User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 19 Jun 2006, 14:31   #51
aNgRyDuCk
Hired Thug

aNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Officers, a dying race?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
Okay, alot of interesting input here, we've narrowed it down to the fact that being a DC is the most "unrewarded" job in the alliance.

I wonder about some things i'd like to bounce with others.

What makes a DC good?

In what way is being a DC more difficult than being a BC (now that attacking tends to be more important than defending)

What other officer jobs are there than bc/dc? Recruitment, Intel? anything else?
a defense officer has to not only know the cover ships, and provided he has good tools at his disposal, be able to work fast, he also needs to know attack patterns for each race, and then there is the "guess" factor....so this guy/gal must be able to think quickly on their feet, make the best decision possible with imperfect information (with the lack of FA scaNS) AND not OVER cover or burn too many fleet slots when covering... hell of a tough job

as far as atack officers, there are two kinds..... the officer who finds a galaxy, gets it scanned, and post info on a bot in 15-30 minutes... and the officer who selects, calcs, and assigns targets for every member of the assault group...again, one hell of a tough time consuming job as you have to take into account the fact that he must know by view the overall make up of every members fleet and find targets that fit accordingly...

we've been blesed with officers who are capable of this, and it makes one hell of a difference. both are hard to find quality wise, and huge difference makers. Add to that, finding the people with those qualities, who will do it night after night, round after round, a good officer is as valuable as a fine gem.....

(keep in mind I've posted this without reading further, so my apologies if I've stepped on toes or commented on something that has already been pointed out)

there are players who pride themselves in the ability to provide their alliance with spy or covert operation skills....wouldn't neccesarily call them officers, as they do not generally have command roles in their alliance, more behind the scenes..... mostly it is someone who knows a lot of people and can pry information either by direct questioning, and using trust and friendship to be successful, or those who can obtain information by stealth, they are very rare and the latter is not quite as effective as in early PA rounds. Alliances have become more security concious. You always have 1 or two in every alliance, and trying to stop this is like trying to cure a rash by scratching it....it ain't gonna happen, and it will probably get worse... keep a watchful eye and you get lucky sometimes, but it's hard to pin these ppl down

Recruitment Officers come in handy but most alliances are prudent to atleast have a member or members of the HC involved in this aspect

Another Officer type I was always in favor of was morale officers... these ppl find shit for ppl to do between ticks, to keep them interested and active... sometimes your webby guy can double by creating stuf on your tools to occupy you..

Finally there is the clown... mascot etc..... and this player can fil the morale role also...he cuts up, usually sucks at PA, but keeps people laughing

Last edited by aNgRyDuCk; 19 Jun 2006 at 14:43.
aNgRyDuCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jun 2006, 15:08   #52
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome
i actually laughed aloud at the suggestion of some sort of "natural talent" involved with planetary management. though i suppose social skills and logic can be somewhat "natural", but still; hahaha.
You speak as someone who has achieved high ranks repeatedly. I speak as someone who crashes his fleet at least once a round, every round. Someone who's best rank is 186th.

I see no other way to explain the repeated successes of certain players other than through some form of natural talent. They may dominate their alliances and get some sort of advantage over their other members, but many are simply good at PA. For example, VGN has members who always challenge for top 100 spots, as well as others who...don't.
Unread 19 Jun 2006, 15:12   #53
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
I see no other way to explain the repeated successes of certain players other than through some form of natural talent. They may dominate their alliances and get some sort of advantage over their other members, but many are simply good at PA. For example, VGN has members who always challenge for top 100 spots, as well as others who...don't.
That's something everyone can do aslong as they're willing to put the effort into it. Not that it takes much effort to do so nowadays though
Unread 19 Jun 2006, 15:12   #54
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

As for skill involved in DCing/BCing, I'd say it's definitely an issue. I've seen people introduced to DCing or BCing from a similar level of PA experience and the difference is noticable, and even experienced DC or BCs can have that special something that differentiates them from people with the same, or even more experience.

Ducky mentions different types of officers, and he's spot on. There are people who play PA just to have a bit of fun, or just for the politics, or just to be a clown, & you can probably spot them in your own alliance. And again, there are people who have an affinity for numbers and messing around with fleets, some of whom prefer attack and some of whom prefer defence.

DCing in particular is a horrible idea to many, partly due to lower memberbase. With less members, you get less offers and it's less fun that way. You also get less recognition and there's far less glamour in it. I can remember a lot of times I've BCd and had fun results; people posting me breports as we land on huge planets, congratulating me on a nice fake or attack etc, but comparitively I can only remember very few fun battles from times I've DCd, and unless you commit a herculean effort, there is also less recognition.

One particularly noticable issue I've found, perhaps due to alliance limits now being smaller, is that no-one ever has the time to train up new officers because they're either exhausted from organising things, or they're busy with the new defcalls. For a new player, it doesn't really encourage you to want to do DCing, and in a smaller alliance there is also more accountability as you are likely to know who you're DCing for, and they are likely to find out you DCd it as well. If you make a mistake (and there have been some nasty fakes over the past few rounds), there is rarely a more experienced officer about with the time or effort to take a look at what you've done and made sure you've not screwed up.

I was lucky in that I started in ND, a community based & very un hardcore alliance in round 10. We didn't have much serious stuff to do, so in my first round I got to assign some fake attacks on top elysium planets for fun. Because when I started out there was no pressure, I got to teach myself and learn at my own pace. Bigger alliances now risk a lot more on individual attacks and defence (Again, smaller memberbase, one member is a higher proportion of your attack or defence power...) and simply can't afford to hand over hell hours to inexperienced officers.

So the best place to look for officers is probably in the smaller alliances, but that's poaching. :/
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jun 2006, 18:24   #55
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
It depends how many of you are on duty and what roles you play.
I was talking about me on my own.

Quote:
When I DCed, I usually had to scan the calls myself and tag them up, shouting for the appropriate ships at the same time. I usually handled SMSing members as well. Having people doing any of this for you is just cheating
You generally don't need scans, except with ziks. When members are properly active, SMSing isn't necessary.

Quote:
And 7 calls will never be a challenge. It's easy to tag up the calls within a few minutes, and then all you need to do is shout for ships. It's not intensive work.
When you care and people aren't offering you ships, and you're doing your very best to get them covered, it is hard work. Not only do you have to try and pull non-existent ships out of the woodwork, you also have to try to find galaxy members to send defence, arrange retals/fleetcatches on the planets attacking and try and find any way possible of making them recall.

Quote:
I agree, but it's all about having the right people around you. In lower-level alliances it's more a case of if you get offered ships, as opposed to when.
It's the same in any alliance if you're getting more incomming than you have members.
Unread 19 Jun 2006, 19:08   #56
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
You speak as someone who has achieved high ranks repeatedly. I speak as someone who crashes his fleet at least once a round, every round. Someone who's best rank is 186th.
get jgp's before you land...? :/
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jun 2006, 23:25   #57
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future

How about a gentlemans agreement for organised alliance attacks only during the day? In this blissful utopia, PA players would be able to experience the outside world, with such pleasures as women, fine wines and baby animals.

Please?
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 00:27   #58
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxi
How about a gentlemans agreement for organised alliance attacks only during the day? In this blissful utopia, PA players would be able to experience the outside world, with such pleasures as women, fine wines and baby animals.

Please?
That would require people being online daytime instead of night time How will they THEN be able to have a life?
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 00:58   #59
wielklem
retired

wielklem is an unknown quantity at this point

and when is daytime everyone on the world has a dif day time so we would have like 1 hour where its day for all
r3-r5 nub r8-r17, r19 tot/lch nub, r20-r22 CT nub, r23 inactive ToF
wielklem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 02:21   #60
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar
That would require people being online daytime instead of night time How will they THEN be able to have a life?
Every great idea has its tiny flaw.
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 17:06   #61
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Being an MO is easy, stressful at times but still easy, it's mostly just guessing the most likely attacking fleet from scans and matching it to the defence that's offered so sufficient losses are inflicted. The only complication is when you got a huge number of calls per tick and managing all the data, I just used to use a text documents for it, so long as you have half decent data management skills and can work well under pressure with tight time constraints then the job is easy. The worst bit is the hours staying up until 7AM and then getting a few hours sleep before having to get back up and do attack bookings and sort galaxy targets. The thought of all that makes me cringe I can't believe people still do it.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 21:43   #62
Dr_Zaius

Dr_Zaius has a spectacular aura aboutDr_Zaius has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treveler
What you need is stamina. There are DCs who can keep it going for 30 hours and yet still laugh at the poor sods that are off to bed. Personally I’m a wrack after 5-6 hours
I am NEVER DC'ing for 53 hours again. Not only was ti very tiringbut it slowed my process on the coursework I was meant to be writing :P

