the "plot definition" 2 hour movie aired before season 1, Galactica is hit by a nuke and the engines on one side become locked on full thrust - a team is sent to cut off the fuel lines to the engines).

To address some of the queries/worries some of you have pointed out, I understand it as such:

Human-like cylons: the movie makes it pretty clear they cylons have managed to pull this off in the 40 years between the last contact at the end of the war and when they launch the attack on Caprica which spawns the whole story BSG is based on. How it's been done is never really answered, as obviously no-one has much of a chance to find out. It is discovered that certain radiation can cause them to become seriously ill and also prevent the transfer of conciousness on death (see the weapons dump bit in the movie).

The whole Dr Baltar thing: Yeah. It's never adequately explained, and I think that is done purposefully to make the audience actually sit down and think for themselves. My personal theory is that, as we know the human-like cylons can transfer their conciousness to a copy when they die, that the one who was with Baltar on Caprica somehow managed to transfer to him.

"History repeating" plot: I don't have a problem with this, and as has been mentioned, it's interesting to see where they'll take it.

Anyway, if you're looking for "realism sci-fi", if that can be said to be a genre, then this is as close as you'll get.
If you do decide to start watching, you HAVE to watch the movie first. Just to be clear, it was never released in cinemas (although it could have been, the quality of both the acting and production is better than many recent hollywood efforts), it was a pilot for the series to guage public reaction. It is about 2 hours long, and it sets the stage for the series - the events of the movie are frequently refered to in the series, so it's well worth watching it.

Last edited by meglamaniac; 20 Jul 2005 at 10:45.
meglamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote