User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 28 Jul 2013, 12:03   #51
Shev
So what?

Shev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to behold
Re: My 2 cents about the future

You missed option 3: that the offer he made does not make financial sense to them.

It's by far the most likely. We're only hearing one side of the story.

[RaH] [Mercenaries]
Shev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jul 2013, 12:13   #52
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shev View Post
You missed option 3: that the offer he made does not make financial sense to them.

There's a difference between making it clear that Spinner won't get it and saying that his offer isn't good enough. The wording suggests option 3 is irrelevant.
Unread 28 Jul 2013, 12:20   #53
Shev
So what?

Shev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to behold

See mz's post above - Planetarion is a drop in the ocean for Jagex. I doubt they would care two hoots for the identity of a bidder, but they would certainly want to make a profit.

Conspiracy theory all you like, this will be a simple business decision.

[RaH] [Mercenaries]
Unread 28 Jul 2013, 12:51   #54
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
See mz's post above - Planetarion is a drop in the ocean for Jagex. I doubt they would care two hoots for the identity of a bidder, but they would certainly want to make a profit.

Conspiracy theory all you like, this will be a simple business decision.
It's not a conspiracy theory, just interpretation of what was said. Speaking to Lunar_Lamp, he says the decision is purely Jagex's and is related to intellectual property.
Unread 28 Jul 2013, 13:30   #55
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I am not privy to any inside information, but from the hints I've gleaned from the EORC and these here public forums, I've gotten the impression Jagex are not willing to actually sell PA, to anyone, for the kind of offers that are likely to come in. Rather than having to deal with rejecting such offers, why not just dissuade people from even making any?

As a player base, we've always assumed that whoever owned PA would run it. In the case of Jagex, this turns out not to be the case. The miniscule profit PA brings in is just not worth the hassle of keeping the game running.

However, that does not mean PA is worthless to them. We're still dealing with a name that rings a bell for hundreds of thousands of people, as well as a game concept that is still fairly unique. Eve is the only game out there that I know of that comes close. It never hurts to have some copyrighted material in your portfolio, even if you don't intend to use it immediately. I doubt their refusal to sell to Spinner is some kind of juvenile revenge thing, as Bashar is suggesting. It's just business.

Alternatively, Jagex is run by bat demons from hell who feed on crushed hopes and dreams.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 28 Jul 2013 at 13:37.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2013, 01:37   #56
DigitalZero
Round 1er

DigitalZero will become famous soon enoughDigitalZero will become famous soon enough

My thoughts on the matter and I am sure many can agree with this statement is that PA was in its Prime when Spinner controlled it and then sold it originally. Even since then, Jolt passes it to X, passes it to blah, to jagex, now this, just because the PA database got "hacked" they are now no longer interested in this game. How many other parts of Jagex have been "hacked."

Sort of sounds like an excuse to finally put the noose around our necks. As for Spinner, he has shown that he cares about Planetarion, and cares enough to buy it back and atleast bring some spark of hope back to us. I fully support him, regardless of what games he is working with. He has made managerleague successful and one hell of a game out of AD2460 when it comes out.

If Spinner has heart left for Planetarion, then I say we should atleast give him a shot, if the legalities allow. We have been living in broken promises and hope now for 8 years.

Round 1 - 6: NewDawn
- 3,4,5 - ND HC
Round 7: NeMeSiS
Round 8,9: ND..then retired
Round 12: return to PA. NewDawn
Round 13 - Present: NewDawn, 35+ HC.

PA-Radio!!!
DigitalZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2013, 08:13   #57
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

You really think Spinner would buy PA and then keep it around once AD is released? He'd be buying back the player base, not PA. PA died when it first started charging for play years ago.

Everyone that still actually plays will go to AD anyway, maybe some of us that don't play might try it too. Probably not though. Just let PA die. It breaks my heart to see GD so empty these days. She needs to be laid to rest already. It's time.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2013, 08:32   #58
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

BloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud of

I dont get why the PA players want to move to AD, by the sound of it its a totaly diffrent game to planetarion.
A few years back there was a clone wich was in direct Challenge to PA, but it went downhill due to a lot of things, one of them that the code was full of bugs. Now they have rewrote the code, maybe its time to move back there if PA is being put to rest?