Dr_Zaius - Planetarion Support Team Member
Dr_Zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2006, 11:21   #63
rain

rain can only hope to improve

Whats required to make a good officer?
A lot of skill and stamina for start. Understanding of all attack strategies, tactics for each race, exact initiative and aproximative damage/armour for each ship, good math skills, fast thinking, being able to aproximate how a battle will go without using bcalc, ability to sort def calls by their importance, being able to extend available defence to cover max incomings posible, knowing alliance members like no one else, knowing how much defence was sent and how much is left, being able to fake and cross defence, where and what defence was sent last ticks and by who, being able to phone call/SMS ppl to send/pull/resend defence, and ultimately bit of respect and trust from alliance members. These are a few of the most important requirments to make a good DC. Cause there are DCs and good DCs. A good DC has the skill to finish in top100 anytime. A good DC stays for the entire night, as he/she's the only one knowing where alliance's defence ships are. A good DC knows exactly how much to care about roids lost from uncovered calls. Alliance activity counts, covering the calls in the first 5-10 minutes means rest for DC on duty for the whats left of the tick. Having one or more def calls uncovered and constantly ask for defence and not getting anything is not only stressful but demoralising too. Being DC for a top alliance helps and also it's easier than DCing for small ones. More active ppl -> more def calls covered -> good morale. There are few types of DCs. Those who do it as a necessity for alliance and don't enjoy it as much as those who are doing it for own pleasure, being bored and having a bit of fun this way with alliance defence ships or those asking for attention, aiming a higher position in alliance, or just enjoying having the control. While any of those can make a fine DCs, I consider first the best, although they'll easily run out of stamina. There are plenty of ppl out there able to do the job right, though few are willing to do it and do it best. The importance of officers in planetarion? Close to that of a HC in charge of politics in a top alliance, even bigger for smaller alliances. BC > DC in small alliances and top ones. Attacking the right gals/planets and the perfect moment can bring your alliance precious roids. Sending attack fleets to bad(although big roid) targets can drag back your alliance in top, along with morale of its members. Is DCing easier than BCing? Yes. Does it require less skill and dedication? Definitely NO.
Just a friendly advice to all HCs out there. When choosing your officers, do it carefully. Although sometimes you don't have a choice and you have to pick the first commer and maybe the only willing to do it. Better do it yourself, as HCs should be the ultimate DC/BC in an alliance(HC is the complete player), since sometimes this things make all the difference in a game where any detail counts, any bug is exploited and all your adversaries watch you closely just waiting for a mistake to get you.
Unread 21 Jun 2006, 11:48   #64
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain
A good DC has the skill to finish in top100 anytime.
I thought this was an interesting point. Do you mean play 100% totally for their alliance and still finish t100 or do you mean that if they so chose they could end t100 any time? These are rather different sets of circumstances.
Unread 21 Jun 2006, 15:01   #65
rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
I thought this was an interesting point. Do you mean play 100% totally for their alliance and still finish t100 or do you mean that if they so chose they could end t100 any time? These are rather different sets of circumstances.
Hmm, I have to admit I didn't think that far.
Somehow I was thinking at a top 100 of players skills I guess, top you won't find anywhere and it can be and usually is very different to real planet score t100. Cause you see, some can finish top100 logging twice a day, not being an elite player and not being part of a top10 alliance, simply by being part of a top galaxy, getting galaxy support, being left alone by big alliances who are too busy fighting eachother, as well as some very active skillful, top alliance player might finish close to top100, but not t100, only because his/her bp/gal sux or because his alliance had bloody wars the entire round and sometimes, even is he's the worse target in gal, he's still the only one getting incoming, and not only one wave. There are a lot of factors that influence final planet rankings. Playing 100% for your alliance it's a figure of speech really. You can't play only for your alliance, can't defend all the time and don't attack at all. Simply because it's inefficient. You're planet will stay small while others will grow one way(value) or another(XP), eventually you won't be so much of a help for your alliance. From that point of view I'd categorise the playing styles in two: defensive and offensive. While playing offensive will benefit more your planet, getting you extra roids/value and xp and ultimatelly a higher final rank, it won't help your alliance/gal so much and viceversa. Finding the perfect combination, knowing exactly when to attack and when to defend with 3 fleets, when to defend in gal and when to defend in ally, when to keep your ships home for defence cause your planet and/or your gal is roid fat, these are things that can't be taught, they're included in each player's personal skill/xp portfolio. As well as teaching how to DC. Being or willing to be a new DC means you're already a skillful player, the only things you might learn are the basic DC tricks that you need beside PA skills, tricks that can be taught in few minutes.
To complete the answer to your question JBG, a full job DC will most likely never win a PA round, being an officer/HC means you put your alliance first, otherwise you're not a real officer/HC, you're a joke. Having your alliance as #1 priority means your planet isn't #1, means you have less time for your planet than you would normally have, means lower final rank.

