User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions

Unread 16 Oct 2006, 14:01   #1
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Recruitment Issue

If we look at the current alliance rankings there’s one thing that stands out and that’s how few members so many alliances have. Alliances are allowed 80 members with 60 counting towards the alliances score but only 5 have exceeded the counting limit let alone get close to the upper limit.

JBG even raises the issue in the Logbook with the comment

Quote:
Personally I'm surprised at ROCK, who have a fairly low member count in comparison to last round. Hopefully this is merely an opportunity for them to help integrate more new players into the game.
From an F-Crew POV we have found recruiting people to be extremely tough this round, with the increase in room in the most desirable alliances we lost a few good long term members who saw it as a now or never point and replacing them has seen us having to fight tooth and nail to get hold of new players. Thankfully we have a lot of history behind us which always helps and I don’t envy any alliance that doesn’t have such a history to call on under the current circumstances

So why is this? The obvious reason would be due to the fact that the top5 are allowed 15 members more each but with only the top 3 exceeding last rounds top5 limit this wouldn’t seem to be having that much of an effect.

Are there a number of alliances that are hiding or hiding members and will appear in due course? Are the none alliance PA players simply not active enough to be involved in alliances? Are there too many alliances resulting in members being spread too thin? Or are the alliances doing something wrong?

And what’s the outcome going to be with so many alliances seemingly struggling to reach a membership level that could be considered sustainable?

What do you lot think, I’m especially interested in hearing from those involved in “the usual suspects” when it comes to giving a lot of new players a chance or those struggling to attract a viable membership level
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2006, 14:28   #2
Ptraci

Ptraci is a jewel in the roughPtraci is a jewel in the roughPtraci is a jewel in the rough
Re: Recruitment Issue

As far as Insurrection is concerned, we're actually doing better this round recruitment-wise than we did last round at this stage in the game. At the end of last round we totalled 50 members (ish) most of whom have moved on to other alliances this round. I don't see Insurrection ever getting anywhere near the alliance limit of 80 due to the type of alliance we are - every round we play we're going to have mainly newcomers to planetarion and I would imagine the number of new players to PA is going to remain fairly constant, unless someone comes up with a brilliant marketing strategy for the game.

The requirement most alliances have that most members are IRC active does seem to put a lot of new players off joining an alliance. IRC can be a bit daunting the first time you join a channel, and setting up a client isn't easy unless you have someone to help/ some prior experience. A lot of the newer players don't appreciate how much more they'll get from the game by joining an alliance and getting on IRC to chat.

As far as non-alliance players go - there are a fair few out there, some of them may not want to join an alliance for the reasons I mentioned above, but I don't think that accounts for even the majority - it's difficult to find out why they don't join alliances as often they're quite hard to catch and talk to.

I think the smaller alliances in the game may well be forced to merge and form bigger alliances to try and sustain a decent membership level, they also will lose members to other, bigger alliances due to members being disatisfied with the limitations imposed by being in a small alliance.

I still haven't decided whether increasing the alliance limit was a good thing for planetarion as a whole or not. I think I'll wait and see how things play out this round.

r3 - r5 - Gondor alliance
r14 - Orbit member
r15 - Orbit DC
r15 - r17 - Orbit HC
r17 - r19 - Insurrection HC
Ptraci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2006, 15:28   #3
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
Are there a number of alliances that are hiding or hiding members and will appear in due course? Are the none alliance PA players simply not active enough to be involved in alliances? Are there too many alliances resulting in members being spread too thin? Or are the alliances doing something wrong?
From fear of turning this into a flame fest, I believe the answer to your question is that certain alliances are indeed hiding out of tag. I also believe that recruiting is still going on with many alliances including the more established ones and those at the top of the tree.

What would be appealing about an alliance out of the top 10, compared to alliances in the top 10 which may be accepting new applications.
Unread 16 Oct 2006, 15:42   #4
Lei~
~Gon

Lei~ is on a distinguished road

Whether allies are hiding members or not, which is a thing i won't argue about as its pointless, I think the ally limit is too high for the the current ammount of players. It draws away members from smaller alliances, who are in need of them and makes the top allies that much more powerful. I do exspect some allies to recruit to at least above 60 members in due time, whether that be people that arent yet added to the tag while being in the alliance already or simply new recruits, of whom i think there are quite some out there yet.

Of course the ammount of allies under a good command has risen in comparison to last round, but i still cannot really understand the decision to up the limit. After last round i had rather exspected the limit to be lowered, if it had to be changed at all.

Generally id find a limit of 50 ppl per alliance absolutely enough. But i generally am more fond of small and closeknit groups and while this might make it easier for smaller alliances to recruit, those same allies usually attract the less active players. Leading to them being unable to cover incomings at akward times cos there will be too few members online.
Unread 16 Oct 2006, 15:45   #5
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm in complete agreement, the raising of alliance limit baffled me. However like wakey mentioned in his first post it may be a good oppurtunity to move onto bigger and better things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakey
with the increase in room in the most desirable alliances we lost a few good long term members who saw it as a now or never point
I think this is good. Obviously the effect on wakeys alliance (F-Crew) isn't great. However it allows players to move up the pa ladder. Without this progression the game may just be the same old faces playing the same old faces. Hopefully players coming from F-Crew, SiN, Rock etc will be able to move up to the top tier of alliances and become top players in there own right.
Unread 16 Oct 2006, 15:54   #6
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

If older players are moving to 'bigger' alliances leaving a recruitment gap for 'smaller' alliances, then surely this is the perfect opportunity and incentive for those 'smaller' alliances (and arguably 'bigger' alliances too) to try bringing new players into the game to fill the gaps.

I'm not saying it's an easy solution, and that it's not been tried etc. I'm simply pointing out that the situation would seem to provide that extra bit of incentive to redouble efforts in this regard.
Unread 16 Oct 2006, 22:27   #7
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Id like to point out that the new PA renders defence more or less not very benefical so keeping people out of tag is more and more a viable option.

I think that the alliances around here "hiding" members benefits from it, or tries to benefit from it with the "confusion" tactic. But who are we really kidding everyone knows who are hiding members out of tag.
Unread 16 Oct 2006, 22:51   #8
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

/me uses his confusion tactic on Kargool

ROCK is bigger then eXi tho
I'm waiting for ROCK to make their career move and attack eXi to gain two ranks

- update: Oi rock just surpassed us by recruiting yet another planet
Watch out Exilition!!

Last edited by Alessio; 16 Oct 2006 at 23:24.
Alessio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Oct 2006, 00:09   #9
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Post|Mortum pa mail
Post|Mortum ola Mon, 16 Oct 22:32 Reply Report Delete

heartless by name cheating scumbag by nature
I am so sad now, after you recruited me with a hostmask called "heartless@....." :crymeariver:
Unread 17 Oct 2006, 09:21   #10
pig
1up on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless
I am so sad now, after you recruited me with a hostmask called "heartless@....." :crymeariver:
More details