RB Ely MISTU Angel Fusi0n 1up ToF VisioN CT FAnG ROCK
BloodyButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2013, 09:18   #59
Korsan
Always MadcowS

Korsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the rough

From what I heard AD2460 is not the same style as PA.
So if Spinner buys it he would not have 2 brands in competition to each other, but 2 different games with an even bigger player base.

The best option in my opinion is to allow Spinner run the game. He is one of the guys who actually has a clue about how to improve the game.
Others just agree that the game needs to change, but what exactly in detail is hidden in their minds.

Is it not possible to run something like kickstarter in the name of the PA community and buy it from Jagex? I think many people here would rather have it in Spinner's hands than let it die.
No matter how loud people are shouting to shut it down, they are still here and they still play it.

This whole situation looks also like an artificial crisis (similar to the ongoing economics crisis). We have an owner who is looking for an excuse for shutting down the game and any random reason is good for them at this point.
So instead of fixing the security problem they go for shutting it down.. Professionalty as its best!

And...

Relation Change Ascendancy and the Horde are now at war with each other.
Korsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2013, 11:00   #60
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

BloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korsan View Post
From what I heard AD2460 is not the same style as PA.
So if Spinner buys it he would not have 2 brands in competition to each other, but 2 different games with an even bigger player base.

The best option in my opinion is to allow Spinner run the game. He is one of the guys who actually has a clue about how to improve the game.
Others just agree that the game needs to change, but what exactly in detail is hidden in their minds.

Is it not possible to run something like kickstarter in the name of the PA community and buy it from Jagex? I think many people here would rather have it in Spinner's hands than let it die.
No matter how loud people are shouting to shut it down, they are still here and they still play it.

This whole situation looks also like an artificial crisis (similar to the ongoing economics crisis). We have an owner who is looking for an excuse for shutting down the game and any random reason is good for them at this point.
So instead of fixing the security problem they go for shutting it down.. Professionalty as its best!
ofc, id be open for anyone to try continue running it, but it needs to be someone who got time free to do it, Spinner just said he cant Complete AD2420 cus ML takes to much time, how would he be able to run yet another game if he got his hands on PA?

Unread 29 Jul 2013, 12:12   #61
Korsan
Always MadcowS

Korsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyButcher View Post
ofc, id be open for anyone to try continue running it, but it needs to be someone who got time free to do it, Spinner just said he cant Complete AD2420 cus ML takes to much time, how would he be able to run yet another game if he got his hands on PA?
Somehow I have trust in Spinner and if he says he can do it then I think he really can do it. He has a good reputation to lose if he takes over and does nothing like zPeti or Jagex.
I am confident he will do more.

And if he doesn't have enough time himself there are lots of people here in the community that know how to work with the inner organs of PA who could assist him. All we need is one central "authority" to speak a clear word about the direction the game should move and do set goals.

Also I am thinking that if Spinner takes over PA again he might merge PA and AD into 1 game. After all some of the elements we desperately were waiting for are included in AD2460. I don't see any reason why this should not be the way to go. The "original" AD game of course has to change to meet the style of PA, not the other way... just thinking

And...

Unread 29 Jul 2013, 21:10   #62
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future

Quote:

Just to make it clear:
This time around, I have not made any kind of offer whatsoever.
I have merely been informed that they do not wish to sell it to me.
Unread 29 Jul 2013, 21:28   #63
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiddy View Post
You really think Spinner would buy PA and then keep it around once AD is released? He'd be buying back the player base, not PA. PA died when it first started charging for play years ago.

Everyone that still actually plays will go to AD anyway, maybe some of us that don't play might try it too. Probably not though. Just let PA die. It breaks my heart to see GD so empty these days. She needs to be laid to rest already. It's time.
You are very wrong.
If I was able to get PA back, it would absolutely be to keep it alive, not to "buy the player-base" at all. To put it bluntly, I would want the game back just as much with zero players and zero user-data, zero portal and zero forums.
PA is part of our history, as in Fifth Seasons history, the very first game we made, and we would very much like to take better care of it.
Yes, it would be kept alive when AD is finished, and I don't see that as problematic at all.
I am less interested in the forums, the portal, the user-data, I just want the game (such as it is for now), the name and the domain. That's all I need as a starting-point anyway.
Unread 29 Jul 2013, 21:33   #64
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
You are very wrong.
Then I stand corrected and apologize for my assumption.

