User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 12 Dec 2005, 08:22   #1
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Rumad has a spectacular aura aboutRumad has a spectacular aura about
lack of incentives for midround sign ups

As a former somebody who is now a nobody, I have noticed ths week the lack of incentive a new player has for signing up midround.

I have to say it is probably a very discouraging factor for signing up midway during a round.

Surely an averaging system can be used to allow new and former players a chance of doing something useful ingame?

If I pay for an account with say 1.5 months left, or even just a few weeks into the round then the players should be given enough resources to get a score 60% of the average uviverse score and the same in development. This is enough in my view to not allow them t100 without a lot of hardwork, but enough to allow them to make a useful contribution.

This would also mean that alliances would look at a planets development less and more at the attributes of the player.

I would also say that inside the last 3 weeks of a round the above is the same, but full account sign ups are free.

What opinion does everyone else have on this?
Former legion th0ng master
Proud to be Independent
Rumad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2005, 08:25   #2
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Re: lack of incentives for midround sign ups

If players are to sign up 1 point start is all well and good, but i am sure this discourages many from starting an account at all.

More emphasis needs placing on midround start ups as this is how players will be attracted to and stay with the game.
Proud to be Independent
Unread 12 Dec 2005, 08:32   #3
SepH
no

SepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to behold

unless you start as a zik (or get donated), new signups are pretty much useless as they are atm
SepH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2005, 08:35   #4
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SepH
unless you start as a zik (or get donated), new signups are pretty much useless as they are atm
Totally agreed, but that hardly encourages new/ex players to rejoin does it?

depending on where pateam and jolt want pa to be a complete overhaul of this area needs to take place.
Proud to be Independent
Unread 12 Dec 2005, 12:21   #5
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

If you put too much incentive there, people who aren't doing too well would just resign up, which is not the point of the game.
Unread 12 Dec 2005, 12:47   #6
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashar
If you put too much incentive there, people who aren't doing too well would just resign up, which is not the point of the game.
At least they'll pay again, which means more revenue for Jolt
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2005, 13:47   #7
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

not if they were free in the first place.

i can also see this, inconjunction with CC fraud, giving someone a nice big bot force for little work...
Unread 12 Dec 2005, 15:02   #8
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
not if they were free in the first place.

i can also see this, inconjunction with CC fraud, giving someone a nice big bot force for little work...
actually your wrong. I am suggesting the account is not free (bar the last 3-4 weeks of any round where the account should be free) this would be subject to the same sign up conditions as any other account. I personally wouldn't mind paying if I was given a semi decent chance of enjoying the last 2 weeks and more would be willing to sign up should they have a decent chance of doing something,

The flexibility of what I am suggesting is that you will receive 60% of all constructions and value, which means you have more chance of doing something in game.

I fail to see why this would encourage fraud or even mean players would be willing to resign up.

What it will do though is give players starting a new account a outside chance of catching up at any pont in time.

alot of players score would mean it would be pointless restarting an account imo. Also if someone does cheat (which several players already probably do) this would be subject to the ruling by Kal that out of alliance out of galaxy defence would be cheating anyhow.
Proud to be Independent
Unread 12 Dec 2005, 15:05   #9
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashar
I think not - you are giving a player resources for an average universe planet - that would not encourage players to give up as score is more important than value anyway.
Proud to be Independent
Unread 12 Dec 2005, 15:09   #10
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

i meant that if someone were playing a freebie account, and thinking about upgrading then if they were doing baddly - that bottom 60% has to come from somewhere - then it might be worth their while starting a new account, and upgrading that one instead. i didn't mean that paid players would want to start anew half way through the round particularly.
Unread 12 Dec 2005, 15:51   #11
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
i meant that if someone were playing a freebie account, and thinking about upgrading then if they were doing baddly - that bottom 60% has to come from somewhere - then it might be worth their while starting a new account, and upgrading that one instead. i didn't mean that paid players would want to start anew half way through the round particularly.
actually you take an average uni score start them on that many roids and give them the average value, but only 60% of that value

I see little incentive for restarting based on this.

as for picking and choosing possibly what you say is true, but if it encourages players to play is that a bad thing?

freebies will get deleted anyway and if they are not careful the multihunters will be all over there ass.

You have to do something to encourage mid round sign up as these players will inveitably play the following round.
Proud to be Independent
Unread 13 Dec 2005, 20:06   #12
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

it's not THAT hard to start late... surely not if you are an ex player.

giving planets that many resources as you wanted is way too much and get abused way too easily..

as for late starters XP is very handy and you can have a big planet (scorewise) in no time if you want to be active... if you don't intend on being active it doesn't really matter how many resources you get regardless.
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Dec 2005, 20:40   #13
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumad
I think not - you are giving a player resources for an average universe planet - that would not encourage players to give up as score is more important than value anyway.
That score is more important then value is an opinion
Most people that don't play for toprank dont even care about score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumad
actually you take an average uni score start them on that many roids and give them the average value, but only 60% of that value

I see little incentive for restarting based on this.
If I lose alot of ships and or roids, and i could get a some new by resigning up then I would.
And i bet alot of people feel that way
When you can create planets with the average amount of roids and score then they would start better then most planets are
Which would be unfair, and would lead to people resigning up when they fall behind average (if they don't quit)

This planet setup would also make farming easier
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher
giving planets that many resources as you wanted is way too much and get abused way too easily..
I'd like to add, before its gonna get suggested, that getting a 'resource boost' in the beginning doesn't makes the game more fun or better either.
- The fleet people start with is likely to become very unbalanced then, just look at havoc
I don't think a new players would take the time to learn the stats before they build either
and a fleet of crapships, or pure attack ships wouldn't make the game more interesting
- especially not when the people that have the value to attack you have build up their fleet subtly over time, and own you on all sides
- its just a one time bonus, and when people find out their fleet doesn't work like they planned they might feel like its ruined for them
- The extra value they get also makes them a higher value target (bashlimit)
- And it removes an element from the game, its fun to build up a bit

Quote:
it's not THAT hard to start late...
Indeed

Last edited by Alessio; 13 Dec 2005 at 21:01.
Alessio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Dec 2005, 21:16   #14
Intruder
Jolt took my jap girl :(

Intruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant future

I think thats a great idea. ofc this would harm the interests and vision about the game of a few, but those ofc are here too complaining about the decreasing playerbase right??