Last edited by rain; 21 Jun 2006 at 15:11.
rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2006, 15:24   #66
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Playing 100% for your alliance it's a figure of speech really.
Nowadays with the alliance rankings I'd say playing 100% for your alliance is trying to get your alliance score as high as possible regardless of if you have to suicide your entire fleet one tick before the round ends. However that doesn't include things like the future of your alliance.

One other thing I'd mention in terms of the difficulty in DCing is knowing how much incoming to expect, I reckon this also falls under an intel officer's purview, and knowing which fleets to use and when so as to maximise efficiency. This round, while scanning, I found a lot of people would leave their attack fleets at home. The amount of ghosts I saw used as anti-cr was scary at times. However personally I felt that most likely this indicated a lack of decent attacks in the middle-tier alliances and an unwillingness to attack from many members after a number of failures. This helped make r17 much more of a stagnatory, ie non-roid-swapping, round than r16 (not that that one was perfect obviously heh). Apologies for the little tangent there and nice post.
Unread 21 Jun 2006, 15:43   #67
rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
One other thing I'd mention in terms of the difficulty in DCing is knowing how much incoming to expect, I reckon this also falls under an intel officer's purview, and knowing which fleets to use and when so as to maximise efficiency.
I had this on my first post, then removed it. Kinda hard to tell, yet posible to aproximate the amount of incomings to come. At one point, you'll even know what tick a certain alliance will launch its first wave and how many hostiles to expect, though you can expect let's say ~5 incoming fleets next tick, in stead you'll have 10(8 being from same class, which means you're kinda fcked as DC), or it can be 2-3 inc fleets only, easy to cover. That's why it's kinda hard to say what's coming next tick. But knowing a few things about politics, added to alliance average roid/value ratio, war or peace, and few other factors, can get you very close sometimes. Not sure if it helps though, as I doubt any DC will leave calls uncovered only to save some def ships for next tick(s). On the other side, while DCing, I always kept my ships for last and only sent them when there wasn't any other hope. Having ships saved from active ppl always helps.

Last edited by rain; 21 Jun 2006 at 16:49.
rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2006, 18:20   #68
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Not sure if it helps though, as I doubt any DC will leave calls uncovered only to save some def ships for next tick(s). On the other side, while DCing, I always kept my ships for last and only sent them when there wasn't any other hope. Having ships saved from active ppl always helps.
Agreed, saving your own ships is crucial, because you're when you're going to bed and can thus save your ships 'till they are needed the most.

Admittedly, it's a long time since I played, but as far as saving ships by letting someone go uncovered goes, any DC worth his own weight in salt will occasionally. Sometimes there's just too much coming at one planet, and your members aren't going to be happy if you totally dry up defense just before shit hits the fan. At the end of the day, total roid-count is what matters.

Still back in the days atleast, DC'ing and playing were two very different skills.. Most DC's would ensure no roid losses through massive killing on the first 4-5 incomings, and when defence dried up and incomings kept piling up they'd shout at the online members sitting there smugly thinking how good DC's they were being able to spam-notice the channel every single minute for 4 hours.

In reality, regular anti-roid DC'ing was a matter of getting a feel for how much defence you need to send for the attacker to want to recall, and not for how much to send to "cover" the incoming, and calcing isn't going to help much there.. You need to take into account the roid count / galaxy of the attacker (people in 'safe' galaxies were often willing to pay *alot* pr roid) and the general state of the game. You also have to spot when the incoming is 'war'-like; ie the attacker is going for the kill and probably is willing to land as long as he kills more than you. I think atleast 80% of the DC's out there regurarly over-covered as a rule of tumb and atleast 50% of the DC's didn't know the ship-effencies/targetting well enough.

It does however take character to "stand up" to HC/members when the occasional ugly'ish battle occurs because somebody who should have recalled didn't. The losses you take extra from the occasional not-overcovered battle was always far outweighed by the massive amount of roids/fleet you saved/freed up though.
Unread 23 Jun 2006, 15:09   #69
rshih
Aaranaf's Master

rshih is just really nicershih is just really nicershih is just really nicershih is just really nicershih is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzelaar
This is how it's been done in 1up since the beginning.
Don't lie mazz, you kno you're about as useful as Zhil, only coming on to say "give me a targ" and fking off
R3: nub R10: 12:9:1 to 9:7:3 G Rank #14 P Rank #194
R4: 275:6:13 R10.5: 17:9:9 quitter
R5: 4:8:4 to 35:11:x R11: 15:4:9 G Rank #10 P Rank #32
R6: 22:22:11 R12: 29:8:9
R7: 8:16:9 G Rank #52 R13: Forgot
R9: 52:6:5 for a week R14: Forgot
R9.5: 12:7:17 G Rank #17 R17: 14:3:6 G Rank #6 P Rank #9

[1up] Peon
rshih is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jun 2006, 08:53   #70
Assassin
PA Ancient

Assassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshih
Don't lie mazz, you kno you're about as useful as Zhil, only coming on to say "give me a targ" and fking off

I wouldnt say your to useful either

Ever been attacked by a p3nguin? You get left a bit black and white!

p3nguin Founder
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jun 2006, 16:16   #71
Dr_Zaius

Dr_Zaius has a spectacular aura aboutDr_Zaius has a spectacular aura about

I needed an answer for my competency questions on a job app for a "systematic approach", it had to be an example from work or hobbies, this is what I used and I thought it was intresting to see it put into business terms :P

As defence co-ordinator of my alliance in an internet based MMPOG (massively multi-player online game), I analyse incoming data and estimate the most likely scenario. Having checked this information is likely to be accurate, I request resources from other players in my alliance and determine how best to use these resources in order minimise damage and/or loss. Due to a constantly changing game environment I continually adjust and improve my handling of these situations.

Dr_Zaius - Planetarion Support Team Member
Dr_Zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jun 2006, 17:11   #72
Assassin
PA Ancient

Assassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Zaius
I needed an answer for my competency questions on a job app for a "systematic approach", it had to be an example from work or hobbies, this is what I used and I thought it was intresting to see it put into business terms :P

As defence co-ordinator of my alliance in an internet based MMPOG (massively multi-player online game), I analyse incoming data and estimate the most likely scenario. Having checked this information is likely to be accurate, I request resources from other players in my alliance and determine how best to use these resources in order minimise damage and/or loss. Due to a constantly changing game environment I continually adjust and improve my handling of these situations.

I sujest you take some time away from PA

Ever been attacked by a p3nguin? You get left a bit black and white!

p3nguin Founder
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jun 2006, 17:49   #73
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome
i actually laughed aloud at the suggestion of some sort of "natural talent" involved with planetary management. though i suppose social skills and logic can be somewhat "natural", but still; hahaha.
With natural talent some people are better able to learn how to be a DC/BC/MO while others just seem to never get it no matter how you try to train them. Maybe the natural talent is the ability to learn and listen which unfortunately cannot be taught as people are either willing to learn and listen or they are not or for some reason cannot.

One solution would be to elimitate officers altogether. Let everyone call their own defense and find others willing to send ships. The only problem is when they are asleep or away from the game.

People could find their own targets and just clear them with an ARBY or a person with ARBY access. Not sure how much this is needed when BC's are not tough to find.

You could bribe people to be officers by giving them a credit to play each round. Some alliances use this tactic to get scanners.
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jun 2006, 18:38   #74
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society

(I'm still speaking out of Old-PA experience)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travler
With natural talent some people are better able to learn how to be a DC/BC/MO while others just seem to never get it no matter how you try to train them. Maybe the natural talent is the ability to learn and listen which unfortunately cannot be taught as people are either willing to learn and listen or they are not or for some reason cannot.
I've always found it convinient to measure people's incompetence rather than their competence, as the wast majority of people are stupid or/and unknowledgeable.
Quote:
One solution would be to elimitate officers altogether. Let everyone call their own defense and find others willing to send ships. The only problem is when they are asleep or away from the game.
Bah, DC's are (were) bad enough at overcovering already. When you have random people covering their own incomings, they usually really, really ridicously overcover because they think it's funning see green stuff flying at their planet (not that I blame then, because it really is).. they just don't have the perspective needed, as they're not the ones that are going to be screaming for def in two hours.
Quote:
People could find their own targets and just clear them with an ARBY or a person with ARBY access. Not sure how much this is needed when BC's are not tough to find.
An here comes the difference between war and regular raiding. In war, you need BC's, as you're trying to take out an alliance, so timing and co-ordination between raids is paramount. When roiding, you're just hoping to get through randomly, and any member can, and should be allowed to, set up this themselves.

(why arby with capital letters? Arby is short for arbiter)
Quote:
You could bribe people to be officers by giving them a credit to play each round. Some alliances use this tactic to get scanners.
Scanners always was a bitch to find. As a DC, I soon learnt you either had to partly cripple your own planet going for scans early, or cheat using a scan-planet* (scanners are nice for scanning galaxies/targets, but they're never there at night when you need them)... which is why it was fairly interesting seeing somebody mentioning in this thread that you *had* to be top-100 player to be a god DC. Guess what I thought about that? Cheeeaters..

* I cheated r5, but Chax forced me onto the narrow part when I joined Pepsi. Going Xan always helped though, as you didn't need to rush for bigger ships..
Unread 25 Jun 2006, 18:42   #75
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyfe
Scanners always was a bitch to find. As a DC, I soon learnt you either had to partly cripple your own planet going for scans early, or cheat using a scan-planet* (scanners are nice for scanning galaxies/targets, but they're never there at night when you need them)
Very very true. I always had to cripple my own planet
Unread 25 Jun 2006, 18:46   #76
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

When someone complains about a DC (doing umpteen calls in the early hours, stressed and tired and make a mistake) whilst not doing the role themselve(s) I am usually the first person to shut them up.
2 things you never take for granted in an ally is scanners and DCs

But Just because you are a HC doesnt mean you can neglect your "bread and butter" duties (I generally excuse ali because he is the tech boffin) aswell I still do my shift.
If you can work a calc/bot and have a fundamental understanding of the stats then you should volunteer for duties instead of bitching.

A good DC knows how to make the most of the fleets they get offered.
Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jun 2006, 18:59   #77
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
To complete the answer to your question JBG, a full job DC will most likely never win a PA round, being an officer/HC means you put your alliance first, otherwise you're not a real officer/HC, you're a joke. Having your alliance as #1 priority means your planet isn't #1, means you have less time for your planet than you would normally have, means lower final rank.
The way I look at it, I owe my rank to my ally (not to forget my gal m8s)
If I have to compensate them with my DC/BCing then it is the least I can do.

Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 20:36   #78
tombcfc
thomus always sober...

tombcfc is an unknown quantity at this point

I like to DC, covering someones incs so the attacker cant land brings me great satisfaction and yes it is alot harder to find good officers in today PA than PA of the past. As appreciation subh offers to all those who excell or contribute more than they should a credit, this is as much appreciation as you can give apart from tell them how great they are every 5 mins
Unread 27 Jun 2006, 02:52   #79
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Agreed Assassin. rshih, Mazz and Zhil, what a combination it's a wonder 1up are a Top 20 alliance !

Pepsi member admitting cheating ! I always knew it you filthy good for nothing Xanadu bastards ! just kidding Do you speak to Chax anymore ? He was a top guy used to have some good chats with him late at night when all the red was starting
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jun 2006, 19:00   #80
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks
Agreed Assassin. rshih, Mazz and Zhil, what a combination it's a wonder 1up are a Top 20 alliance !

Pepsi member admitting cheating ! I always knew it you filthy good for nothing Xanadu bastards ! just kidding Do you speak to Chax anymore ? He was a top guy used to have some good chats with him late at night when all the red was starting
Haven't seen him since r7 I think.

Bah, I won't mention a certain wing of Xanadu and a certain HC who re-recruited members Chax kicked for cheating. Among Chax' "crowd" I can honestly say I doubt there was any cheaters. Having had a scan-planet one round (I was still a noob!), and then stopped I was probably amoung the bad apples
Unread 18 Jul 2009, 11:21   #81
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

I mostly do twink PvP in WoW nowadays
Unread 19 Jul 2009, 20:06   #82
Machado
Seraphim

Machado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the rough

In my opinion its not officers, but the whole idea of officers that's proving to be more and more obsolete and old-fashioned in a community where player networks span across relatively large part of the increasingly - veteran - (hmm, arguably) community.

Depriving your members of information and authority which they can use for the good of the alliance, and mostly are willing to learn use purely for the simple fact that it helps them - dc their own incs, for example - is horribly inefficient and outdated. A system where anybody has to ask a supposedly superior player (which is definitely not always the case - if you can recruit untrustworthy and irresponsible players you can recruit similar officers) to for example check the arbiter, is based on the wrong foundations.

Its maybe good if you have a small group of capable and trusted players, inside a larger group of incapable people. And even then, you're still just holding back their potential and your own resources.
Unread 31 Jul 2009, 10:13   #83
Kattepis
De aroma komt je tegemoet

Kattepis is infamous around these parts

It all comes back to one thing.

PA needs more players it will solve alot of things and makes the game more interesting.

Pa team start advertising!
Unread 31 Jul 2009, 11:46   #84
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattepis View Post
It all comes back to one thing.

PA needs more players it will solve alot of things and makes the game more interesting.

Pa team start advertising!
Advertising does not help. Keep in mind that a lot of people played this game already in their earlier time, and then there is also a huge amount of competitors available in the browser game market, so you actually have to deliver a bit more than the limited stuff Planetarion gives.
Unread 31 Jul 2009, 19:09   #85
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

This game only comes alive when most people are sleep, you wont find that in many other games. Many people who are in PA would most likely now be in full time employment, and staying up till 4am in the morning just doesnt work anymore.

PA isnt a quick gaming fix for an hour at a normal time of day.

In the beginning alliance were not as coordinated as they are now, but then the playerbase was also huge and solo players could actually land attacks (on other solo players).

So yes being a Officer/DC isnt a good work v reward job.

And no alliance limits do not have a huge effect on Officer numbers. If you only have 1 in 10 people willing to take on a role. Than having a large alliance base means those DC will have to look after more people (quantity of officers does not change in size).

I do see many times that a huge number of DC's are online, but afk and leads to only one who got caught chatting in alliance channel to get the burden of handling all the calls.

Being a DC has frustration coming from lack of people online (2am-8am). Being a BC is a couple hour job at a normal time of day (6-9pm).

I think a poll should be done, on if you still enjoy playing PA.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2009, 19:34   #86
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

HaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura about

I actually enjoy 12 hour DC shifts, but i always regreat it the day after so i try to atleast not do it 2 or 3 nights in a row
HaNzI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2009, 04:08   #87
Fuzzy
White Van Man Champion, Squirrel Soccer Champion, Spider Jump Champion

Fuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to beholdFuzzy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
Being a BC is a couple hour job at a normal time of day (6-9pm).
depends on your definition of BC'ing and the quality/activity levels of those you are BC'ing for really

though i prefer BC'ing to DC'ing by a massive margin.
#1 gal r29 - 1:10 ftw \o/
son of BENNEH, brother of bread| (former son of eksero )

"You cant say an alliance lost, when they finished 2nd" - Light, 2009
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2009, 13:26   #88
Donar

Donar is just really niceDonar is just really niceDonar is just really niceDonar is just really nice

being a DC is only fun when you actually have fleets to work with, sadly in most ally's this isn't the case. the early hours are bad for DC's.
Unread 22 Aug 2009, 16:48   #89
cha^
King of EMO

cha^ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post
Full job DC will most likely never win a PA round, being an officer/HC means you put your alliance first, otherwise you're not a real officer/HC, you're a joke. Having your alliance as #1 priority means your planet isn't #1, means you have less time for your planet than you would normally have, means lower final rank.
I agree on the "alliance first policy, totally". There are few dc's who actually do "leech def" a bit but HCs are too weak to stop it as the person who does it probably has dc'd most of the calls aswell. At least thats what happened last round in Alliance X and with member X. Over covering your waves so you dont have to recall ur attack when others would had needed defence aswell. That makes people to lose theyr "trust" with officers and that gives whine, and whine makes some of the officers not wanting to DC after a round. Of course the person who gives so much effort to alliance and DCs pretty much every single inc on the "rush hour" on theyr own, should probably get some "extras". But still fair is fair.
Unread 22 Aug 2009, 19:05   #90
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

That post is 3 years old, a few things have changed since then.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 2009, 09:00   #91
cha^
King of EMO

cha^ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
That post is 3 years old, a few things have changed since then.
Clearly but luckily i was uber bored, so that helped me to lose 5mins of my life