User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 29 Oct 2005, 13:09   #1
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
Netgear DG834G problem :|

I have a Netgear DG834G with the latest firmware V3.01.25. My computer is wired to it via the supplied cable and downloading P2P etc. works fine. However, only in the last week, something 'odd' and 'annoying' has started to happen. I can be browsing websites and all of a sudden it'll stop working. I have to either manually reboot the router or disable then re-enable the LAN then it'll work for a minute then the same problem occurs over and over. If I'm using a P2P app and I decide to go onto a website, after about a min. the same problem occurs and the P2P app. downloads go down to 0kb/s. As soon as I close the browser (Firefox), the downloads start again immediately! My sister on her wireless laptop has no problems.

The ethernet port on my computer is a Intel on-board NIC. I've just ordered a Netgear Gigabit PCI adapater incase this resolves my problem but what if it doesn't - what could be up? I've checked all my ADSL settings and they're correct.

Help me please - thanks.
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores

Last edited by Androme; 29 Oct 2005 at 13:30.
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Oct 2005, 15:03   #2
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts
Re: Netgear DG834G problem :|

did you consider that perhaps, for some odd undescribable reason, both apps are being assigned the same port? Check port forwarding, see if that has any double ports. Other then that and the router dieing on you, I'm afraid I have no idea.

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Oct 2005, 15:15   #3
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Thank-you but I seemed to have solved it now.

I turned off ZoneAlarm Security Suite v6.x according to some tip on the Netgear site saying software firewalls can sometimes cause problems and it's solved the problem! I've turned on Windows Firewall for now.

Which is a bit of a bitch as I've bought around 4 routers in the past experiencing similar problems now only to find out it was ZoneAlarm all along :|
----------retired-------
Unread 29 Oct 2005, 17:10   #4
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Zone Alarm caused me all sorts too.

I use Kerio Free now with router f/w disabled.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Oct 2005, 13:34   #5
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Well the problem has returned now and I've even turned off Windows Firewall with the same problem. I'm having to click on the "Repair" button on the LAN Support tab every 10 seconds of browsing because the connection just dies.
----------retired-------
Unread 30 Oct 2005, 13:38   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Hmm, that's mighty odd.
I can't really think why it should be doing that if you've got no firewall on whatsoever.

However, I think your plan of ordering another NIC is a good one.
Given that you've had 4 routers which appear to act the same way, the common factor here is that you've had the same network card. It could be that its dying.

There is one final option - your cable could be knackered. Try another one if the new network card doesn't work.
Unread 30 Oct 2005, 14:36   #7
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Cheers megla - I'll edit this post when I get the new NIC card

Also, all of a sudden, P2P apps. are killing the connection - never happened before. I've tried limiting the no. of connections in Azur~ alas no luck :|

Could all of these problems be something the ISP are imposing(Tiscali)?
----------retired-------

Last edited by Androme; 30 Oct 2005 at 15:53.
Unread 2 Nov 2005, 21:00   #8
Androme
☆ ♥ 

*EDIT* - so far so good - what I've done is manually configure my IP - however, port forwarding hasn't been turned on for this IP I've given myself AND YET, I have no problems. Now when I turn on port forwarding by selecting the relevant ports under "LAN Server IP Address" and setting that to the same IP I've just given myself on the LAN, that's when the problems start. So how do I get around this? Should I just set the LAN Server IP Addy to be the same as the router or something?
----------retired-------