User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 25 Oct 2013, 23:59   #1
Lunar_Lamp
Server Manager

Lunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of light
A Ranul Tech Charity

As mentioned in the End of Round Ceremony, I'm looking for ideas for a charity for Ranul Tech to support.
I already have one good idea, but I think we can split between two quite easily. I would prefer:
- a smallish charity where we can feel the money will be well used,
- a charity with a UK presence (as that's where Ranul Tech is registered),
- a flexible donation scheme (e.g. a couple of lump sums throughout the year),
- something that isn't very local. We have an international player base, and I don't think that a charity supporting a very local initiative is ideal.
Unread 26 Oct 2013, 00:04   #2
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of
Re: A Ranul Tech Charity

cancer research uk

it isnt small though, but i remember reading that 1 in 3 of us will be affected by it, ( sobering thought ) and although it funds research in the UK, if a cure is found, then it will be something that can be used world wide.
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2013, 00:09   #3
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

I know that there was a player Called H3LL who had died from Muscular dystrophy (there was a tag named after him in r20) could be an idea to donate to a charity in the UK

I would like to hear more ideas from the PA community
Unread 26 Oct 2013, 00:18   #4
Plaguuu

Plaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nice

Put it into the game, turn the downward spiral of losing players, then start thinking about where to give profit to charity.
Plaguuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2013, 10:33   #5
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaguuu View Post
Put it into the game, turn the downward spiral of losing players, then start thinking about where to give profit to charity.
You probably missed chat in #planetarion last night, Lunar was saying that hes paid for some advertising .
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2013, 11:20   #6
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of

I think what Plaguu is saying and rightly so, is that although this charity idea is great maybe all the profits should be reinvested into the game until it is a growing enterprise, when its on the up maybe we can look at sharing the wealth but until then it should be spent on things the game needs, even like paying one of the community's numerous graphic designers a nominal amount to draw some graphics for the game.
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2013, 12:20   #7
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

Here is an idea for a charity.

It fits the small charity criteria as well as the UK presence, but it is a research charity for cancer that also fits against an extra criteria (that is not listed but I think is appropriate to the PA community) of providing benefit worldwide.

The charity is InHANSE (Institute of Head and Neck Studies and Education. The name is quite self explanatory, but it specifically deals with cancer in the head and neck areas. As they are a small charity, the money they raise goes directly into research in these areas and even small amounts have a big impact and helps save lives. I have personal experience of this charity and I think they meet the intent that has been stated. Whilst they are a small charity based within the UK, research into cancer is something that benefits the whole world, so I feel it would be an appropriate area for the community to support.
Unread 26 Oct 2013, 12:23   #8
Lunar_Lamp
Server Manager

Lunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiba View Post
I think what Plaguu is saying and rightly so, is that although this charity idea is great maybe all the profits should be reinvested into the game until it is a growing enterprise, when its on the up maybe we can look at sharing the wealth but until then it should be spent on things the game needs, even like paying one of the community's numerous graphic designers a nominal amount to draw some graphics for the game.
Think about it this way: instead of me taking some money out of the company to line my pockets, I am sending that money to charity, and asking the community for some direction as to which charity to donate to. If you don't like this, then I'm sorry.

As a second point: if sufficient sums of money were donated that it would undermine growth prospects for the game, this would not be a good thing by any metric: it would reduce profits, it would reduce game players etc, and it would reduce the total sums given to charity. In short, it is in the interests of any charitable giving for the game to grow.

There is no "reinvest in the game OR give to charity" tradeoff being made here. The game is being invested in: for example, more money is being spent on advertising than on any other cost, with more money to be spent on advertising.
Unread 26 Oct 2013, 13:45   #9
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar_Lamp View Post
Think about it this way: instead of me taking some money out of the company to line my pockets, I am sending that money to charity, and asking the community for some direction as to which charity to donate to. If you don't like this, then I'm sorry.

As a second point: if sufficient sums of money were donated that it would undermine growth prospects for the game, this would not be a good thing by any metric: it would reduce profits, it would reduce game players etc, and it would reduce the total sums given to charity. In short, it is in the interests of any charitable giving for the game to grow.

There is no "reinvest in the game OR give to charity" tradeoff being made here. The game is being invested in: for example, more money is being spent on advertising than on any other cost, with more money to be spent on advertising.
Yes i appreciate that but if ALL the money was invested into the game, or whatever was left over became a stockpile that could maybe in a few rounds be used to accquire something big for improving the game then that would be better for PA than giving away the revenue.

Dont get me wrong, i like the chairty idea. I would like the community to give to others BUT do that when the game is fixed. Its good you are advertising, the game needs it but it also needs to be fixed, not patched or tweaked or whatever other faffy word we can think of, it needs a proper overhaul. So many things in the game dont work or are outdated, it is ridiculously unfriendly to a new player so for all the advertising currently you will not keep anyone that you manage to attract cos a) its not worth investing time unless you are already addicted like us and b) its too hard to start up as a new player currently.

I have spoken to you about how to change the starting up process for a new player, i have even written an indepth thread and if some of the PA team commented on it properly then maybe i could help expand the idea. The fact the suggestions forum gets littlle to no feedback from the pa team means ideas are never developed. People have some great ideas, there are flaws but a simple response/critique from one of you then the OP could go back and improve thier idea and then maybe just maybe it could be implemented.

There hasnt been an actual change in PA since i started playing, everything is just tweaks. There is so many basic things that need sorting and multiple posts have been made to improve them. Start commenting and liasing with people and we can make some progress!

