User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 29 Jan 2006, 05:31   #1
Slowfinger
Registered Abuser

Slowfinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Skill vs Bcalc

After reading the Activity vs Skill thread, i wondered what defines a skilled player. Is it his ability to pick targets from a list? His ability to stay up til/wake up at 6am to launch? Or is it his ability to use a battle calculator? Imho bcalcs (altho they are a useful tool for training newbies on the combat engine) takes maybe 90% of what raw talent people have, out of the game. That just leaves the winner down to having the best alliance, friends, luckiest galaxy (with exiles) and luckiest attacks. I'm pretty sure the stats were meant to be read by people not by calculators.

r16 - 82nd.
r17+ Sabbatical.
r43 - the temptation was too great.
Slowfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 08:00   #2
Teargas
Aberrant Shadows

Teargas will become famous soon enoughTeargas will become famous soon enough
Re: Skill vs Bcalc

I don't even use stats to find my target. I go clicking through different galaxies until I find something I like. Following this I check a list of targets I wrote down and do my scans and if I like what I see I move to making a fleet.

Round 2-10: None
Round 15-16: [BIG]
IRC: Tchort / Frank
Teargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 09:03   #3
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I don't see anything wrong with bcalcs, there can be a lot of skill involved with sending the right fleet, working out what the enemy will have at the planet and so on. That's why there are players that will end up with top 100 planets round after round when other members of the same alliance who might be just as active... don't.

Particularly for DCs or BCs; there is a huge gap in quality between your average DC/BC and a top draw DC/BC and, tbh, I think that's where most of the skill in the game is; in controlling the fleets of your alliance.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 09:35   #4
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Spotting fakes. Now that military scans have disappeared, we see alot of fakes. While it doesn't apply to every fleet, you can often work out at least the probability of a fake fleet.

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 10:48   #5
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

Decent MO's (or DC's) don't need battlecalcs, they look and can see exactly what is needed within a few seconds. Battlecalcs would only be used to confirm what's needed or to store a record of the battle in case it is needed later. When running defence calls, battlecalcs can take too long to use at busy periods.
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 11:16   #6
Buddah
Knight of Ni!

Buddah is a jewel in the roughBuddah is a jewel in the roughBuddah is a jewel in the roughBuddah is a jewel in the rough

bcalc would be used in bigger battles atleast, in smaller battles quite a few dcs knows how much it takes to cover xxFR or xxCo etc.
Buddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 13:13   #7
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Battlecalcs were needed a lot more in the "older" days, when there was T1/T2/T3 and you had to work out who was hitting what when.

Now it isn't too difficult, as there's only one or two ships going to be hitting you when you land. A quick calculation in your head of armour of them, and armour of you (and the same for damage), and you're ok.
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 13:59   #8
Anonymous Hero
I can be your hero!

Anonymous Hero is on a distinguished road

Both battlecalcs and sites which use the botfiles changed Planetarion into a different game from the very first couple of rounds.

It's just a different kind of skill. Before players looking through galaxies themselves and found a good target and sent a large amount of ships, these days people will find optimal targets and only send exactly what they need.

As long as everyone has access to the same utilities everything is fair.
Anonymous Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 14:01   #9
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashar
Decent MO's (or DC's) don't need battlecalcs, they look and can see exactly what is needed within a few seconds. Battlecalcs would only be used to confirm what's needed or to store a record of the battle in case it is needed later. When running defence calls, battlecalcs can take too long to use at busy periods.
Thats true, good MOs can usually see whats needed and call for it, if they have looked at the stats enough, they will know how much is needed for coverage etc, if they don't, they will set up a calc while calling for def.
The calcs are usually handy for showing that you have covered etc.
_Kila_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 14:36   #10
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I only use battlecalcs for big Zik incs. The rest is easily done through a basic targetting bot: e.g.

[13:30] <furball> !kill by 100 recluse
[13:30] <|VGNdef|> 100 recluse(s) will freeze: 188 Gryphon(s) 163 Phoenix(s) 404 Beetle(s) 369 Viper(s) 708 Fireblade(s) 566 Arrowhead(s) 653 Dagger(s) 653 Thief(s)
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 15:49   #11
MegaNova
m33p

MegaNova is a jewel in the roughMegaNova is a jewel in the roughMegaNova is a jewel in the roughMegaNova is a jewel in the rough

Skill is also building the correct ships.
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 15:58   #12
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of

Bcalcs are to PA as regular calculators are to maths. Sure you can know how to do the sums in your head, but sometimes you just want to make you're getting the right answer. There will always be larger battles you can't keep track of entirely, and will want to check with a bcalc.

Imho the skill lies not in throwing a few fleets into a calc and seeing which combination gets the best results, but in building the fleet that can survive more than just the prelaunch calc, such as external defense or additional ordered ships. Knowing about and being able to counter enemy tactics before you've even launched is where skill comes in.
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 22:49   #13
s7n
7ish

s7n is an unknown quantity at this point

Skill also includes the managment of all your ships, not wasting any time of them, if there at home not wait until next pick in ally chan, ask for retal or fake someone, or send out defence.