Quote:
...and zero forums.
Get out.
Unread 29 Jul 2013, 21:38   #65
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Quote:
Absolutely a valid concern. I don't know exactly how, when and what, but even with just weekend-focus on PA, and the resources I have at my disposal in the office, I could do more in a month or two than has been done for the game in the past years. Ok, maybe a bold statement, but I can live with it. I have a designer next to me in the office who can help me with the gui-changes and redesign, I have a businessman on the other side who can start to look at the marketing-side and start planning stuff, I am not alone this time as I was back in round 10 etc.
So, even if I am stretched like crazy, the others have more time available and would be able to assist.
Unread 29 Jul 2013, 22:10   #66
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

After watching the indiegogo intro video, I have some assumptions (ass-u-me)...

AD2460 is an evolution of the original PA, and tries to remove the elements that make current PA out of reach from casual gamers (and veteran players who now have jobs). Remember you still need casual gamers, otherwise how to does the game get new players.

One of the biggest problem elements that plague the current PA is the way Combat is handled.

In the early days of 200k planets, you could launch any time of the day and you will more likely land. But with the player base so small and active, its harder to attack. Unless you join an alliance.

I'm not saying alliances are a bad thing, but the game should follow a format that you can play on your own, but at a certain point you can move an alliance to do bigger things.

But alliances doing bigger things means attacking other players, which gives the lone player no options but to try and attack only.

AD2460 has instant combat, while that smells a lot like most Facebook games, it will mean that the time of day isnt everything. This will unfortunately lead to the effect of attack only gameplay, as no one will be able to send defence.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2013, 23:01   #67
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
AD2460 has instant combat, while that smells a lot like most Facebook games, it will mean that the time of day isnt everything. This will unfortunately lead to the effect of attack only gameplay, as no one will be able to send defence.
I don't feel it's right to enter a discussion on specific features of AD here.
I am more than happy to elaborate either on the indiegogo-comments-section or on the game's facebook page.
Unread 30 Jul 2013, 03:27   #68
Clouds

Clouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
One of the biggest problem elements that plague the current PA is the way Combat is handled.

In the early days of 200k planets, you could launch any time of the day and you will more likely land. But with the player base so small and active, its harder to attack. Unless you join an alliance.

I'm not saying alliances are a bad thing, but the game should follow a format that you can play on your own, but at a certain point you can move an alliance to do bigger things.

But alliances doing bigger things means attacking other players, which gives the lone player no options but to try and attack only.
Planetarion is built on by communities, and these communities are formed by alliances. If you take away this element of the game, then the remaining playerbase that's left will just up and leave.

Planetarion has and always will be about alliances. What you're suggesting is completely changing how the game is played.
Clouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jul 2013, 03:33   #69
skiddy
wild one

But PA doesn't have the player base to encourage the meta that it used to have. You think EVE would have had big ass fights like 6VDT running with 1000 players? PA was all about alliances when Tuba and Elysium and... that one that had something to do with Romans marched onward and endlessly across the galaxy. It wasn't about spreadsheets in a browser, it was about the forums and the IRC interaction. The backchannel politics. The spying and the betrayal.

That's what made PA great. That's what makes EVE great. PA can't get that with a lifeless forum, a lifeless IRC network and an almost empty galaxy.

The only way PA gets worth talking about is if someone who genuinely loved those days finds a way to take the game and run with it - bring the players. Jagex aren't looking like doing that, they don't care. They'd care if all of a sudden you have 100,000 people subscribed again, but they don't have the love of what PA was.

Jagex - you won't read this, as you've forgotten that you even own PA as a property, but in the rarest of chances that you do, either let the game go or let the game die. Don't drag it out like this.
Unread 30 Jul 2013, 09:24   #70
on99

on99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But PA doesn't have the player base to encourage the meta that it used to have. You think EVE would have had big ass fights like 6VDT running with 1000 players? PA was all about alliances when Tuba and Elysium and... that one that had something to do with Romans marched onward and endlessly across the galaxy. It wasn't about spreadsheets in a browser, it was about the forums and the IRC interaction. The backchannel politics. The spying and the betrayal.

