User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 15 Aug 2005, 05:46   #1
Helix

Helix will become famous soon enoughHelix will become famous soon enough
Ability to play multiple planets

I think that paid players should have the ability to play two planets. These two planets cannot defend each other, nor attack the same target, however they can be in the same alliance. Basically PA is getting a little old, there isn't much left in it for a lot of people. Another problem is many people get discouraged and stop playing mid round which causes stagnation. If people had two planets it would both be more challenging, and it would also give them a greater chance at success. Success means they wont get discouraged and leave, which would mean less stagnation.

It also means that people can play more than one race per round, which can make it more exciting. Yes it would increase the DB space needed, but this would be for paying customers only, and for 10$ for 3 months you can afford a lil bit more database room for one planet...it wont really increase the bandwidth usage.

Anyways, there are some issues that would need to be dealt with to keep people from exploiting this. The two planets could both have the same ID, with the second planet being created from the preferences screen of the first planet thus giving it the same ID. The two planets can not attack or defend each other (to prevent salvage donations/farming). The two planets also cannot have two attack fleets, or an attack and a def fleet going to the same planet. The limit on not attacking the same target would prevent one person from ganging up on someone else with their two planets. You could however have both planets defending the same planet.

Ideas? Please no outright "wont work" etc... make suggestions on ways to improve the idea instead.
Unread 15 Aug 2005, 05:53   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Ability to play multiple planets

terrible idea imo. it legitimises cheating by saying 'we wont care if you have another planet'
Plus the restrictions imposed arent nearly tight enough to prevent abuse of it imo , mind you i dont think the current exception restrictions are tight enough either

you might want to extend the restriction to not allowing attacking the same galaxy within say 10 ticks.
Stops the planet draining in-gal defence and being abused that way
Unread 15 Aug 2005, 06:01   #3
Helix

It would no longer be cheating if it were part of the game. Aside from multiing (which is essentially what my suggestion is) I proposed to have in game restrictions to prevent most other forms of cheating. The only possible way for the two planets to in any way interact would be if both planets were defending the same target (probably alliance mate). Now tell me how you are going to gain an advantage by having two planets defending someone?

What other types of abuse could there be if all but that one form of interaction are eliminated? You didn't seem to read the bottom part of my post phil, how about a suggestion on how to prevent the abuse you forsee happening (and explaining what abuse that might be) to possibly make the idea feasible instead of blindly saying "terrible idea imo". EDIT : I see you made a suggestion, and a good one, might as well make it a full 24 ticks.

Also, if you ask players what the most fun rounds of PA are, they will almost definitely point towards the earlier rounds. Free would have been a big part of that, but another part is that like it or not, back then most people had multiple planets. Playing multiple planets (in my suggestion only 2) gives a new aspect to the game, especially now when you get to play more than one race.
Unread 15 Aug 2005, 06:05   #4
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

its a very slippery slope you propose. once youve started by saying ' go on have another planet ' ( and in an official capacity too ) do you really think people will stop with having two?

people pointing towards earlier rounds is one thing however there were more people back then and crucially, the rounds were free.
saying ' it was more fun because people had more then one planet ' doesnt take into account the other factors which combined made the round fun. things like stats, the architecture of the game, the state of the community and the characters in it, the alliances and their politics at the time etc etc.
these all played their part back then to make the rounds fun

edit : and another thought. alliance defence would be made twice as easy to get ( since the alliance players planets can defend together ), and thus twice as hard to land on an alliance planet, since the two player planets cant attack together.
it could very concievably render all attacks on other alliances pointless, forcing them to go after the newbies or the smaller alliances which wouldnt stand a chance anyway.

Last edited by Phil^; 15 Aug 2005 at 06:16.
Phil^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2005, 06:34   #5
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Orion Treet has a spectacular aura aboutOrion Treet has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^

edit : and another thought. alliance defence would be made twice as easy to get ( since the alliance players planets can defend together ), and thus twice as hard to land on an alliance planet, since the two player planets cant attack together.
it could very concievably render all attacks on other alliances pointless, forcing them to go after the newbies or the smaller alliances which wouldnt stand a chance anyway.
There would also be twice as many planets in an alliance so just as difficult if I'm not mistaken Scale is just increased.
<Zhil> I am HC
<Zhil> I gave myself permission
<[MO]Forest> i meant a proper hc, not a hc who would suicide into his MO's fleet

Played r4-9.5 r12-14 Now retired.
Proud to have been Cosmic Frostbite (r12 - 22:5 - #1 gal)
Forever [4D] - LCH, ND, Absolute, TFD, DLR
Might and greed will never outweigh honor and loyalty!
Orion Treet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2005, 06:38   #6
Phil^
Insomniac

like i said, it would be more difficult.
The attackers would not be able to use both of their planets to attack, but the defenders would be able to use both of theirs.
Unread 15 Aug 2005, 06:54   #7
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helix
I think that paid players should have the ability to play two planets. These two planets cannot defend each other, nor attack the same target, however they can be in the same alliance. Basically PA is getting a little old, there isn't much left in it for a lot of people. Another problem is many people get discouraged and stop playing mid round which causes stagnation. If people had two planets it would both be more challenging, and it would also give them a greater chance at success. Success means they wont get discouraged and leave, which would mean less stagnation.

