User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 11 Jun 2006, 23:57   #1
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Fun and teambuilding challenges for 7-11 year olds (help me do my job!)

Please.

To be a tad more serious, I'm starting to run out of ideas of what to do to the children at work (hehe) and I need your help!
Examples of what we do : kanoe trips, all kinds of sports, olabilløp (wooden, homemade cars without engines downhill)
It should promote teamwork (as I try to teach these kids that they are stronger together, you got to get them early etc) and be a way for them to have fun as a group without videogames or MTV.

Keep in mind that they are a bit tired, only got a few hours and are small. Money is also a issue, but I got all the preparationtime I want and most things can be done if its planned properly. It can be something that takes a hour or something that needs to be worked on for a month.
Just think of things you thought were fun when you were a kid
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 2006, 00:03   #2
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Fun and teambuilding challenges for 7-11 year olds (help me do my job!)

Paintballing? (I've seen kids that young playing)

Go Karts?

Orienteering?

When we were young (like year 8 = 12 year olds ish) we went to Snowdon in Wales for like a week. We did climbing, walking, abseiling and numerous challenges (they have specific trips you can do) that we all had to work out for ourselves - supervised obviously. Was really enjoyable and interesting.

Just some thoughts.

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 2006, 00:07   #3
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Invite dace or ste and play a game of kisschase except call it 'rapechase'..
the kid who gets caught gets raped and thrown into a 'rape pile'.

then the game restarts.

the last kid remaining wins and everyone has a shared experience to bring them together for the rest of their lives.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 2006, 00:22   #4
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalon
Paintballing? (I've seen kids that young playing)

Go Karts?

Orienteering?

When we were young (like year 8 = 12 year olds ish) we went to Snowdon in Wales for like a week. We did climbing, walking, abseiling and numerous challenges (they have specific trips you can do) that we all had to work out for ourselves - supervised obviously. Was really enjoyable and interesting.

Just some thoughts.
Paintballing is not something my boss would allow me to do. Besides, I would have to run around and comfort everybody ("Ooo, Bakunin shot me in the ass! Its so painfull!" " Karl and Emma always team up against me, boohoo!" "That Joseph hit me with a bottle" etc) It could be great for small groups, but I doubt that I would be able to organize it.
Gokart is a wee bit expensive here, but I might just ring around and try to get a cheaper price. Good idea!
We do orienteering, but they always get lost. And I hate to run around in the woods looking for crying kids (Kids cry alot!)

They do those trips here too, in the last year of kid's school. It's really cool, but too much organizing for my job. I just watch kids while their parents are too busy making money to pick them up after school
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 2006, 00:33   #5
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

i was expecting dace, ste, skiddy and most of GD to be mentioned in the first post not second

7-11 sounds like an odd age group, in england 7 year olds are still decidely primary school children whereas 11 yr olds are well on the way to petulant teenagehood (some are already pregnant) im not sure how you get the two to work together without a great deal of bullying and intimidation, iirc even when we were in the final year of primary school and were told to 'help out' the younger kids we made them cry...

orienteering sounds a good idea, painting arts/crafts, doctors and nurses, plays/dramatisations - you have cheap labour so make them make the costumes and sets then perform the play, it'll all be shit and of the lowest quality of course but it'll have the 'awww' factor when their parents watch them, caligula perhaps? learning to play musical instruments? if money is short get knocked off computers with ripped off software and turn them into djs, oiled naked greco roman wrestling,

to be prefectly honest i don't see whats wrong with getting them to play computer games making them antisocial degenerates is a far better approach then going down the collectivist 'work together' option imho

longterm the only things i can see as being benefitial are learning to play/produce/make music - or some other art form, which will give them a life long passion or make them play sports relentlessly so norway wins the world cup or something. I honestly think you should try the dramatic arts option, if you can afford wood for karts you can afford paper and wood for backdrops and scrounge sheets etc for wardrobe, they can learn about a play cut the sheets/make costumes and sets then perform the play. You get lots of activities put into one direction.
Unread 12 Jun 2006, 00:36   #6
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

actually make the ****ers write the play
Unread 12 Jun 2006, 00:43   #7
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
Invite dace or ste and play a game of kisschase except call it 'rapechase'..
the kid who gets caught gets raped and thrown into a 'rape pile'.

then the game restarts.

the last kid remaining wins and everyone has a shared experience to bring them together for the rest of their lives.

i was gonna suggest something similar but i was gonna call it "hide and seek and never talk of this or i'll kill your parents and make you watch and i don't think you'd want that now would you"
Unread 12 Jun 2006, 01:17   #8
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

Do you have the materials, or location to build some sort of obstacle course that the kids can go round in teams (of say 4), but which test them both mentally and physically (ie. they complete the challenge and can move on) meaning they have to rely on each other?
Unread 12 Jun 2006, 01:38   #9
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

On a serious note ...

What about a kite building/flying competition?

Also you could maybe get a few very simple origami designs and get the kids to try and make them (and all it will take is some paper). If you do this you might want to prep some "dummy" ones with the lines where the folds should be done stenciled in (with numbers saying what to fold first) for the retarded kids who don't know how to do it even after you've explained it.

Also what about slater (i don't know if there's a proper name for those little bugs you find under stones etc) races? Team building could come from designing/building the race maze. Then they could race their slaters against each other. This game could also teach the kids about habitats/biology etc. You could grade the length of the maze so it gets gradually darker/moister (so the slaters automatically run along it). I'd suggest a trial run to make sure it actually works tho.

That's all i can think of at the moment (i'll prolly think of more later though).
Unread 12 Jun 2006, 01:44   #10
Dace
so f*cking zen

Ohhhhhhh, kinda following on from A2's post (but less expensive/time consuming) ...

You know those puzzles you see on the internet/quiz books to do with matches ... how about doing a "life sized version" of it but with planks of wood/sticks/hockey sticks/whatever instead. Split the kids up into groups and get them to try and figure it out. It will help their logic/forward thinking skills.

Also im sure there's similar "rope tricks" you can do (i think i saw something on "are you a born entrepaneur" programme on BBC2 the other year that had rope tricks on it ... like rope layed out in a pattern on the ground ... can anyone remember what im talking about?).
Unread 12 Jun 2006, 09:15   #11
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Brainstorming type team activities are always good for kids, and cheap too.

Stuff like "You have 5 sheets of A4 paper, some sellotape and an egg - you need to create something that will allow you to drop the egg without it smashing from a first storey window". Something like that.

Or just a big tournament throughout the whole day. I guess that being 7-11 they have loads of energy at first, then wear themselves out after an hour or two? Also you'll have the sporty kids and the ones who aren't so keen. So split the tournament up. First could be something like bowling with scores attached, then maybe orienteering (as somenoe has said), then onto something like rounders, then maybe a quiz when they're feeling tired, then onto one of those brainstorming team things like I mentioned above. The winning team at the end of the day could get a prize like a chocolate bar each or something.
Unread 12 Jun 2006, 09:17   #12
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
Also im sure there's similar "rope tricks" you can do (i think i saw something on "are you a born entrepaneur" programme on BBC2 the other year that had rope tricks on it ... like rope layed out in a pattern on the ground ... can anyone remember what im talking about?).
Yeah I know what you mean - we used to do them in CCF at school.

You mean there'd be a ring of rope or something and you weren't allowed to step inside it (if you did you were out of the task) and had to work together to get something from the middle like a barrel, or get from one side to the other only using planks.

They're good but it means he'd need to fork out for planks or whatever, or have some rope.

I quite enjoy(ed) doing those things
Unread 12 Jun 2006, 10:49   #13
paolo
Kwaak

paolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to all

Some kind of event against a rival school or if that's not an option, at least a team without familiar people in them. It would take a team effort to beat them and it'll get your kids to work together, because noone like's to lose against another class.
paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 2006, 12:59   #14
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I don't know the english word for this, but we used to do something we called "rebusløp" when we were younger. Basicly we took a day in the woods, with tasks and different stations. At each station you have a different task to solve - it doesn't have to be a puzzle it can be something physical, or to make something. Variation is good. We did this divided into groups of 4 or 5, and we were awarded points for each station, and points for how fast we accomplished the course. The winning team got some sweets, or something like that. The idea was usually to make it so that everyone contributes, and teamwork was encouraged.