- Quests (scrap them and make a proper tutorial)

- Covops (overhaul and fix or scrap it)

- Scans (need to find a way that every planet can use them from tick start whilst not undermining dists)

- XP (do something with it - it has no purpose except as a score multiplier atm)

- Population (it needs to have higher planet interaction, its just a pointless number atm)

^^ There is 5 things i can rattle off that need sorting before advertising, ESPECIALLY the first one. Use the money to sort these things out and then we can start giving our profits to charity. At the moment we are one!
Unread 26 Oct 2013, 14:12   #10
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar_Lamp View Post
Yeah, **** you, you jerk! How dare you give some of your money to charity!

I'm glad Kaiba is standing up for our right to have this game improved. It is eminently reasonable that some random people on the internet get to sign off on your personal and corporate finances. That's what being a player means, after all! In fact, that practically makes it our game!
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2013, 16:56   #11
Plaguuu

Plaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nice

Basicly what kaiba said, every penny spent on charity is one penny less on the game. You're spending on ads.. well that means you think it will work, and advertising usually works better the more you put into it.
Plaguuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Oct 2013, 12:46   #12
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

Whilst giving money to charity is a good thing.

It does put more pressure for you to Deliver Lunar_lamp as evident from some of the above posts.

Remember that not all in the PA community are as charitable
Unread 27 Oct 2013, 13:55   #13
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisley View Post
Whilst giving money to charity is a good thing.

It does put more pressure for you to Deliver Lunar_lamp as evident from some of the above posts.

Remember that not all in the PA community are as charitable
Ignoring mz's ridiculous post that was kind of a fail troll, the point i was making was that charitable donations is not a bad thing, its a good thing. But atm PA is the charity case, invest in that and fix it and then give to charity when we arent one anymore. Help starts at home.
Unread 27 Oct 2013, 15:37   #14
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiba View Post
Ignoring mz's ridiculous post that was kind of a fail troll, the point i was making was that charitable donations is not a bad thing, its a good thing. But atm PA is the charity case, invest in that and fix it and then give to charity when we arent one anymore. Help starts at home.
I would like to see Lunar_lamp gets a more of a grace period before the community goes hostile on him afterall he was under no obligation to set up Ranul tech etc.

At the same time there is certain expectation to deliver where there has been failure in the past.
Unread 27 Oct 2013, 16:35   #15
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

How about something like the Red Cross? It has a UK presence but is also international. Or some UN charity? Either would be fine with me.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Oct 2013, 16:48   #16
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
How about something like the Red Cross? It has a UK presence but is also international. Or some UN charity? Either would be fine with me.
Yeah if we are going to do it then it has to be an international charity as this is an international playerbase. Maybe put up a poll and we can vote? Like the round name? Could do it every round and just remove the one that was donated to the round before?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...onal_charities
Unread 27 Oct 2013, 19:10   #17
ArcChas
General (Adjective Army)

ArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud of

I'd just like to make 3 points here:

1/ I wholehearted support the idea of "our game" contributing to something worthwhile. All credit to you Lunar_Lamp.

2/ I put forward for consideration a UK charity called Autism Plus which (as its name suggests) provides services (such as care, eduction, housing and employment) to improve the lives of people on the autistic spectrum. http://www.autismplus.org/. I have to declare an interest here as I'm on the Board of Trustees (a voluntary, unpaid position).

3/ If we do choose a "cancer charity" can we please not restrict it to "Head and Neck" (sorry Bashar)? Again I have to declare an interest as I've just been diagnose with cancer of the kidney. (Don't overdo it with the sympathy, guys - I'm sure I'll survive).
Knights of the Green Shield R99 | Look Out of The Window R100 | Most of All R102
Hard of Hearing (2:7:1) R103 | The Lateness of Your Application (1:6:6) R104 | Kinnison of Tellus (5:1:2) R105
ArcChas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2013, 08:05   #18
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future

Good call, Lunar!
ManagerLeague helped fund the building of a girls-school for Diambars (football institute) in Senegal. We did this by giving some money ourselves, but more importantly, we set up an account in the game so players could donate credits, and we would donate some more money every month. All in all, I'd guess we have donated some 200.000 £ or thereabout (I'm not that involved with the specifics), so it's not too bad.
However, we didn't do this until we reached a certain size. And making it easy for the community to donate themselves made the community a more active part, rather than just giving a percentage of our income. That strategy seems to have worked very well.

And set up an ad for the charity on your frontpage, to help raise awareness
Unread 28 Oct 2013, 09:21   #19
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

is there some charity that helps disadvantaged kids around the world with technology? like getting online or training or access to a computer in schools?
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2013, 13:02   #20
DarkHeart

DarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really nice

When I opened this thread it was with an expectation that Lunar was announcing a way to donate money to Ranul Tech besides buying credits. That would of been a +1. Let the community help you save the game they love

I donate to 3 charities every month. And two sizeable donations at Christmas to two other charities. As a van man I get lots of furniture I give away. I'm sure I meet any social or moral obligation to put back into the community that I draw from. Money left over in my pocket I would prefer to go to those that provide services or products that keep me entertained at the end of a days graft. I wouldn't support any charity that Ranul asked me to.

Rather, show us some improvements, and i'll throw Ranul Tech some bacon to help with further improvements. The community has discussed previously pooling money to buy PA so why not see if try will put their money where their mouth is to support Ranul Tech?

At least that would be my attitude if I still played. On e something is done to actually make PA a game that is played when ppl are awake, I'll make an account again and send you the bacon
DarkHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2013, 16:27   #21
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

You could add an option on the payments page to make a small donation to the selected charity

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Oct 2013, 16:39   #22
Herbington

Herbington is an unknown quantity at this point

Whilst I think it is commendable to donate the money to charity, I do think money should be invested in the game.

I would make creating a mobile-friendly skin a priority, it'd make it much easier when your not sat at a computer.

I remember there even being a WAP version of PA once (that I could load up on my old nokia!), strange how it seems to have gone backwards.
Herbington is offline   Reply With Quote