User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 14 Jun 2004, 15:50   #1
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Poker Advice

Playing on a semi short (nl) table (ie 7/8 players) and another (pl) table heads up seems to be ok.

The lack of action inherent in poker (ie good hands you get) is balanced with the almost continuous action of heads up allowing you to stay focused on both games and not make silly bets on the "big table" due to boredom.

Playing on a semi short table and continuing to play on the other table when 3/4 other players join is not conjusive to good play.

To begin with you dont really need to concentrate too much on a heads up table and the pot money tends to be low.

However when other folk join you need to split your attention more and more (and its not helpful when your virused up to **** comp continously fires pop up things at you ... which you have to close to be able to do your poker action).

Anyways i would rather have known this before but at least i learnt this lesson on play money.

If anybody else is picking up tips you're not liable to find in poker books please post them here tnx.
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 18:05   #2
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Poker Advice

You seem to forget the cardinal rule of gaming, namely that any problems you beieve are inherrant in a game apply to the other players in the same way they afect you.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 18:32   #3
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Pocket Queens are cursed.

7/10 times you get a flush off the flop it wont win if you go heads up with someone. (again they are cursed)

Never play people who bet big with 3 8 off suit. The very time you think 'hey hey' is the time they win it with a straight off the river.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 22:09   #4
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim

7/10 times you get a flush off the flop it wont win if you go heads up with someone. (again they are cursed)

Never play people who bet big with 3 8 off suit. The very time you think 'hey hey' is the time they win it with a straight off the river.
Posting to say I didn't understand a word of the above.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 22:22   #5
Grimble v2.0
Bernard Black

Grimble v2.0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
I finished 2nd in a 10 person, $10+1NL earlier today. The fatal hand: Down to 2 players, I have a slight chip lead, get pocket queens, go all-in, get called. Flop: 9,Q,5 Turn: 3 River: K, lose to j10o.
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 22:47   #6
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I played hold'em for play money on Yahoo! Games earlier today.

Holding ace-ten off-suit in the pocket, the initial flop came out 8, K, Q. I could straight away see a possible straight and was praying for a jack to pop out. The turn came...and it did. Jack of diamonds. I squealed with joy (metaphorically...i think).

I didn't really care about the river at that point, but that happened to be an eight as well. I had a straight to the ace, and since I was down on chips at the time, i was pretty chuffed. I bet as aggressively as I could to try to raise the pot as high as possible (people don't fold on Yahoo), and when it came down to the final call, the pot was $300. It looked good.

So, everyone showed their cards. ****.

The player to my left also had an ace-ten in the pocket, holding the same straight as me. But never mind, $150 would do me fine. Then the player to her left showed. A pair of jacks. This meant...oh crap. Jacks over eights. I'd just lost at least $100 of chips and had gambled most of what I had left

ah well, i made most of it back on blackjack this afternoon...
furball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 23:45   #7
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
Posting to say I didn't understand a word of the above.

OK

You are dealt 2 cards. These are 'pocket cards'.

Every player gets them

Then a round of betting commences.
Then the 'flop' comes down. These are community cards. i..e you can make a hand using your two cards + the 3 that just came down.

Betting goes round again.

Then the 'turn' comes which is another community card
and then the river (after another round of betting)

then a further round of betting and raising etc..

Pocket Queens refers to the intiial cards your dealt. i..e two queens

2nd thing :

if you hold suited cards. i.e. diamond diamond and 3 diamonds come down in the 3 community cards its cursed. you wont win.

someone else will win with 4 of a kind of some crap.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jun 2004, 00:54   #8
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

poker terminology is pretty stupid
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jun 2004, 01:07   #9
Psi_K
Canadian to the Core

Psi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the rough

Best words of advice I could give you.
You can bet any hand, but you must have the better hand to call a raise.
r18-19 [eXi]
<Intermission>
r31-32 [CT] - r33-35 [DLR] - r36 [VsN] - r37 [???]
r45-46 [FAnG]
Psi_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jun 2004, 01:41   #10
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

dont call, callings for fags.

either raise or fold
Unread 15 Jun 2004, 02:15   #11
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
poker terminology is pretty stupid
'Tis, but you feel super-cool when you know it and people go "wtf"
Unread 15 Jun 2004, 15:25   #12
furball

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
dont call, callings for fags.

either raise or fold
Wrong. If you've got a great hand, you'll make more money by trying to trap one of your opponents into making raises to try to intimidate you. If you then make a big re-raise over one of their raises, e.g. after the turn, they'll probably fold (if they've got any sense) and you'll have won a bigger pot than if you'd made a big raise straight away and everyone folded.

That should make some sense.
Unread 15 Jun 2004, 15:34   #13
furball

Some advice as well: Don't raise after the flop unless you think you've got a winning hand. King-high just won't cut it on decent tables, especially if there's 5+ people sitting on it - someone will always have made a pair.

Another thing - if you're in a raising war with someone (especially with multiple people) after the initial flop, and you're not holding much (maybe a low pair), work out what they'd need to beat you with: if they have good odds for a winning hand, you may be better off folding and not losing your money.

Final thing - in raising wars over the community cards: if they could have a flush, they probably do.