That's what made PA great. That's what makes EVE great. PA can't get that with a lifeless forum, a lifeless IRC network and an almost empty galaxy.

The only way PA gets worth talking about is if someone who genuinely loved those days finds a way to take the game and run with it - bring the players. Jagex aren't looking like doing that, they don't care. They'd care if all of a sudden you have 100,000 people subscribed again, but they don't have the love of what PA was.

Jagex - you won't read this, as you've forgotten that you even own PA as a property, but in the rarest of chances that you do, either let the game go or let the game die. Don't drag it out like this.
I really don't see PA getting back hundreds/thousands of players, i'll be glad if we can pick targets in c20.

And i certainly do not hope they let the game die. It has always been fun with the alliance and friends and most of all because i like to check PA 9AM at the office with alot of coffee. Best moment of the day... besides leaving the office.
on99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jul 2013, 10:20   #71
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

Just to get it up to 2k planets would be awesome compared to what we got atm.

Unread 30 Jul 2013, 17:14   #72
Korsan
Always MadcowS

People are suggesting to allow bot planets, multiple accounts per user, ability to attack c200.

What you should really demand is an owner who does some advertising. Even in its current shape more players than 1000 world wide should be possible.

But for that we need someone who cares. And this company here doesn't care. All they care is the domain name and you all will see it. PA will die and these guys will make a new game with the domain name as they announced before (we are working on a similar game" they said once).
That's why they strictly refuse to sell the game without even considering offers.

We have ben caught by some professional claws there..

And...

Unread 30 Jul 2013, 22:04   #73
Merlin
Wizard

Merlin is on a distinguished road
Angry Re: My 2 cents about the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urgamanix View Post

In any case, the ABSOLUTE first step is to get someone in charge who has the power to make changes and realise the vision. I wouldn't want to help anything if Jagex was still being fed the money.

Exactly, no owner yet has done a damned thing but hamstring PA crew, who all wring their hands and say they can't do anything about it.
Unread 31 Jul 2013, 08:19   #74
on99

on99 is on a distinguished road

at least, the misses isn't calling me nerd for some time while bcalcing on a sunday morning
on99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2013, 12:26   #75
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
What you should really demand is an owner who does some advertising.
Advertising the game as it is would be a waste of money.
Unread 31 Jul 2013, 19:57   #76
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

I have finally been able to talk directly with "a VERY senior" management-person in Jagex, and things are a bit more clear to me. Without saying anything wrong, I now know what they paid for the game, and I am completely shocked by it. The amount we would be talking about to make a sale happen is many many many times the amount we sold it to Jolt for back in the days. And there is no way I can get that kind of money to buy this kind of product, which is sad.
But to correct my earlier mistake: If the price was right, they would sell it, and, at least at the very top-level, there does not seem to be any ill will towards me, in no way.

So good luck onwards, still.
Unread 31 Jul 2013, 21:44   #77
Shev
So what?

That's what I figured. Sadly it's going to price anyone who might be interested out, I expect.

[RaH] [Mercenaries]
Unread 31 Jul 2013, 22:15   #78
Influence
Finally retired

Influence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to behold

kinda expected that they overpaid for it yeah. Problem they face now is with the game gone they will not get any return on their investment either, unless they got an entirely new game in the same genre near beta stage allready.

Might be time to cut their losses, and cash on whatever they can still get for it. But i can understand why they aren't ready to do that at this time yet tho. Especially with the type of licensing deal that i hear is being talked about with lunar_lamp still on the table too.

In the absence of the good old TiT alliance, look me up in VGN
Influence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2013, 22:15   #79
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Quote:
. The amount we would be talking about to make a sale happen is many many many times the amount we sold it to Jolt for back in the days.
Well as I recall you didn't sell it for that much... so your statement isn't saying that much, but yeah this makes the overall story of Jagex's ownership of PA make a lot more sense.

The thing is if they invested that much money in it they should either write it off and sell it for what they can (what I do with a bad investment when I make it), or come up with a business plan to make up for the mistake (and perhaps licensing it to LL would do that).

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2013, 22:30   #80
skiddy
wild one

One word. Crowdsourcing.

