User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Closed Thread
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 11:14   #1
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future
[Declined]Incoming in galaxy (MoW)

Well i was thinking of some uses for an MoW, besides the pretty colours.

Only thing i could really come up with is something from a defensive point of view. how about making it possible for them to have some sort of tickbox behind incs in galaxyscreen to say if those incs are covered.
This would make it alot more easy (especcially for more inactive gals) to see if incs have been reported/covered and give the MoW some use after all these rounds. obviously GC could have this option aswell for the entire gal. Single planets could do it on themselves maybe.

what do you think about it?
maybe some small changes to go with it, but as a general idea i think it would be a nice addition.
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 14:55   #2
Melesse
The Nephilim

Melesse is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Incoming in galaxy

I mentioned something similiar to this under Alliance Defense Calls as well. It would also be nice to have scans show up in the gal incoming screen, or somehting like that. Or have a seperate Gal Defense page where the MoW can paste scans and analysis of the incoming and declare them covered. You can do it in the forum now, but it's a little clunky

Melesse
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 15:10   #3
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

yes something like that, finally give the MoW some use as when the minister bonusses dissapeared he lost all uses tbh.
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 15:12   #4
Rocko

Rocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of light

hmmm an interactive Gal incomming page,.. where you can add your own incomming, scans, ships deffending etc,...
the MoW cud then do it for ANY planet, so those not there could be pasted onto this page and people can then log on, and find out sooner what is needed then.
For example,
u wake up to see your clock sayin 8.55 so u rush to the computer, turn it on, wait for it to load up,. connect to internet,., Argh it's 8.58,.. Arggh incomming to the gal,.. Arggh who needs what?! I know, i'll look on the Gal incomming page,.. planet # 3 needs anti frig,.. #18 needs anti crui,..
bish bash bosh off they go 8.59.58 2 seconds to spare,
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 19:40   #5
barney
Ex-Visionary

barney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the rough

i think the ideas about marking incs as covered/reported have been previously discarded because of unfreindly/trustworty ppl screwing each other over in a more formal way. altho a place to stash FA/unit scans of attackers where all the galaxy could see them for your own planet (the MoW can add for all). would be a good addition, the only problem i could think of would be the MoW removing scans etc.. but maybe the MoW can only alter until the planet chages it for himself.
r11 NoS (16:9:10)
r12 VsN (22:2:1)
r13 VsN BC (10:10:10) - R.I.P.
r14 xVx Head BC (2:8:3)
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 19:50   #6
Melesse
The Nephilim

Barney, I think the solution to that though is a trustworthy MoW and officers in general. Yea, an untrustworthy gent could do some damage there in getting incoming covered, but after the second time, his gig is up.

I think there should be a small comment section for each one as well, where the MoW can post what he thinks the fleet is if the planet is not online for a Fleet Scan. Or where he can post for specific ships. For example, for a Zero Loss defense (only time it's worth defending in my opinion, unless they include SK's), you might post that X:Y:Z needs Syrens, Guardians and Roaches only please. That would help some of the newbies that seem to love throwing their fleets willy nilly.

Additionally, we need to come up with something for the MoC to do, with the lack of Cluster Alliances, and just in general disorganization of galaxies.

Melesse
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 20:30   #7
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

I think it's worth a try at least...
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 20:37   #8
cypher
U've been Moderated

well you could always give ALL the planets the option to allow the mow/gc to set it or not, if they can't change it they can't... but personally in my gals i like to trust the people i work with... what use is it to be in a gal when you can't trust people....

with that option in it i think it's a great addition to the game
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 21:11   #9
Melesse
The Nephilim

Agreed Cypher. And that way the people who don't want to participate in the gal don't really have to.

Melesse
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 23:14   #10
Guran
Puppet Master

Guran will become famous soon enoughGuran will become famous soon enough

Love this idea. Will it be done for R14? Doubt it.
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 16:58   #11
Artuaistic
Artu

Artuaistic is infamous around these partsArtuaistic is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guran
Love this idea. Will it be done for R14? Doubt it.
i agree with the idea part. as 2 wether it will b introduced in r14, ill keep an open mind. would b great if it was, but i guess it will depend on how many things there has 2 b done in the beta testing after havoc and wether PA feel the same as we do. which, i think is the main question.
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 17:19   #12
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher
well you could always give ALL the planets the option to allow the mow/gc to set it or not, if they can't change it they can't... but personally in my gals i like to trust the people i work with... what use is it to be in a gal when you can't trust people....

with that option in it i think it's a great addition to the game
I agree, this is a great idea as long as that option is in there.

There's been periods this round where I wouldn't trust my galaxy to not screw me over, whereas at other times I could. Welcome to fluid politics, I guess.
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 17:20   #13
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

well, to some extent it'd be a nice idea, but there's not much extra you can do that you can't do on the politics page apart from having it all on one page. And it'd wreck the formatting for all those still in 800x600 - I'm not sure where you'd want to put the checkbox / link / whatever.
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 17:23   #14
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

While it was mentioned above about the abuse factor (which btw isnt as easy to sort as some think, its great in theory saying they will only do it once but its not always as easy as that. Your GC and Ministers can often screw you over as much as they like and you know about it but if they have enough support, for example you being a member of one block while majority is fromm the other, you stand little chance of resolving things) it was actually the the mistake problem which seemed to be the biggest issue on the other thread

Lets say you get incoming eta 7. You alliance sends ships and the MoW reports it as covered. For whatever reason some defence pulls but your MoW is offline. Your planet remains marked as covered and your galaxy doesnt send defence. Now obviously in a top galaxy it may be fine as activity of all will be high enough, but in lesser galaxies it could play a part.

