User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 28 Jan 2006, 18:33   #1
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of
Return of the Cluster Alliance?

With the very small size that the top allies will be able to have this round (probably no more then 65 or so) the idea of a cluster alliance may be viable again. Simply put you have ten galaxies with a minimum of 12 players each, meaning you have at least 120 planets to draw from, twice then number of players as a big ally! Now if you've had any experiance with cluster allies in the past you know that they tend to be very disorganized and it was difficult to get people to send ships. If however you could get some decent orginization and a reasonable commitment from players you might be able to make it work, especially later in the round when the average gal size may grow to 15 or even 20 meaning you could have upwards of 200 planets to draw from. Anyway it's just a thought, probably a nice pipe dream on my part, but it would be fun to see a cluster alliance kick some regular alliance in the pants!

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2006, 20:43   #2
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Return of the Cluster Alliance?

Cluster alliances don't work.

People put a bit of time in trying to sort things for the first week (if you're lucky) then you just find people coming in when they need defence, screaming a bit about this defence they need, then being ignored and never coming back in the channel.
Unread 28 Jan 2006, 21:39   #3
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

Usually someone breaks the NAP and then there is too much attacking in cluster. It could work but only for those who are willing to give as much as they get.
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 00:41   #4
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

Cluster alliances are not practical because people already have alliances that give the same benefits as cluster alliances. Cluster alliances only work when they use people who don't already have an allegiance.
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 01:47   #5
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

I agree with everything posted above, I have seen them work for a while early in rounds in the past, but not since round 5 or so. Part of the big change was that allies have become all important and so you couldn't work with a cluster ally. So since allies are finally be limited in the game again I figured it would be at least worth considering again. But as Bashar has mentioned, it really only works with nonallied players.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 04:06   #6
Teargas
Aberrant Shadows

Teargas will become famous soon enoughTeargas will become famous soon enough

In my opinion the only major reason it worked back in the days of the blocks was because that's the only way big plays could go on. These planets weren't able to go after the huge alliances so it brought forth the importance of the cluster. Those days are long gone though I'm afraid.

Round 2-10: None
Round 15-16: [BIG]
IRC: Tchort / Frank
Teargas is offline   Reply With Quote