That may be two words, if you care about squiggly red lines underneath text.
Unread 31 Jul 2013, 22:39   #81
Korsan
Always MadcowS

In short: The price they demand nobody from the community here is able to pay, including Spinner (confirmed) and Lunar_Lamp (to be confirmed soon)
Indeed sad...

And...

Unread 1 Aug 2013, 00:25   #82
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Quote:
One word. Crowdsourcing.

That may be two words, if you care about squiggly red lines underneath text.
I believe you mean Crowdfunding

Unfortunately though, I don't see a crowdfunding campaign for PA raising the amount that is needed here, like, you know, a snowball, very hot place, and all that jazz....
Unread 1 Aug 2013, 02:28   #83
Clouds

Clouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
In short: The price they demand nobody from the community here is able to pay, including Spinner (confirmed) and Lunar_Lamp (to be confirmed soon)
Indeed sad...
Have you even been reading what's being said? Lunar_Lamp isn't in negotiations about buying the game, he is negotiating a licence deal.
Unread 1 Aug 2013, 02:31   #84
Clouds

Quote:
Unfortunately though, I don't see a crowdfunding campaign for PA raising the amount that is needed here
You would be very surprised who would be willing to donate to:

a) Keep the game running
b) Give it to an owner who cares
Unread 1 Aug 2013, 07:10   #85
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Considering how badly Spinner's AD2460 campaign is going, I think you're vastly overestimating the PA community's willingness to contribute to a project to buy PA.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 1 Aug 2013, 08:01   #86
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
Considering how badly Spinner's AD2460 campaign is going, I think you're vastly overestimating the PA community's willingness to contribute to a project to buy PA.
It is certainly doable if the price is right, there has been a ongoing discussion in the community about trying to race the funds needed for buying it, sadly, nobody knows what they want for it, so it has stalled

Unread 1 Aug 2013, 09:01   #87
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
It is certainly doable if the price is right, there has been a ongoing discussion in the community about trying to race the funds needed for buying it, sadly, nobody knows what they want for it, so it has stalled
I am not saying people are unwilling to talk about it. Talk is cheap. I'm saying they're unwilling to actually do it. Not because they're lying to us, but because they're lying to themselves. At best, they aren't even aware of being unwilling to actually do it. A crowdfunding campaign to buy PA will never get started. Even if it is, such a campaign would fail to raise more than twice of what the campaign for AD2460 has and will. Even if it does, Spinner's post leads me to suspect that even exceeding that expectation by an order of magnitude still wouldn't do the trick.

However, I am extremely optimistic about the odds that community will continue to talk about how very willing we are to buy PA.
Unread 1 Aug 2013, 09:21   #88
Tiamat101

Tiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the rough

Well, if we knew what kind of figure they would be looking for, to buy PA we might be getting somewhere. Considering how much we pay out just for one round:

About 200-300 planets pay for upgrades every round: 250x 5E = 1250E just in Upgrades.

Then all of the major ally fork out atleast 400E a round for sms and phone calls every round figure another 2-3kE so we are talking about roughly 4kE every round that we the community spend and I'm sure people could spare a bit more if we needed to buy out PA.

So my question is:

What kind of figure would we be talking about? 10kE 20kE?
Unread 1 Aug 2013, 10:16   #89
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamat101 View Post
So my question is:

My answer is:

Err, no.
Unread 1 Aug 2013, 10:27   #90
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Look, a straight sale will not happen, the kind of money they want for it makes that out of the question. They would have to drop the price 90% before I'd even be willing to discuss it. A crowdfunding-campaign has no chance to reach that kind of money, please trust me on this

But let's wait and see what Lunar can come up with, he might have an ace up his sleeve. (-:
Unread 1 Aug 2013, 11:57   #91
Tiamat101

Tiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the rough

Ultimately that was my question, was ~~~ what kind of figure would it take to just outright buy PA?

I wish LL the best, and it seems like they are making progress at least from what Appocomaster said. They are going to opening signups Friday.
Unread 1 Aug 2013, 12:36   #92
Phil M

Phil M is a jewel in the roughPhil M is a jewel in the roughPhil M is a jewel in the roughPhil M is a jewel in the rough

The only worthwhile thing left is the name and domain.

The amount of effort it would require to turn it into a friendly and intuitive game is significant. No amount of SMS billing, Facebook, adverts etc is going to change the fact that the game interface is so old and nearly impossible for new players to understand.

You only have to look at games like Imperion to see what Planetarion could've become if time and effort was spent on the UI, what the user experience could look like. I've never played that game, maybe the gameplay itself is awful - but you only have to look at a few screenshots. I'm sure some of the preview videos of AD2460 show the same thing.

Just let go. Focus on building better new games instead of letting nostalgia cloud your judgement that there's anything worthwhile left.
Phil M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2013, 13:20   #93
Mzyxptlk
mz.

I played the Imperion beta, 2 years ago and it was packed. I left around the same time several other high profile players left. I checked it out again a while back, but it looked like it had turned into a ghost town. I'm not sure if that's the right example to use.

The UI was pretty good though, I'll give you that.
Unread 1 Aug 2013, 15:55   #94
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Ultimately that was my question, was ~~~ what kind of figure would it take to just outright buy PA?

I wish LL the best, and it seems like they are making progress at least from what Appocomaster said. They are going to opening signups Friday.
I think Spinner implicitly answered your question - it's a lot more than 10k.

We're going to open signups tomorrow to allow for people to sign up and to start sorting out things like buddy packs and alliances and some planet setup. This is making the assumption that Lunar's discussions will be successful and that the game will continue, not that we have a 100% water tight and defined agreement.
Unread 1 Aug 2013, 16:32   #95
Monroe

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Quote:
My guess based on the hints Spinner has given (I have some recollection of what Spinner sold PA for) would suggest a purchase price of somewhere between 500kE and 1000kE, though it wouldn't surprise me if the number was even higher. If someone in the PA community has that kind of money and wanted to buy PA they'd almost certainly be better off hiring a new team to build a PA like game and recruit all of us to move over.

#strategy
Unread 1 Aug 2013, 16:41   #96
Shev
So what?

I'd be staggered if it was anything like that high.

[RaH] [Mercenaries]
Unread 1 Aug 2013, 17:19   #97
Monroe

Quote:
I'd be staggered if it was anything like that high.
A reasonable price for PA given it's current player base, code state, sentimental value, and historic brand name is probably somewhere between E35k-E100k. Some of you may be shocked about even these numbers, but I've bought and sold software companies in the past and valuation is just as much about perception as it is the actual financial fundamentals of a software product. I would imagine that somewhere in this range is where Spinner is willing to consider and since Spinner states that the price he's actually heard is quite a bit higher than what he is willing to consider then that puts my numbers in the ball park.

Shocking to the PA community? No doubt, but business valuation is a funny thing, and Jagex may have been sold a good story when they bought PA and thereby overpaid for it, which would mean they would need an even bigger amount to be willing to sell.

Now Lunar Lamp may be in an entirely different conversation with Jagex, and there are other ways they might be willing to sell at a much lower price (I can think of several proposals I might make them should I be interested in buying PA*), ones that would allow them to still profit should PA ever turn into a successful game. So as Spinner states, LL might have an ace up his sleeve, we'll all just have to stay tuned and see where things go.

*for the record I am not interested in buying PA, just an interested bystander like the rest of you.

#strategy

Last edited by Monroe; 2 Aug 2013 at 16:43.
Unread 2 Aug 2013, 02:24   #98
oil

oil is a splendid one to beholdoil is a splendid one to beholdoil is a splendid one to beholdoil is a splendid one to beholdoil is a splendid one to beholdoil is a splendid one to beholdoil is a splendid one to behold

Edit: discussion moved on a bit
oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2013, 15:13   #99
oil

oil is a splendid one to beholdoil is a splendid one to beholdoil is a splendid one to beholdoil is a splendid one to beholdoil is a splendid one to beholdoil is a splendid one to beholdoil is a splendid one to behold

Basically get a petition consisting of anyone with a userid and a history of buying credits and tell jagex that this many people are going to stop paying for the game if they don't sell it to someone who isn't going to watch the game slowly rot because they got ripped off to begin with. The community is highly connected and there's essentially no reason for why players wouldn't at the very least pledge to stop playing.
oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2013, 15:30   #100
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Jagex are not interested in running the game. What good would refusing to pay for a game do if it doesn't exist?

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 2 Aug 2013 at 15:39.