The abuse and mistake issues do to me make this a feature i'm very uneasy. I'm all for giving the mow something to do do but you need to protect people a bit from abuse or other stupidity I would say allow the mow to attach scans, make comments but also allow the player in question be able to comment also so they could reply in case its wrong or changes
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 17:40   #15
god113
Ex-Player

god113 has a spectacular aura aboutgod113 has a spectacular aura about

I agree with Wakey. And another problem with a tickbox is that something being covered or not is a matter of opinion (unless of course there are no losses for defence and no roids are lost). Something which may be 'covered' (as much as can be spared on def to that planet has been, and chances are attackers won't land) before, when new def ships are available might be uncovered. So I don't think a tickbox scheme would be very effective.

I think the MoW just being able to leave a comment would be good enough. Then you could tick a box somewhere (preferences page?) to allow your MoW to leave comments when you have incommings. And of course, each player can change the comment themselves. Just leaving a comment doesn't leave much room for successful abuse, and sure would help with the situation Rocko so wonderfully described.
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 18:12   #16
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Gal forums/Mirc/com unit/Overview all great ways of communication and whichever is easiest to use can be used tbh.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 20:20   #17
god113
Ex-Player

god113 has a spectacular aura aboutgod113 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah02
Gal forums/Mirc/com unit/Overview all great ways of communication and whichever is easiest to use can be used tbh.
If you have a few seconds/minutes up to a tick and your galaxy has massive incommings, the last thing on your mind is 'OH MY, I MUST REALLY CHECK THE GAL FORUM'. And yes most people use mirc/com unit, although it isn't ideal if you have very little time to react. With the amount of people who idle and take minutes to repond, that added with the fact that some people just don't use it.

I don't see anything wrong with adding another forum of communication.
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 21:32   #18
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

I am afraid I am fully against this idea, unless someone comes up with a different argument in the future.

My reasoning, gal defence is one of the few things left to skill. This will remove a lot of that. Any old noob can send defence to a planet uncovered. You need someone online, on irc, nd orgainsed, to send def to the most appropriate place.

Just get rid of MoW, its wa waste of space.
Unread 9 Jun 2005, 02:19   #19
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

rather than trying to find something to do for the red colored planet we call MoW.... why not aknowledge that there isn't a need for him in today's PA. He was useful when the game was about gal attacks, but it is not so anymore.
Defense is taken care of by whoever is online at the time of an attack. Get rid of the MoW, use the red color as a title you give to the gal Champion (highest score or highest roid number or most dedicated defender). you'be be surprised how it can boost the activity of fellow gal members.
Unread 9 Jun 2005, 03:17   #20
Melesse
The Nephilim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest
My reasoning, gal defence is one of the few things left to skill. This will remove a lot of that. Any old noob can send defence to a planet uncovered. You need someone online, on irc, nd orgainsed, to send def to the most appropriate place.
Which is why it hardly happens? lol.

Well, the assumption I was working from (and I can only assume other people in this thread were) is that MoW was something that the creators meant to have a purpose, so we were looking to fill that hole.

I've been MoW several times, and I usually do alright on the Gal Forum, it can just be very time consuming, thus I was looking to save myself some time, such as just before a tick lol. That and my wife hates the amount of time I spend on PA :-/

Meh, getting rid of it would work as well, along with MoC likely. Both are equally as useful.

Melesse
Unread 9 Jun 2005, 07:50   #21
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil
Defense is taken care of by whoever is online at the time of an attack. Get rid of the MoW, use the red color as a title you give to the gal Champion (highest score or highest roid number or most dedicated defender). you'be be surprised how it can boost the activity of fellow gal members.
And declare to your enemies who needs the most agressive attack? who needs the most waves? the most scanning/other activity checks?

I am dubious.

I think a 'covered' tickbox and a place to paste a calc URL (so others can check the anticipated battle and decide for themselves whether it is covered or not) might be a better idea.

Obviously, the trade offs for doing that means that the more unsavoury ruffians in your gal might defend you solely for the salvage, and/or might give out the calc to your enemy. But then again, you do have the choice of whether to let the MoW from having this option.

Plus, at least in my gal, many a calc was to be found on the forum - or more specifically scans of the attacker(s), ships that were being launched to defend etc.

This way, it lets people at a glance see whether incoming is covered. If it is marginal, then there is room for a calc url to confirm. This is at the cost of reduced security.

whatcha reckon?
Unread 9 Jun 2005, 10:39   #22
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest
I am afraid I am fully against this idea, unless someone comes up with a different argument in the future.

Just get rid of MoW, its wa waste of space.
Actually the MoW does play an important part still, especially when we get the "all ministers have to vote on exile" back next round. It helps reduce the impact a GC can have with the exiles, after all we have seen some GC's going a bit crazy with the exiles, often againts the wishes of some of the other Ministers. It forces the GC to be a bit more accountable, especially when its so hard at times to get a GC removed no matter what they do
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
Unread 10 Jun 2005, 11:54   #23
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: [Declined]Incoming in galaxy (MoW)

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=184434