It also means that people can play more than one race per round, which can make it more exciting. Yes it would increase the DB space needed, but this would be for paying customers only, and for 10$ for 3 months you can afford a lil bit more database room for one planet...it wont really increase the bandwidth usage.

Anyways, there are some issues that would need to be dealt with to keep people from exploiting this. The two planets could both have the same ID, with the second planet being created from the preferences screen of the first planet thus giving it the same ID. The two planets can not attack or defend each other (to prevent salvage donations/farming). The two planets also cannot have two attack fleets, or an attack and a def fleet going to the same planet. The limit on not attacking the same target would prevent one person from ganging up on someone else with their two planets. You could however have both planets defending the same planet.

Ideas? Please no outright "wont work" etc... make suggestions on ways to improve the idea instead.
The exception system already allows you to do this. No point adding things to the game if they're already there.
Unread 15 Aug 2005, 07:57   #8
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

if something like this were done, would not the way to do it be to allow multiying providing that the planets are in an exception, possibly with tighter exception limits than we have currently?

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2005, 08:03   #9
xontas

xontas is a jewel in the roughxontas is a jewel in the roughxontas is a jewel in the rough

having 2 planets can be used to cheat in many ways
its simply not alowed to have them

i think changing that rule would spoil the game for almost everyone
and it will not change on my watch
xontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2005, 08:17   #10
shanebratt

shanebratt is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never understood the aversion that pa has to multi planets.

The only danger, IMO, as far as multi planets go, is that one may use their multi planet in a way that nobody would normally play a planet. For example, you could make a planet exclusively covert ops, and use all your money for covert ops to set your enemies back. Nobody would do that with a single planet because it wouldn't be fun, and wouldn't help you much. Imagine if you had 3 planets to covert op one guy and destroy his amps/distorters before you attack him.

Other than that though, I don't really see the big deal. Sure, it does make it easier to get defence and to attack in greater numbers, but I think that is not really thinking through the issue. First of all, what is the difference between a guy who plays 3 planets, and 3 friends that play together? Pa still gets the money for 3 accounts, and in both cases the planets will group together in attack and defence.

Furthermore, almost all my attacks are alliance attacks, and I attack with 30+ people hitting one galaxy, at minimum. I don't buy that it would make it easier for alliances to get defence, because the alliance cap is still 99, is it not? You can't really double from 99 to 198 when the cap is 99.
shanebratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2005, 11:36   #11
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
if something like this were done, would not the way to do it be to allow multiying providing that the planets are in an exception, possibly with tighter exception limits than we have currently?
I think the exception limits are fine as they are. The only real use I see to having two planets that are in an exception is to have one as your main planet and the other as a scan planet. And since you have to pay for the privilege of researching jpg I don't see many people taking this option.

What would you suggest as further limitations to the exceptions?
Unread 15 Aug 2005, 12:02   #12
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

scans and covert ops cooping would be the issue - as in essence if u were willing to pay u could have a dedicated scan and covert op planet. problem with tightening restrictions on theese is that it really hurts the non-multis.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2005, 13:17   #13
barney
Ex-Visionary

barney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the rough

its an interesting idea, but there are too many problems which the solutions too are going to hurt non multi players. Plus how would you rule against planet 2 attacking planet 1's attackers to get them to pull?? , imo its gonna hurt your normal player who just wants to play one planet too much to allow it

All that you seam to be suggesting is to articially double the number of planets, i would much prefer to invest the effort to try and really double the playerbase.
r11 NoS (16:9:10)
r12 VsN (22:2:1)
r13 VsN BC (10:10:10) - R.I.P.
r14 xVx Head BC (2:8:3)
barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2005, 14:30   #14
Helix

I see a lot of people saying that there are "a lot of problems" with this, but not a lot of people saying what those problems would be. Rather than simply say there are problems with the idea, say what you think the problems are so that the idea might be improved.

As for scanning, you cant jgp your own attacks (the two planets cannot launch at the same target), and that is one of the most useful scans. Unit scans are only hard to get for a little bit at the beginning, and news scans are already close to pointless.

As for the alliances being too hard to attack. Sure there are twice as many planets to defend. But the attackers also have twice as many planets to attack. Just because one person cant use both his planets to attack the same target does not mean he can't use both his planets to attack two different people in the same alliance.

I am not putting this suggestion up because I think PA could use more planets, I am putting this suggestion up because I believe the added challenge, immersion, and fun of playing more than one race/style in the same round will make the game better. Who knows, this may be the step to doubling the actual player base.

@Phil : That is what multihunters are for. If people are trying to get 3 or 4 planets, it is their job to catch them. Changing the game by allowing paid players to have 2 planets wont really change the number of people who want to cheat. If anything I see it lowering the problem because many of the people wont see the need to try and cheat anymore because now they can try out those other things they wanted to do before.