You're probably familiar with it already though?

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.

Last edited by qebab; 12 Jun 2006 at 13:05.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 2006, 21:00   #15
idiotwind

idiotwind is just really niceidiotwind is just really niceidiotwind is just really niceidiotwind is just really niceidiotwind is just really nice

The thing where you have lots of crates on an area of ground and you have to get across it using only two planks, which can't touch the floor, only some of the gaps you have to cross are longer than the planks.
I probably haven't explained it very well.
Unread 18 Jun 2006, 13:02   #16
sword

sword is infamous around these partssword is infamous around these partssword is infamous around these parts

Give each kid a butchers knife, blindfold them and stick them all on a bouncy castle whilst blasting out heavy rock music. Take a beer, light a reef, sit back, relax and enjoy.
sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2006, 16:28   #17
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by sword
Give each kid a butchers knife, blindfold them and stick them all on a bouncy castle whilst blasting out heavy rock music. Take a beer, light a reef, sit back, relax and enjoy.
This alarms me on many levels.....

Renting bouncy castles is expensive, and buying the knives will be pricey
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2006, 16:34   #18
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society

As for stuff to do... what kind of time frame are you looking at? A canoe trip would be good, but they'd only be going in teams of two, maybe three.

The obstacle course sounds like the best way to go... It can take a while to set up, but I've helped make some that only required a forest {sticks/logs} and a hell of a lot of rope/twine. That failing, a field and some common household items {tires, rope, garbage cans, etc.}

If many of them are athletically inclined, you could hold a mini track/field day and force a category for team spirit... that or maybe even a few simple games of football, american football, frisbee, frisbee golf, etc.

Also.... I know of a couple of rather strange activities involving hula hoops. Basically, split em up into two teams {Assuming you have 20+ ish kids} ..... and have them line-up single file in their two teams. Link hands. Put a hula hoop at each end, and tell them they have to get the hoop from one end to another by wiggling/stepping through it as necessary. No dropping hands or disconnecting the hoop. We run it all the time at work, and the kids usually have a really good time with it.
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2006, 23:34   #19
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

A couple of (quick) things we do are:

1. Get all the kids to grab a chair, and line them all up in a long row. Get them to stand on their chairs, and then without touching the floor, order themselves by their name/height/DOB etc. It's very simple, needs no preparation and is a very good way to get a new bunch of kids to interact with each other and introduce themselves to each other.

2. Get a series of bits of square card and on each one put a single completely random line, maybe occasionally with a 90 degree angle on it. Give 1 card to each of the kids, and tell them that they have as much time as they want and can discuss it as much as they want, but when they sit down, they have to all be sitting down with a square in front of them. Of course, all they have to do is sit down and put the piece of card in front of them, but in 99% of cases they assume you mean one big square and spend ages trying to work it out together. It's a brilliant way of forcing them to try to work as a team to solve a problem. It's also a brilliant form of entertainment at their expense when you see the look on their faces when you explain how simple it is (one group at our place once spent 40 mins on this one).

Those are both simple easy things that don't require a lot of preparation, and are useful 'gap fillers'. We tend to do them on slightly older 'kids' though, around the 14+age.

Some other fun ones that are a bit more effort are:
Raft building (with insufficient resources of course) - always ends up with getting wet.
High ropes course (like the obstacle course idea, but perhaps inappropriate for the age group you're talking about).
Rock Climbing (only pairs, but the principle still applies).
Unread 19 Jun 2006, 16:41   #20
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

on the same vein as basahar .. take some sticky labels .. place them on the forhead of each child whilst they are sat in a circle...
they then have to guess who they are by asking questions to the others in the circle ... while the others answer only yes, no and maybe... this can be tailored to age range.
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jun 2006, 21:07   #21
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2
Do you have the materials, or location to build some sort of obstacle course that the kids can go round in teams (of say 4), but which test them both mentally and physically (ie. they complete the challenge and can move on) meaning they have to rely on each other?
Make a boot camp kinda obstacle run! Where they have to drag something big along with them, as a group.
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote