User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 7 Feb 2006, 16:58   #1
Desse
Pr0nstar

Desse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud of
Maxmising your XP

Hi All.

It has today come to my attention that a new way of maximising your XP is available and approved by PA-team.

The way to use it is this:

If you have a lot of stored ressources and are eta2 to a landing.

Seconds after you tick from eta2 to eta1 you spend all your ressources.
When all have ticked your value will be recalced and dropped according to the spent ressources. (If you spend 2 million of each, it translates into 40K value).

Now after your new value have been calced, you cancel your production and get all your ressources back. (No production Penalty).

Next tick you land, but your value is the "artificially lowered one" being calced against your targets value.
Hence you get the extra XP from this.

The answer from PA-Team is that it is ok to use this method to maximise your XP:

11:55 "xxx" so its ok to use this exploitation atm ?
11:56 "Appocomaster" yes

The reason I am going public with this is because that everyone should be entitled to use it, and not only the people "in the know".

I donīt know how many have been using it or are using it, and I donīt care. Everyone should just have the chance at least.

Ascendancy - While you were trying, we were sleeping

(@Karmulian) i deffo got roided looking at my planets
Desse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 17:07   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Maxmising your XP

not sure if its really an exploit, theres nothing happening in the game which technically shouldnt.
Its been known about ever since XP was brought in, to maximise the amount you got by spending before you landed - but spending during while it was ticking and cancelling later is something i wasnt aware was going on. From what i was aware of, once you ordered ships, you kept the order going

strictly speaking, the only way to prevent it is for pateam to make spending resources impossible while the game is ticking ( since this is when the res is spent, for the value to be calculated without a production penalty for cancelling afterwards )
Still though, wonder how many others would have actually made it public knowledge , the exact steps required for all to use this. Kudos to you
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 17:07   #3
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I replied as I did because due to the nature of production and when value / score is calculated, this "bug" exists. It does reward the active players - I've got no doubt that some of the top players last round did similar things. Without changing the production system somehow (like changing back to the standard 50% refund after placing an order) or doing something like Phil suggested above, it's impossible to fix the situation, and it's not really that easy to monitor people doing it even if we wanted to punish them. As for most people their free resources don't make up that huge a % value of their score (certainly not more than say, 5-10%), while this may give an XP bonus to attackers (or an XP loss to attackers if defenders do it), it comes at a price of being on a lot more - certainly for combat. As such I (personally) don't have too much of a problem with the idea of much higher activity gaining a slight XP / score bonus over the round.
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 18:15   #4
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
it's impossible to fix the situation
heh.

Quote:
and it's not really that easy to monitor people doing it even if we wanted to punish them. As for most people their free resources don't make up that huge a % value of their score (certainly not more than say, 5-10%), while this may give an XP bonus to attackers (or an XP loss to attackers if defenders do it), it comes at a price of being on a lot more - certainly for combat. As such I (personally) don't have too much of a problem with the idea of much higher activity gaining a slight XP / score bonus over the round.
I think you're overlooking the obvious here. The worst abuse of this isn't to get a little extra XP, it's to work around the bashlimit when the majority of your value is tied in resources. In other words, top planets can use this to circumvent the bashlimit.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 18:25   #5
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
I think you're overlooking the obvious here. The worst abuse of this isn't to get a little extra XP, it's to work around the bashlimit when the majority of your value is tied in resources. In other words, top planets can use this to circumvent the bashlimit.
you can't launch a fleet while it is ticking though

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 18:29   #6
Desse
Pr0nstar

Desse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
You missed the point. You can launch the Fleets while the value is artificially lowered.

Ascendancy - While you were trying, we were sleeping

(@Karmulian) i deffo got roided looking at my planets
Desse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 18:30   #7
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
Code:
------------------------------------------------> The Point

o/
/|
/ \
Kal
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 18:31   #8
Rikard
Rebellion Rebelleader

Rikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
Still though, wonder how many others would have actually made it public knowledge , the exact steps required for all to use this. Kudos to you
Quoted for truth

Also since this bug appearently exists and can be exploited, wouldnt it be better to make it fully legal by giving back 100% resources the 2nd tick of production aswell? That will make dropping your score for 1 tick a valid and accepted tactic, instead of the abuse of a bug that cant be fixed it is today. Either that or just make it impossible to order ships during tick?

Edit: Hal is kinda cute on that pic :/

<zhil|reportwrit> Rikard - I dont know you
<zhil|reportwrit> so you're insignificant

eXilition - LCH - Destiny - Conspiracy - Night Witches - eXcessum
Rikard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 19:07   #9
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
I think this is pretty irrelevant anyway. The bash limit is there to stop people being 'bashed' by people with much bigger fleets; to stop hideously unfair fights. If spending resources lowers your value sufficiently, then obviously the fleet discrepancy that the bash limit is meant to address doesn't exist (the only way it would is if the planet being hit had lots of value in resources, in which case they are probably trying to keep themselves artificially small anyway and deserve whatever is coming).
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 20:00   #10
SteInMetz
NewDawn
Sofa Longjump Champion

SteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to behold

It can also be use to "hide" saved up resources, i know for a fact that some top planet used this tactic last round..

They bought ships right after tick, and cancelled right before tick, and you could only see the resources in a timelimit of 30seconds or so, which meant when they were active they could hide shitloads of resources..

Proud to be Newdawn
SteInMetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 21:26   #11
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

Nice of you to reveal this tip Desse for all us not in the know
Unread 6 Jun 2006, 14:33   #12
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

Gio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond repute

As I said already once, just change the formula to calculate a players value, and give the same score to resources unspent, in production, or spent in ships.
That would solve everybodys problem.
Edit: Oops, old thread, i see
Unread 10 Jun 2006, 00:14   #13
rshih
Aaranaf's Master

rshih is just really nicershih is just really nicershih is just really nicershih is just really nicershih is just really nice

Used this tactic sooooo much at start and end of this round. Sorta got lazy towards the middle o_O
R3: nub R10: 12:9:1 to 9:7:3 G Rank #14 P Rank #194
R4: 275:6:13 R10.5: 17:9:9 quitter
R5: 4:8:4 to 35:11:x R11: 15:4:9 G Rank #10 P Rank #32
R6: 22:22:11 R12: 29:8:9
R7: 8:16:9 G Rank #52 R13: Forgot
R9: 52:6:5 for a week R14: Forgot
R9.5: 12:7:17 G Rank #17 R17: 14:3:6 G Rank #6 P Rank #9

[1up] Peon
rshih is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2006, 08:30   #14
Banned
Banned

Quote:
I'd just like to say I told you so.
Unread 10 Jun 2006, 08:41   #15
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I'd just like to say I told you so.
You should fight crime!
Unread 10 Jun 2006, 12:42   #16
Anonymous Hero
I can be your hero!

Anonymous Hero is on a distinguished road

Are any of these bugs being fixed for any future round?

Hiding resources in ship production could be easily fixed with the planet scan. Lowering score before battle could be prevented with transactions, or simply give resources in production a value towards the planet.
Anonymous Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2006, 12:51   #17
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

what is actually wrong with giving resources the same value as produced ships, and same with ships in production to produced ships?
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2006, 21:35   #18
rshih
Aaranaf's Master

rshih is just really nicershih is just really nicershih is just really nicershih is just really nicershih is just really nice

jerome = hero
R3: nub R10: 12:9:1 to 9:7:3 G Rank #14 P Rank #194
R4: 275:6:13 R10.5: 17:9:9 quitter
R5: 4:8:4 to 35:11:x R11: 15:4:9 G Rank #10 P Rank #32
R6: 22:22:11 R12: 29:8:9
R7: 8:16:9 G Rank #52 R13: Forgot
R9: 52:6:5 for a week R14: Forgot
R9.5: 12:7:17 G Rank #17 R17: 14:3:6 G Rank #6 P Rank #9

[1up] Peon
rshih is offline   Reply With Quote