Addtionally Jolt should think about the addtional money they win with this

How can be bad start over if that doesnt harm who are fighting for top ranks??

I think all should think what could be good to the community, even if makes "what this game is about" go to a different path

We need players and we should make sacrifices for that, or swallow opinions who wont help

PA Team is here to prevent abuse, abuse always existed and is their work to make things work well

I know that this idea could have saved many players from stopping this rnd after being bashed as on many other rounds

consider idea??

|| Absolute || eXilition || FAnG || Insomnia || Seraphim || Silver || Vengeance ||

Channels:

#brasil #Counter-Strike #ChillSpot #cro #dawnofthedead #dragonslair #elurstaheht #Exilition #fang #fnp #g33k #HoneyBunny #insomnia #kon #Mirage #nebula #OuZo #planetarion #pta #rpg #Silver #the_witches #vgn

Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Dec 2005, 21:24   #15
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

Problem is that rumad is saying that it's hard to start late in the round. which is obviously not true as many people have proven through out the round. fact is tho if you are in the wrong alliance or gal it's hard. IF your alliance and gal get battered you won't do well indeed... shit happens. But that has more to do with exiling systems and the way alliances work then it has to do with a late start.

personally i find starting late to be handy. seeing as you can roid easily.. and therefore grow very easily... besides that you get massive XP and you can 'easily' get to a top 100 or top 200 ranking. (ofc finishing higher is doable too)

the point is those 'new' players/planets can easily be used to multi or farm or whatever. while if it's an actual player who wants to be active all he needs to do is play a little smarter and he will end high enough. and if it's a real player who wants to be active he'll get those resources and help from his gal msot likely. If he doesn't wanna be active without having loads of resources he's not much of an addition to the game/galaxy/alliance he plays in.

This game is indeed not about helping new people getting huge unfair advantages over players who started at tick 1 but have been bashed all round long.
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 11:57   #16
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

He's not talking about ex players though, he is talking about new people to the game aswell. Wanting to be useful but not being able to because your so small late on. Something like this should only be taken into effect after the first month or so.
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 15:26   #17
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio
That score is more important then value is an opinion
Most people that don't play for toprank dont even care about score

If I lose alot of ships and or roids, and i could get a some new by resigning up then I would.
And i bet alot of people feel that way
When you can create planets with the average amount of roids and score then they would start better then most planets are
Which would be unfair, and would lead to people resigning up when they fall behind average (if they don't quit)
I can't believe people are actually thinking like this. Whether you are playing for a top ranking or not score is the important deciding factor. Ofcourse if you have built up a nice fleet in the process you also would like to keep it, but i serious can't se millions of people signing up new accounts for teh resources.

Cypher, yes you are right it is open to abuse, but so are free accounts through pyramid farming. I think you have to have some faith in the game admins.

The problem I see at the minute (returning after an absense) is there is absolutely no incentive for me to sign up. I would say that had i been given resources, research and constructions on the basis I have outlined I would have paid to play probably and I am sure most people starting extremely late would also.

With one sign up time you are reliant on people being commited enough to want to sign up at the start of the round. With what I suggest a new starter would never get that far behind, but far enough to not impact the game.

If new players and ex players are to be encouraged back then we need to get away from the reliance of one start time. This is flexible enough to encourage players like me to sign up.
Proud to be Independent
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 15:33   #18
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
it's not THAT hard to start late... surely not if you are an ex player..
Depends - I can have a bit of fun in 2 weeks as a free account (whihc is the length of ttime I will have played this round at the end), but sign up for a account with no incentive? Nah I will stick to freebie land

Quote:
giving planets that many resources as you wanted is way too much and get abused way too easily...
Abuse will always be an issue in PA - greed and desire to do well ppl will always have ways around the rules, the way to deal with it is through proper policing.

Quote:
as for late starters XP is very handy and you can have a big planet (scorewise) in no time if you want to be active... if you don't intend on being active it doesn't really matter how many resources you get regardless.
Agreed, but at least it does level the playing field somewhat and allow a player to contribute to the game and learn more about it rather than been that far behind on res and cons you actually learn little about the game.

I dunno about you but I signed up late for round 1 and i did very little because i was so late signing up. Had i been given a few ships, res and cns I could have made a much bigger learning curve than i did in the end. That is what this is about - giving someone the chance to learn or relearn the mechanics of the game without getting hung up on the cons and res
Proud to be Independent
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 17:14   #19
cypher
U've been Moderated

the research and constructions being put on an ok level ( or just research) i might agree too... the resources however is totally unfair for people who started earlier but haven't been the most luckiest...

what do they get? a weekly bonus if they are under average value?
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 18:46   #20
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
the research and constructions being put on an ok level ( or just research) i might agree too... the resources however is totally unfair for people who started earlier but haven't been the most luckiest...

what do they get? a weekly bonus if they are under average value?
they have gotten to play the game for the entire round, which mans they have more res and cons and probably xp and dare i say it.... they have had fun!
Proud to be Independent